Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

fast paced work enviroment that challanged me daily.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere between Alberta and OntarioSeptember 21, 2016
The wok I did was always changing whether it be track maintenance or operating machines. The company itself was a good one to work for. great benefits and decent pay. I learned a lot about working with a team to get projects done more efficiently and how to make tough situations easier. The management with this company varied depending on the crew you were working for, which could have been a positive aspect or a negative.
Pros
Getting reinbursed for expenses
Cons
Constant change in shift time
Productive business environment with great employees
Procurement Specialist US and CANADA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2016
Canadian Pacific was generally the best place to be employed. Over the years I have had numerous mentors and great co-workers who always helped each other out.
My fondest memory was learning about how the railway functioned and how materials improved or changed.
Although learning the particulars of the railway was not in my job description I was always eager to learn new things or help out a fellow coworker.
The most challenging part was when we had been in a hostile takeover by a US company. They have let go many great people who's lived for the Railway and would do anything for the company. Watching our company go from a family like atmosphere to one about money and the shareholders was hard to walk away from and will be truly missed but will only bring other great things in a new adventure.
I loved every aspect of my job, management and coworkers.
There truly is only warm memories from my last place of employment and am hoping to find another great company.
Pros
Great Volunteer Programs
Cons
Hostile takeover
Unique environment to work with
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2016
I had been working at CP as a contractor for almost 10 years and my contract was ended when the IT department was outsourced to India. Now I heard the IT work started to get re-insourced back again. Would like to see how things are turning out now. However CP was a great and unique environment to work with especially in this Oil & Gas dominated city.
Pros
Not Oil & Gas related industry; great management
Cons
Long commute from NW quadrant of the city
Productive and keen to have employees acquire new skills
Supervisor/Dispatch planner (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Safety comes first. Well oiled and organized company. Seniors on the job are willing to help and make sure the juniors are acquiring the needed skills to perform their job properly.
not recommended
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 7, 2016
Not that great of place youre always on call and dont get treated well the good things are you get to travel on trains and see the country but youre not home as much as you'd wish to be
Pros
you get to ride on trains
Horrible Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaAugust 22, 2016
I worked at CP before and after Hunter Harrison took over.
CP values money and ratios over people and safety.
Management is now interested in saving themselves.
People are encouraged to throw other people 'under the bus'
Many managers are required to work their day job plus train to be management conductors or engineers which is completely unsafe and takes free time away.
Union jobs have been taken away, reducing maintenance and safety.
The atmosphere has changed to one of fear and some antiquated rules around work hours, dress code, etc.
Unless you love the railway, I would not suggest working for CP.
Pros
Wide variety of projects
Cons
fear, corporate culture, brutal upper management
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  VariousJuly 17, 2016
This company is very productive and can be challenging depending on your job description, I personally love working for the company and wish to stay with it for years to come.
Pros
Benefits and company pension
in 37 years of employment, it had its ups and downs
Engine Attendant (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 10, 2016
In 37 years of service at CP. Rail, I have enjoyed working in different capacities and different jobs. Typical work days varied from day to day, some days more challenging then others.i have learned to work with people and by myself quite efficiently. learned how to complete a task on time most of the time. The hardest part of the job was shift work. Most of my co-workers were great to work with and I"ve made lifelong friends. The managment for the most part were pleasure to work for.
Pros
various training, like WHIMIS, Safety, etc.
Cons
Shift work
High stress with minimum regard for safety or well being
Train Conductor and Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
Worked for 5 years and seen a lot of things change within that time period.
At first safety was priority , however after new management that was rescinded to productivity before safety.
Week to week schedule, or on call 24/7 with a 2 hour window to report to duty.
High stress while working, crews are spied on from bushes by managers.
Pros
Union, Pension
Cons
No time off, lack of schedule
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
It is a good company with a lot of new technology to work with.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
CP has taken a lot of new and out of box initiatives and it was very nice working on these initiatives. The team is very nice and supportive.
CP provides free parking and employee get-together and it is a very nice experience working with CP.
Not a nice environment
Railway Conductor (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJune 5, 2016
Not a good environment. Worst decision I ever made was applying for the conductor position in Revelstoke. Been wanting to quit for a while but I need something to pay the bills.
Management is constantly trying to find you breaking a rule and if they find you doing something slightly out of line they suspend you for a week or 30 days sometimes. They have to get a certain amount of "fails" every month on these proficiency tests so they purposely set people up so that they "fail" and sometimes get suspensions from it too. I think I'm just not going to show up to work anymore.
no life good pay bad management
conductor (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKMay 28, 2016
bad place to work,managers are horrible.expected to be productive while following there non productive safety procedures that sometimes can make absolutely no sense.harassed and interrogated when you don't complete your work.
Great Place to work
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Very fun place to work. Great people and a very good company to work for. Growing company with a ton of upside. People work very hard and are dedicated on making a difference in a positive way.
insteresting place to work
Materials coordinator/SAP Planner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2016
working with sap to update progress on train repairs and parts used, working in different buildings on site, going around to the different trains to talk to mechanics & electricians to see how things were progressing for our reports
Pros
interesting working with trains
Cons
no benefits
Conductor Job review
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 10, 2016
Secure job, very enjoyable job while at work, a lot of time spent away from home. A very unstable job schedule and very little work rest rules and time away from the job i.e holidays and time off. Very hard schedule to get use to.
Pros
income is great
Cons
schedule is on call work based day on day off schedule
Contracter
Carman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
people work as a team. Safety is always first in your job tasks .
Your job task can change in a minute to focus on the requirements
of the business .
Pros
Benifits and pay
Cons
You can do better !!!!!!!
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 2, 2016
Really disapointed that CP was not a good place to work. It was very close to home and seems to have a reasonable rate of pay etc etc I did my best to be professional and learn the job. The company is full of doom and gloom which you get hammered into you from the very start of the orientation. I managed to stick it out until the end of my 3 month probation before moving on. Realizing that ANYTHING would be better than WASTING YOUR LIFE in a position like that. Incredibly sad to see people so unhappy for so many years desperately waiting until retirement age with the false hope of starting thier dream life.at 65
Pros
Learning about the railroad industry (and outsourcing to outside contractors)
Cons
Hazardous Physically and Chemically
Fun Place
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 30, 2016
Get to work outdoors and in different yards. We always get to work with different people as well. Fun place to work. Good hours and wage.

2.6