Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

homecare
personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 November 2012
very flexiable i have learned alot from my experience as a personal support worker such as time management , how to deal with many types of people with different views on life as well as temperments . bathing and assisting with dressing light house keeping and taking care of the well being of the client as well as being avocate for my clients . dealing with many family wishes , paper work and communation to managers and supervisors
Pros
meeting all kinds of new people and there families
Cons
shift work and shortage of hours at time
Loved the work atmosphere
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON12 April 2013
Typical day at work was going into homes and taking care of clients needs. I have learned how to manage my time and to make sure that all that is required of me to be done properly.This was a job you work alone. Management was very helpful. The hardest part is that i did not have my full licence and work had to schedule me to clients i could easily get to. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that my clients where satisfied and alot of clients would specifically ask for me to be there worker.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Manager, Housing & Basic Needs (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2013
This is a great place to work, lots of excitement and challenges and something new every week. There is the opportunity to move from program to program and try out or develop new skills and experiences. Flexibility is important and recognized. There is a culture of strong team work. --and lots of fun and laughter in the common lunch room where everyone gathers to share how there day is going.
Very Productive and learned alot of new stuff each day
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor Ontario 28 May 2013
A typical day at work would be going to my office and asking my supervisor what she would like me to do and everything would most likely be on the computer
For Example; Setting up courses , signing up people for courses, writing documents , doing MMT'S and sending invoices
I learned how to use the Microsoft offices programs
My Supervisor was very nice and very respectful
My Co-workers were all friendly and polite
we all treated each other with respect.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Volunteer
RedCross
Personal Support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 June 2013
My typical day working for red cross home care was driving from one clients home to the other. Preparing meal,medication reminders, cleaning, applying or taking off compression stockings. We didn't really see any of our co-workers. The there was nothing really hard about the job but the driving times between clients was very un-organized by the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending some one on one with each client and learning more about them and appreciating what we do for them.
Pros
Lots of learning experiences
Cons
Driving
organised and helpful
Coordinator for Meals to Seniors (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB8 January 2014
I learned how much the Red Cross really helped people. Management was very helpful and wanted to be there versus treating it like just another job. Everyone of my co-workers were happy and upbeat and helpful among each other. The hardest part of the job was putting volunteer's file up to date and the most enjoyable part was everytime a volunteer when over and beyond your expectations
Pros
stable hours
Cons
not enough pay
great way to give back to community locally, nationally and globally
DM Instructor/Disaster Manager (Current Employee) –  Coastal region, BC6 November 2013
working with individuals and groups of people who have been effected by disasters and require assistance to move on and develop a normal life style post disaster.

I also teach disaster management for the Red Cross and have taught in various locations in western Canada
Pros
truly humanitarian organization
Cons
occasional long hours, occasional stress
Productive work place, with hard working staff and volenteers
Heath Equipment Loan Program ( HELP) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2014
A average work day is taking in coming phone calls, helping clients who are there to pick up short term loan equipment for family, friends or themselves. Picking the orders for clients and explaining how the equipment works for there safety. When needed I also cleaned equipment to be able to restock inventory. I have learned how to handle myself in a very fast place work place.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment for all clients who need the equipment. The co- worker are hard workers as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients who really need the equipment and are happy we are there to help them.
Pros
Free parking down town
Cons
shortage of staff at times
Volunteer For Canadian Red Cross
Branch Front Desk Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 September 2012
I enjoyed volunteering with Canadian Red Cross. They are friendly to work with. A typical day I did at Canadian Red Cross is answering phone. I delivered message and directing phone calls to the appropriate person and do some filing. The people I worked with are very friendly and nice. The hardest part of the job is trying not to make mistake with the switchboard.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Interesting work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2016
Read and code the evaluations received and then enter data into a customized software.
Volunteer at the Red Cross once a week.
A work environment focused on helping people.
EAA to Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 December 2013
Employee driven position as executive assistant to the director of Human Resources. Learned how to organize a reception for the Queen of the Netherlands upon her visit to the Head Office and also learned how to coordinate a three floor office move within the city of Ottawa.
Pros
Very kind, compassionate and friendly employees.
Cons
No cons.
poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 July 2015
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Pros
Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons
after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2015
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
Pros
Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons
On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
Friendly and Professional Work Environment
Administrative Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 December 2013
Although I was an unpaid volunteer at this establishment, I knew that my contribution was highly valued by my co-workers. Working at the Red Cross is my dream and the work that is done there is the reason why I studied politics at university and for that I find it extremely fulfilling.
Review
PSW (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON10 August 2012
travel time inbetween clients not suitable
I learned to manage my time
employer keeps us informed
co-workers are kept busy do not see often
hardest part of job is getting more time allowed for people who really need it
enjoyable part is to see my clients smile
Pros
experience of all aspects of client care
Cons
not enough hours-travel time to far
good place to work but time consuming!!
CSW/PSW/HCA (Current Employee) –  Muskoka, ON22 January 2013
You do an hour at 1 clients home then you have a different amount of time in between clients that changes every day that you are not payed for but still have to be on-call for! Some times it can take 12 hours out of your day just to do and get payed for 8 hours.
Pros
aiding and socializing with clients
Cons
It is a nice place to work with people
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 December 2014
The Red Cross is a good place. The Red Cross help a lot of people. a lot of older people would not be able to get to there doctor's if it was not for the Red Cross. They have there problems just like every body but it's a good company.
Pros
They only work one shift
Cons
It's hard to make a living on my wages
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St Thomas19 August 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..
Diverse and nice
Customer Service Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2013
I love working with other volunteers who come from different backgrounds. We all want to contribute more to the community.

The position is flexible and challenging, but that is also the beaty of it. We never get tired of doing searches and answering all sorts of questions on the phone.
A great opportunity to support community
Branding Design (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 July 2014
Doing work for the Canadian Red Cross is a great opportunity to serve the community on a variety of different levels in a team environment. During my Thunder Bay Flood deployment I learned about logistics and became the lead for acquisitions and purchasing supporting all the front workers out in the community. My co-workers were amazing and came from diverse backgrounds having come in from all over the country. The hardest part of the job was being away from my own family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving community and making new friends with such quality people. During my time serving The Canadian Red Cross was very supportive to all volunteers and their well being physically as well as emotionally. It was nice to be a part of a group of like minded people wanting to help others in any way they could.
Pros
Food and travel provided
Cons
Missing family at home

95%