Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,916 reviews matching the search
Past Employee
Office Accounting (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire Store 299 Calgary, AB5 October 2016
The office position was great for 3 years with team spirit and management being supportive and envolved. The last year that I was employed there was very different, but this is probably because of management change as well as policy and procedure changes. I learned a lot during my time there mostly from the career employees who cared about the store and were very involved with assisting new employees. Good Luck to all envolved in the new administration and hopefully all goes well for both employees and management.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
The managements pressure to accomplish tasks within an unrealistic time period.
Fun place to work, great team of people, productive and educational
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 September 2016
A busy day at work was always guaranteed, I learned to deal with customers well and give people an easier shopping experience. The management was excellent and my co-workers were helpful, friendly and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was when the store was packed full of customers so it would be difficult to tend to every single person who needed help. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of being able to help a customer and seeing them walk away happy with the intended product and possibly more.
Pros
Flexible break times, free staff lunch or breakfast roughly once a month
Good Temporary Job
Pro-Active Team (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2016
The job is rather straight forward, although I find some management and staff have low demeanor which sucks to be around. Start at minimum with opportunities to advance, including profit sharing. But have to hang around for too long to make any real money. The job security is definitely there, that goes without saying if you are a good employee they will keep you around, Would recommend for high school or college students as a part time job, unless you really enjoy retail.
Pros
Advancement/benefit opportunities
Cons
Low Staff Demeanor
Always a learning experience
Cashier,sales.merchandising (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 July 2016
I dealt with all types of people everyday and learned to adapt to each individual.Everyday was a new adventure.A fast paced environment.The people i worked with were polite,hardworking and always helpful.Management tried to be as helpful and polite as they could be.Tho stressful at times i learned to take a deep breath and relax.The hardest part was dealing with those who refuse to believe anything u say tho that is what u were taught to say and do.Everyday was a challenge and i am proud to say i met those challenges with pride and a job well done.
Pros
Payed breaks
Cons
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day
Good Environment to have a first job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON13 April 2016
CT is a great place to have a first job, I work in a fast pace area that requires multi-tasking. I do returns, cash purchases,stock shelves, and simple household cleaning. I also train all the new cashiers hired at the store. I have learned lots in regards to working with people, I learned how to become very well at multi-tasking, and I learned to work well in a team environment. Management is good, they are very easy to work with and are considerate when needing help with time off, assisting with bad situations with customers etc. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance everything at once. You have returns, regular cash, the phones ringing as well as the cashiers asking you questions which makes it difficult because there is so much going on at one time.
Pros
Meeting lots of new people, creating great friendships.
Cons
Not enough hours. I feel I should be paid a little more for the load of work I do, You get a 10 cent raise if you work over 1200 hours a year, which is not often.
Good luck with the C-wood Store, management is Dishonest and loves to play the Run-A-Round Game!!!!
auto Parts (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON2 August 2016
Only favourites get advancements, management will tell you there are no opening in other areas in store but will put job posting on Job websites. Then threaten you with loss of hours. Oh and don't call in sick or management will give you the run around when you bring in your $20 Doc Note telling you to get another note with more infomation of ailment .
Pros
Fellow employees are great!!!
Cons
Management, Management, management oh and needs a new owner and an overhaul of managers.
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB25 May 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
lots of daily tasks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2016
bad management
rude employees
new and returning customers
no benefits
high staff turnover
low compensation
too much work drama
no advancement
Pros
Usually busy
Cons
bad management, too much drama
Very little regard given to staff commitment or development
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2016
CDN Tire is a franchise operation which results in frequent management/owner changes. Unfortunately it can be difficult adjusting to these changes. It appears that the trend is to hire part time students at minimum wage without benefits.
Pros
Vehicle service discounts
Cons
No salary increases. normal to go 2-3 years or longer without
disorganized
Tire/Lube tech (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 July 2016
a typical day of work was to come in tidy the shop while waiting for a list from management of the daily tasks he/she would like completed for the day. the tasks could be anything from my job title of tire and lube technician. to service/parts writer, to stock boy, to maintence or janitorial duties through the store, to a builder of large stock items to custom pieces of equipment to fit what purpose would be needed in the store. I loved that there was only the journeyman and myself in the shop, it allowed me to go way past the position of being a tire/lube tech, aswell hoping that it would also earn my way to the position of my apprenticeship (after receiving my new journeyman).
The reason for my leave from Canadian tire was due to no benefits after 2 years, no apprenticeship, aswell the management being so disorganised, dysfunctional and creating several arguments with not only the staff but the customers, As I did not want to build my name and reputation in an environment such as that and took on the statistics Canada position full time and have had a blast ever since.
