CANADIAN PACIFIC

CANADIAN PACIFIC Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Full Time Job - Changing Business is a minor downside
Roadmaster Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Scarborough ontarioApril 16, 2014
Pros: great pay, expenses, benefits, pension
Cons: away from home the majority of the time
Great place to work however with all these changes being made it has become hard for everyone to stay positive. The culture is changing and many people have a hard time embracing change which results in a disorganised negative workplace. It is getting better and will continue to get better as these changes start to die down and they become a habit again.
Its a very loud rail yard that deals with container shipping.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 12, 2014
Pros: they fired the management who fired me!
Cons: i never got my job back
A good place to work. I want my job back• Equipment Operator / Container Handlers / Utility Ground man.
• Operating Toplift’s, RTG’s, Empty Handlers, and High-Rail Cranes, yard
vehicles
• Assisted in, and familiar with track operations, switching, coupling, and
uncoupling railcars
• Setting flags as well as setting up railcars for intermodal shipping
 – more... Operating Heavy Machinery (for container handling) such as: Toplift's;
Fantuzzi's; PPM's; P&H's; Empty Handler's; MiJack's
• Shipping and receiving, use of counter-balance, reach stackers, pump trucks and forklifts
• Assisted the operators in the loading and unloading of containers. Placement and removal of I.B.C’s, spacers, bolsters and 5th wheel hitches, as well as refrigerated and heated load inspection – less
Canaddian Pacific used to be a awesome emloyer!
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton ABApril 10, 2014
Pros: good pension plan
Cons: on call 24/7
Taking pride in a job well done and serving the customers.
Working 37 years safely then company policy changed with new management. I wanted to retire before something bad happened.
Challenging and rewarding opportunities.
General Manager, Marketing & Sales (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2014
Provides opportunities for exposure to a wide variety and industries.
Great People; Great place to work
Marketing/Pricing Analyst - Steel & Metals (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2014
- Great team of people. Excellent benefits. Office is located in Mississauga which is difficult to get to if you live downtown Toronto. Overall, very satisfied.
Hard working job with good benefits
FTO supervisor analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2014
Work hard receive lots of benefits, but always cya. People are great to work with. the hardest thing is the 24/7 schedule. But I really love working with the trains
Friendly productive and enjoyable workplace
Employee Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2014
CPR was a great place to work, the employees were friendly and outgoing. Management requires more consistency however most managers were professional. My most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with employees and their issues.
Sad Place since new Executives
Conductor (Former Employee), Revelstoke, BCFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: no schedule
Poor management, irregular hours, they work hard to train and qualify people, then go out of their way to punish and dismiss people after.
Fast paced and stressfull
Centralized Locomotive Support Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, employee share program
Cons: long hours, no work life balance
12hr days, at a desk on the phone and radio with train crews. Assisting operations by troubleshooting mechanical issues over the road to help keep trains moving. It is a faced paced, high intensity environment. Where critical decisions have to be made to ensure operational fluidity and plans are executed as precisely as possible.
The desk requires 24/7 – more... coverage and more often than not you are called in to work on your days off, furthermore, non-union employees do not receive overtime or lieu days for extra hours worked.
My particular department could be managed more effectively. There aren’t enough people to cover the desk, which requires those of us who are available, to work overtime with no compensation. Work/life balance is minimal at best.
Corporate environment is in a constant state of flux and extremely stressful. There isn't real succession planning and you can no longer apply for jobs that are available, making it difficult to map out your career. Your next career move is left to the employment center, which feels like its left entirely out of your hands and that your best interests are not necessarily taken into consideration.
The people in large part are very hardworking, dedicated, and loyal. I've made some lifelong friendships and for that I am grateful. However, it is no longer an enjoyable place to work and without the ability to plan my career I feel like I could be stuck in my current role indefinitely.
What I've learned from my current role is how to effectively deal with high pressure situations. How to multitask and use a number of different systems simultaneously to drive quick results. I have learned to deliver complicated mechanical information efficiently to ensure those receiving the information understand the issue.
More importantly, I've learned that in order to be happy and successful you need to be passionate about what you are doing. I want to be proud of the work I’m doing and always strive to improve.
. – less
Great pay, poor management
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2014
I loved working for CP because of the exciting dynamic with the positions they offer. The hours are long and pay is great but they still need to work on management.
always running to keep up !!
Supervisor TP&E BC District (Former Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: i would have to say that we made it safely through the day, season without the loss of a member of the crew, be it at work or traveling home, hard to comment on things you never really get and pay cheque's don't count
Cons: never good enough!! always threatened with cut backs job cuts if you don't do more with less
Although I spent many years with this company ,I found it very hard to plan with my family , except for AV ,any quality time .
I spent many hours at home doing work changing plans for work and in the end it cost my family and I years of lost time ending in divorces

Typical day!! was to plan to get through the day safely and hope that something wouldn't – more... break down and delay operations ,hoping that your guys where working safely watching each others backs.

making sure that parts and supplies where there should they be required checking on outstanding work orders training Operators and mechanics on what they need to know to keep the flow moving planning repairs shifting staff schedualing priority repairs .

I guess if I have to say anything Positive about this company it allowed me to learn and work with a great bunch of guys from other cultures , countries etc .
I was given the opportunity to really challenge myself both mentally , physically . I gained the skills that make me who I Have to be in order to compete In a rapidly changing fast paced world .

the toughest part of the job was being a husband to my wife , father to my children ,as I always was the job , trying to be the best provider showing that I always had to close the deal it was hard to always have to run to keep up .

