CANADIAN PACIFIC

CANADIAN PACIFIC Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and efficient work place
Crane operator (Former Employee), Montreal, QcAugust 19, 2014
A typical day would consist of loading and unloading of trains. All while serving outside truck drivers there respective containers. During this time I have learned how to use multiple computer applications, trouble shooting, and time management skills. The hardest part of the job was the balancing of making sure trains met their deadline while also – more... catering to outside truck drivers in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a job well done and all facets of the job moving like clockwork. – less
Company on the turnaround
Account Manager - Sulphur (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good pay, company on the cusp of becoming industry leader
Cons: employee turnover, workload, office location
Canadian Pacific continues their transition to the most efficient rail network in north america. The company has become very profitable and delivered record after record.

Frustrations around employee turnover, workload and office location. Vacation time is not on par with oil and gas.
Productive place to work
Operational Profitability Performance Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 14, 2014
A great place to learn about the transportation industry
Hardest part is connecting with cross functional teams
Learned about full circle logistics, design, operations.
Solid company
Finance - Internal Costing Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 28, 2014
I have enjoyed my career with CP. The benefits were okay not like oil & gas but they were reasonable. The only reason I quit CP was because they were moving away from downtown core and I really enjoy working downtown
good place
Railcar Mechanic Trainee (Former Employee), cambridge,onJune 24, 2014
-repairing railcars
-welding
-worked with a great bunch of guys
-good place too work
steady work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJune 4, 2014
very simple job with not much room for advancement which I'm looking for
CP
HR, EFAP – Referral Agent (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2014
Wonderful place to work for with great management; The best part of my job is helping other be sucessful in every area of their lives.
productive and difficult
Train conductor (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMay 6, 2014
the day starts with you reading and familiarizing your self with new daily operating bulletins. these are documents that consist of rule and procedure changes that effect your job.

at the beginning of your shift there is a daily job briefing with your crew and manager.
once this is completed you go outside to your assigned locomotive
and begin to work. – more... your building out bound trains using a switch list given to you by your "yard coordinator " you work in a team of 3 ( Forman, break man and locomotive engineer )

your working out side in all weather conditions, your concentration and job focus is paramount because a error can result in a serious accident which can lead to a fatality. your expected to work weekends and holidays.

if your work a spare board, you have 2 hours to report for duty from the time the calling desk calls you.

despite all of this its makes all better when your working with a good bunch of guys.

