Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Volunteer
Disaster Management Volunteer, Logistics (Current Employee), Moncton, NBApril 19, 2016
Volunteering with the Canadian Red Cross Disaster Management Team is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. This organization truly operates on proper principles and values.
Productive and rewarding
PDA responder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Pros: Rewarding
Cons: Long hours
A typical day at work would be helping people who have been affected by disasters by filling in their information on the assessment forms provided by the Red Cross. We help them during their vulnerable times by providing them with a list of resources they can contact in order to get help.
The work was very rewarding and it has helped me realize that I am very passionate about community work.
Good
senior project manager - solution analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 10, 2016
Good place to work and enjoy life balance, culture, and benefits amongst many other things. Excellent management and job advancement.
Red Cross
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 7, 2016
I am usually the first point of contact for the community workers as well as the our patients and caregivers. My job is to confirm appointments or make changes within limits with the patients for the health care providers. The most difficult part of my job at times is to clarify information from patients that is diagnosed with Alzheimer or dementia but to rectify that situation I would often communicate with next of kin or caregiver of the patient. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that my team and I have provided some comfort for the patient and some sense of normalcy for a family member. I learned that every patient needs are different and they vary from day to day. I come to expect the unexpected at my job as an administrator as my daily task not only consist of dealing with patients but replenishing office supplies so that our staff and community workers always have supplies to do their job efficiently.
A very negative environment
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Great volunteers
Cons: Complete lack of organizational vision, very disrespectful of staff
This organization has an unbelievably high staff turnover rate.

Management does not have the vision to lead nor do they have the respect of many employees. Many people will look to the terrific work that the Red Cross does internationally during disasters and other events, however domestically this organization and its leadership use both staff and volunteers and then simply discard them.

The backbone of the Red Cross are volunteers who do their very best, working long hours and giving freely of their time when needed.
Interesting work
Volunteer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 28, 2016
Read and code the evaluations received and then enter data into a customized software.
Volunteer at the Red Cross once a week.
Same as most Home Health Care Companies
Home Support Worker (Former Employee), Woodstock, NBJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: wonderful clients
Cons: sometimes having to travel a fair distance for only a few hours work
a typical day at work is providing personal and home support to clients in their homes, there are some stressful situations in some homes.
co-workers are wonderful.
the hardest part of the job is seeing the clients' health deteriorate
the most enjoyable part of the job is providing as much help and care that I can.
Enjoy at work with Discipline.
Front Desk Volunteer (Current Employee), Barrie, ONDecember 26, 2015
Pros: Free Lunch
Cons: Long Hours on Weekend
Satisfied to work in clean and hygiene atmosphere.
Fast and quick services.
Quick service and satisfied them.
Cleaning the kitchen.
Receptionist
Front Line Administrator (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONDecember 11, 2015
This was by far my favourite job, the staff is amazing, the training is amazing, the opportunities are amazing. I answered phones, did paperwork, and assisted other departments.
Not my most pleasant
Door to door Sales Rep (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
Cons: Long hours, Lots of walking, Must pay for your own way
The environment was fine.
Most of my co-workers were nice and decent people.
However, the timing for me was not suitable. 12 noon-11pm
The hardest part was walking door to door trying to find a donor.
just not a good fit
transportation coodinator (Former Employee), barrieSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: the hours
Cons: sink or swim
nice place to work--nice ppl. the pay is not on scale for the duties and responsibilities <30k and there is no time to train new employees. I was given a manual to work from. I was working in a 4x4 cubical and on the phone and computer for 3.5 hrs at a time.
just not a good fit for me
Amazing company
Dispatcher / Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Helping people
Cons: Moving away
I enjoyed working for the Redcross. It was the most amazing career I may ever have. Helping clients was the best part of my job and we had the most amazing staff to work with. If it weren't for the fact my family and I moved to Ottawa I never would have left.
fun place to work,social activities
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2015
Pros: always a social event
Cons: part time not full time
working with people is one of the enjoyable things I love to do,everyone is different and unique in their own way,management was always there if needed,worked with a lot of great people.It can get really cold in the winter especially in and out.
PSW
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), St. CatharinesAugust 20, 2015
I left the red cross to pursue a career in long term care and found employment with Shalom Manor. Red Cross couldn't give me a better salary.
Good company
Community Support Worker (Former Employee), St ThomasAugust 19, 2015
like any other organization there's good and there's breakdowns..
Communication is a struggle sometimes, but their in service training sessions is helpful for workers and certainly beneficial for the patients..
poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Psws were a compasionate hard working group!
Cons: after working for Red Cross for so many years you get little acknowledgement
I was not very happy with Red Cross because of lack of communication on schedulers behalf but was not their fault most of the time.
Very positive, team oriented office.
Nursing Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment with a great team of other coordinators dedicated to their patients.
Cons: On call 24 hours a day for one week/month.
My time with Red Cross was spent coordinating patients with nursing staff. This consisted of reviewing the patient's care plan and matching them with nurses possessing the skills and education to meet the patient's needs in the timeframe specified by the doctor's order.

At the time I started with Red Cross I was a fairly new grad with only experience as a dictatypist previously. The skills I obtained in this position became the base for my future career.I learned to be very organized and detail oriented working with a large team of coordinators, nursing staff of all levels as well as management, but also some great customer service skills when speaking with patients and their family members.

I very much enjoyed my time at Red Cross and the only reason I left was to start my family.
Never in my life time
A moron (Former Employee), Niagara onJune 20, 2015
Pros: U may work an u may not
Cons: Never need to worry about money cause u won't get it from them
Would never work for an thing again that say red cross on it at all .. the lack of management that doesn't excesses is scary drive bus an your license. May be taken away because u most be an idiot for driving it because they don't fix busses or have right form in most take it from some one knows not a place to work unless u are a born monkey
My review as a Red Cross Bus Driver
Casual on Call Bus Driver (Current Employee), Oakville, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: Helping people
Cons: Early start times
A typical day starts with me going into the office usually about 30 minutes before my shift starts and reviewing where I will be picking up and dropping off clients that morning. Once I have reviewed that information I go out to the bus and perform my circle check of the vehicle. I fill out my CVOR forms and submit them to the office. Then after completing that I would start my scheduled pickups
The hardest part of the job would be the early mornings start up times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and talking to them.
Good place to be
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 19, 2015
It is a good place to be because you know that you are helping those in need of help a specially after a disaster and help them get back on their feet.