Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

Red Cross
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2016
I am usually the first point of contact for the community workers as well as the our patients and caregivers. My job is to confirm appointments or make changes within limits with the patients for the health care providers. The most difficult part of my job at times is to clarify information from patients that is diagnosed with Alzheimer or dementia but to rectify that situation I would often communicate with next of kin or caregiver of the patient. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that my team and I have provided some comfort for the patient and some sense of normalcy for a family member. I learned that every patient needs are different and they vary from day to day. I come to expect the unexpected at my job as an administrator as my daily task not only consist of dealing with patients but replenishing office supplies so that our staff and community workers always have supplies to do their job efficiently.
A very negative environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2016
This organization has an unbelievably high staff turnover rate.

Management does not have the vision to lead nor do they have the respect of many employees. Many people will look to the terrific work that the Red Cross does internationally during disasters and other events, however domestically this organization and its leadership use both staff and volunteers and then simply discard them.

The backbone of the Red Cross are volunteers who do their very best, working long hours and giving freely of their time when needed.
Pros
Great volunteers
Cons
Complete lack of organizational vision, very disrespectful of staff
Interesting work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2016
Read and code the evaluations received and then enter data into a customized software.
Volunteer at the Red Cross once a week.
Same as most Home Health Care Companies
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB4 January 2016
a typical day at work is providing personal and home support to clients in their homes, there are some stressful situations in some homes.
co-workers are wonderful.
the hardest part of the job is seeing the clients' health deteriorate
the most enjoyable part of the job is providing as much help and care that I can.
Pros
wonderful clients
Cons
sometimes having to travel a fair distance for only a few hours work
Enjoy at work with Discipline.
Front Desk Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 December 2015
Satisfied to work in clean and hygiene atmosphere.
Fast and quick services.
Quick service and satisfied them.
Cleaning the kitchen.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours on Weekend
Receptionist
Front Line Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON11 December 2015
This was by far my favourite job, the staff is amazing, the training is amazing, the opportunities are amazing. I answered phones, did paperwork, and assisted other departments.
Not my most pleasant
Door to door Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2015
The environment was fine.
Most of my co-workers were nice and decent people.
However, the timing for me was not suitable. 12 noon-11pm
The hardest part was walking door to door trying to find a donor.
Cons
Long hours, Lots of walking, Must pay for your own way
Productive and fun working place
Warehouse In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 October 2015
Check emails in the morning and reply accordingly. Start printing orders in Accpac and check inventory data base and physical to ensure if stock available to ship on orders.
Pick and place orders on shipping area for checking and and then to be entered in to shipping program.

Replenish stock in picking bins.
Inventory control.
Taking care of returns, inbound and out bound receiving and customer calls.
Work on inventory programs, excel, word and outlook etc:
Pros
lots of pot luck lunches and free time
Cons
no pay raise and appriciation
just not a good fit
transportation coodinator (Former Employee) –  barrie14 September 2015
nice place to work--nice ppl. the pay is not on scale for the duties and responsibilities <30k and there is no time to train new employees. I was given a manual to work from. I was working in a 4x4 cubical and on the phone and computer for 3.5 hrs at a time.
just not a good fit for me
Pros
the hours
Cons
sink or swim
Amazing company
Dispatcher / Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 August 2015
I enjoyed working for the Redcross. It was the most amazing career I may ever have. Helping clients was the best part of my job and we had the most amazing staff to work with. If it weren't for the fact my family and I moved to Ottawa I never would have left.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Moving away

Want to know more about Canadian Red Cross?

Ask a question
fun place to work,social activities
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2015
working with people is one of the enjoyable things I love to do,everyone is different and unique in their own way,management was always there if needed,worked with a lot of great people.It can get really cold in the winter especially in and out.
Pros
always a social event
Cons
part time not full time
Psw
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines20 August 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St Thomas19 August 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..
poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 July 2015
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Pros
Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons
after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2015
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
Pros
Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons
On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
Never in my life time
A moron (Former Employee) –  Niagara on20 June 2015
Would never work for an thing again that say red cross on it at all .. the lack of management that doesn't excesses is scary drive bus an your license. May be taken away because u most be an idiot for driving it because they don't fix busses or have right form in most take it from some one knows not a place to work unless u are a born monkey
Pros
U may work an u may not
Cons
Never need to worry about money cause u won't get it from them
I liked the people I worked with.
Admistrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 June 2015
I enjoyed the work I was doing. I would go back if I had the opportunity to apply for a position.
I was able to train multiple people with computer skills. I enjoyed this the most.
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 April 2015
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Early start times
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON19 April 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 March 2015
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.