Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2015
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Pros
Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons
Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance
Working at CP was a BIG mistake!
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJanuary 9, 2016
Worked a a Conductor for a couple of years. Apparently at one time it was a good job. Not anymore. It has a very high turnover rate due to people getting fired or burning out. You show up, pull the paperwork, brief, get on the train and go. Or you might be assigned to the yard putting trains together. The current management is brutal. Mandatory 30 day suspensions for running a switch (which used to be a verbal warning the first time) and 3 day suspensions for minor things like losing your safety eyewear while working. Very toxic workplace. Management fires people at the drop of a hat. Everyone is on edge. Co-workers omplain constantly. You work EVERYDAY and only have two weeks of holidays a year to start. And as the junior person they tell you when to take them. Older workers are just hanging on until they can retire. The hardest part of the job is working nights in the yard. It's also the most dangerous. But as you're lowest on the seniority list you get stuck with it. It would help to have some experience out there. Depending on where you are, the scenery can be nice.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
No time off.
great self motivative job
Conductor {retired} (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCJanuary 10, 2016
I loved the different locations I went too, every day had different challenges to deal with, working with health & safety, as well as a trainer for new hirers I learned to communicate a better with management and co-workers. the hours was the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with management and co-workers
Pros
traveling, working outdoors
Cons
very long hours
Was the best job I've ever had
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Coming into a high paying, Unionized environment, CP was the shining star of my mechanical career. From the hiring process, training, work duties, front line supervisors... everyone I worked with was the very best. Balances, structured, orderly, understanding, and excellent employee relations from the Union and Company. Until, the new CEO took control in 2012. Since then, it's been a disaster. Employees fearful of management, the smallest infraction can result in termination, safety has crashed, and job security is a distant memory.
Diesel Mechanics are responsible for diagnosing, testing, repairing and maintaining CP's fleet of locomotives. Service, mobile maintenance, and road diesel inspector are some of our qualifications. Safety is always at the front of your mind in every job. 250 tonnes of steel isn't very forgiving. Focus, awareness, and a clear understanding of our job are all key elements of this position.
Pros
Excellent wages, great co-workers
Cons
New CEO, hostile environment, lack of security
Horrible Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaAugust 22, 2016
I worked at CP before and after Hunter Harrison took over.
CP values money and ratios over people and safety.
Management is now interested in saving themselves.
People are encouraged to throw other people 'under the bus'
Many managers are required to work their day job plus train to be management conductors or engineers which is completely unsafe and takes free time away.
Union jobs have been taken away, reducing maintenance and safety.
The atmosphere has changed to one of fear and some antiquated rules around work hours, dress code, etc.
Unless you love the railway, I would not suggest working for CP.
Pros
Wide variety of projects
Cons
fear, corporate culture, brutal upper management
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
Productive business environment with great employees
Procurement Specialist US and CANADA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 16, 2016
Canadian Pacific was generally the best place to be employed. Over the years I have had numerous mentors and great co-workers who always helped each other out.
My fondest memory was learning about how the railway functioned and how materials improved or changed.
Although learning the particulars of the railway was not in my job description I was always eager to learn new things or help out a fellow coworker.
The most challenging part was when we had been in a hostile takeover by a US company. They have let go many great people who's lived for the Railway and would do anything for the company. Watching our company go from a family like atmosphere to one about money and the shareholders was hard to walk away from and will be truly missed but will only bring other great things in a new adventure.
I loved every aspect of my job, management and coworkers.
There truly is only warm memories from my last place of employment and am hoping to find another great company.
Pros
Great Volunteer Programs
Cons
Hostile takeover
Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
in 37 years of employment, it had its ups and downs
Engine Attendant (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJuly 10, 2016
In 37 years of service at CP. Rail, I have enjoyed working in different capacities and different jobs. Typical work days varied from day to day, some days more challenging then others.i have learned to work with people and by myself quite efficiently. learned how to complete a task on time most of the time. The hardest part of the job was shift work. Most of my co-workers were great to work with and I"ve made lifelong friends. The managment for the most part were pleasure to work for.
Pros
various training, like WHIMIS, Safety, etc.
