Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 22, 2015
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Pros
Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons
after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
A work environment focused on helping people.
EAA to Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 29, 2013
Employee driven position as executive assistant to the director of Human Resources. Learned how to organize a reception for the Queen of the Netherlands upon her visit to the Head Office and also learned how to coordinate a three floor office move within the city of Ottawa.
Pros
very kind, compassionate and friendly employees.
Cons
no cons.
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 26, 2015
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
low hours
one day I was ask to work over night and it was Christmas day no body like to work it that time
Cared for the elderly (Current Employee) –  111 johnson ave thunder bay ONJune 17, 2014
, enjoy challenges and the opportunity to develop new skills
Able to monitor and maintain a healthy and safe

Able to perform physically demanding labour.
Pros
i have never get free lunch at work
Cons
i will like to work long hours
Friendly and Professional Work Environment
Administrative Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 27, 2013
Although I was an unpaid volunteer at this establishment, I knew that my contribution was highly valued by my co-workers. Working at the Red Cross is my dream and the work that is done there is the reason why I studied politics at university and for that I find it extremely fulfilling.
good place to work but time consuming!!
CSW/PSW/HCA (Current Employee) –  Muskoka, ONJanuary 22, 2013
You do an hour at 1 clients home then you have a different amount of time in between clients that changes every day that you are not payed for but still have to be on-call for! Some times it can take 12 hours out of your day just to do and get payed for 8 hours.
Pros
aiding and socializing with clients
Cons
A great opportunity to support community
Branding Design (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 7, 2014
Doing work for the Canadian Red Cross is a great opportunity to serve the community on a variety of different levels in a team environment. During my Thunder Bay Flood deployment I learned about logistics and became the lead for acquisitions and purchasing supporting all the front workers out in the community. My co-workers were amazing and came from diverse backgrounds having come in from all over the country. The hardest part of the job was being away from my own family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving community and making new friends with such quality people. During my time serving The Canadian Red Cross was very supportive to all volunteers and their well being physically as well as emotionally. It was nice to be a part of a group of like minded people wanting to help others in any way they could.
Pros
food and travel provided
Cons
missing family at home
Canadaian Red Cross
Personal Assistant for Lawyer (friend) - part-time (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 28, 2013
I am an a Assistant at Fundraising team. I am called when they do need me and my assistance. I learnt a lot of new things related to the fundraising activities in Montreal. I am happy with my team and would like to say that management works very well too.
Pros
meeting up
Cons
not often
Productive work place, with hard working staff and volenteers
Heath Equipment Loan Program ( HELP) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2014
A average work day is taking in coming phone calls, helping clients who are there to pick up short term loan equipment for family, friends or themselves. Picking the orders for clients and explaining how the equipment works for there safety. When needed I also cleaned equipment to be able to restock inventory. I have learned how to handle myself in a very fast place work place.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment for all clients who need the equipment. The co- worker are hard workers as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients who really need the equipment and are happy we are there to help them.
Pros
free parking down town
Cons
shortage of staff at times
Every day is learning day
Network and Hardware Support (Former Employee) –  May, ONMay 8, 2014
• Diagnosis and resolution of complex IT problems including migration from Windows XP to Windows 7
• Level 1 & Level 2 phone, email and onsite support to employees
• Assisted employees in troubleshooting problems relating to Operating system issues (Win 7 2003/XP),Network connectivity, TCP/IP configuration and upgrade, Network printers and copier installation and troubleshooting
• Configured users rights and permissions, disabled and enabled accounts, file and folder permissions and configured logon profiles through Active Directory
• MS Exchange 2010/2012 configured and troubleshooting all mailbox style
• Used Service Now and IBM TSD ticketing system.
The toughest job you will ever love
Recovery Case Worker - Recovery Team (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJuly 9, 2014
The CRC was deployed to deal with the largest disaster in the history of Canada when June 2013 flooding left 100,000 people vulnerable. The work is client based and client driven. It involves not only direct aid but also advocacy to many Government and Non-Governmental agencies. Case loads require intense focus as client needs and issues are ever evolving. Skills such as psychological first aid and de- escalation are important to provide a safe environment for both clients and staff. The extreme challenges of the post disaster era have afforded ample opportunity to hone problem solving and communication skills.
Wonderful coworkers,clientele and excellent in-office staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ontarioApril 17, 2013
A typical day at work was caring for the senior population, although they can be challenging they are a source of conversations of life.
I learned much of how home care has changed over the years and the importance of independance for as long as possible. Although I worked most of the time with great staff, there were ocassions when the direct in the field contact staff were not as supportive or understanding of the particulars surrounding the PSW field of work.
The hardest part of the job was the split shift and the inconsistant balance of work and home life due to shedualing problems. Althought the driving all over the country side from house to house was not the best aspect, there was a sense of self reliance and responsibilty with the enjoyment of the face to face one on one interaction with the persons I was caring for.
Pros
conversation and knowledge gained
Cons
driving distances, unclean homes, prolonged problem solving
Management very disorganized
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 28, 2014
Very high turn over rate of supervisors and personnel. Very low moral, and extremely hard to make any contact with management and other staff. There was never a healthy balance of work and home life.
enjoyed the social part of job, met many people
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, OntarioNovember 27, 2013
Was a relaxed and fun job. Met many people through the job.
There was no room for advancement so felt the need to lok for other work.

Government closed down the program.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
but not enough hours
RedCross
Personal Support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 11, 2013
My typical day working for red cross home care was driving from one clients home to the other. Preparing meal,medication reminders, cleaning, applying or taking off compression stockings. We didn't really see any of our co-workers. The there was nothing really hard about the job but the driving times between clients was very un-organized by the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending some one on one with each client and learning more about them and appreciating what we do for them.
Pros
lots of learning experiences
Cons
driving
its ok
CSW (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONMarch 31, 2012
getting up early
I have been learning different cultures
one manager is great
great
driving from home to home
clients
Pros
clients
Cons
going to home to home
Very Productive and learned alot of new stuff each day
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor OntarioMay 28, 2013
A typical day at work would be going to my office and asking my supervisor what she would like me to do and everything would most likely be on the computer
For Example; Setting up courses , signing up people for courses, writing documents , doing MMT'S and sending invoices
I learned how to use the Microsoft offices programs
My Supervisor was very nice and very respectful
My Co-workers were all friendly and polite
we all treated each other with respect.
Pros
good hours
Cons
volunteer
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 19, 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.
Summary
Internship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 1, 2015
I work for Canadian Red Cross for 1.5 month. It is a great experiences as a Internship. I do learn a lot from them and gaining experiences. I love the team work they have. They have shared a lots of experiences with me.
Pros
nice enviroment
Cons
to far
It is a nice place to work with people
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 19, 2014
The Red Cross is a good place. The Red Cross help a lot of people. a lot of older people would not be able to get to there doctor's if it was not for the Red Cross. They have there problems just like every body but it's a good company.
Pros
they only work one shift
Cons
it's hard to make a living on my wages

Canadian Red Cross Reviews by Location