Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

Glad to have made it to retirement
Trainman/Yardman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2017
If you can handle being on call 24/7, working weekends (almost always) away from home for two or more days at a time, never knowing when you'll actually be required to work nor when you'll return home, an 1800's southern plantation mindset of management, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Pays well, benefits and a pension.
Cons
Read the review
Interesting work in a fear-based culture
Information Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2017
Management based on carrot and stick mentality. Mostly the stick.

Non-union employees are required to participate in the management conductor/engineer program which means they have to be on call to go anywhere at any time to run trains regardless of whether that is their desired career.
Pros
Interesting technical work
Cons
Poor management, work/life balance not supported
Closed case
Track Maintenance Foreman (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 October 2017
Great company, good conditions, aiming towards employee safety. Great at following change of tides, always adapting to the market. Great consideration for customers.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No sick days.
Fast paced work environment
Track Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan11 October 2017
Diverse workplace. I worked on the road so there was always a change in scenery. Great working atmosphere, got along with all my cooworkers and supervisors. Great place to work
Pros
Always a new opportunity for advancement
Cons
On the road
overall good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 October 2017
fun place to work, enjoy all other workers, management can be difficult at most times, in shop drama is brutal, but all and all a decent place to work and great wage and benifits
Canadian Pacific
Locomotive Diesel and Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 September 2017
Had a very good working experience at CP both as a mechanic and a production supervisor. I was trained to embrace the role of high management to mentor and educate craft personnel to understand the importance of a quality product to keep all revenue in flow
Not family friendly
Track Maintainer (Former Employee) –  British Columbia23 September 2017
My family worked for this company for generations. Supported us well. But, management could care less about their employees! It's hardest to be a woman who would like to have children one day, as yiu won't be able to see them.
Pros
Good pay, good pension
Cons
Terrible family life
very responsible job.
Rail car mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
very good job ,lot of responsibility for the safety of the public, but very difficult for family life because of 24 hour operation. Job at cp rail is very diversified ,many different jobs under the rail car mechanic.
Pros
very good pension plan
Cons
very dificult for a family life becuase of shift work
Avoid if you can!!
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2017
Thought I was getting into a great life long career here as a conductor turned out I stepped into a nightmare from h***. Training is almost non existent and well below where it should be. Once qualified you can look forward to having no life, being on call 24/7, working with an eye over your shoulder looking for management who live to fail and suspend you for breaking rules that make no sense. Working with substandard and poorly maintained equipment while being harassed constantly by management to hurry up and get things done. No care for safety or anything else unless they can hang you on it. Over all a horrible company and I'm currently looking elsewhere. Pay is okay but so not worth the constant stress and horrible life style. If you wish to feel like a company owns you and you like them taking every opportunity to prove that to you. Than look no further CP is the place for you. If not, spare yourself the stress and don't let your home life suffer.
Pros
Unique fun job
Cons
Everything else
Answering Calls / Placing Calls / Email a Must
Service Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2017
Answering between 40-60 calls daily from troubleshooting cell phones/laptops to password resets and "how do i" questions.

Also placing calls and replying to emails. It was a fast paced environment as the company has around 9000 employees and over 10000 pensioners. Overall the best skill to have working for CP is multi-tasking.
Pros
Great salary and benefit package
Cons
12-14 hour shifts
Used to bo 5*
Knowledge and System Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2017
CP Use to be a 5 stars workplace.
The Job culture was fantastic, you could start as a mailroom boy and rise to an executive position because the quality of life at Canadian Pacific Rail would motivate you to stay and grow with the company.
But the last 2 years since the new CEO took over with the American mentality, All Canadian values went out the window.
Pros
salary
Cons
quality of life
Signals and communications Wireman/Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
The disadvantage of working for this company is that I have to travel away from home and family. The employers management and team
are great to work for.
not a good place to work if you have a family
Railcar Mechanic and Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2017
I really enjoyed my time a CP until the Hunter and Creel came into play. I enjoyed the employees I worked with and the things that CP taught me

but the long hours the short staffing and high turnover of managers because they have morals and the constant if you don't come in your fired that is on the managers side of things.

on the union side the union will protect you when it benefits them.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
very bad company to work for
good company
Certified Locomotive Engineer/Ground person. (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 June 2017
great pay and benefits great retirement plan all work is seniority based as they are unionised teamsters all work is shift work if you are new you are on nights you get trained on all equipment which is great
Pros
pay
Cons
shift work
Good company
Signals and Communications Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON5 June 2017
My experience at CP was great, lots of room for advancement and competitive salary.

I always felt supported and that there was people to confirm your issues.
Pros
Compensation, allowances
Cons
Work life balance could be difficult
Liked the company. Disallusioned by the union
Chief Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2017
The people I worked with were easy going and supportive. We dealt with both executives and people outside of the company.

I felt they where making interesting decisions about where to take the company. If there was an opening closer than Calgary I would definitely look into it.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Union looks after itself
Not family friendly
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 May 2017
No time to have a family with this company, money is great but you canot have a life. No more movie watching. Little to no sleep and the pressure it puts on your family is rough
Pros
Money
Cons
Family would miss you
over worked
ATM at CP Rail (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2017
general hours were between 14-16 per day, no training on my job holidays canceled, required to work from home, all of this would of been no issue if the hard work put in was recognized by the company, no respect and always talked down to as for the lack of man power I did 3 peoples jobs in 1 day and was never told one time your doing a good job for having zero training. From what iv`e learned on my own and obtaining a conductor qualification through this process showed my drive to succeed within the company.
great to work for
Railcar Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 May 2017
i worked in Woodstock,Ontario where we fixed and restocked Bi-Level train cars, great bunch of guys to work with,only bad part was i was laid off for 4 years so i had moved on by then
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
location and laid off
High wages, IT is valued, very demanding.
IT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
Worked here for a couple years, and was given ample opportunities to succeed in my job. Unfortunately despite the success and commendations I recieved, I remained stuck in the same position for my entire tenure with the company.

The wages are very high for the jobs, but they are extremely demanding and can be very high stress. There isn't a lot of work/life balance to be had here. In fact I watched the company chew up several people who went from young and happy, to old, bitter and complaining about their marriages, over the course of only 6 months.

The perks and compensation are great, huge discounts at many businesses all over the city, great rrsp, stock options, healthcare, etc. it's the full package.

My advice? Get in, make some money, get out before it crushes you.
Pros
fast paced, great wages, great benefits, great experience
Cons
ultra demanding, will chew you up and spit you out out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7