Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

good company
Certified Locomotive Engineer/Ground person. (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 June 2017
great pay and benefits great retirement plan all work is seniority based as they are unionised teamsters all work is shift work if you are new you are on nights you get trained on all equipment which is great
Pros
pay
Cons
shift work
Good company
Signals and Communications Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON5 June 2017
My experience at CP was great, lots of room for advancement and competitive salary.

I always felt supported and that there was people to confirm your issues.
Pros
Compensation, allowances
Cons
Work life balance could be difficult
Liked the company. Disallusioned by the union
Chief Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
The people I worked with were easy going and supportive. We dealt with both executives and people outside of the company.

I felt they where making interesting decisions about where to take the company. If there was an opening closer than Calgary I would definitely look into it.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Union looks after itself
Not family friendly
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 May 2017
No time to have a family with this company, money is great but you canot have a life. No more movie watching. Little to no sleep and the pressure it puts on your family is rough
Pros
Money
Cons
Family would miss you
over worked
ATM at CP Rail (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2017
general hours were between 14-16 per day, no training on my job holidays canceled, required to work from home, all of this would of been no issue if the hard work put in was recognized by the company, no respect and always talked down to as for the lack of man power I did 3 peoples jobs in 1 day and was never told one time your doing a good job for having zero training. From what iv`e learned on my own and obtaining a conductor qualification through this process showed my drive to succeed within the company.
great to work for
Railcar Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 May 2017
i worked in Woodstock,Ontario where we fixed and restocked Bi-Level train cars, great bunch of guys to work with,only bad part was i was laid off for 4 years so i had moved on by then
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
location and laid off
High wages, IT is valued, very demanding.
IT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
Worked here for a couple years, and was given ample opportunities to succeed in my job. Unfortunately despite the success and commendations I recieved, I remained stuck in the same position for my entire tenure with the company.

The wages are very high for the jobs, but they are extremely demanding and can be very high stress. There isn't a lot of work/life balance to be had here. In fact I watched the company chew up several people who went from young and happy, to old, bitter and complaining about their marriages, over the course of only 6 months.

The perks and compensation are great, huge discounts at many businesses all over the city, great rrsp, stock options, healthcare, etc. it's the full package.

My advice? Get in, make some money, get out before it crushes you.
Pros
fast paced, great wages, great benefits, great experience
Cons
ultra demanding, will chew you up and spit you out out.
fun working
payroll clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2017
I have working in this place
it is the best place I have ever worked for!!!
We always have fun and no stress!
I worked shift work and had amazing team to work with.
Pros
fun, great team, best bosses
Cons
lay offs
Different from terminal to terminal.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 April 2017
I've worked in Calgary, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and Edmonton. The work stays the same typically from one to the other but management can go from good to bad really fast. You are looking at anywhere from an 8 to 10 hour shift in the yard or on a switcher but there are occasionally 12 hour shifts depending on the situation. The work itself can be enjoyable but can get extremely stressful when managers are out hiding and looking for things to fail you on. Whether they were right or wrong in their observation doesn't matter in many cases as they wind up just being numbers in the end. On the spareboard, you are on call 24/7 and can wind up working a lot or very little based on how busy it is and how much rest you book. If you can hold a job, you will at least keep a consistent schedule unless it's on the road instead of the yard. Pay varies from one job type to another since their are claims and bonuses associated with each.

The best part of the job has got to be the people you work with normally and as long as you go out there and do your job safely and properly, everyone has each others back out there. It's a very tight knit group that's unionized and word gets around very fast about anything that happens. The pay is very good for what you do compared to other jobs of similar salary.
Pros
Good pay for what you do.
Cons
Management. Work in all weather, 24/7.
Intermodal Gate Inspector (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON25 March 2017
good pay, good benefits, good union.

cp creates a fulfillment of security in your everyday lifestyle, but it comes with a price of being a on call employee for atlas 5-12 years before owning a shift due to seniority reasons. you really create a bond with your job when working at cp rail
Need to be a special breed to make a career at CP
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 March 2017
Very poor work/life balance in the engineering group. You can get sent anywhere across the system at any time with minimal notice. Lots of opportunity for growth and advancement, but you need to be the right person for this type of job. Lots of time spent on the road. Very volatile workplace as well. Constant concerns about job reduction and regular re-organizations eliminate several positions every year. The best part of working at CP was the variety of work that you got to take on, and being outdoors more often than not.
Pros
Great pay, rewarded for hard work
Cons
On-call 24/7, constant weekend work, live on the road
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON15 March 2017
Compensation and benefits were great. Extensive layoff's. Hostile work environment. 3/4 of the year on the road. Loved the work of the job, the politics not so much.
Overall Good Job
Conductor/Yard Foreman/Yard Helper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2017
Learned a lot about rail transportation and safety. Learned a lot on how to manage a crew efficiently and safely in hazardous environment's. Good opportunity to advance my knowledge.
Horrible moral
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 February 2017
Company is more based on trying to get people fired than trying to build a business. Using management to perform unionized work so that employees can be laid off
Pros
Money
Cons
Amount of unpaid hours
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
Enjoyed working in a shop environment. Was given the responsibility of changing plant layouts for various repair functions. Was also given an opportunity to be part of a Business Application Team defining business requirements for the initial SAP implementation.
Pros
At the end of the day you could see the progress of the locomotive and car overhaul program.
Cons
No really great cons to this company
Job Security and Good Paying
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Ontario12 February 2017
Its a hard working job that demands a lot of hours but it pays generously and the benefits are great. Jobs are safe however there are lay-offs for newer employees.
A great place to work for
Application Developer .NET / Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
I loved working with CP as an Software developer/ support. They have a complicated system which makes it fun to troubleshoot.
manager and teams were great people.
Pros
great teams
Cons
over time working hours
A typical work day
Shop planner (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 February 2017
head to work get my work boots on and work on locomotive for 8 hours then head home benefits are great and pay is great always go to work with a smile on my face and leave with a bigger one
Pros
good pay
Cons
other workers that complain
Great workplace!
Dispatch Planner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 February 2017
It was a pleasure working at CP Railway for 17 plus years. I had the opportunity to work at various positions within the company. I learned a lot about the the intermodal and transportation industry.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Relocation
Great skills Learned
Investigative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
I have been able to work on a few different teams and many groups and environments and have grown immensely thanks to Canadian Pacific.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7