Canadian Red Cross

Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Client Service Coordination
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Cornwall, OntarioSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: the client is always put first, staff is very helpful, positive work environment
Cons: as a casual there was not enough hours available to work
As a Cliant Service Coordinator with Canadian Red Cross I was required to create work schedules for Community Support Workers in order to provide optimum care for the clientele within their geographical area. It was my responsability to ensure that each client received personal care by having a CSW assigned to them either on a regular or temporary basis. It was also my duty to receive service offers from CCAC and input new client information into our data base so they can receive personal care within a timely manner. My duties where as follows:

- Rebooking
- Client Cancelations
- Sick Calls from PSW's
- Receive Service Offers
- Scheduling
- Update Client Information

Working with Red Cross I learned organizational and communicative skills. I learned what resources are available within our community and how to obtain information that could help the agency and the clients. The Red Cross provided a friendly and positive atmospsere which made it easy to learn the job and feel comfortable with performing duties that is required in Client Service Coordination.
I learned a lot of skills and knowledge with Canadian red Cross that made me who I am
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: free equipement.
Cons: working late evenings.
My first day of work with Canadian Red Cross"shadowing day'
My supervisor gave me my colleague home phone number assigned to shadow me. I had never met nor seen her before and I had to call her at home personaly to ask about the time and where we should meet. we met to the first client's home,and at the beginning it was the only address I knew among six we had to visit that day.
My work wasn't just to show my knowledge but I got tested on driving skills because I had to race after my colleague worried to loose her track and got lost for good without destination addresses. I was glad at the end I made it happen. That has increased my confidence and self-esteem than ever before.

I learned everything that made me being a great personal support worker.

The Red Cross management has high standards in solving conflict arising between clients and staff.

I can not tell much about my co-workers as we just meet once in a while for some meetings and trainings.

The hardest part of the job is changes of the schedule at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my clients recovering.
Wonderful coworkers,clientele and excellent in-office staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Woodstock, ontarioApril 17, 2013
Pros: conversation and knowledge gained
Cons: driving distances, unclean homes, prolonged problem solving
A typical day at work was caring for the senior population, although they can be challenging they are a source of conversations of life.
I learned much of how home care has changed over the years and the importance of independance for as long as possible. Although I worked most of the time with great staff, there were ocassions when the direct in the field contact staff were not as supportive or understanding of the particulars surrounding the PSW field of work.
The hardest part of the job was the split shift and the inconsistant balance of work and home life due to shedualing problems. Althought the driving all over the country side from house to house was not the best aspect, there was a sense of self reliance and responsibilty with the enjoyment of the face to face one on one interaction with the persons I was caring for.
Unique workplace with a really good team
Standard First Aid & First Responder Instructor (Current Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: side job that i can do around my own schedule
Cons: no benefits, not always a consistant in flow of work
It is a very casual job where I set my own hours and my own class schedules. Amazing environment with inspiring students. In addition to teaching I have participated as a first responder at many events. The other instructors are amazing and are always willing to help out with large courses and teaching sessions. I love to teach and work with people and just the constant flow of new people is exciting. The hardest part would be adjusting teaching styles for individuals but I have always manage to figure out a way to make the student process or understand. I have learned different teaching approaches, patience, time management, and am constantly updating and maintaining my basic first aid skill as well as have the opportunity to work with those more advanced and skilled who are always teaching me new skills.
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons: On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
A fun workplace
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee), Prince Edward Island, different locationsDecember 12, 2014
Pros: outdoors all day, got to work with kids, i am very skilled at my job
Cons: weather can be rough at times
I typical day of working with the Red Cross would be loading and unloading canoes and rowboats, travelling to our location, and working with kids and parents. I got to teach children about water safety and keep them entertained in a safe environment. I got to practice my first aid and my communication and teamwork skills with parents and my co-workers.
I learned how to adapt quickly and act on an impulse when needed so everything worked out. I learned how to work well with my team of 8 that I had to live with every day. We had a manager, but we all had to play our part and take responsibility for ourselves and be independent. I learned how to remain calm and patient in hard situations and how to talk with adults in different situations.
I loved my job and I work hard when I am given a job, I always do my the best I can and make the best of every situation.
A great opportunity to support community
Branding Design (Current Employee), OntarioJuly 7, 2014
Pros: food and travel provided
Cons: missing family at home
Doing work for the Canadian Red Cross is a great opportunity to serve the community on a variety of different levels in a team environment. During my Thunder Bay Flood deployment I learned about logistics and became the lead for acquisitions and purchasing supporting all the front workers out in the community. My co-workers were amazing and came from diverse backgrounds having come in from all over the country. The hardest part of the job was being away from my own family. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving community and making new friends with such quality people. During my time serving The Canadian Red Cross was very supportive to all volunteers and their well being physically as well as emotionally. It was nice to be a part of a group of like minded people wanting to help others in any way they could.
Productive work place, with hard working staff and volenteers
Heath Equipment Loan Program ( HELP) Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: free parking down town
Cons: shortage of staff at times
A average work day is taking in coming phone calls, helping clients who are there to pick up short term loan equipment for family, friends or themselves. Picking the orders for clients and explaining how the equipment works for there safety. When needed I also cleaned equipment to be able to restock inventory. I have learned how to handle myself in a very fast place work place.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment for all clients who need the equipment. The co- worker are hard workers as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients who really need the equipment and are happy we are there to help them.
Every day is learning day
Network and Hardware Support (Former Employee), May, ONMay 8, 2014
• Diagnosis and resolution of complex IT problems including migration from Windows XP to Windows 7
• Level 1 & Level 2 phone, email and onsite support to employees
• Assisted employees in troubleshooting problems relating to Operating system issues (Win 7 2003/XP),Network connectivity, TCP/IP configuration and upgrade, Network printers and copier installation and troubleshooting
• Configured users rights and permissions, disabled and enabled accounts, file and folder permissions and configured logon profiles through Active Directory
• MS Exchange 2010/2012 configured and troubleshooting all mailbox style
• Used Service Now and IBM TSD ticketing system.
The toughest job you will ever love
Recovery Case Worker - Recovery Team (Current Employee), High River, ABJuly 9, 2014
The CRC was deployed to deal with the largest disaster in the history of Canada when June 2013 flooding left 100,000 people vulnerable. The work is client based and client driven. It involves not only direct aid but also advocacy to many Government and Non-Governmental agencies. Case loads require intense focus as client needs and issues are ever evolving. Skills such as psychological first aid and de- escalation are important to provide a safe environment for both clients and staff. The extreme challenges of the post disaster era have afforded ample opportunity to hone problem solving and communication skills.
great work experience, welcoming staff
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 27, 2014
Pros: up beat evironment
Working at the Canadian Red Cross I gained a great work experience that can benefit me in my future careers. I worked with customers both in person and on the phone selling merchandise and advertising for upcoming events, I assisted in the setting of the branch along with where the events are taking place, and did computer work (research, signing people up for classes, creating invoices). I also kept track of inventory weekly. At the red Cross I became certified for CPR and First Aid Level C. Everyone at the workplace were very inviting and we all worked together as a team to present our best work.
A very negative environment
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Great volunteers
Cons: Complete lack of organizational vision, very disrespectful of staff
This organization has an unbelievably high staff turnover rate.