I've been able to see most of Canada with my work, was always trusted to lead my team , and respected by most who trusted my work and felt safe letting me guide them in the tasks that where not always in the best interests of our safety but took the time to safeguard against possible dangers or death

In closing I always believe you have to finish what you start,
take pride in everything you do and do it well , give back wherever possible .

Management ??
there are good and bad in all, thank God we are all different . – less
NOT a good place to work anymore
analyst to manager...15+ yrs (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: too many to list
Since the introduction of a new CEO and senior level personnel, the company culture has changed to a very negative one.

Expecation to work or be available 24/7 have drastically reduced the concept of work/life balance.

The only benefit to employees of the head office move to the Ogden rail yard is free parking. Other than that, it created severe hardship – more... to get to work daily...adding at least 30 - 45 min to a 1 and a half hour commute.

Find a better place that promotes work life balance and cherishes and develops their employees. This company is all about the take and little about the give. – less
Forced discipline is mandatory
Former employee (Former Employee), Calgary,abJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: employees, benefits
Cons: senior management and overall environment
The employees are great and the pay is fair, The senior management however is activly looking and is in fact mandated to take a certain amount of displinary action.
This is a review about my experience at CP Rail
Rail Traffic Controller(logistics) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2013
Pros: pension, coworker adhesion
Cons: shift work, high stress.
A typical day as a Rail Traffic Controller begins with transferring from the employee before me, and then hitting the ground running. Trains have to keep moving and foremen need to get on the track at almost all times of the day. Each day comes with it new scenarios and a list of complex problems that need to be solved as safely and quickly as possible.

What – more... I learned most about the job is being able to really focus at a task at hand. It could cost someone their life if I'm not 100 percent focused on what I am doing.

Management has been great at times, and an adversary at others. They keep looking for ways to streamline efficiency and have implemented some good programs. And at other times, putting too much work on the shoulders of the employee.

My coworkers are great. They come to the job everyday knowing they might get their butt kicked but at the same time making a difference in the lives of the public by transporting their goods across the country.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the schedule. Work/sleep/work is a big part of the lifestyle and managing personal stress and exercise is key to being successful at the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the railway running smoothly. It is extremely difficult to get trains going smoothly, and when it happens it's an incredible feeling. – less
Internet access
AAR Accounting Service Representative (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: good company/benefits
Cons: repetitive tasks
Daily email and phone interactions. Daily communication with management and co-workers. Issuing invoices on a daily basis and dealing with customers regarding car repair billing.

Best part of the job is continous learning and dealing with different challenges on a daily basis.

Hardest part of the day is repetitive tasks at times.
Job Review
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 13, 2013
Mailroom position was pretty dry, the people upstairs don't have much sympathy for the fact the mailroom was a mess.
Incredibly comfortable job
Signal Maintainer, Mobile (Current Employee), Chapleau, ONOctober 27, 2013
Pros: extremely challenging environment
Cons: required driving in unsafe conditions
As a Signal Maintainer, my day to day work was always changing, I would be on call for over 400 miles of track for 11 days at a time. During a regular day I would conduct monthly, quarterly and yearly tests on equipment including public crossings, switch machines, electro-mechanical hardware and equipment. I was responsible for trouble-shooting, repair – more... and installations of multiple systems all mandated and considered safety sensitive by the Government. I was also in charge of project applications, big budget planning, stock and stores. I would operate track equipment and forklifts on a daily basis. The management was based on a internal application process, all managers we're first union members so they understood the day to day problems we would encounter, making them extremely professional and respectful. I had some of the best co-workers within any class 1 railroad, extremely friendly, helpful and supportive. The hardest part of my job was the long calls far in the wilderness with little to no communication besides central dispatch. The most enjoyable part of the job was the self management and responsibilities I had as a mobile maintainer. – less
Good environment
Bilingual Reservation Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioOctober 4, 2013
Worked for a short period of time, but overall good experience
Why work CP when you have other choices
Long time worker (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 27, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: head office in ogden, benefits, culture
I have been employed for over 37 years. Let me be honest...This is still an old Boy's Club culture. If you are not part of the club, there is no advancement. Even if you have a degree or show how passionate you are about the company. If you are not a friend or family member, forget it. You will be stuck on the same job for 20 years. They don't offer – more... flex days anymore, while most big box companies in Calgary offer them. No more pension DB pension plan. Taking away telecommuting. Performance Management Plan is very subjective and not based on true performance. The new moto is "if you can't work long hours, get out!". Unless you are desperate for a job, don't venture this way. – less
Productive/flexible/fun work environment
Executive Assistant to VP Operations Planning (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: great boss and co-workers, flexibility work/life balance
Cons: i have nothing negative to say about cpr
Working as an Executive Assistant in the VP area has to be my most favourite company I have ever worked for. A typical day would start with checking my bosses calendar and advise him of his schedule for the day. Running reports to submit nationally across Canada on a daily basis. Processing expense reports on a monthly basis. Made travel & Hotel as – more... well as transportation arrangements for all business trips. I learned so much about the transportation industry and what is entailed to transport cargo from one destination to another. My boss was trusting and flexible in regards to work/life balance. I would often help other Executive Assistants if needed or in one case completely took over the EA to VP of Field Operations in her absence. Because I worked for an AVP in the Operations department I was to use discretion in regards to any confidential matters. The hardest part of the job was having to leave as a result of downsizing. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About CANADIAN PACIFIC

With operations stretching from Vancouver to New York, Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) hauls freight over about a 15,000-mile network – Read more

CANADIAN PACIFIC Photos