Pros
tonnes of 1 on 1 and hands on exspierence
Cons
no benefits, no apprenticeship after 1.5 years
A good learning environment that should be viewed as such and not a permanent employment
Service Installer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 April 2016
The hours were well varied giving you a good amount of free time. The position offers you a good opportunity to learn about the automotive industry with friendly coworkers. The relationship with management is a little lacking for service installers, but the void is filled by the mechanics who are helpful and friendly. Advancement requires education so unless you get offered an apprenticeship position, your pay and your position will not change. At the end of the day it is what you sign up for, a minimum wage part time job that should be seen as a learning opportunity to progress you on your path to the career you desire.
Pros
Lunch hour (un-paid), good hours, lots to learn.
Cons
No advancement, distant management.
Friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 October 2016
I learned that being friendly and open can impact the people around you a lot compared to never really smiling. Not smiling makes you seem unapproachable, which you tend to not want at a workplace dealing with customers. I find it is very important to get along with coworkers not only because you work together for however long but also because you may end up needing to ask each other for help so it's nice to have someone approachable when needing help. The hardest part of the job for me would usually be standing in one spot for long periods of time without walking around. The most enjoyable part of the job tends to be interacting with customers and being able to help them with their needs.
Pros
socializing with people around you
Cons
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
Always new challenges with co-operative and engaging personnel.
Controller Fuelco/Mgr Corp Acct & Systems (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2016
- typical day was always being able to ask yourself, " how can I make this process/work flow better".
- learned how to holistically look at starting a finance department for a company and integrate it's operations into the larger parent company.
- management was willing to give the freedom needed to risk and fail while providing guidance when needed.
- the people were devoted, caring and yet demanding... a perfect learning environment. Long term employees abound in this company because of its culture.
- keeping up with the lightening fast changes can sometimes be a challenge.
- the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that there were no silos and that it was truly a team environment.
Pros
Involving employees with the many sponsorships and charities it supported
Cons
Managers and AVPs are long term leaving little chance of advancement.
A Good Job For Students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 September 2016
Canadian Tire provides students with the opportunity to learn within a fast paced environment providing both flexible hours and a friendly work environment. The teamwork emphasized within canadian tire helps the workplace be productive and helps the workplace stay friendly. Although the workplace is friendly the organization is lacking. Many times management fails to properly organize tasks and often times this causes much confusion on the floor. Product is often lost and employees are often left with nothing to do while others are given too many tasks. As long as you remain a hard worker within this environment and you remain cooperative, it is an excellent and flexible job for anyone looking for a job during school or to fill in time between another job.
Pros
Flexibliity
Cons
Poor Managment
Good place to start as a young individual
Automotive Service Advisor, Tire Installer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 August 2016
A typical day at work for me is always different because I can do many different jobs at Canadian tire. Currently I have been doing automotive service and parts, or I have been working in the shop doing tire changeovers and oil changes. When I first began at Canadian Tire I knew nothing about vehicles, after being there for close to 5 years I feel much more confident on my knowledge with them. Management at Canadian Tire was average, you have your good managers and bad I think it really all comes down to communication and work ethic because in that position you need to be able to set an example for your co workers and be able to lead them properly through the departments priorities. My most current co workers have been some of the best because we communicate so well and make sure to do our due diligence to complete jobs properly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job would have to be working with irate customers and since I work in the automotive department they are quite frequent but it also teaches you to be calm and patient under pressure and to listen to the customer to find out the best means to a solution. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the knowledge I gained.
Pros
Knowledge gained
Cons
no real room for large advancement
Depends on the Dealer/Owner
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB15 November 2016
Can be a great place to work but depends strongly on the Owner and management. This varies as all stores are independently owned and operated. I have mixed reviews but overall really liked working there
Pros
team enviroment
Cons
Overall Canadian Tire is a great place to work...
DEPARTMENT MANAGER / ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB28 June 2016
Over the years Canadian Tire has evolved with the times, it is a fast paced exciting enviroment... The best part of the job is the interactions with not only the customers but with the staff themselves. I have put in many long hours over the years but always see the fruits of my labors.
Pros
Benefits were good, profit sharing
Cons
Many long hours, not getting stat days.
Excellent work environment, poor management
Cashier/ Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2016
Whilst my schedule fluctuated, a typical day at work went by fairly easily as the working environment was very welcoming and social. Communicating with the customers as I rang them through quickly became second nature as it made the process less time consuming and more enjoyable. In the beginning, management was very down-to-earth and understood their employees on a personal level, but as time passed so did the pleasantries and soon the workplace became a lot less friendly and began to feel uncomfortable as some of the managers acted unprofessional. Co-workers, on the other hand, had always been very accepting and helpful to each other in the workplace and I found that to be a very big advantage as it was my first job.
Pros
Friendly environment, aid was easily accessible
Cons
Poor management, constantly fluctuating schedule