Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,688 reviews matching the search
Fun if you have friends to work with, hours aren't the best
Stock Person, Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 24, 2016
Long hours always on your feet. I learned how to face items, report damaged items, find items using a hand-held scanner, locate items up high on top shelves using a ladder, creating price tags and labels. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers who happened to be friends from school. The hardest part was that my feet and legs would become so sore. Very short shifts during the weekdays if you are a student (4 - 4.5 hours). Only long shifts available for students are on weekends (8 hours).
Pros
Fun if your friends are there to keep you company while you work
Cons
Always on your feet
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABMay 25, 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
Productive, slow pace working environment. Very Educational
Cashier, Sales Associate(Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 2, 2016
I really enjoy working at Canadian Tire, the environment is suitable for a lot of people, I would prefer a more fast pace environment, where I can use most of my skills. Canadian Tire is generally a slow pace environment depending on the time of year which can be stressful as you can't estimate accurately when it will be fast pace environment. The pay is rather low, they offer the bare minimum of minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible hours, Great Engagement, Great Management
Cons
Not known for the best customer service, stressful
Great employees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Typical day at work is being a cashier and also dealing with people at customer service returning items.
I learned great customer service, dealing with the public all day and making customers satisfy about there experience.
The management is not the best since i started at canadian tire i have had 5 different cash managers.
My co-workers are great people and their presence makes you want to be at work.
The hardest part of my job is requesting hours, when your not in school you need money to live life and management has a hard time giving people more hours compared to people who are in school and getting more hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job is being around people who understand you.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
fun workplace
Promotional Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  st.james polo park winnipeg manitobaMay 9, 2016
everyday is an exciting day to work at canadian tire you will learn how to deal with different kind of person or customers.you need to have a lot of patience.i really enjoyed working at canadian tire because i have a harmonious relationship with my co-workers the hardest part of my job is if you encountered a mean customers but at the end of the day you can see smile in our face because we tried to polite with them,but the most fun and enjoyable is if you see their face(customers) that they are happy because you tried to help them with smile.
Pros
free lunches every moth
Cons
full time hours
great fun workplace nor room for advancement
Prep cook / grill cook (Current Employee) –  by town grillMay 17, 2016
working at the canadian tire centre is a great place to work its fun, you work with nice people but they have no room for moving up in the system ive been there for 3 years now and i have not recieved any sort of salary buff or anything like that i have been doing the same work for the 3 years looking for more out of them
Pros
you get one free meal a shift and you get to hang out with some cool people
Cons
traffic, no raise
Great way to develop time management skills and to handle stress
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work is generally very busy. Customer service is expected to be of highest quality, along with putting away new stock, ordering out-of-stock items, organizing respective departments, etc. This job definitely helps with prioritizing all the work that needs to be done. It also helps quite a bit with one's ability to handle stress. The hardest part of the job was holiday hours, while customers must be taken care of and the department must be kept in order. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work as a cashier would entail working with the public and processing services to customers. Working the till and learning how to do cash and credit card interactions. I learned a lot working this job, working well with others, customer relations, working under pressure and standing for long periods. The most enjoyable part of my day was when customers complemented me on my performance and left the store with a smile.
Pros
Great Company to work for
Cons
Standing for long periods
Work Hard and Enjoy it
Fill Crew/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2016
Canadian Tire stores are offering the best tools you can use for everyday life from households, sports, plumbing, cars and automative stuff and outdoor facilities that also extended to gardening.

First thing in the morning we are accepting deliveries, as a fill crew we are responsible for filling in the shelves with stocks. There were days that manpower were less, as a team we need to help one another. They are strict with the rules and implement new one to do the job efficiently. The hardest part of our work as a woman, we are carrying heavy loads of items. I am very grateful to my co-workers and managers because they are approachable, friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Working hard equals to money
Cons
off peak in the store you have less hours of work
Good products, good innovations, good atmosphere
Canadian Tire Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 24, 2016
Canadian Tire Corporation offers benefits and profit sharing to staff of a certain length of tenure. Safety policies and on-line training is available, though some is only available at the store which means spending off-time at work without remuneration.

However, there is room for advancement and moving among departments.
Pros
friendly fellow staff
Cons
need full time hours
Productive and very friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work for a cashier at Canadian Tire stands at the front of the tills and offers to help customers if in need. Cashiers also clean, do returns, and refill the toilet paper in the washrooms. I learned valuable customer service skills and social skills as well. I've also learned how to manage and count a till. The management was very good. Friendly co-workers made it easier to pass the day. The hardest part about being a cashier was trying to help and explain situations to angry customers. But the most enjoyable part of my job was becoming friends with my co-workers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
If the store was slow, there was nothing to do.
