Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

A brand new adventure every week. Fun, exciting, challening, humbling.
Violence and Abuse Prevention Facilitator (Current Employee) –  ON16 April 2014
Working for the Canadian Red Cross in their RespectED Department is a very fast paced, fun, energetic program. Their initiatives around Violence and Abuse Prevention becomes very humbling work. However, it is casual work and I'm looking for full-time work and job security.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the travel and working with different indiviuals who work with children and youth.
Pros
Networking, travel, meeting and working with new people.
Cons
Need to have more full-time hours.
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 April 2015
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Early start times
Management need more education managing
Finance (Current Employee) –  Atlantic Zone5 February 2015
My experience is that management has far too much control over hiring (friends, relatives, etc.) As well as this, on more than one occasion and from personal experience, disabilities are overlooked, especially mental disabilities. Mental health should be just as important as physical health.
Outside of this the volunteers that work for the Canadian Red Cross are second to none, some of them volunteering in life-threatening situations.
Pros
Volunteers
homecare
personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 November 2012
very flexiable i have learned alot from my experience as a personal support worker such as time management , how to deal with many types of people with different views on life as well as temperments . bathing and assisting with dressing light house keeping and taking care of the well being of the client as well as being avocate for my clients . dealing with many family wishes , paper work and communation to managers and supervisors
Pros
meeting all kinds of new people and there families
Cons
shift work and shortage of hours at time
just not a good fit
transportation coodinator (Former Employee) –  barrie14 September 2015
nice place to work--nice ppl. the pay is not on scale for the duties and responsibilities <30k and there is no time to train new employees. I was given a manual to work from. I was working in a 4x4 cubical and on the phone and computer for 3.5 hrs at a time.
just not a good fit for me
Pros
the hours
Cons
sink or swim
Loved the work atmosphere
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON12 April 2013
Typical day at work was going into homes and taking care of clients needs. I have learned how to manage my time and to make sure that all that is required of me to be done properly.This was a job you work alone. Management was very helpful. The hardest part is that i did not have my full licence and work had to schedule me to clients i could easily get to. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that my clients where satisfied and alot of clients would specifically ask for me to be there worker.
Pros
na
Cons
na
one day I was ask to work over night and it was Christmas day no body like to work it that time
Cared for the elderly (Current Employee) –  111 johnson ave thunder bay ON17 June 2014
, enjoy challenges and the opportunity to develop new skills
Able to monitor and maintain a healthy and safe

Able to perform physically demanding labour.
Pros
i have never get free lunch at work
Cons
i will like to work long hours
Manager, Housing & Basic Needs (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2013
This is a great place to work, lots of excitement and challenges and something new every week. There is the opportunity to move from program to program and try out or develop new skills and experiences. Flexibility is important and recognized. There is a culture of strong team work. --and lots of fun and laughter in the common lunch room where everyone gathers to share how there day is going.
A great opportunity to support community
Branding Design (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 July 2014
Doing work for the Canadian Red Cross is a great opportunity to serve the community on a variety of different levels in a team environment. During my Thunder Bay Flood deployment I learned about logistics and became the lead for acquisitions and purchasing supporting all the front workers out in the community. My co-workers were amazing and came from diverse backgrounds having come in from all over the country. The hardest part of the job was being away from my own family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving community and making new friends with such quality people. During my time serving The Canadian Red Cross was very supportive to all volunteers and their well being physically as well as emotionally. It was nice to be a part of a group of like minded people wanting to help others in any way they could.
Pros
Food and travel provided
Cons
Missing family at home
Productive work place, with hard working staff and volenteers
Heath Equipment Loan Program ( HELP) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2014
A average work day is taking in coming phone calls, helping clients who are there to pick up short term loan equipment for family, friends or themselves. Picking the orders for clients and explaining how the equipment works for there safety. When needed I also cleaned equipment to be able to restock inventory. I have learned how to handle myself in a very fast place work place.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment for all clients who need the equipment. The co- worker are hard workers as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients who really need the equipment and are happy we are there to help them.
Pros
Free parking down town
Cons
shortage of staff at times
good place to work but time consuming!!
CSW/PSW/HCA (Current Employee) –  Muskoka, ON22 January 2013
You do an hour at 1 clients home then you have a different amount of time in between clients that changes every day that you are not payed for but still have to be on-call for! Some times it can take 12 hours out of your day just to do and get payed for 8 hours.
Pros
aiding and socializing with clients
Cons
I learned a lot of skills and knowledge with Canadian red Cross that made me who I am
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 September 2012
My first day of work with Canadian Red Cross"shadowing day'
My supervisor gave me my colleague home phone number assigned to shadow me. I had never met nor seen her before and I had to call her at home personaly to ask about the time and where we should meet. we met to the first client's home,and at the beginning it was the only address I knew among six we had to visit that day.
My work wasn't just to show my knowledge but I got tested on driving skills because I had to race after my colleague worried to loose her track and got lost for good without destination addresses. I was glad at the end I made it happen. That has increased my confidence and self-esteem than ever before.

