Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

Was a life changing experience.
Case Worker Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 June 2017
A typical day at work was to see clients and assess them based on their current needs. After discussing the clients situation, suitable resources were to be matched to their needs as a result of the disaster that had taken place. On average you would see about three or four clients a day, but I worked with the Indigenous Peoples team. This meant seeing up to eight clients a day six days a week.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive change in the clients post disaster life.
Pros
Making a change and supporting the clients.
Cons
Long hours.
Enjoyable education
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 June 2017
I like the fact that with the knowledge I have imparted, that I might have been able to change someones life. And cause a positive improvement to my students along the way.
Receptionist/Banker
Banker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
I enjoyed working for the Canadian Red Cross, it was an amazing experience. I meet some really nice and caring people and the staff was always changing in the beginning as the Casework was done on a Volunteer 2 week program.
Pros
Meeting new people, having the sense that you were helping people in need out.
Cons
You had to be able to look at each individual situation.
Good opportunities for volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS11 June 2017
I loved working and experiencing volunteer work through the Red Cross. The job has a great team who support each other and the community and other areas in the province.
One of the better homecare companies
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 June 2017
They are pretty good at working with employees as far as schedules. They pay your benefits and they are very good. As far as home care goes they are one of the better companies in Halifax to work for.
Pros
flexible, good pay, great benefits
Cons
not guaranteed hours, management rude
Working at Red cross
Water safety instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 May 2017
Working at Red Cross was a lot of fun! It was a good job with a great balance of in office work and on the road. You never got bored with Red Cross because you were always doing different tasks.
A place to improve on one's technical skills while contributing to humanity
HELP Program Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 May 2017
A fun light hearted atmosphere. Set your own hours, snacks provided, a way to improve ones own technical skills while doing a small but meaningful part to ensure health, safety and dignity for a wide range of people
Pros
Snacks in Fridge, Contribution to humanity
Cons
repetitive work, no pay (all volunteer)
It was great working with the elderly people in my community
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON21 April 2017
I loved working with the people, helping them in the hour of need.

It felt like I was doing something good in my life because I love helping others and this was a great place to be.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
lack of time in a day
Enjoyed working in clinics throughout Ontario
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2017
Canadian Red Cross provided a change environment form the hospital. It was a pleasure to interact with the donors. Voluntarily giving blood is a value to be cherished
Pros
Working environment outside a hospital
Cons
Long hours traveling
Wonderful place to work
Violence & Abuse Prevention Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 March 2017
A fast paced ever changing position. Learn new skills when ever presented. Management is great. I have been a part of an amazing team. The work culture of the job consists of working with many different people from many diverse backgrounds. The most rewarding part of the job is getting to meet new people, networking and building healthier relationship and environments.
Pros
Tarvel
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Work Environment
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta26 March 2017
While working at the Canadian Red Cross I learnt to manage my time to meet deadlines and multitask different jobs at one time.
The management at Canadian Red Cross were very cooperative and approachable.
Disaster Management in Fort McMurray AB
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 January 2017
Questionable hiring and firing practices.
Questionable/incomplete adherence to the Occupational Health and Safety Code.
Alleged discrimination in practice.
Pros
Reputable Organization. Support with living expenses provided.
productive and work oriented environment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
I loved working here. A very active and fast paced work environment. The customer interactions is very fun and enjoyable. Coworkers are always fun to work with and a benefit to look forword to working with.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
no cons
A lot of comradery . We supported and helped each other.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 January 2017
We were a team on blood clinics. Everyone knew their job. Equipment was unloaded and set up. People went to work and at the end of the day we loaded the equipment back in the Jumbo truck and the blood into the refrigerator truck and drove back to our home depot in Hamilton. There was a piano in the lounge and we had sing alongs.
Great workplace
Record Management Assistant Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 January 2017
Really diverse workforce with employees and volunteers from various cultural background. Everyone respects and learns from different cultures which creates sensitivities and care towards each other.
Pros
Provide work life balance
Cons
May not get to know everyone if you are only volunteer one or two days a week there
It was an excellent experience working with social and community commitments
Data Entry Agent (on contract) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 December 2016
Worked with people of different caliber and expertise and it was a great experience working with employees, volunteers from all over the province in Canada. It helped me to learn the different culture and and their experiences in Canada. Management was caring and loving all its employees and volunteers. Since it was a contract position, I could not stay long. If any future opportunity arises, I would love working with them.
fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 November 2016
I loved the people i worked with. people were very confident and very fun making and loving people. I miss the atmosphere
great clients to take care of/ nice office staff
Registered Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 November 2016
overall company is still growing.
office staff are helpful.
wish some one will talk to you when you call. sometimes you do not have the time to call later.
we have to use our own cell phones, sometimes your battery gets low and with home care, clients do not mind you using a plug, but you need to have the adapter with you, as long you didn't leave it at home
i would like to see company replace clients when they are removed from my schedule.
pay goes down, stays that way for some time.
rate of pay is low.
I work on my own, home services 5 days a week, 1-2 hour visits.
clients are living at home with other person or retirement living.
you do get attached. I like to look at my work as seeing my own grandparents in their place and treat them as my own.
It gives me great pleasure to see and help people in my business, which also allows me to be a true, honest person, my personality is always good to everyone-its a natural feeling:
being a R. P.S.W. allows me to be me for over 27 years.
also continue with a great reputation which is highly important to me
Pros
great people to care for
Cons
some days are long
The Canadian Red Cross in Ontario offers an extensive network of programs and services that actively reach out and serve local communities throughout
Community Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 November 2016
I was responsible for running the day to day operations of the office,along with some amazing volunteers. As the first point of contact for clients, my job was to process healthcare equipment rentals, first aid registrations,monetary donations. The most difficult part of my job was knowing there was more need in the community than our organization could provide with limited funds, staff, and restrictions due to some policy and procedures. My job as an administrator not only consist of dealing with clients, but supporting managers and staff from other departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others !
Pros
Helping others
Cons
limitations of the service than can be provided
productive
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2016
a typical day will start at 9am to 5pm

I have learnt the use of professional telephone etiquette and capability to take reservations.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.