Canadian Red Cross

Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

A very negative environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
This organization has an unbelievably high staff turnover rate.

Management does not have the vision to lead nor do they have the respect of many employees. Many people will look to the terrific work that the Red Cross does internationally during disasters and other events, however domestically this organization and its leadership use both staff and volunteers and then simply discard them.

The backbone of the Red Cross are volunteers who do their very best, working long hours and giving freely of their time when needed.
Pros
Great volunteers
Cons
Complete lack of organizational vision, very disrespectful of staff
Interesting work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2016
Read and code the evaluations received and then enter data into a customized software.
Volunteer at the Red Cross once a week.
Same as most Home Health Care Companies
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NBJanuary 4, 2016
a typical day at work is providing personal and home support to clients in their homes, there are some stressful situations in some homes.
co-workers are wonderful.
the hardest part of the job is seeing the clients' health deteriorate
the most enjoyable part of the job is providing as much help and care that I can.
Pros
wonderful clients
Cons
sometimes having to travel a fair distance for only a few hours work
Enjoy at work with Discipline.
Front Desk Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONDecember 26, 2015
Satisfied to work in clean and hygiene atmosphere.
Fast and quick services.
Quick service and satisfied them.
Cleaning the kitchen.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours on Weekend
Receptionist
Front Line Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONDecember 11, 2015
This was by far my favourite job, the staff is amazing, the training is amazing, the opportunities are amazing. I answered phones, did paperwork, and assisted other departments.
Not my most pleasant
Door to door Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
The environment was fine.
Most of my co-workers were nice and decent people.
However, the timing for me was not suitable. 12 noon-11pm
The hardest part was walking door to door trying to find a donor.
Cons
Long hours, Lots of walking, Must pay for your own way
just not a good fit
transportation coodinator (Former Employee) –  barrieSeptember 14, 2015
nice place to work--nice ppl. the pay is not on scale for the duties and responsibilities <30k and there is no time to train new employees. I was given a manual to work from. I was working in a 4x4 cubical and on the phone and computer for 3.5 hrs at a time.
just not a good fit for me
Pros
the hours
Cons
sink or swim
Amazing company
Dispatcher / Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 23, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Redcross. It was the most amazing career I may ever have. Helping clients was the best part of my job and we had the most amazing staff to work with. If it weren't for the fact my family and I moved to Ottawa I never would have left.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Moving away
fun place to work,social activities
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2015
working with people is one of the enjoyable things I love to do,everyone is different and unique in their own way,management was always there if needed,worked with a lot of great people.It can get really cold in the winter especially in and out.
Pros
always a social event
Cons
part time not full time
PSW
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesAugust 20, 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St ThomasAugust 19, 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..
poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 22, 2015
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Pros
Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons
after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
Pros
Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons
On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
Never in my life time
A moron (Former Employee) –  Niagara onJune 20, 2015
Would never work for an thing again that say red cross on it at all .. the lack of management that doesn't excesses is scary drive bus an your license. May be taken away because u most be an idiot for driving it because they don't fix busses or have right form in most take it from some one knows not a place to work unless u are a born monkey
Pros
U may work an u may not
Cons
Never need to worry about money cause u won't get it from them
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 19, 2015
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Early start times
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 19, 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.
Very interesting place to work,
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 26, 2015
I was able to learn many new things with Red Cross. I worked as a Health Care Aide in a in home setting, and was able to fulfill many lives of seniors which I truly enjoyed. I also had the opportunity to work in the office as an assistant and was able to expand on my skills. In this aspect of the job I was working directly with the public and co-workers. Providing excellent customer service was enjoyable and learning all the aspects Red Cross has to offer was also interesting.
Pros
fexible hours
Cons
low hours
Great company to work for.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSMarch 2, 2015
Red Cross was a great company to work for. They are a BIG company with a lot of policies and procedures, but its all for the health and safety of their employees. They pay was not great, but the job was very rewarding. Supervisors and management were fantastic.
Pros
job security
Cons
low pay
Certification
Student (Former Employee) –  SudburyMarch 1, 2015
Easy to learn hands on training that allows you to learn valuable techniques that can help saves lives. Organized and simple
Loved working here
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 24, 2015
great place to work if you enjoy having time for one on one patient care. really loved being able to make a difference in the lives of my clients.
Pros
able to take your time with clients
Cons
lots of driving