Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews in Canada

in 37 years of employment, it had its ups and downs
Engine Attendant (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 10, 2016
In 37 years of service at CP. Rail, I have enjoyed working in different capacities and different jobs. Typical work days varied from day to day, some days more challenging then others.i have learned to work with people and by myself quite efficiently. learned how to complete a task on time most of the time. The hardest part of the job was shift work. Most of my co-workers were great to work with and I"ve made lifelong friends. The managment for the most part were pleasure to work for.
Pros
various training, like WHIMIS, Safety, etc.
Cons
Shift work
High stress with minimum regard for safety or well being
Train Conductor and Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
Worked for 5 years and seen a lot of things change within that time period.
At first safety was priority , however after new management that was rescinded to productivity before safety.
Week to week schedule, or on call 24/7 with a 2 hour window to report to duty.
High stress while working, crews are spied on from bushes by managers.
Pros
Union, Pension
Cons
No time off, lack of schedule
Not a nice environment
Railway Conductor (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJune 5, 2016
Not a good environment. Worst decision I ever made was applying for the conductor position in Revelstoke. Been wanting to quit for a while but I need something to pay the bills.
Management is constantly trying to find you breaking a rule and if they find you doing something slightly out of line they suspend you for a week or 30 days sometimes. They have to get a certain amount of "fails" every month on these proficiency tests so they purposely set people up so that they "fail" and sometimes get suspensions from it too. I think I'm just not going to show up to work anymore.
You can do better !!!!!!!
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 2, 2016
Really disapointed that CP was not a good place to work. It was very close to home and seems to have a reasonable rate of pay etc etc I did my best to be professional and learn the job. The company is full of doom and gloom which you get hammered into you from the very start of the orientation. I managed to stick it out until the end of my 3 month probation before moving on. Realizing that ANYTHING would be better than WASTING YOUR LIFE in a position like that. Incredibly sad to see people so unhappy for so many years desperately waiting until retirement age with the false hope of starting thier dream life.at 65
Pros
Learning about the railroad industry (and outsourcing to outside contractors)
Cons
Hazardous Physically and Chemically
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
a place to learn new skills
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Northern OntarioMarch 7, 2016
A typical day at work starts with a job briefing and stretch and flex then a machine warm up followed by travel to the work location to commence work. .Managament is usually pretty easy going but to the point about the task at hand and always willing to give guidance. the hardest part of the job is dealing with co-workers who don't want to pull there weight. The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the outdoors.
insteresting place to work
Materials coordinator/SAP Planner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2016
working with sap to update progress on train repairs and parts used, working in different buildings on site, going around to the different trains to talk to mechanics & electricians to see how things were progressing for our reports
Pros
interesting working with trains
Cons
no benefits
It is a good company with a lot of new technology to work with.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
CP has taken a lot of new and out of box initiatives and it was very nice working on these initiatives. The team is very nice and supportive.
CP provides free parking and employee get-together and it is a very nice experience working with CP.
Conductor Job review
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 10, 2016
Secure job, very enjoyable job while at work, a lot of time spent away from home. A very unstable job schedule and very little work rest rules and time away from the job i.e holidays and time off. Very hard schedule to get use to.
Pros
income is great
Cons
schedule is on call work based day on day off schedule
No Regard for the employees because it is run by Americans
TRAIN CONDUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
It is run by Americans in Canadian soil so it is bad management, always laying off guys and doesn't care if you have a family or not. they will let you work past your shift and pressure you like donkey's.
Pros
very bad management
Cons
salary is good
no life good pay bad management
conductor (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKMay 28, 2016
bad place to work,managers are horrible.expected to be productive while following there non productive safety procedures that sometimes can make absolutely no sense.harassed and interrogated when you don't complete your work.
great self motivative job
Conductor {retired} (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCJanuary 10, 2016
I loved the different locations I went too, every day had different challenges to deal with, working with health & safety, as well as a trainer for new hirers I learned to communicate a better with management and co-workers. the hours was the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with management and co-workers
Pros
traveling, working outdoors
Cons
very long hours
Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  VariousJuly 17, 2016
This company is very productive and can be challenging depending on your job description, I personally love working for the company and wish to stay with it for years to come.
Pros
Benefits and company pension
Dynamic and Challenging work environmnt
National Account Manager - International Sales (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 7, 2016
I have been very fortunate to have worked for Canadian Pacific for many years. I have experienced a rich and rewarding career that has exceeded my expectations.
Great Place to work
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Very fun place to work. Great people and a very good company to work for. Growing company with a ton of upside. People work very hard and are dedicated on making a difference in a positive way.
A Unique Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  CanadaApril 14, 2016
You have to live and breathe the culture of being "railroaders" no matter what you were hired for. Compensation is good at the expense of work/life balance.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Poor career development, negative culture
good Canadian company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
good pay, good benefits and a good Canadian company. My father worked there for thirty six years I worked there for four and a half years. It's a good company but they almost killed me twice.
Contracter
Carman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
people work as a team. Safety is always first in your job tasks .
Your job task can change in a minute to focus on the requirements
of the business .
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2015
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Pros
Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons
Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance

2.6