Fun workplace where you meet lots of new people.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
Working in the seasonal section at Canadian Tire was a good experience for the most part. The work was rather basic: keep your section tidy and help the customers find anything that they're looking for. Aside from the occasional hasty customer, there was not too much wrong with the store... Until we got a new manager who did not have a clue how to handle us, that's when things went slightly awry, and is about the time that I left the company.
Pros
meeting people, learning customer service
Cons
not many hours, the odd confrontational customer
Not a great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 22, 2016
I only worked at Canadian Tire for a short time. At first everything was great. The people were nice and I enjoyed working but when the winter came the store manager started letting people go for no reason. They stopped giving me hours totally out of the blue. I never did anything wrong and when I asked if I would be getting an hours again my manager lied to me saying that I would be getting shifts again at the beginning of April. I found out from one of my co-workers that since I was unable to work full-time due to the fact that I am still in school that they just stopped giving me hours in hopes that I would quit. I am not currently working there
Cons
Lied too
Productive.
House Ware Department (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 25, 2016
Typical day at work: Assisting customer's, and co workers. Making labels. Quick Pick List. Signage. Putting away stock. Merchandising. Clean work area. Cashier. What I learned: My strengths, and weaknesses. Management: (Store Manager) is bitter, rigid, unfair, and abusive to staff. Co-workers: The best team I ever worked with. The hardest part of the job: Harassment from store manager. What I disliked: The constant monitoring of what I said, what I did, where I was, at all times from manager's. What I enjoyed: From my customer's: talk, listen, find what they needed, and getting to know them. From co-workers: Our friendships, fun, and laughter.
Pros
Complements from my supervisor's on a job well done. Spending time with co-workers during break time, and lunch.
Cons
Lack of respect, and unappreciated.
Enjoyable staff horrible work environment
Automotive Retail (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 18, 2016
I find the job is asked of many irrelevant things and the mangers aren't reasonable with their shift arrangements. They tend to make excuses for verbal agreements. Overall this job isn't worth the money i earn but til i can attain another job i'm stuck with this one
Pros
Discount you get and the knowledge i earnd from automotive
Cons
The mangement and the lack of fairness with the staff
How I felt about Canadian Tire
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2016
It was a nice job at the start but Management is what I would say was the tough part of the job. They would come down on you if the truck was not unloaded and the warehouse was completely full of merchandise. So I didn't really like management. I would say the best part of the job was the fact it was my first job ever and it paid for my whole university education. Some of my coworkers were ok but not all. It was like a battleground with everyone who didn't like someone would start arguements with them and that wasn't pleasant. It wasn't a good place to work. Not good pay.
Pros
I didn't like the pay.
Cons
the pay however paid for my university education and kept me out of debt
productive, fun workplace with good emmployees
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 7, 2016
- a typical day at work wasn't really stressful, but i have to meet up with my everyday expectations.
- i learned a lot about sales, how to talk people into getting what you are selling and how to overcome hard and soft NOs.
- the managers are really nice people, i had the opportunity to be trained by one of the managers during my training days.
- My co-workers are really supportive, even when i was nervous at first, i got a lot of encouragement from them.
- the hardest part of the job was getting through the day when ever i get a very hard No and also waking up so early in the morning to get to the office
- the most enjoyable part of the job was just having as much fun as you can while working.
Pros
free rides to work location
Cons
waking up so early in the morning
Canadian Tire Environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire North Lethbridge, ABApril 20, 2016
In the Canadian Tire family there are a lot of good fun people to be around, (co-workers) but then there is the management. The management here is terrible, they are awful people who only care about them selves and want to make everyone else's time here miserable. the typical day at work was not bad, everything goes smoothly when certain managers aren't in at the same time. I learned to be patient with customers and also co-workers. the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the managers (head Cashier and general manager) happy, to me there seems like your always doing something wrong or not enough. the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and co-workers.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
Head Cashier/ General Manager
Stock Filler (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 5, 2016
I was a stock filler, I had early morning shifts filling the missing stock on shelves. It is not an hard job at all, it can be fun if you challenge yourself on a day to day basis on how fast you can get the stock out. The management is good, they care about their employees and want the best for them. All things aside Canadian Tire is a solid place to work, great co workers, hours , and management.
Pros
Fexible hours
Cons
Restroom