Cons
Shift work
fast paced work enviroment that challanged me daily.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere between Alberta and OntarioSeptember 21, 2016
The wok I did was always changing whether it be track maintenance or operating machines. The company itself was a good one to work for. great benefits and decent pay. I learned a lot about working with a team to get projects done more efficiently and how to make tough situations easier. The management with this company varied depending on the crew you were working for, which could have been a positive aspect or a negative.
Pros
Getting reinbursed for expenses
Cons
Constant change in shift time
You can do better !!!!!!!
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 2, 2016
Really disapointed that CP was not a good place to work. It was very close to home and seems to have a reasonable rate of pay etc etc I did my best to be professional and learn the job. The company is full of doom and gloom which you get hammered into you from the very start of the orientation. I managed to stick it out until the end of my 3 month probation before moving on. Realizing that ANYTHING would be better than WASTING YOUR LIFE in a position like that. Incredibly sad to see people so unhappy for so many years desperately waiting until retirement age with the false hope of starting thier dream life.at 65
Pros
Learning about the railroad industry (and outsourcing to outside contractors)
Cons
Hazardous Physically and Chemically
Not a nice environment
Railway Conductor (Current Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJune 5, 2016
Not a good environment. Worst decision I ever made was applying for the conductor position in Revelstoke. Been wanting to quit for a while but I need something to pay the bills.
Management is constantly trying to find you breaking a rule and if they find you doing something slightly out of line they suspend you for a week or 30 days sometimes. They have to get a certain amount of "fails" every month on these proficiency tests so they purposely set people up so that they "fail" and sometimes get suspensions from it too. I think I'm just not going to show up to work anymore.
Unique environment to work with
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2016
I had been working at CP as a contractor for almost 10 years and my contract was ended when the IT department was outsourced to India. Now I heard the IT work started to get re-insourced back again. Would like to see how things are turning out now. However CP was a great and unique environment to work with especially in this Oil & Gas dominated city.
Pros
Not Oil & Gas related industry; great management
Cons
Long commute from NW quadrant of the city
Great company,OK management
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 3, 2015
A really great atmosphere for work.Plenty of advancement opportunities and great benefits. The company shares program is unmatched. The management of the company leaves a lot to be desired though as there is too much turnover with unqualified people being promoted to senior positions.Otherwise i would work there again.
Pros
Free WiFi and plus 15 access
Cons
High turnover, Expensive parking
High stress with minimum regard for safety or well being
Train Conductor and Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
Worked for 5 years and seen a lot of things change within that time period.
At first safety was priority , however after new management that was rescinded to productivity before safety.
Week to week schedule, or on call 24/7 with a 2 hour window to report to duty.
High stress while working, crews are spied on from bushes by managers.
Pros
Union, Pension
Cons
No time off, lack of schedule
It is a good company with a lot of new technology to work with.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
CP has taken a lot of new and out of box initiatives and it was very nice working on these initiatives. The team is very nice and supportive.
CP provides free parking and employee get-together and it is a very nice experience working with CP.
Productive and keen to have employees acquire new skills
Supervisor/Dispatch planner (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 8, 2016
Safety comes first. Well oiled and organized company. Seniors on the job are willing to help and make sure the juniors are acquiring the needed skills to perform their job properly.
not recommended
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 7, 2016
Not that great of place youre always on call and dont get treated well the good things are you get to travel on trains and see the country but youre not home as much as you'd wish to be
Pros
you get to ride on trains
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  VariousJuly 17, 2016
This company is very productive and can be challenging depending on your job description, I personally love working for the company and wish to stay with it for years to come.
Pros
Benefits and company pension
Cons
Why work CP when you have other choices
Long time worker (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 27, 2013
I have been employed for over 37 years. Let me be honest...This is still an old Boy's Club culture. If you are not part of the club, there is no advancement. Even if you have a degree or show how passionate you are about the company. If you are not a friend or family member, forget it. You will be stuck on the same job for 20 years. They don't offer flex days anymore, while most big box companies in Calgary offer them. No more pension DB pension plan. Taking away telecommuting. Performance Management Plan is very subjective and not based on true performance. The new moto is "if you can't work long hours, get out!". Unless you are desperate for a job, don't venture this way.
Pros
people
Cons
head office in ogden, benefits, culture

2.6