Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 2,099 reviews matching the search
Fullfilling job, enjoyed being of service to customers
Sales Associate$ (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 January 2017
The job included, not only serving customers, but also maintaining stock levels on the sales floor, general cleaning duties. I also enjoyed very much working closely with mechanics.
I did learn an awful lot about car parts and what different accessories were for.
Management was alright for the most part. Dealers were a little different. Once I reached a managers position I worked very hard, once I was told what my salary would be, it was a terrible disappointment.
For most part my co-workers were awesome, helpful when I did not know anything about cars, and great when I was more seasoned.
The hardest part of the work was lifting batteries from the shelves, it is difficult whet you have to reach higher for a heavy item.
The best part of the job was enjoying to see a satisfied customer and the interactions with most of the staff.
Pros
Good customer relations
Cons
Pay not not quite relative to job responsibilities
A family-like atmosphere for the most part
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - count till to ensure correct, sign in, deal with customers with sales and returns, sell hunting/fishing licenses, as well as schedule breaks for all staff. During slow times I was being trained to merchandise and stock shelves, do price changes, count outages, etc

Management - General Manager was awesome, couldn't ask for a better manager. Owner was "too present" at times and wasn't always friendly to customers or staff.

Co-workers - for the most part they were really friendly and helpful when teaching new concepts.

Hardest part of the job - not getting paid for the full time I was working and having to wait for a full year for benefits that weren't that great.

Most enjoyable part of the job - customers, learning new skills, doing a job well
Pros
Received hours as promised, friendly staff, decent wage, willing to train you in different areas
Cons
Takes a year before you receive benefits, not being paid for time spent counting your till before and after shift
Amazing Company
Asset Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON7 January 2017
School of teaching and training
Room for advancement
Diversified workforce and leadership
Great employee benefits program
Strong service and support
Pros
Strong Corporate Culture
Cons
Salary could be more competitive
Its okay for students
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 February 2017
Good company. But doesn't pay as much for some of the positions worked. Employees get paid for barely doing work. Management is okay but most managers are rarely putting in the effort. Work seems repetitive and pay is minimum for amount of work put in. Feel the burden of management when something is done wrong. Never feel any relief when work is done properly. No common sense. Constantly feel like I'm doing other jobs in the company on top of my own.
Pros
I get to go home
Cons
Management and salary
well paced. work from home
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
Past Employee
Office Accounting (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire Store 299 Calgary, AB5 October 2016
The office position was great for 3 years with team spirit and management being supportive and envolved. The last year that I was employed there was very different, but this is probably because of management change as well as policy and procedure changes. I learned a lot during my time there mostly from the career employees who cared about the store and were very involved with assisting new employees. Good Luck to all envolved in the new administration and hopefully all goes well for both employees and management.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
The managements pressure to accomplish tasks within an unrealistic time period.
Enjoyed working with the public
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB17 February 2017
I loved working for Canadian Tire, the customers were fun and my co-workers all went above and beyond for them. I was named bird whisperer because I was able to get a sparrow marked for death that night out the garden doors. I will remember that all my life. My boss was a good man who gave praise rarely so when he did it meant something. The people I worked with were very kind and efficient.
Good Temporary Job
Pro-Active Team (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2016
The job is rather straight forward, although I find some management and staff have low demeanor which sucks to be around. Start at minimum with opportunities to advance, including profit sharing. But have to hang around for too long to make any real money. The job security is definitely there, that goes without saying if you are a good employee they will keep you around, Would recommend for high school or college students as a part time job, unless you really enjoy retail.
Pros
Advancement/benefit opportunities
Cons
Low Staff Demeanor
Fun place to work, great team of people, productive and educational
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 September 2016
A busy day at work was always guaranteed, I learned to deal with customers well and give people an easier shopping experience. The management was excellent and my co-workers were helpful, friendly and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was when the store was packed full of customers so it would be difficult to tend to every single person who needed help. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of being able to help a customer and seeing them walk away happy with the intended product and possibly more.
Pros
Flexible break times, free staff lunch or breakfast roughly once a month
Great Canadian Company
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 January 2017
I worked at Canadian Tire Warehouse for about 41/2 yrs as a temp and under limited time contract. Most jobs fairly easy to learn. If you can read a label and move boxes you can do it. I often exceeded the required work quota, sometimes by 100%. I did get more 'preferred jobs' for working hard. Thought I was deserving of a full-time job, but I didn't get one. The social/cultural factor that was important to them, I don't have. I work hard, I'm polite and professional, but I'm not real chatty.