in the end the job has its good moments but ultimately it puts a very heavy strain on your personal life. – less
ALWAYS A GOOD DAY
FOREMAN/LEADING TRACK MAINTAINER (Current Employee), HAMILTON, ONTARIO CANADAApril 18, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: short lunch breaks
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS EVER CHANGING AND IF CHANGE ISN'T FOR YOU IT PROBABLY ISN'T THE PLACE TO WORK.
Great Full Time Job - Changing Business is a minor downside
Roadmaster Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Scarborough ontarioApril 16, 2014
Pros: great pay, expenses, benefits, pension
Cons: away from home the majority of the time
Great place to work however with all these changes being made it has become hard for everyone to stay positive. The culture is changing and many people have a hard time embracing change which results in a disorganised negative workplace. It is getting better and will continue to get better as these changes start to die down and they become a habit again.
Canaddian Pacific used to be a awesome emloyer!
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton ABApril 10, 2014
Pros: good pension plan
Cons: on call 24/7
Taking pride in a job well done and serving the customers.
Working 37 years safely then company policy changed with new management. I wanted to retire before something bad happened.
Challenging and rewarding opportunities.
General Manager, Marketing & Sales (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2014
Provides opportunities for exposure to a wide variety and industries.
Great People; Great place to work
Marketing/Pricing Analyst - Steel & Metals (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2014
- Great team of people. Excellent benefits. Office is located in Mississauga which is difficult to get to if you live downtown Toronto. Overall, very satisfied.
Hard working job with good benefits
FTO supervisor analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2014
Work hard receive lots of benefits, but always cya. People are great to work with. the hardest thing is the 24/7 schedule. But I really love working with the trains
Friendly productive and enjoyable workplace
Employee Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2014
CPR was a great place to work, the employees were friendly and outgoing. Management requires more consistency however most managers were professional. My most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with employees and their issues.
Sad Place since new Executives
Conductor (Former Employee), Revelstoke, BCFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: no schedule
Poor management, irregular hours, they work hard to train and qualify people, then go out of their way to punish and dismiss people after.
Fast paced and stressfull
Centralized Locomotive Support Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: benefits, employee share program
Cons: long hours, no work life balance
12hr days, at a desk on the phone and radio with train crews. Assisting operations by troubleshooting mechanical issues over the road to help keep trains moving. It is a faced paced, high intensity environment. Where critical decisions have to be made to ensure operational fluidity and plans are executed as precisely as possible.
The desk requires 24/7 – more... coverage and more often than not you are called in to work on your days off, furthermore, non-union employees do not receive overtime or lieu days for extra hours worked.
My particular department could be managed more effectively. There aren’t enough people to cover the desk, which requires those of us who are available, to work overtime with no compensation. Work/life balance is minimal at best.
Corporate environment is in a constant state of flux and extremely stressful. There isn't real succession planning and you can no longer apply for jobs that are available, making it difficult to map out your career. Your next career move is left to the employment center, which feels like its left entirely out of your hands and that your best interests are not necessarily taken into consideration.
The people in large part are very hardworking, dedicated, and loyal. I've made some lifelong friendships and for that I am grateful. However, it is no longer an enjoyable place to work and without the ability to plan my career I feel like I could be stuck in my current role indefinitely.
What I've learned from my current role is how to effectively deal with high pressure situations. How to multitask and use a number of different systems simultaneously to drive quick results. I have learned to deliver complicated mechanical information efficiently to ensure those receiving the information understand the issue.
More importantly, I've learned that in order to be happy and successful you need to be passionate about what you are doing. I want to be proud of the work I’m doing and always strive to improve.
. – less
Great pay, poor management
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2014
I loved working for CP because of the exciting dynamic with the positions they offer. The hours are long and pay is great but they still need to work on management.
always running to keep up !!
Supervisor TP&E BC District (Former Employee), Port Coquitlam, BCJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: i would have to say that we made it safely through the day, season without the loss of a member of the crew, be it at work or traveling home, hard to comment on things you never really get and pay cheque's don't count
Cons: never good enough!! always threatened with cut backs job cuts if you don't do more with less
Although I spent many years with this company ,I found it very hard to plan with my family , except for AV ,any quality time .
I spent many hours at home doing work changing plans for work and in the end it cost my family and I years of lost time ending in divorces

Typical day!! was to plan to get through the day safely and hope that something wouldn't – more... break down and delay operations ,hoping that your guys where working safely watching each others backs.

making sure that parts and supplies where there should they be required checking on outstanding work orders training Operators and mechanics on what they need to know to keep the flow moving planning repairs shifting staff schedualing priority repairs .

I guess if I have to say anything Positive about this company it allowed me to learn and work with a great bunch of guys from other cultures , countries etc .
I was given the opportunity to really challenge myself both mentally , physically . I gained the skills that make me who I Have to be in order to compete In a rapidly changing fast paced world .

the toughest part of the job was being a husband to my wife , father to my children ,as I always was the job , trying to be the best provider showing that I always had to close the deal it was hard to always have to run to keep up .

I've been able to see most of Canada with my work, was always trusted to lead my team , and respected by most who trusted my work and felt safe letting me guide them in the tasks that where not always in the best interests of our safety but took the time to safeguard against possible dangers or death

In closing I always believe you have to finish what you start,
take pride in everything you do and do it well , give back wherever possible .

Management ??
there are good and bad in all, thank God we are all different . – less
NOT a good place to work anymore
analyst to manager...15+ yrs (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: too many to list
Since the introduction of a new CEO and senior level personnel, the company culture has changed to a very negative one.

Expecation to work or be available 24/7 have drastically reduced the concept of work/life balance.

The only benefit to employees of the head office move to the Ogden rail yard is free parking. Other than that, it created severe hardship – more... to get to work daily...adding at least 30 - 45 min to a 1 and a half hour commute.

Find a better place that promotes work life balance and cherishes and develops their employees. This company is all about the take and little about the give. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About CANADIAN PACIFIC

With operations stretching from Vancouver to New York, Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) hauls freight over about a 15,000-mile network – Read more

CANADIAN PACIFIC Photos