Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,784 reviews matching the search
Work with some great people
Sales Associate - Hardware (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 16, 2016
Love working with my team. Everyone is super friendly and generous with their knowledge. My immediate manager is a wonderful lady, and is always on hand to support her staff. You do find that you are called upon to take on lots of tasks outside of your actual job remit. Staffing has been a pretty big issue, and turnover is pretty high. i think this would be resolved by employing the right people for the job, and not simply piling things onto existing staff - because they all seem to leave because of workload expectations. Sadly this is a big store run with a small store mentality.
Pros
Great workmates
Cons
High expectations - not great money
Good luck with the C-wood Store, management is Dishonest and loves to play the Run-A-Round Game!!!!
auto Parts (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ONAugust 2, 2016
Only favourites get advancements, management will tell you there are no opening in other areas in store but will put job posting on Job websites. Then threaten you with loss of hours. Oh and don't call in sick or management will give you the run around when you bring in your $20 Doc Note telling you to get another note with more infomation of ailment .
Pros
Fellow employees are great!!!
Cons
Management, Management, management oh and needs a new owner and an overhaul of managers.
hard work little pay
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 5, 2016
working in the auto shop people always want things done yesterday at half price, they try to strong arm you over the counter and yell at you in the shop, and the managers do not have your back they try to pile as many cars as they can in the auto shop without thinking about how many people they had on that day, in a hour sometimes i had 4 cars to do all with oil changes and tire rotations. setup for one car took about 10 minutes that includes finding the car pulling it in writing the work order and the work took another 10-20 if everything went smoothly, but with cars they never do, you learn to work around it and get better its a really difficult learning curve and I loved it.
Good management, good store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2016
Though I worked at Canadian Tire some years ago I will always remember my department manager; he was a cool guy, laid back and easy to talk to. Out of all the managers I've met in my lifetime I'd definitely have to say the manager I had at Canadian Tire definitely was the easiest to talk to and get along with.
He was an understanding guy, and always knew how to have a good time at work while also setting the standard for his employees.
Pros
relaxed work environment, good managers
Cons
late nightshift hours (12am or later)
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NSAugust 18, 2016
Your daily routine depends on your shift, but is very well laid out. I have learned many things regarding customer service and consumers. At present, I have learned many things regarding the hardware department, cash and look forward to learning more.

All of my co-workers are great to work with. They are pleasant and always willing to help out.