I learned everything that made me being a great personal support worker.

The Red Cross management has high standards in solving conflict arising between clients and staff.

I can not tell much about my co-workers as we just meet once in a while for some meetings and trainings.

The hardest part of the job is changes of the schedule at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my clients recovering.
Pros
free equipement.
Cons
working late evenings.
Every day is learning day
Network and Hardware Support (Former Employee) –  May, ON8 May 2014
• Diagnosis and resolution of complex IT problems including migration from Windows XP to Windows 7
• Level 1 & Level 2 phone, email and onsite support to employees
• Assisted employees in troubleshooting problems relating to Operating system issues (Win 7 2003/XP),Network connectivity, TCP/IP configuration and upgrade, Network printers and copier installation and troubleshooting
• Configured users rights and permissions, disabled and enabled accounts, file and folder permissions and configured logon profiles through Active Directory
• MS Exchange 2010/2012 configured and troubleshooting all mailbox style
• Used Service Now and IBM TSD ticketing system.
organised and helpful
Coordinator for Meals to Seniors (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB8 January 2014
I learned how much the Red Cross really helped people. Management was very helpful and wanted to be there versus treating it like just another job. Everyone of my co-workers were happy and upbeat and helpful among each other. The hardest part of the job was putting volunteer's file up to date and the most enjoyable part was everytime a volunteer when over and beyond your expectations
Pros
stable hours
Cons
not enough pay
The toughest job you will ever love
Recovery Case Worker - Recovery Team (Current Employee) –  High River, AB9 July 2014
The CRC was deployed to deal with the largest disaster in the history of Canada when June 2013 flooding left 100,000 people vulnerable. The work is client based and client driven. It involves not only direct aid but also advocacy to many Government and Non-Governmental agencies. Case loads require intense focus as client needs and issues are ever evolving. Skills such as psychological first aid and de- escalation are important to provide a safe environment for both clients and staff. The extreme challenges of the post disaster era have afforded ample opportunity to hone problem solving and communication skills.
Wonderful coworkers,clientele and excellent in-office staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ontario17 April 2013
A typical day at work was caring for the senior population, although they can be challenging they are a source of conversations of life.
I learned much of how home care has changed over the years and the importance of independance for as long as possible. Although I worked most of the time with great staff, there were ocassions when the direct in the field contact staff were not as supportive or understanding of the particulars surrounding the PSW field of work.
The hardest part of the job was the split shift and the inconsistant balance of work and home life due to shedualing problems. Althought the driving all over the country side from house to house was not the best aspect, there was a sense of self reliance and responsibilty with the enjoyment of the face to face one on one interaction with the persons I was caring for.
Pros
conversation and knowledge gained
Cons
driving distances, unclean homes, prolonged problem solving
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 March 2015
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
low hours
Productive and team oriented workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2014
Excellent co-workers, great job culture. Very well organized training.
Supportive management that encourages you to grow and learn. Continuous learning and encouragement and appreciation on a job well done. Excellent morale.
A work environment focused on helping people.
EAA to Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 December 2013
Employee driven position as executive assistant to the director of Human Resources. Learned how to organize a reception for the Queen of the Netherlands upon her visit to the Head Office and also learned how to coordinate a three floor office move within the city of Ottawa.
Pros
Very kind, compassionate and friendly employees.
Cons
No cons.
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St Thomas19 August 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..

Canadian Red Cross Reviews by Location