Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 2,109 reviews matching the search
Great teamwork and a solid place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON22 January 2017
Canadian Tire is a good place to work, the people are good. I was looking for something a little more in my field. I mostly enjoy doing the displays and get a lot of good feed back. I helped the sales of furniture to go up, Most people did not know we sold furniture, it is at the back of the store , so I decided to put some out in the front window. A typical days work is to go in and maintain my dept which is paint fill any holes and of course help the customers.
fast paced environment
Automotive Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2017
working at Canadian tire as a automotive sales associate I was able to learn about the basic necessities for a vehicle for example what oil certain cars take, I was able to learn what products are best to use for certain cars either exterior or interior. And as a result of working with costumers all day everyday I was also able to learn how to grow my communication skills and my over all costumer service skills.
Pros
knowledgable
Cons
Fairly simple job with great team members
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2017
Typical day at work is engaging with customers and offering the best customer service to my ability. I have learned how to develop better communication skills with my managers and co workers. The management team there was very welcoming and straight forward, any help or questions that I had they were always there to answer. The hardest part of the job was carrying out heavy items such as treadmills, and difficulty with getting bicycles from the bike shelf. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to fulfill the customers needs and sending them home with a smile.
Pros
The music being played in store
Cons
Heavy lifting
Its okay for students
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 February 2017
Good company. But doesn't pay as much for some of the positions worked. Employees get paid for barely doing work. Management is okay but most managers are rarely putting in the effort. Work seems repetitive and pay is minimum for amount of work put in. Feel the burden of management when something is done wrong. Never feel any relief when work is done properly. No common sense. Constantly feel like I'm doing other jobs in the company on top of my own.
Pros
I get to go home
Cons
Management and salary
Productive place and such a great staff to work with
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  McCowan and Shepard5 February 2017
I always tell my stories about this job to my friends and family. I have learned so much from this job like how to really handle customers politely and efficiently. The customer services at the Canadian tire is always very busy but we all girls were enjoying our work by assisting all kinds of customers.
Pros
Christmas dinners and other occasional lunch invites
Cons
Fixed hours i had and i had so much fun.

Comment – February 6, 2017

Awesome! 5 stars rating that is wonderful and the review is helpful...

Good first job. Lots of experience. Showed me I want more from a job though
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS8 February 2017
A typical day at work is standing behind a counter for 8 hours. You get a few regular customers each day which is nice. I learned that you can't let certain customers get to you. They will get mad at you, most of the time, because they are having a bad day. The department managers are amazing. They are very helpful but the general manager and owners are the complete opposite. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing the familiar faces and the other co-workers.
Pros
Breaks and lunches every two hours
Cons
Long days
well paced. work from home
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
The job included, not only serving customers, but also maintaining stock levels on the sales floor, general cleaning duties. I also enjoyed very much working closely with mechanics.
I did learn an awful lot about car parts and what different accessories were for.
Management was alright for the most part. Dealers were a little different. Once I reached a managers position I worked very hard, once I was told what my salary would be, it was a terrible disappointment.
Busy and proactive environment with staff who work easily as a team
Sports department (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 February 2017
During a workday there would be many customers to help, even outside of our department. I would clean and tidy up my areas in order to maintain an acceptable work place. I learned how to deal with angry customers properly. The management was excellent and friendly towards staff and customers. The staff had no problem working together in order to help customers. The hardest part of th job was dealing with extra customers when short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a customer was helped and they are very appreciative of what you did for them.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
When short staffed it is difficult
a hockey night
Banquet/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
this is probably one of the best jobs I have ever had. Everyone there is so kind and helpful, we all get along fairly well for the most part. I work down in banquet so its extremely different than being upstairs in concessions. I normally just serve desserts to guests and help hostess. The managers there are great, and always around and willing to answer any question you have. The hardest part is cleaning up after because we are all so tired and want to go home. The most enjoyable part of this job is connecting with people and interacting.
Pros
free dinner after, short hours
Cons
not enough staff to clean fast enough
Every Store is different...
Service Adviser/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON17 January 2017
Every store is run different as different people own them. I worked out in Bowmanville and in my opinion the Service Manager should not have been a Manager.

I liked the people I was working with, but the Manager didn't take the old computer program out of the computer and that made it very confusing when writing work orders up for service. When you made an error he made you feel like it was your fault but it was his lack of computer skills that kept two different programs running on the same computer.

