Canadian Property Stars

Canadian Property Stars Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Will Reward Competitive/Driven Individuals
Former Worker, Current Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, ON Kitchener-WaterlooJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: Very flexible schedule for entry level positions
Cons: Definitely not for everyone
I have been working with the company for several years and had actually changed my course of job searches in order to continue to grow with the company.
I began work in the entry level door-to-door sales position several years ago while I was still in college and worked a couple days a week around my classes. I was skeptical and nervous (I used to be pretty shy) at first because I had never had an outdoor job or a sales job but I was open to the opportunity because every other job I had before was pretty miserable. I had also read a couple things online that were not very kind but I figured I would check it out for myself.
After working for a few weeks I found it difficult to get away from the competitive nature of the job as I grew up as an athlete in several sports. Once exams were done I pretty much started working every day and learned more about myself than anything. I learned how far I was willing to push myself to achieve goals or to beat personal bests or to beat other members of the team. It was very hard work but I found that the harder I worked, the bigger the rewards.
I never won a lot of daily bonuses, but they did happen. I worked every day and earned about $200 per day having had zero experience in lawn care or sales before I started. It took me about a week of working to start making that consistently but I also had days where I earned as much as $700 in a day. I also had days that I earned almost nothing but it did have more to do with me giving up on my day.
The hours are long, but you choose your schedule. The pay is commission (which is scary), but it – more... gives you an opportunity to earn more than a job that would cap your earnings hourly. If you are want a job that you can sit around or slack off or be lazy and take a lot of breaks this will not be the job for you. But the choice is always yours as to when you take your breaks, or have lunch, or whatever. YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS. You don't have someone breathing down your neck, pointing fingers, but you do have management assistance, and of course there are guidelines that are set by the company that are expected to be followed.
I also found that different people stuck around for different reasons. Some people weren't very good at the job but still learned the life skills and liked being in an environment where being negative and miserable is frowned upon and being happy and competitive is encouraged. Experienced workers were encouraging and helpful to those who displayed the willingness to learn.
Some people that worked there really had a hard time not being negative and usually didn't last very long and they don't fit in.
Now I am a manager with the company and have been for several years. The company gave me quick opportunity for advancement based on work ethic (not years in or seniority), opportunities to travel, full benefits, RRSP matching program, competitive salaries, and so on.
I have had my ups and downs with the company but the downs usually end up being lessons learned and I have more ups as time goes on. Now, there are more positions available which are not all door-to-door positions but most do start in the door-to-door positions and transfer to the hourly positions if that suits them better. The services provided by the company are beneficial and essential for every homeowner, which makes it easy to get behind and is a reason that the company has grown the way it has. My advice would be that if you consider yourself hard-working and competitive then at least check it out for yourself and make your own decision. If you want a free ride then don't look for it here. There are no promises of riches or getting rich quick but if you dedicate yourself you will earn more here then you will "flipping burgers" and learn more too.

Again, if you are looking for flexible spring/summer employment or an opportunity to earn some cash without a heavy commitment or expense to start then check it out. The company is different than a normal job but don't let previous misconceptions to make your decision for you, go to a hiring session and learn the truth for yourself. – less
Not as great
Sales associate (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 4, 2016
there was a long day put in for little pay. Sometimes even no pay out occurred. This job helped me learn to deal with rejection, but the problem is, little to no pay, no benefits, and it was only seasonal.
it's door to door sales
Direct sales (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 31, 2015
Pros: it got my bills paid
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work go in do a meeting get my route go out on it may or may not get any sales and then end the day helping with someone els job because they got more work than they could get done them self, The most enjoying part was the people the hardest part was probably always being turned down and working in all the weather it is quite hard to sell window washing in the rain.
Summer Job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Can set your own hrs
Cons: Unfriendly people
This job is more for people who are looking for a summer job and not a full time one the pay is only commission based and the people you work with can be rude
A physically demanding workplace with long hours
Head Contractor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Good pay, but a fraction of what you made in actuality
Cons: low pay in comparism to what you really made for the company.
Physically demanding past the point of most people. Long hours. Commission based at around 30% of total daily earnings even though you are doing almost 100% of the work.
Experience and Endurance
Independent Contractor (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 7, 2015
Pros: Transportation and very flexible
Cons: Long hours and low commision
- a typical day at work starts off by me waking up at around 6:00 am. I would spend around 30 minutes preparing food and the other 30 preparing myself. At 7:00 am I would be out the door and at white oaks mall waiting to be picked up by my manager at 7:15 am. My manager would be late most of the time due to traffic, so I always end up waiting another 30 mins. Once she has picked me up and the other employees, she drives back to the main office where we meet up with the other employees. The rest of the employees and I then set up the next day we were available to work. We spend another hour in the lounge where we watch presentations on how to sell products(driveway sealant), pairing up into teams of two and ways we could persuade the customer into buying our product. After the presentations, we spend around 15 mins preparing our cart and then get dropped off at me and my partners designated route around a neighborhood. We analyze the route and come up with strategies on how to "link" driveways in order to get a sale. Usually, we'd start knocking on doors while me or my co-worker would push the 120lb cart at around 10:30 am. We would get our first sale by noon, but I have had some days where I did not get my first sale till 8:00 pm. Preparing the driveway on our first sale, my co-worker would knock on the door across the driveway to persuade the buyer even more. we would repeat this procedure until around 9:00 pm where we get picked up and brought back to the shop. We would then count up all the sales we made. Each driveway is usually sold for around $150-200 and typical amount – more... of driveways sold a day would be 3-4, but then again I've had days where I had no sales and days where I would get 6. My co-worker and i would each take 13% of the total minus $10 for shuttle transportation.