Managers are well trained and professional, but there is a definite pecking order in the hierarchy. Overall I think it was a mutually beneficial experience. I learned a lot, and worked a lot. I'm very happy to have helped out at a great Canadian Company.
Great people and fun environment
Stock Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS14 February 2017
The job itself was good, but the hourly wage was not enough to support my family. The hours were great but when the store was sold , I got layed off with the opportunity to reapply but the hours spent there going towards my raise was reset. I did not agree with this.
Pros
Great people and great environment
Cons
Store was sold to new managment
Very little regard given to staff commitment or development
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2016
CDN Tire is a franchise operation which results in frequent management/owner changes. Unfortunately it can be difficult adjusting to these changes. It appears that the trend is to hire part time students at minimum wage without benefits.
Pros
Vehicle service discounts
Cons
No salary increases. normal to go 2-3 years or longer without
Good place to work when starting out
Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC4 February 2017
Typically a day consistes of doing oil changes , brakes and replacing fluids. Very nice people to work with and management has been very helpful. I enjoy learning from the other Red Seal mechanics, Canadian Tire provides a good learning environment, unfortunately I need to find employment with more chance of advancement.
extreme politics
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
- dirty politics
- almost no chances of advancement
- below industry wages
- few good folks that will assist you in achieving daily tasks or overcome issues
- lack of direction (pretty much every department is doing there own thing with no intention of achieving the greater good
- ego problems = extremely high
not a great place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 February 2017
very disorganized and unhappy, large turn over rate for employees, the staff was typically fun to work with, learned a lot from fellow promotional department staff, hours were never steady or regular, hard to make plans with/for family
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
bad management
Great work/life balance
Finance Systems Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2016
A good place to work if you're looking for work/life balance. The culture differs between the different business units and individual departments but overall, the culture is friendly.
Busy and proactive environment with staff who work easily as a team
Sports department (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 February 2017
During a workday there would be many customers to help, even outside of our department. I would clean and tidy up my areas in order to maintain an acceptable work place. I learned how to deal with angry customers properly. The management was excellent and friendly towards staff and customers. The staff had no problem working together in order to help customers. The hardest part of th job was dealing with extra customers when short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a customer was helped and they are very appreciative of what you did for them.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
When short staffed it is difficult
Sales Associate-Automotive Parts (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC27 January 2017
A typical day consisted of: assisting customers via telephone/in person, stocking shelves, maintaining certain departments..etc.
I learned an abundance about automotive parts (at the time) for a girl who went in with little to no knowledge on typical components on a vehicle.
Management was around, however, never usually associated with myself or many others.
The workplace was filled with good people who were ready, and willing to work.
The hardest part of the job was the "not knowing" factor. I didn't (and still do not) know everything about anything, so there were times when I would have to improvise/figure out answers for customers. It was difficult, but taught me great skills about problem solving, and thinking on the spot, all while being efficient.
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I was in the automotive department. It brought me steps closer to where I am now, and I learned a lot.
Pros
Reliable hours
Cons
Management stayed distant, and unknown for the most part
exciting andchallenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  windsor ,ON13 December 2016
evry day had chance to meet new people and face to face interaction helped to builup contacts.each day was challenging in achiving the targets required by the company
Pros
good salary
Cons
no job security
lots of daily tasks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2016
bad management
rude employees
new and returning customers
no benefits
high staff turnover
low compensation
too much work drama
no advancement
Pros
Usually busy
Cons
bad management, too much drama