The pay is good and competitive with dealerships.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Bad choice of Service Manager
Stressful but you learn retail very well
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 January 2017
The hardest part of the job was working with customers and other employees. Hard work is hardly ever rewarded unless you have been working there for 3+ years. No real room to advance in the company unless there is a open position in management, which is very rare. Overall its not a bad starting point, good for getting some experience but has a way of sucking you in and not letting go.
Pros
Learn all aspects of retail
Cons
Work 364 days of the year, no graveyard stock
Canadian Tire; enjoyable working environment.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Morrisburg, ON13 January 2017
A typical day at work, I usually enjoyed. I get along with others easily and I have good problem-solving skills so the tasks I had to complete and working with the costumes during the day was enjoyable. From the time that I worked there I had the opportunity to work on my communication skills, problem-solving skills, being able to conduct stressful situations successfully and the ability to work with others. During the job I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, they are really understanding and nice people which made the job easier on my part.
Pros
A pleasant environment to work in
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Enjoyed my time being there
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
I enjoyed working at Canadian Tire, everyone was always so helpful and was always there when I needed help the most. I've learned so much working there, it varied from working in the sporting life department, to being a cashier and moving my way to customer service and moving to housewares/hardware to claim the position of a walker. The job of the walker is to always make sure we have the right amount of stock that says we should have in the system and to request to send in more stock.
Great Canadian Company
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 January 2017
I worked at Canadian Tire Warehouse for about 41/2 yrs as a temp and under limited time contract. Most jobs fairly easy to learn. If you can read a label and move boxes you can do it. I often exceeded the required work quota, sometimes by 100%. I did get more 'preferred jobs' for working hard. Thought I was deserving of a full-time job, but I didn't get one. The social/cultural factor that was important to them, I don't have. I work hard, I'm polite and professional, but I'm not real chatty.

Managers are well trained and professional, but there is a definite pecking order in the hierarchy. Overall I think it was a mutually beneficial experience. I learned a lot, and worked a lot. I'm very happy to have helped out at a great Canadian Company.
Productive and fun workplace with great coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 January 2017
My day consist of with greeting guest as they check out in a fun and energetic mood and to encourage them to return back for future purchase that they may find in other retail outlets. while working there I learned the basics of money math and eventually got excellent at it, i also learned that the way you talk and greet people is a way to get customers to return because first impressions are critical.
Canadian Tire Review
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2017
What I do at Canadian Tire, I worked as a seasonal associate my duties is to help customers, restock goods finding their aisle's homes, label the prices, clean up my area, use the phone to contact the co-workers, managers also pick up the phone from customers , co-workers and managers calling. I use the scanner to check the price and information if there any stock avaliable or discountinued. On the end of my shift I do a cart run, double check no one is left in the store, face and put away the stocks in the right home. Overall it was ok. I recommand this job for part time short term only.
fun, high paced work place
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps on down time
Cons
hour long lunches
Great company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2016
Managers are always willing to help and are willing to train. The whole store worked as a team always to make sure our customers were helped. If one employee didn't know an answer to a customer question other employees over the walkies always would help each other which would make all employees learn something new each day. Canadian Tire is a family company for sure and there is never failure there only learning experiences which makes Canadian tire a great company. It's easier to learn in a friendly family-like environment and Canadian Tire has always been like that.
Pros
Great management and employees
Cons
Its great but the money is the poo
Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC27 December 2016
The work to money ratio is the worst thing ever. The long time employees obviously make more but do absolutely nothing. So I feel like that is a downer, being in school and working just 40 hours every week is very tough they don't take no as an answer and most times you will have to work when you're sick. The discounts are awesome but not really worth it. The low amount of money we receive is a downer most goes to rent and food which leaves nothing for other bills. When youre in school be prepared to not have time off for finals.
Pros
Getting off of work
Cons
Money. time off
good job for students
Sales Associate / Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL20 February 2017
a day working at Canadian tire goes by very fast between your everyday tasks and serving customers but the training and guidance I received from the managers in the Marystown Newfoundland location (store number 0468) gave me the skills to master multitasking my work while still providing excellent customer service.

while working at the Marystown location I learned very quick that the hardest part of the job was having to deal with unsatisfied customers coming to you because they were not satisfied with the service from your co-worker. I don't mind this because I find it very enjoyable to help anyone leave the store happy because they received the items they desired and the best customer service oriented only on their needs.