The hardest part of my job are the physical requirements. The most enjoyable parts of my job include helping people, always having the opportunity to learn more, being responsible for your own department, working with great people, always having the opportunity to move forward and being compensated for your advancements.
Low stress environment providing responsibility
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONAugust 19, 2016
The average day as a part-time employee includes ensuring a well stocked department. Throughout each shift various tasks would be assigned while tending to customers. Before the store closed all departments would have to clean and fix up all isles to be prepared for the next morning. I learned all the responsibilities of managing a department by myself after the supervisor left. Also, to work with other department co-workers to provide information and satisfaction to all customers.
Pros
Low stress, easy-going job
Cons
Not the best hours
Excellent team work with great staff
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONAugust 22, 2016
Unloaded trucks in the morning and separated the products for staging on the store floor. Quarantining seasonal products for future sales or holidays. Learned how to use a RF gun for locating/unlocating items in the warehouse and floor using a Fast Find program. Trained to operate forklift which was used to transport skids of products into trucks or to the garden centre. Prepared schedules for a team of 9 under my supervision in the warehouse. Hardest part of the job was some excessive handling of large products (gazebos, treadmills, garden sheds) that were not placed on skids during shipping.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
commuting
great company to work for
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work is always a fun and an enjoyable experience. I can honestly say I do not remember having a bad day . I love the people I work with. We are a great group of employees there is aproximatly at any given time 70 to 80 employees and I get along with all. The hardest part is probably the irate customers . But that doesn't happen all the time . I just do my best and try to put my self in their shoes and their feelings . Things usually work out .
Soul-Sucking and Horrible management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2016
All of the managers at the Store I worked at were unproffessional and expected too much of their employees. They get annoyed when you ask questions about a task and either gossip about you behind your back or simply yell in your face if you muck something up. This lead to many of the employees coming and leaving in a bad mood and also creating a mediocre customer experience because of this. If you get hired at Canadian Tire, expect to hate your job after the first month.
Pros
Easy 80% of the time but boring
Cons
Terrible management
Great for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 24, 2016
Canadian Tire was great for a temporary job or being in school. Helping customers find desired products should be the main focus but ensuring shelves were stocked and neat is more the main responsibility. I learned the whole store very quickly although you are only really assigned to one department. You can see that when you are shopping in the store because most staff won't be able to help you if the item you are looking for is not in their department.
Productive Workplace and Friendly Staff/Management
Cashier and stock person (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical workday I would run the till and bag items. I would also stock shelves, it all depended on what job I was assigned to that day. I learned good customer service skills and how to locate things throughout a store quickly and efficiently. The management was very easy to get along with and they worked well with the staff as a team to get the jobs done. I think the hardest part of the job was being short staffed on busy days with only very few tills at my location. The most enjoyable part of the job was how everyone seemed like one big family, when I left the job due to moving cities they gave me a card that everyone had signed.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
very few vacation hours
Always a learning experience
Cashier,sales.merchandising (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2016
I dealt with all types of people everyday and learned to adapt to each individual.Everyday was a new adventure.A fast paced environment.The people i worked with were polite,hardworking and always helpful.Management tried to be as helpful and polite as they could be.Tho stressful at times i learned to take a deep breath and relax.The hardest part was dealing with those who refuse to believe anything u say tho that is what u were taught to say and do.Everyday was a challenge and i am proud to say i met those challenges with pride and a job well done.
Pros
Payed breaks
Cons
Good hours, but low pay for physical demanding job.
Crew Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 15, 2016
You will get 40 hours a week with them. But the work is really physical throughout the day. 10 hour shifts, and 2 30 minute breaks are nice. The pay however is only $13- 14 per hour. You are on your feet all day and lifting between 30lbs - 60lbs almost every other 30 seconds to 60 seconds. It is a good way to keep fit, but the pay should be more. This is through the Adecco Agency. Canadian Tire starts at $16, which I still think is low.
Pros
Long breaks, go at your own pace
Cons
Heavy consistent lifting up to 50lbs. Pay should be more for type of work.
Stock shelves, Liaise with/assist customers, Assist in supervisor objectives.
Floor Crew/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLAugust 3, 2016
A typical work day for myself begins by observing what duties need to be assigned to specific staff members. The highest priority duties are always completed first.
The management/supervisors are easy to get along with and are always open to any opinions I have to offer. If I believe a task may be completed in a more effective manner, I will always make suggestions by voicing my opinion.
My co-workers generally come to myself to have their daily duties assigned to them.
The hardest part of my job is getting all jobs completed to my own standards. I believe there is always room for improvement.
Pros
Flexibility when needing time off
Cons
No set schedule
too much to be done for the amout of reward
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  yonge and churchJuly 12, 2016
-Ive done much more at this job than i have in this current job and it wasn't worth the treatment/pay.
-Ive learned to drive and use a forklift in a safe way.
-The management at this location didnt seem to really want to be there and seemed like there was minimal care for their jobs or others.
-The co-workers were helpful at times but could have had a better drive but that also come back on the managers.
-The hardest part of this job was using the forkclift in the winter time to take skids of salt around the store in minus 20 or 30 degree weather.
-The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting some of the truck drivers because some of them were actually interesting.
Fun workplace
Merchandising product on shelves (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
I gained cashier skills, customers service skills, skills in dealing with difficult customers, and stoking and cleaning up shelves so that customers can find things easier and our shelves look nice, tidy, and clean. The hardest part of working at Canadian Tire is that they didn't always separate the breaks as good as they should have, not leaving a long enough between the breaks.
Pros
developing skills
Cons
dealing with mean managers
Overall good place to work and gain valuable work experince.
Auto Serivce Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 13, 2016
At Canadian Tire a typical work day is usually very busy. It involves many aspects from dealing with all types of customers to cleaning and stocking product. With my many years of experience I have learned that you have to really listen to your customers needs. Our management team is one the best I have worked for. My co-works are great to work with and I am proud to call most my friends.
An experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
I learned about many different departments while at Canadian Tire; ranging from automotive to housewares. Unfortunately, during busy times, it was necessary for me to provide customer service in many different areas of the store due to a sometimes lack of staff in other sections The problem with this is, for different sections, I only knew basic information rather than specific. I was a part-time employee, but near the end of my time with Canadian Tire, I was working 40 hours a week; it was hard to manage school with so many hours. However, my coworkers in my section were very friendly, as were some of the managers, and in the end I would say that the staff made my time at Canadian Tire enjoyable.
Pros
Adjusted to my schedule (at first).
Cons
Part-time 40 hours.
Fast Paced Environment Fun Work Place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy considering that it is a big company and a lot of people shop there. So that means that it is hard to please every single customer that walks through the door. With that being said everyone stays professional and tries our best to please them as much as we can. The managers are all pretty easy to get along with as long as your not fooling around on the job. My co-workers and I got very close, sort of like a family, so they make the job better even on the worst days. The hardest part of the job is when you're having a bad day and you get a customer who is very angry with you about something you have no control over, but that is going to happen anywhere. I enjoy going to work most days because I like my job.
Excellent work relations
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 10, 2016
My typical day involves electrical maintenance and repairs to equipment used in the distribution center.
It is great company to work for, I would recommend it to anyone.
My only problem is my shift. I have been working midnight for over eleven years. I am finding it a little difficult to do the continuous midnight shift.
Pros
I am confortable working with all the equipment in the DC
Cons
Midnight shift

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location