There is a bright side about this job. I've learned a lot while working for CPS. How to negotiate with clients and a lot of hands-on responsibilities. Learned that I need to try in order to be successful and that teamwork and strategy is mandatory.

My co-workers were the highlight of my experience.It was very fun and is probably the main reason I stayed with the job because the pay was awful. I was able to view my job at a different perspective by discussing it with them. Most of them were in university so I was known as the baby of the company. These co-workers would last at most 3 months. I see a lot of employees quit the first day on the job and wasn't a surprise to me due to the conditions.

The job itself was almost impossible to maintain a decent pay and as I mentioned able to persuade a customer in spending 200 on sealant was hard enough.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers all day, able to depend on them while them able to depend on me. – less
No fun
Door to Door sales (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: EVERYTHING
Didnt like the place, door to door commission based pay is not what i wanted. I was expecting hour pay, and it was all commission
Good place to work, nice people
Tele Sales Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Lots of education and great people
Cons: Afternoon shift, seasonal work
My day consisted of making outbound calls to our previous customers, we had over a 100,000 from across the country so I got to talk hundreds of great people everyday.

So I learned a lot about directing selling on the phone and in person. From creating rapport, building interest,building value, creating impulse, direct closing, trial closing and plus a ton more.

Of course most of it was self taught through reading and studying on my own time but with the right direction from management I was able to excel to become the top salesman in the office.

My co workers were amazing most of them were just looking to get better at direct sales on the phone and selling themselves. I had to learn to be a leader not just a supervisor. Working with them and seeing them grow was probably the most enjoyable part of my job.I also enjoyed talking to customers and solving their problems when it came to their property maintenance.
DONT WORK HERE
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
Its 13 hour days minimum and you need to make a sale or you will not get any money. they will actually deduct 10 dollars for the machine that you have to lug around all day. and on top of that, if you dont keep track of your hours they will rip you off. They are also a drama infested work place that only take smack about each other and it just isnt worth it.
Hard Work, Great Pay!!!
Salesman/Aeration Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Get picked up in the morning by company van.
Cons: Exhausting shifts
You must be self motivated and ready to work long hours to succeed at this type of job. 13 hour days sometimes, but definitely opportunity to make lots of money.
High pressure competitive workplace
Salesman (Former Employee), Surrey, BCOctober 26, 2015
Best job I've ever had. High pressure sales environment that also requires you to be very active and physical.

Property management company that requires you to do door-to-door sales selling lawn and home services, job requires you to then perform those services once a sale is made.
people where good
Drive way Sealer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 7, 2015
I only worked 1 day with this company as it was very misleading they make it seem as tough they have full time work for you but they really don't you have to get the customers as you go
13- 15 hour days every day
Landscaper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: High pay
Cons: Long hours, bad management, lots of waiting
Pretty bad, the management were really pushy and rude and always slept on the job while everyone else was working on lawns.
The only good thing was the amount of money you made daily.
really enjoy they job
contractor (Former Employee), surrey BCSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: experience, sales, you grow as a person, free life advice
Cons: long hours. hard work
job for hard working people ONLY, no joke, this place is tough but its one the most rewarding jobs you will ever work, great teams great management.
Productive but stressful workplace
Office Administrator (Current Employee), Ottawa ONAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Nice people
Cons: Poor pay for extensive work/effort. No opportunities for growth or advancement
While all employees are very nice and friendly, it is a stressful environment as a whole. Excellent experience to gain from this workplace. Casual dress and atmosphere.
You only get paid if you make a sales.
Landscaper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2015
The short time that i worked there was not a very pleasant one and i did not make much money due to not making alot of sales. The company want you to follow in the footsteps of its founder. Not saying that its a bad thing but its really not for everyone. If you like to work an entire day (and more) with the great possibility of gaining very little then this is perfect for you. You get paid by making sales. if u make a sale a small percentage of it is yours. you would think thats a good thing , but what if no one wants you services which i found that many honestly didn't want due to the same company coming to the same neighborhood each year and charging the people large amounts of money for something that they themselves do on their own. unlucky as i am, in the area that i was station there was a local guy who did the same thing that i do but for only $20 and me dresssed in red asking for $40+ i never worked there again after i saw a friend of mine gain only $5 for the entire day due to no sales in her area..the people just didn't want the same thing every year for the same high price wit little effectiveness.
Great Resume Building and meet Inspiring People
Door to door sales person (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Meeting new People
Cons: Tiring Hours
The job was very tedious and exhausting. But gave me the opportunity to build my resume and meet some of the most Hardworking people I know in my life. For that I am truly grateful for what they have done for me directly and indirectly.
Untrained Management
Landscaping (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Staying physically active
Cons: Management
My typical day at work would be leaving at 8:00am in the morning and putting in 14 hours per day, and coming home at 10:30pm.
I learned how to landscape and driveway ceiling.
Canadian Property was productive but their management was unskilled and unprepared. (New Management every few weeks.)
My co-workers were always a joy to work with.
The hardest part was having to switch mangers every other week.
My most enjoyable part of the job was getting a work out.

(Also never got fully paid, for the hours that I put in.)
productive and fun workplace
CLEANER (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 24, 2015
Pros: pick the days you work
Cons: long hours everyone
I learned how to sell and operate heavy machinery. The bosses are fun to be around. Fun workplace with a lot of positive people. Overall was a helpful sales experience.
Good job if you like commission
Head of Administration/Traveling Recruiter (Former Employee), North YorkJune 21, 2015
Pros: 4 months off, paid
Cons: 7 days a week
- Long days, little work load
- Mainly common sense, not many new skills learned
- Valuable networks made
- Working closely with little other managers in location made 7 days a week schedule difficult
Headquarters