Canadian Property Stars

Canadian Property Stars Employee Reviews in Canada

It is a hard work where the worker have to find the clients
Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2016
The person need to ask house by house who want the services that the company offer. If the employee do not find a client in all day (10-112hours of work) the employer put you in a wait list to work again. This means that the worker need to way one week or more.
It is a hard work but you enjoy if the people treat you well and you find clients. You work alone and the supervisor pass every 1hr to see if the worker need something as well as to know if you do not disappear with the machine.
Pros
Win a lot money in a day if you find more than 20 houses
Cons
No everyone want the service, so you salary per day is very low
worst job ever
cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 6, 2016
this job wasn't for everyone it's very hard you get paid based on commission. you will work for very long hours and get paid very low. management is very nice but the company should be paying based on hourly rate.
Not as great
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 4, 2016
there was a long day put in for little pay. Sometimes even no pay out occurred. This job helped me learn to deal with rejection, but the problem is, little to no pay, no benefits, and it was only seasonal.
Will Reward Competitive/Driven Individuals
Former Worker, Current Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON Kitchener-WaterlooJanuary 26, 2016
I have been working with the company for several years and had actually changed my course of job searches in order to continue to grow with the company.
I began work in the entry level door-to-door sales position several years ago while I was still in college and worked a couple days a week around my classes. I was skeptical and nervous (I used to be pretty shy) at first because I had never had an outdoor job or a sales job but I was open to the opportunity because every other job I had before was pretty miserable. I had also read a couple things online that were not very kind but I figured I would check it out for myself.
After working for a few weeks I found it difficult to get away from the competitive nature of the job as I grew up as an athlete in several sports. Once exams were done I pretty much started working every day and learned more about myself than anything. I learned how far I was willing to push myself to achieve goals or to beat personal bests or to beat other members of the team. It was very hard work but I found that the harder I worked, the bigger the rewards.
I never won a lot of daily bonuses, but they did happen. I worked every day and earned about $200 per day having had zero experience in lawn care or sales before I started. It took me about a week of working to start making that consistently but I also had days where I earned as much as $700 in a day. I also had days that I earned almost nothing but it did have more to do with me giving up on my day.
The hours are long, but you choose your schedule. The pay is commission (which is scary), but it
  more... gives you an opportunity to earn more than a job that would cap your earnings hourly. If you are want a job that you can sit around or slack off or be lazy and take a lot of breaks this will not be the job for you. But the choice is always yours as to when you take your breaks, or have lunch, or whatever. YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS. You don't have someone breathing down your neck, pointing fingers, but you do have management assistance, and of course there are guidelines that are set by the company that are expected to be followed.
I also found that different people stuck around for different reasons. Some people weren't very good at the job but still learned the life skills and liked being in an environment where being negative and miserable is frowned upon and being happy and competitive is encouraged. Experienced workers were encouraging and helpful to those who displayed the willingness to learn.
Some people that worked there really had a hard time not being negative and usually didn't last very long and they don't fit in.
Now I am a manager with the company and have been for several years. The company gave me quick opportunity for advancement based on work ethic (not years in or seniority), opportunities to travel, full benefits, RRSP matching program, competitive salaries, and so on.
I have had my ups and downs with the company but the downs usually end up being lessons learned and I have more ups as time goes on. Now, there are more positions available which are not all door-to-door positions but most do start in the door-to-door positions and transfer to the hourly positions if that suits them better. The services provided by the company are beneficial and essential for every homeowner, which makes it easy to get behind and is a reason that the company has grown the way it has. My advice would be that if you consider yourself hard-working and competitive then at least check it out for yourself and make your own decision. If you want a free ride then don't look for it here. There are no promises of riches or getting rich quick but if you dedicate yourself you will earn more here then you will "flipping burgers" and learn more too.

Again, if you are looking for flexible spring/summer employment or an opportunity to earn some cash without a heavy commitment or expense to start then check it out. The company is different than a normal job but don't let previous misconceptions to make your decision for you, go to a hiring session and learn the truth for yourself.
Pros
Very flexible schedule for entry level positions
Cons
Definitely not for everyone
Amazing Experience Tough Job
Sales Manager/trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 29, 2016
You typically begin your day very early providing a shuttle service for workers around the city. Once you arrive at the shop you prepare and possibly load equipment. Team is then prepared with a sales meeting . After ,we depart the shop heading to our location for thew day. Each associate is dropped off with specific territory. Once the team of 11-14 people are dropped off you begin a continuous orbit around the associates motivating then , repairing equipment,dealing with customers concerns,watching for theft etc. At sundown begin to pick up all associates and equipment then drive back to shop. Upon arriving at the shop unload equipment and begin the process of paying out the associates . Once payout is complete perform reverse shuttle for associates . possibly return to shop for further repairs and organization.

