Canadian Red Cross

Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

Unique workplace with a really good team
Standard First Aid & First Responder Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC12 January 2013
It is a very casual job where I set my own hours and my own class schedules. Amazing environment with inspiring students. In addition to teaching I have participated as a first responder at many events. The other instructors are amazing and are always willing to help out with large courses and teaching sessions. I love to teach and work with people and just the constant flow of new people is exciting. The hardest part would be adjusting teaching styles for individuals but I have always manage to figure out a way to make the student process or understand. I have learned different teaching approaches, patience, time management, and am constantly updating and maintaining my basic first aid skill as well as have the opportunity to work with those more advanced and skilled who are always teaching me new skills.
Pros
side job that i can do around my own schedule
Cons
no benefits, not always a consistant in flow of work
Enjoy at work with Discipline.
Front Desk Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 December 2015
Satisfied to work in clean and hygiene atmosphere.
Fast and quick services.
Quick service and satisfied them.
Cleaning the kitchen.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours on Weekend
Not my most pleasant
Door to door Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2015
The environment was fine.
Most of my co-workers were nice and decent people.
However, the timing for me was not suitable. 12 noon-11pm
The hardest part was walking door to door trying to find a donor.
Cons
Long hours, Lots of walking, Must pay for your own way
PSW
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines20 August 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Same as most Home Health Care Companies
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB4 January 2016
a typical day at work is providing personal and home support to clients in their homes, there are some stressful situations in some homes.
co-workers are wonderful.
the hardest part of the job is seeing the clients' health deteriorate
the most enjoyable part of the job is providing as much help and care that I can.
Pros
wonderful clients
Cons
sometimes having to travel a fair distance for only a few hours work
Generally good employer
Community Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 May 2013
Overall a good employer, however workload in comparison to salary is not equitable. Good management, excellent values.
Pros
Great people who care
Cons
Long hours, high workload
great way to give back to community locally, nationally and globally
DM Instructor/Disaster Manager (Current Employee) –  Coastal region, BC6 November 2013
working with individuals and groups of people who have been effected by disasters and require assistance to move on and develop a normal life style post disaster.

I also teach disaster management for the Red Cross and have taught in various locations in western Canada
Pros
truly humanitarian organization
Cons
occasional long hours, occasional stress
Great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS2 March 2015
Red Cross was a great company to work for. They are a BIG company with a lot of policies and procedures, but its all for the health and safety of their employees. They pay was not great, but the job was very rewarding. Supervisors and management were fantastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low Pay
Amazing company
Dispatcher / Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 August 2015
I enjoyed working for the Redcross. It was the most amazing career I may ever have. Helping clients was the best part of my job and we had the most amazing staff to work with. If it weren't for the fact my family and I moved to Ottawa I never would have left.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Moving away
fun place to work,social activities
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2015
working with people is one of the enjoyable things I love to do,everyone is different and unique in their own way,management was always there if needed,worked with a lot of great people.It can get really cold in the winter especially in and out.
Pros
always a social event
Cons
part time not full time
A fun workplace
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward Island, different locations12 December 2014
I typical day of working with the Red Cross would be loading and unloading canoes and rowboats, travelling to our location, and working with kids and parents. I got to teach children about water safety and keep them entertained in a safe environment. I got to practice my first aid and my communication and teamwork skills with parents and my co-workers.
I learned how to adapt quickly and act on an impulse when needed so everything worked out. I learned how to work well with my team of 8 that I had to live with every day. We had a manager, but we all had to play our part and take responsibility for ourselves and be independent. I learned how to remain calm and patient in hard situations and how to talk with adults in different situations.
I loved my job and I work hard when I am given a job, I always do my the best I can and make the best of every situation.
Pros
Outdoors all day, got to work with kids, I am very skilled at my job
Cons
Weather can be rough at times
Interesting work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2016
Read and code the evaluations received and then enter data into a customized software.
Volunteer at the Red Cross once a week.
Never in my life time
A moron (Former Employee) –  Niagara on20 June 2015
Would never work for an thing again that say red cross on it at all .. the lack of management that doesn't excesses is scary drive bus an your license. May be taken away because u most be an idiot for driving it because they don't fix busses or have right form in most take it from some one knows not a place to work unless u are a born monkey
Pros
U may work an u may not
Cons
Never need to worry about money cause u won't get it from them
Productive and team oriented workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 July 2014
Excellent co-workers, great job culture. Very well organized training.
Supportive management that encourages you to grow and learn. Continuous learning and encouragement and appreciation on a job well done. Excellent morale.
great work experience, welcoming staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 March 2014
Working at the Canadian Red Cross I gained a great work experience that can benefit me in my future careers. I worked with customers both in person and on the phone selling merchandise and advertising for upcoming events, I assisted in the setting of the branch along with where the events are taking place, and did computer work (research, signing people up for classes, creating invoices). I also kept track of inventory weekly. At the red Cross I became certified for CPR and First Aid Level C. Everyone at the workplace were very inviting and we all worked together as a team to present our best work.
Pros
Up beat evironment
Busy Office Environment
Client Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, Ontario27 August 2013
Working at Red Cross Care Partners is an exciting busy environment. Flexible with schedule and great support. Scheduling 10,000 hours weekly. Great training program.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, afterhours, weekends
Manager, Housing & Basic Needs (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2013
This is a great place to work, lots of excitement and challenges and something new every week. There is the opportunity to move from program to program and try out or develop new skills and experiences. Flexibility is important and recognized. There is a culture of strong team work. --and lots of fun and laughter in the common lunch room where everyone gathers to share how there day is going.
Receptionist
Front Line Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON11 December 2015
This was by far my favourite job, the staff is amazing, the training is amazing, the opportunities are amazing. I answered phones, did paperwork, and assisted other departments.
Management need more education managing
Finance (Current Employee) –  Atlantic Zone5 February 2015
My experience is that management has far too much control over hiring (friends, relatives, etc.) As well as this, on more than one occasion and from personal experience, disabilities are overlooked, especially mental disabilities. Mental health should be just as important as physical health.
Outside of this the volunteers that work for the Canadian Red Cross are second to none, some of them volunteering in life-threatening situations.
Pros
Volunteers
Cons
A brand new adventure every week. Fun, exciting, challening, humbling.
Violence and Abuse Prevention Facilitator (Current Employee) –  ON16 April 2014
Working for the Canadian Red Cross in their RespectED Department is a very fast paced, fun, energetic program. Their initiatives around Violence and Abuse Prevention becomes very humbling work. However, it is casual work and I'm looking for full-time work and job security.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the travel and working with different indiviuals who work with children and youth.
Pros
Networking, travel, meeting and working with new people.
Cons
Need to have more full-time hours.

Canadian Red Cross Reviews by Location