Management does not have the vision to lead nor do they have the respect of many employees. Many people will look to the terrific work that the Red Cross does internationally during disasters and other events, however domestically this organization and its leadership use both staff and volunteers and then simply discard them.

The backbone of the Red Cross are volunteers who do their very best, working long hours and giving freely of their time when needed.
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee), Oakville, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: Helping people
Cons: Early start times
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
A brand new adventure every week. Fun, exciting, challening, humbling.
Violence and Abuse Prevention Facilitator (Current Employee), ONApril 16, 2014
Pros: networking, travel, meeting and working with new people.
Cons: need to have more full-time hours.
Working for the Canadian Red Cross in their RespectED Department is a very fast paced, fun, energetic program. Their initiatives around Violence and Abuse Prevention becomes very humbling work. However, it is casual work and I'm looking for full-time work and job security.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the travel and working with different indiviuals who work with children and youth.
RedCross
Personal Support worker (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJune 11, 2013
Pros: lots of learning experiences
Cons: driving
My typical day working for red cross home care was driving from one clients home to the other. Preparing meal,medication reminders, cleaning, applying or taking off compression stockings. We didn't really see any of our co-workers. The there was nothing really hard about the job but the driving times between clients was very un-organized by the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending some one on one with each client and learning more about them and appreciating what we do for them.
homecare
personal support worker (Former Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 7, 2012
Pros: meeting all kinds of new people and there families
Cons: shift work and shortage of hours at time
very flexiable i have learned alot from my experience as a personal support worker such as time management , how to deal with many types of people with different views on life as well as temperments . bathing and assisting with dressing light house keeping and taking care of the well being of the client as well as being avocate for my clients . dealing with many family wishes , paper work and communation to managers and supervisors
Loved the work atmosphere
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), North Bay, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Typical day at work was going into homes and taking care of clients needs. I have learned how to manage my time and to make sure that all that is required of me to be done properly.This was a job you work alone. Management was very helpful. The hardest part is that i did not have my full licence and work had to schedule me to clients i could easily get to. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that my clients where satisfied and alot of clients would specifically ask for me to be there worker.
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: fexible hours
Cons: low hours
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Very Productive and learned alot of new stuff each day
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Windsor OntarioMay 28, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: volunteer
A typical day at work would be going to my office and asking my supervisor what she would like me to do and everything would most likely be on the computer
For Example; Setting up courses , signing up people for courses, writing documents , doing MMT'S and sending invoices
I learned how to use the Microsoft offices programs
My Supervisor was very nice and very respectful
My Co-workers were all friendly and polite
we all treated each other with respect.
Management need more education managing
Finance (Current Employee), Atlantic ZoneFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: volunteers
Cons: management
My experience is that management has far too much control over hiring (friends, relatives, etc.) As well as this, on more than one occasion and from personal experience, disabilities are overlooked, especially mental disabilities. Mental health should be just as important as physical health.
Outside of this the volunteers that work for the Canadian Red Cross are second to none, some of them volunteering in life-threatening situations.