Canadian Pacific

Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great self motivative job
Conductor {retired} (Former Employee), Cranbrook, BCJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: traveling, working outdoors
Cons: very long hours
I loved the different locations I went too, every day had different challenges to deal with, working with health & safety, as well as a trainer for new hirers I learned to communicate a better with management and co-workers. the hours was the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with management and co-workers
Working at CP was a BIG mistake!
Conductor (Former Employee), Revelstoke, BCJanuary 9, 2016
Pros: Decent pay.
Cons: No time off.
Worked a a Conductor for a couple of years. Apparently at one time it was a good job. Not anymore. It has a very high turnover rate due to people getting fired or burning out. You show up, pull the paperwork, brief, get on the train and go. Or you might be assigned to the yard putting trains together. The current management is brutal. Mandatory 30 day suspensions for running a switch (which used to be a verbal warning the first time) and 3 day suspensions for minor things like losing your safety eyewear while working. Very toxic workplace. Management fires people at the drop of a hat. Everyone is on edge. Co-workers omplain constantly. You work EVERYDAY and only have two weeks of holidays a year to start. And as the junior person they tell you when to take them. Older workers are just hanging on until they can retire. The hardest part of the job is working nights in the yard. It's also the most dangerous. But as you're lowest on the seniority list you get stuck with it. It would help to have some experience out there. Depending on where you are, the scenery can be nice.
Was the best job I've ever had
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros: Excellent wages, great co-workers
Cons: New CEO, hostile environment, lack of security
Coming into a high paying, Unionized environment, CP was the shining star of my mechanical career. From the hiring process, training, work duties, front line supervisors... everyone I worked with was the very best. Balances, structured, orderly, understanding, and excellent employee relations from the Union and Company. Until, the new CEO took control in 2012. Since then, it's been a disaster. Employees fearful of management, the smallest infraction can result in termination, safety has crashed, and job security is a distant memory.
Diesel Mechanics are responsible for diagnosing, testing, repairing and maintaining CP's fleet of locomotives. Service, mobile maintenance, and road diesel inspector are some of our qualifications. Safety is always at the front of your mind in every job. 250 tonnes of steel isn't very forgiving. Focus, awareness, and a clear understanding of our job are all key elements of this position.
Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons: Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Good place to work.
Specialist, Business Systems (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 23, 2015
Pros: Career opportunities
Cons: Conductor Training
Great place to work with lots of career opportunities. OI enjoyed my time there, and was exposed to many areas within IT. Very smart and professional people.
good workplace and great co workers also
Assist and instruct train crews (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 22, 2015
Give out switch list and build trains with all documents included, plus oversee all yard jobs and crews work 12 hour shifts plus proffiency test
Great Co-workers with Common Goals and Unique Personalities
Crane Operator Trainee (Former Employee), BCOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Great Co-workers, Best "Office Window" Views
Cons: Constantly On the Road
With all my years working for Canadian Pacific Railway, I enjoyed every position I had because of the people that work there. There are people who come across the entire country to work seasons on maintaining the track.

Everything from doing hard labour, operating heavy equipment, and repairing machines, there was always something interesting to learn from the job.

Travelling across the various landscapes makes you appreciate some of the areas that the not many people in this country know about. I only wish we were allowed to have a camera on the track to share some these natural fascinations.
Good learning experience
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Chapleau, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: longs hours away from home and no schedule
I was a conductor trainee. Therefor I called the oncoming speed\traffic lights, coupled and uncoupled trains, performed running inspections, walked the length of a train if an issue occured.
N/A
Trainmaster (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Very tough company to work for while working in Operations. The railway is a true 24/7/365 operation making it very tough to find and work/life balance.
Great company,OK management
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary ABSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: Free WiFi and plus 15 access
Cons: High turnover, Expensive parking
A really great atmosphere for work.Plenty of advancement opportunities and great benefits. The company shares program is unmatched. The management of the company leaves a lot to be desired though as there is too much turnover with unqualified people being promoted to senior positions.Otherwise i would work there again.
Railroading
Manager Crew Resources & Workforce Planning (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2015
Transportation. Ensuring had the right people in place to preform the correct jobs for on time delivery of many products on a daily basis. Very long in tradition
A learning experience
Ebusiness Coordinator, Management (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 30, 2015
One of the biggest things i've gained from Canadian Pacific is Patience. Each section of management has their own ideas and view on how this company should be run. Each day is consistently a learning experience.
Good salary and Benefits
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 9, 2015
The company has a very competitive salary package, and it is difficult to find a company at least in Winnipeg that will pay similarly.
Challenging environment
Price and Publication Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no opportunities
Work and life balance are gone, no growth, over worked. Politics are getting worst. Opportunities are limited. Salary looks smaller due to so may responsibilities given.
Great people to work with
Freight train conductor (Current Employee), Moose Jaw, SKJune 14, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: Job work/life balance
Typical day at work starts at any time of the day or night.That is the hardest part of the job,not knowing when will you go to work and for how long. But,great co-workers make it little easier dealing with every day issues of the railroad.
Disaster
Conductor/Yard foreman (Former Employee), CalgaryJune 12, 2015
Pros: Once upon a time it was fabulous.
Cons: New management, ownership
Once upon at time at Cp rail the career was fulfilling. Change in ownership and management drastically changed the culture. So I resigned.
overall a good reputable company
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee), port coquitlam bcMay 22, 2015
Pros: per diem
Cons: constantly away from home
they have a great respect for the employees safety and making sure to address thier concerns if any are mentioned and include benefits towards safety apparrel
great companie
Conductor/Yard Forman/Shift supervisor (Former Employee), canadaApril 27, 2015
great companie if your a single man or woman.
this is not a career for a perso with goals of raising a family.
this career is for the person who wants to be alone and make money
Busy and productive workplace with room for advancement.
Conductor (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABApril 17, 2015
Being a train conductor is a physically and mentally demanding job which taught me to problem solve and work together with my co-workers to finish our work. I needed to think quickly and be able to adapt to changes to my plan at any point during the shift. The most difficult part of the job was working at all hours of the night and being on call every day of the year. CP Rail offers a busy and demanding workplace which has taught me that I am able to get my work done properly and on time.
Fun and productive workplace
SENIOR SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
I enjoyed developing critical mainframe applications and even the on call support. My team worked very well together and we enjoyed working autonomously as well.
Headquarters