Other duties include recruitment of associates ,phone re-booking of past clients. repairs /touch ups to customers properties.
Pros
excellent environment. Great pay possibilities. Dynamic company willing to grow and change.
Cons
extreme hours difficult work life balance for some.
Looks good on the outside, but once you in, your a slave.
Aerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 12, 2016
You pick the days you work. But in the hiring session every person was recruited, a homeless guy could've been. It's like a cult. You get dragged into a room, they tell you how it is and are insulted if you aren't committed. Out of hundreds of people, when I quit they took it really hard. I had a few jobs lined up but apparently I was already hired. It's commission based pay. There is no base pay. You work 12 hour days. The managers aren't very understanding. You may work Hard to build a company, but there is a lack of understanding the risk involved and that nobody cares about your company. We're all just here to do a job. There is a chance you could get paid no money and work 12 hours. If that happened to me I would make a scene in front of the managers.
Pros
Choosing shifts
Cons
Hours and pay
Hard Work little money!
DOOR SALES (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 28, 2016
The company hires students, recruits the students at the Colleges and Universities Cafeterias , with making$$$$$ but after one day most students find out the truth, you have to pay $100 for your gas, and other fees, and at the end of the day you may get $30 for 8 hrs work. Totally looser job! Stay away! This is a Marketing Company not work oriented company, at least that is what I found out! Will teach you not to go knocking on doors. Door to Door sales ! Does not work! They use you to leave pamphlets. They make money and you loose out, time and hard work! You do get good experience to the door to door sales, and learn your lesson not to go back!
Pros
No Free LUNCH
Cons
LOSER JOB
Scam company!!
Door to Door Salesman (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 2, 2016
This company is a scam. Your basic day will look like this
waking up at 6am getting to office for 7am picking up machines and given routes and pre booked jobs.

You'll start your first prebooked job around 8/9am and are supposed to stop half way in order to knock on doors trying to sell a service that no one wants. You'll spend 14 hours doing one or two prebooked jobs and knocking on doors trying to get more work and when you finally do get work CPS takes 70% of whatever you earn plus rental fees for machines.

then at the end of the day you'll get paid and pressured into signing up to another shift. If you say no, the managers will be very rude and will try and pressure you into working there again.

They basically use you to distribute flyers and get free marketing.

There is no base pay here you'll find it incredibly hard to sell their product and if by some miracle you're able to you only walk away with 30% of what you earn they keep the 70% plus $10 for machine rentals.
Pros
They hire ANYONE
Cons
Unpaid flyer distribution, selling door to door, $90 on a 14 hour shift if you're lucky
it's door to door sales
Direct sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 31, 2015
A typical day at work go in do a meeting get my route go out on it may or may not get any sales and then end the day helping with someone els job because they got more work than they could get done them self, The most enjoying part was the people the hardest part was probably always being turned down and working in all the weather it is quite hard to sell window washing in the rain.
Pros
it got my bills paid
Cons
The harder you work, the bigger the reward
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 11, 2016
Start in the morning, end at night
Earning depended on how many sales per day
Management team were very helpful and motivating
Worked alone
Hardest part was not getting inside your head (Very mentally and physically challenging job)
Best part of the job was getting paid at the end of the day
Pros
Good work ethic practice
Cons
Mentally and physically tough
A physically demanding workplace with long hours
Head Contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2015
Physically demanding past the point of most people. Long hours. Commission based at around 30% of total daily earnings even though you are doing almost 100% of the work.
Pros
Good pay, but a fraction of what you made in actuality
Cons
low pay in comparism to what you really made for the company.
Good place to work, nice people
Tele Sales Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 2, 2015
My day consisted of making outbound calls to our previous customers, we had over a 100,000 from across the country so I got to talk hundreds of great people everyday.

So I learned a lot about directing selling on the phone and in person. From creating rapport, building interest,building value, creating impulse, direct closing, trial closing and plus a ton more.

Of course most of it was self taught through reading and studying on my own time but with the right direction from management I was able to excel to become the top salesman in the office.

