Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
fast paced work enviroment that challanged me daily.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere between Alberta and Ontario21 September 2016
The wok I did was always changing whether it be track maintenance or operating machines. The company itself was a good one to work for. great benefits and decent pay. I learned a lot about working with a team to get projects done more efficiently and how to make tough situations easier. The management with this company varied depending on the crew you were working for, which could have been a positive aspect or a negative.
Pros
Getting reinbursed for expenses
Cons
Constant change in shift time
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
There a joke
Good worker (Former Employee) –  Canada16 November 2016
One of the worst places to work for !!!! A culture fear , its a great company to work for. the management is a joke. There more in to seeing how they can screw there employees over then getting the job done safely and efficiently
Pros
Good money, benefits
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Various17 July 2016
This company is very productive and can be challenging depending on your job description, I personally love working for the company and wish to stay with it for years to come.
Pros
Benefits and company pension
Cons
One of a few sweatshops in Canada
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
If you don't have a life outside of job, this place may be for you. A terrible management driving workers like slaves. Workplace so full of politics, that Parliament Hill has nothing on CP. I wouldn't advise to look for a position there now. Possibly when the CEO and CIO change you could reconsider.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work/life balance. Working extremely long hours under tremendous pressure.
No Regard for the employees because it is run by Americans
TRAIN CONDUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 April 2016
It is run by Americans in Canadian soil so it is bad management, always laying off guys and doesn't care if you have a family or not. they will let you work past your shift and pressure you like donkey's.
Pros
very bad management
Cons
salary is good
insteresting place to work
Materials coordinator/SAP Planner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 May 2016
working with sap to update progress on train repairs and parts used, working in different buildings on site, going around to the different trains to talk to mechanics & electricians to see how things were progressing for our reports
Pros
interesting working with trains
Cons
no benefits
A Unique Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada14 April 2016
You have to live and breathe the culture of being "railroaders" no matter what you were hired for. Compensation is good at the expense of work/life balance.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Poor career development, negative culture
Contracter
Carman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
people work as a team. Safety is always first in your job tasks .
Your job task can change in a minute to focus on the requirements
of the business .
Pros
Benifits and pay
Horrible Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta22 August 2016
I worked at CP before and after Hunter Harrison took over.
CP values money and ratios over people and safety.
Management is now interested in saving themselves.
People are encouraged to throw other people 'under the bus'
Many managers are required to work their day job plus train to be management conductors or engineers which is completely unsafe and takes free time away.
Union jobs have been taken away, reducing maintenance and safety.
The atmosphere has changed to one of fear and some antiquated rules around work hours, dress code, etc.
Unless you love the railway, I would not suggest working for CP.
Pros
Wide variety of projects
Cons
fear, corporate culture, brutal upper management
Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2015
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Pros
Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons
Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance
good Canadian company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2016
good pay, good benefits and a good Canadian company. My father worked there for thirty six years I worked there for four and a half years. It's a good company but they almost killed me twice.
Productive business environment with great employees
Procurement Specialist US and CANADA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
Canadian Pacific was generally the best place to be employed. Over the years I have had numerous mentors and great co-workers who always helped each other out.
My fondest memory was learning about how the railway functioned and how materials improved or changed.
Although learning the particulars of the railway was not in my job description I was always eager to learn new things or help out a fellow coworker.
The most challenging part was when we had been in a hostile takeover by a US company. They have let go many great people who's lived for the Railway and would do anything for the company. Watching our company go from a family like atmosphere to one about money and the shareholders was hard to walk away from and will be truly missed but will only bring other great things in a new adventure.
I loved every aspect of my job, management and coworkers.
There truly is only warm memories from my last place of employment and am hoping to find another great company.
Pros
Great Volunteer Programs
Cons
Hostile takeover
Unique environment to work with
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2016
I had been working at CP as a contractor for almost 10 years and my contract was ended when the IT department was outsourced to India. Now I heard the IT work started to get re-insourced back again. Would like to see how things are turning out now. However CP was a great and unique environment to work with especially in this Oil & Gas dominated city.
Pros
Not Oil & Gas related industry; great management
Cons
Long commute from NW quadrant of the city
Decent workplace to make good money. employees are mostly friendly and reliable.
Track Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC18 October 2016
Good mix of work and rest. Physical labour.
Learn lots about railway systems and what goes into running them.
Management was decent for the most part.
Co-Workers were mixed good and bad.
Not a nice environment
Railway Conductor (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BC5 June 2016
Not a good environment. Worst decision I ever made was applying for the conductor position in Revelstoke. Been wanting to quit for a while but I need something to pay the bills.
Management is constantly trying to find you breaking a rule and if they find you doing something slightly out of line they suspend you for a week or 30 days sometimes. They have to get a certain amount of "fails" every month on these proficiency tests so they purposely set people up so that they "fail" and sometimes get suspensions from it too. I think I'm just not going to show up to work anymore.
Good shift work in maintenance and crew to work with.
Electrician-Maintenance/Forman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2016
Many years working in different aspects of the electrical trade. I was given lots of opportunity to work on different projects to keep machinery operational from large overhead cranes to small auto welding machines. It was disappointing to have to leave when the railway needed to modify it's opperations.
Pros
Good experience with lots of different types of work.
Cons
Big company lots of changes over time.
High stress with minimum regard for safety or well being
Train Conductor and Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2016
Worked for 5 years and seen a lot of things change within that time period.
At first safety was priority , however after new management that was rescinded to productivity before safety.
Week to week schedule, or on call 24/7 with a 2 hour window to report to duty.
High stress while working, crews are spied on from bushes by managers.
Pros
Union, Pension
Cons
No time off, lack of schedule
not recommended
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 September 2016
Not that great of place youre always on call and dont get treated well the good things are you get to travel on trains and see the country but youre not home as much as you'd wish to be
Pros
you get to ride on trains

2.6