Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

Not my most pleasant
Door to door Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2015
The environment was fine.
Most of my co-workers were nice and decent people.
However, the timing for me was not suitable. 12 noon-11pm
The hardest part was walking door to door trying to find a donor.
Cons
Long hours, Lots of walking, Must pay for your own way
Productive and fun working place
Warehouse In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2015
Check emails in the morning and reply accordingly. Start printing orders in Accpac and check inventory data base and physical to ensure if stock available to ship on orders.
Pick and place orders on shipping area for checking and and then to be entered in to shipping program.

Replenish stock in picking bins.
Inventory control.
Taking care of returns, inbound and out bound receiving and customer calls.
Work on inventory programs, excel, word and outlook etc:
Pros
lots of pot luck lunches and free time
Cons
no pay raise and appriciation
just not a good fit
transportation coodinator (Former Employee) –  barrie14 September 2015
nice place to work--nice ppl. the pay is not on scale for the duties and responsibilities <30k and there is no time to train new employees. I was given a manual to work from. I was working in a 4x4 cubical and on the phone and computer for 3.5 hrs at a time.
just not a good fit for me
Pros
the hours
Cons
sink or swim
Amazing company
Dispatcher / Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 August 2015
I enjoyed working for the Redcross. It was the most amazing career I may ever have. Helping clients was the best part of my job and we had the most amazing staff to work with. If it weren't for the fact my family and I moved to Ottawa I never would have left.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Moving away
fun place to work,social activities
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2015
working with people is one of the enjoyable things I love to do,everyone is different and unique in their own way,management was always there if needed,worked with a lot of great people.It can get really cold in the winter especially in and out.
Pros
always a social event
Cons
part time not full time
Psw
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines20 August 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St Thomas19 August 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..
poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 July 2015
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Pros
Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons
after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2015
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
Pros
Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons
On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
Never in my life time
A moron (Former Employee) –  Niagara on20 June 2015
Would never work for an thing again that say red cross on it at all .. the lack of management that doesn't excesses is scary drive bus an your license. May be taken away because u most be an idiot for driving it because they don't fix busses or have right form in most take it from some one knows not a place to work unless u are a born monkey
Pros
U may work an u may not
Cons
Never need to worry about money cause u won't get it from them
I liked the people I worked with.
Admistrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 June 2015
I enjoyed the work I was doing. I would go back if I had the opportunity to apply for a position.
I was able to train multiple people with computer skills. I enjoyed this the most.
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 April 2015
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Early start times
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 April 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 March 2015
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
low hours
fun and informative
Community Dining / Support Assistant(Homeless) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2015
very nice staff to work with , fast pace environment it can be stressful at times to deal with clients. overall experience very supportive and routine daily schedules.
Great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS2 March 2015
Red Cross was a great company to work for. They are a BIG company with a lot of policies and procedures, but its all for the health and safety of their employees. They pay was not great, but the job was very rewarding. Supervisors and management were fantastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low Pay
Certification
Student (Former Employee) –  Sudbury1 March 2015
Easy to learn hands on training that allows you to learn valuable techniques that can help saves lives. Organized and simple
Loved working here
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 February 2015
great place to work if you enjoy having time for one on one patient care. really loved being able to make a difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
able to take your time with clients
Cons
lots of driving
Volunteering work - High River during the Calgary Flood
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  High River, AB10 February 2015
I really enjoyed this experience because it was voluntarily.
It brings me happiness knowing that I am able to help the community when needed. Definitely a memorable experience!
Management need more education managing
Finance (Current Employee) –  Atlantic Zone5 February 2015
My experience is that management has far too much control over hiring (friends, relatives, etc.) As well as this, on more than one occasion and from personal experience, disabilities are overlooked, especially mental disabilities. Mental health should be just as important as physical health.
Outside of this the volunteers that work for the Canadian Red Cross are second to none, some of them volunteering in life-threatening situations.
Pros
Volunteers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.