Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews in Canada

PSW
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesAugust 20, 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Management need more education managing
Finance (Current Employee) –  Atlantic ZoneFebruary 5, 2015
My experience is that management has far too much control over hiring (friends, relatives, etc.) As well as this, on more than one occasion and from personal experience, disabilities are overlooked, especially mental disabilities. Mental health should be just as important as physical health.
Outside of this the volunteers that work for the Canadian Red Cross are second to none, some of them volunteering in life-threatening situations.
Pros
volunteers
Cons
management
Great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSMarch 2, 2015
Red Cross was a great company to work for. They are a BIG company with a lot of policies and procedures, but its all for the health and safety of their employees. They pay was not great, but the job was very rewarding. Supervisors and management were fantastic.
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay
It is a nice place to work with people
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 19, 2014
The Red Cross is a good place. The Red Cross help a lot of people. a lot of older people would not be able to get to there doctor's if it was not for the Red Cross. They have there problems just like every body but it's a good company.
Pros
they only work one shift
Cons
it's hard to make a living on my wages
The toughest job you will ever love
Recovery Case Worker - Recovery Team (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJuly 9, 2014
The CRC was deployed to deal with the largest disaster in the history of Canada when June 2013 flooding left 100,000 people vulnerable. The work is client based and client driven. It involves not only direct aid but also advocacy to many Government and Non-Governmental agencies. Case loads require intense focus as client needs and issues are ever evolving. Skills such as psychological first aid and de- escalation are important to provide a safe environment for both clients and staff. The extreme challenges of the post disaster era have afforded ample opportunity to hone problem solving and communication skills.
Positive atmosphere and data entries
First Aid Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 27, 2014
I would arrive at around 8:30 am, sign in than head to my desk working on data entries. Other times I would organize the manikins and get classroom folders ready. The day would usually end around 12 in the afternoon.
Pros
free first aid and cpr certificate
Every day is learning day
Network and Hardware Support (Former Employee) –  May, ONMay 8, 2014
• Diagnosis and resolution of complex IT problems including migration from Windows XP to Windows 7
• Level 1 & Level 2 phone, email and onsite support to employees
• Assisted employees in troubleshooting problems relating to Operating system issues (Win 7 2003/XP),Network connectivity, TCP/IP configuration and upgrade, Network printers and copier installation and troubleshooting
• Configured users rights and permissions, disabled and enabled accounts, file and folder permissions and configured logon profiles through Active Directory
• MS Exchange 2010/2012 configured and troubleshooting all mailbox style
• Used Service Now and IBM TSD ticketing system.
A brand new adventure every week. Fun, exciting, challening, humbling.
Violence and Abuse Prevention Facilitator (Current Employee) –  ONApril 16, 2014
Working for the Canadian Red Cross in their RespectED Department is a very fast paced, fun, energetic program. Their initiatives around Violence and Abuse Prevention becomes very humbling work. However, it is casual work and I'm looking for full-time work and job security.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the travel and working with different indiviuals who work with children and youth.
Pros
networking, travel, meeting and working with new people.
Cons
need to have more full-time hours.
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 19, 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.
A fun workplace
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward Island, different locationsDecember 12, 2014
I typical day of working with the Red Cross would be loading and unloading canoes and rowboats, travelling to our location, and working with kids and parents. I got to teach children about water safety and keep them entertained in a safe environment. I got to practice my first aid and my communication and teamwork skills with parents and my co-workers.
I learned how to adapt quickly and act on an impulse when needed so everything worked out. I learned how to work well with my team of 8 that I had to live with every day. We had a manager, but we all had to play our part and take responsibility for ourselves and be independent. I learned how to remain calm and patient in hard situations and how to talk with adults in different situations.
I loved my job and I work hard when I am given a job, I always do my the best I can and make the best of every situation.
Pros
outdoors all day, got to work with kids, i am very skilled at my job
Cons
weather can be rough at times
great work experience, welcoming staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 27, 2014
Working at the Canadian Red Cross I gained a great work experience that can benefit me in my future careers. I worked with customers both in person and on the phone selling merchandise and advertising for upcoming events, I assisted in the setting of the branch along with where the events are taking place, and did computer work (research, signing people up for classes, creating invoices). I also kept track of inventory weekly. At the red Cross I became certified for CPR and First Aid Level C. Everyone at the workplace were very inviting and we all worked together as a team to present our best work.
Pros
up beat evironment
Loved working here
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 24, 2015
great place to work if you enjoy having time for one on one patient care. really loved being able to make a difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
able to take your time with clients
Cons
lots of driving
organised and helpful
Coordinator for Meals to Seniors (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJanuary 8, 2014
I learned how much the Red Cross really helped people. Management was very helpful and wanted to be there versus treating it like just another job. Everyone of my co-workers were happy and upbeat and helpful among each other. The hardest part of the job was putting volunteer's file up to date and the most enjoyable part was everytime a volunteer when over and beyond your expectations
Pros
stable hours
Cons
not enough pay
Productive work place, with hard working staff and volenteers
Heath Equipment Loan Program ( HELP) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2014
A average work day is taking in coming phone calls, helping clients who are there to pick up short term loan equipment for family, friends or themselves. Picking the orders for clients and explaining how the equipment works for there safety. When needed I also cleaned equipment to be able to restock inventory. I have learned how to handle myself in a very fast place work place.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment for all clients who need the equipment. The co- worker are hard workers as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients who really need the equipment and are happy we are there to help them.
Pros
free parking down town
Cons
shortage of staff at times
Volunteering work - High River during the Calgary Flood
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  High River, ABFebruary 10, 2015
I really enjoyed this experience because it was voluntarily.
It brings me happiness knowing that I am able to help the community when needed. Definitely a memorable experience!
Manager, Housing & Basic Needs (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2013
This is a great place to work, lots of excitement and challenges and something new every week. There is the opportunity to move from program to program and try out or develop new skills and experiences. Flexibility is important and recognized. There is a culture of strong team work. --and lots of fun and laughter in the common lunch room where everyone gathers to share how there day is going.
Very Productive and learned alot of new stuff each day
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor OntarioMay 28, 2013
A typical day at work would be going to my office and asking my supervisor what she would like me to do and everything would most likely be on the computer
For Example; Setting up courses , signing up people for courses, writing documents , doing MMT'S and sending invoices
I learned how to use the Microsoft offices programs
My Supervisor was very nice and very respectful
My Co-workers were all friendly and polite
we all treated each other with respect.
Pros
good hours
Cons
volunteer
RedCross
Personal Support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 11, 2013
My typical day working for red cross home care was driving from one clients home to the other. Preparing meal,medication reminders, cleaning, applying or taking off compression stockings. We didn't really see any of our co-workers. The there was nothing really hard about the job but the driving times between clients was very un-organized by the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending some one on one with each client and learning more about them and appreciating what we do for them.
Pros
lots of learning experiences
Cons
driving
Summary
Internship (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 1, 2015
I work for Canadian Red Cross for 1.5 month. It is a great experiences as a Internship. I do learn a lot from them and gaining experiences. I love the team work they have. They have shared a lots of experiences with me.
Pros
nice enviroment
Cons
to far
homecare
personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 7, 2012
very flexiable i have learned alot from my experience as a personal support worker such as time management , how to deal with many types of people with different views on life as well as temperments . bathing and assisting with dressing light house keeping and taking care of the well being of the client as well as being avocate for my clients . dealing with many family wishes , paper work and communation to managers and supervisors
Pros
meeting all kinds of new people and there families
Cons
shift work and shortage of hours at time