My co workers were amazing most of them were just looking to get better at direct sales on the phone and selling themselves. I had to learn to be a leader not just a supervisor. Working with them and seeing them grow was probably the most enjoyable part of my job.I also enjoyed talking to customers and solving their problems when it came to their property maintenance.
Pros
Lots of education and great people
Cons
Afternoon shift, seasonal work
13- 15 hour days every day
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Pretty bad, the management were really pushy and rude and always slept on the job while everyone else was working on lawns.
The only good thing was the amount of money you made daily.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Long hours, bad management, lots of waiting
Terrible workplace.
Aerator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 14, 2016
The day consisted of waking up at 4am, to go to a 5am shift at which point, you would go door to door requesting the sale of lawn Aeration.

90% of people will turn you away and when you do finally get a sale, you work so hard under the burning sun just to earn 15% of whatever you sold and worked.

So if you were to earn 500 over the day.
You would only really get 15% of that minus a $40 equipment rental fee.

Terrible company.
Cons
Everything.
Good place to Earn good money in short time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 15, 2016
I started working with Canadian property Stars as a Summer Job . The Job involved Door to door sales and was very rewarding for me . I was awarded as the rookie of the year . I was better able to understand the concept of direct selling and how to build long lasting relationship with customer .
Pros
Good Commisions
Cons
Longhours
productive enviroment with many different incentives to increase productivity
Door-to-Door sales (Former Employee) –  london ontarioMarch 22, 2015
the hardest part of my job was working on a commision based salary, i had no garuntee on a weekly pay and it really sucked working for 12 hours and making $12. in my opinion, this job was terrible, other than my encouraging manager and respectful co-workers.
Pros
free rides to work, incentives
Cons
long hours, commision based salary
You had to pay to leave
Lawn Aeration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2016
If you had to leave during the day you had to pay $100 inconvenience fee. You woke up early to go to a warehouse, hoped in a van with 13 other people, got driven to an area of the city, and dropped off alone with a lawn aerator. If you didn't make any sales that day you didn't make any money. It was just an extremely weird job.
Pros
Picked your own days.
One day in CPS
Student Contractor/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 10, 2016
I guess it was pretty fun working while walking around door to door and ask people if they wanted they're driveway sealed. From doing all the talking, I got to be more a people person, I used to be a quiet kid, but from talking to all the people it got me more on talking to a lot of people now
Pros
fun atmosphere
Not your average workplace
Former Contractor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONFebruary 4, 2016
I worked with the company in many locations for a few years and recently found a full-time job in my field of study (civil engineering) so I won't be able to return this year. I wanted to make a review here because it was such a great experience for me. This is not a normal work environment and it is actually what I found awesome about it. I had a great time, developed people skills, leadership skills, and overall just had a good time competing every day I worked.

Some of the reviews here are just slander and lies. Ridiculous and sickening really. I'm not sure what would lead someone to write some of this stuff but if it were true then all CPS staff would be in jail by now. Reports of withholding pay, and being a "scam", and slave labor and any other nonsense is just ridiculous. Other real parts of the business being spun in a negative light such as not receiving 100% of the commission despite supposedly having done all the work. Again, ridiculous. It's a business with expenses. That would be like saying the guy who puts the fries in the fryer at a fast food place deserves to take 100% of the money for it because he's doing all the work to cook the fries. The commission is fair considering the luxuries that are provided by the company to actually make this as easy as possible.

If you have been a student in any college or university in Ontario then you will have seen the company at almost every Career Fair put on by your school, in addition to booths, and other school sponsored events promoting jobs they feel are acceptable for students. If any of these claims that the
  more... company is a "scam" were true then why would YOUR school want to show you this opportunity. It doesn't make any sense.

The management teams are probably the hardest working people I have ever met and usually positive, motivating, and energetic. It's not like any other workplace and really helped me develop the skills I needed to have the guts to get the job I really wanted rather than settling for a mediocre opportunity.

If you have any doubts then just go to the hiring where you can make your own choice. They definitely do not sugar coat the job and make it clear that it is hard work. Just get the information you need. Don't be dumb, if you consider yourself hard-working, positive, and don't mind having a job that is a bit of a workout then you should at least give yourself a chance to do this at least for a few days early in the season while you are still in classes. That way if you find out that it really isn't for you then your not stuck with no time to find a new job. But try this one because it could be the best decision you ever made. You have nothing to lose.
Pros
Great skill development, Positive, encouraging, competitive environment, travel opportunities, etc.
Cons
No free luches
great company
DIRECT SALES (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 5, 2016
amazing place to work make lots of money and meet good friends very competitive work place must like to play sports and enjoy the outside