Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

The job is great, the life still is a kicker
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2017
Working for Canadian Pacific Railway is a great job. The pros: Working with a great group of people, trains are awesome, and the job itself is great.

The lifestyle though is whats going to strain your relationships both romantic and friendships. You are on-call 24/7/365 no exceptions. Good luck getting a doctors appointment. Can you attend your own sons birthday...no idea. You might be called for a train.

You work all hours, day or night.
Pros
pay, benefits, work in a great industry
Cons
no schedule, long hours, work in any weather conditions (snow, rain, storm), can not commit to future appointments
A team that worked hard and created a highly efficient department
Intermodal Planner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2017
The intermodal department for which I worked went from being bloated and highly negative to a streamlined highly efficient group of hardworking individuals. Now they plan to move the department from Mississauga to Winnipeg for 'economies of scale'. Since most of us cannot move the new department will be made up of people who will be just as hard working but probably have very little vacation time and no defined benefits pensions. It was a good ride while it lasted.
fast paced work enviroment that challanged me daily.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere between Alberta and Ontario21 September 2016
The wok I did was always changing whether it be track maintenance or operating machines. The company itself was a good one to work for. great benefits and decent pay. I learned a lot about working with a team to get projects done more efficiently and how to make tough situations easier. The management with this company varied depending on the crew you were working for, which could have been a positive aspect or a negative.
Pros
Getting reinbursed for expenses
Cons
Constant change in shift time
Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
There a joke
Good worker (Former Employee) –  Canada16 November 2016
One of the worst places to work for !!!! A culture fear , its a great company to work for. the management is a joke. There more in to seeing how they can screw there employees over then getting the job done safely and efficiently
Pros
Good money, benefits
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2017
Great company, great benefits, awesome job. Moved to Edmonton for work. Passed all exams. Unfortunately it did not work out.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Working around the clock
so so
apprentice rail car mechanic (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK3 January 2017
as a rail car mechanic apprentice, the work is varied and can be indoor or outdoor. the coworkers and immediate supervisors are great and supportive. The upper management seems to want to reinvent the wheel at times which can be frustrating. That might be the hardest part of the job.

i quite enjoy the work and as long as you can follow the rules, life at the railroad can be comfortable.

apprentice wage rates are low but journeyman mechanics have a decent wage for the work. job security at the railroad is always a bit iffy.
Pros
varied work, great co-workers and supervisors, decent retirement plan
Cons
24/7-365 any weather, upper management can be frustrating
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Various17 July 2016
This company is very productive and can be challenging depending on your job description, I personally love working for the company and wish to stay with it for years to come.
Pros
Benefits and company pension
Cons
One of a few sweatshops in Canada
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
If you don't have a life outside of job, this place may be for you. A terrible management driving workers like slaves. Workplace so full of politics, that Parliament Hill has nothing on CP. I wouldn't advise to look for a position there now. Possibly when the CEO and CIO change you could reconsider.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work/life balance. Working extremely long hours under tremendous pressure.
Horrible Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta22 August 2016
I worked at CP before and after Hunter Harrison took over.
CP values money and ratios over people and safety.
Management is now interested in saving themselves.
People are encouraged to throw other people 'under the bus'
Many managers are required to work their day job plus train to be management conductors or engineers which is completely unsafe and takes free time away.
Union jobs have been taken away, reducing maintenance and safety.
The atmosphere has changed to one of fear and some antiquated rules around work hours, dress code, etc.
Unless you love the railway, I would not suggest working for CP.
Pros
Wide variety of projects
Cons
fear, corporate culture, brutal upper management
No Regard for the employees because it is run by Americans
TRAIN CONDUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 April 2016
It is run by Americans in Canadian soil so it is bad management, always laying off guys and doesn't care if you have a family or not. they will let you work past your shift and pressure you like donkey's.
Pros
very bad management
Cons
salary is good
insteresting place to work
Materials coordinator/SAP Planner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 May 2016
working with sap to update progress on train repairs and parts used, working in different buildings on site, going around to the different trains to talk to mechanics & electricians to see how things were progressing for our reports
Pros
interesting working with trains
Cons
no benefits
No work life balance but good Pay
Railway Conductor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2017
Management does not treat their employees fairly! Working hours are unpredictable and no time off work is granted. They will fire anyone for any reason. No Job security whatsoever!
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
No time away from work
A Unique Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada14 April 2016
You have to live and breathe the culture of being "railroaders" no matter what you were hired for. Compensation is good at the expense of work/life balance.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Poor career development, negative culture
Contracter
Carman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
people work as a team. Safety is always first in your job tasks .
Your job task can change in a minute to focus on the requirements
of the business .
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2015
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Pros
Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons
Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance
Productive business environment with great employees
Procurement Specialist US and CANADA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
Canadian Pacific was generally the best place to be employed. Over the years I have had numerous mentors and great co-workers who always helped each other out.
My fondest memory was learning about how the railway functioned and how materials improved or changed.
Although learning the particulars of the railway was not in my job description I was always eager to learn new things or help out a fellow coworker.
The most challenging part was when we had been in a hostile takeover by a US company. They have let go many great people who's lived for the Railway and would do anything for the company. Watching our company go from a family like atmosphere to one about money and the shareholders was hard to walk away from and will be truly missed but will only bring other great things in a new adventure.
I loved every aspect of my job, management and coworkers.
There truly is only warm memories from my last place of employment and am hoping to find another great company.
Pros
Great Volunteer Programs
Cons
Hostile takeover
good Canadian company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2016
good pay, good benefits and a good Canadian company. My father worked there for thirty six years I worked there for four and a half years. It's a good company but they almost killed me twice.
good salary
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 December 2016
uncertainty of job, layoffs
work outside in all weather conditions
good co workers and helpful
lots of travel.