Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews

I'd avoid this company, this trainwreck is going to derail...
Work Equipment Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2017
This Company used to be good, then its started going downhill.

From a Mechanics standpoint, its horrible. You are expected to perform miracles, and are threatened constantly if you don't "tow the line". You will receive little to no training on the equipment you repair, you will not be given any parts to repair the equipment with, service manuals are like unicorns, we all hear of them, but never seen one (they will give you a part manual or operators manual if you ask for one)

Management is the worst part of this company. The level of incompetence we see is horrible, there is constant in fighting between managers, employees and the union. we are constantly threatened day in and day out for breaking the rules, then are asked to bend the rules for them when its convenient for there gains.
Pros
Benifits, decent shifts
Cons
Need to be a special breed to make a career at CP
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 March 2017
Very poor work/life balance in the engineering group. You can get sent anywhere across the system at any time with minimal notice. Lots of opportunity for growth and advancement, but you need to be the right person for this type of job. Lots of time spent on the road. Very volatile workplace as well. Constant concerns about job reduction and regular re-organizations eliminate several positions every year. The best part of working at CP was the variety of work that you got to take on, and being outdoors more often than not.
Pros
Great pay, rewarded for hard work
Cons
On-call 24/7, constant weekend work, live on the road
so so
apprentice rail car mechanic (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK3 January 2017
as a rail car mechanic apprentice, the work is varied and can be indoor or outdoor. the coworkers and immediate supervisors are great and supportive. The upper management seems to want to reinvent the wheel at times which can be frustrating. That might be the hardest part of the job.

i quite enjoy the work and as long as you can follow the rules, life at the railroad can be comfortable.

apprentice wage rates are low but journeyman mechanics have a decent wage for the work. job security at the railroad is always a bit iffy.
Pros
varied work, great co-workers and supervisors, decent retirement plan
Cons
24/7-365 any weather, upper management can be frustrating
The job is great, the life still is a kicker
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2017
Working for Canadian Pacific Railway is a great job. The pros: Working with a great group of people, trains are awesome, and the job itself is great.

The lifestyle though is whats going to strain your relationships both romantic and friendships. You are on-call 24/7/365 no exceptions. Good luck getting a doctors appointment. Can you attend your own sons birthday...no idea. You might be called for a train.

You work all hours, day or night.
Pros
pay, benefits, work in a great industry
Cons
no schedule, long hours, work in any weather conditions (snow, rain, storm), can not commit to future appointments
One of a few sweatshops in Canada
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
If you don't have a life outside of job, this place may be for you. A terrible management driving workers like slaves. Workplace so full of politics, that Parliament Hill has nothing on CP. I wouldn't advise to look for a position there now. Possibly when the CEO and CIO change you could reconsider.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work/life balance. Working extremely long hours under tremendous pressure.
Horrible management
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
I worked as an application developer.
The company seems to value control over its employees more than getting the job done.
They keep restricting everything you do to the point you are wasting more time on politics and procedures than actual work.
They are also extremely cheap on everything, from work tools to training and the cost cutting is brutal.
The moral and motivation is really low with most people looking for a way out.
You are always afraid you will get punished for things so people do the least they can, and always play it safe even if there are better way to accomplish results.
This is the kind of company that is a sample of how not to do things.
Some of the low level people are talented, but the managements is really destroying the place.
Do not go there unless you have no other chance and then just keep looking for a better place.
Worst career decision of my life.
Pros
Free parking, Acceptable benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, Restrictions all over the place, Really hard to get the job done. The worst laptops ever.
Rough place to work in Operations, Trump style Management
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2017
A typical day is responding to train operation issues, particularly in Winter for train delays. Company pushes people to their maximum and it is a top down approach and they will have you work every hour of the day if they can.

Good Railway experience if you can tough it, but learn what you can and take the courses they offer and get out if you can afford to .

Sneaky Management and you never know when they want to make an example of someone so watch your back. Senior VP's have their favorites. Lots of US style managers who believe everything comes down to the mighty dollar.

It is a company in desperation to lower their Operating Ratio to catch CN and be the lowest cost rail operation. CN has a better rail system and had agreement to prevent their best Managers going to CP.

Lots of Senior people leaving which is what the Company wants so they can hire lower cost employees. Harrison left early...

Supposedly Hunter Harrison left over $100 million in compensation behind at CP when he left this week to go to CSX. I hope the Company will deploy that money into the infrastructure or employees(heck that is a lot of money to leave behind.... !!)
Pros
Reasonable Salary and benefits
Cons
Intimidation, cost cutting, excessive hours for managers
There a joke
Good worker (Former Employee) –  Canada16 November 2016
One of the worst places to work for !!!! A culture fear , its a great company to work for. the management is a joke. There more in to seeing how they can screw there employees over then getting the job done safely and efficiently
Pros
Good money, benefits
Horrible Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta22 August 2016
I worked at CP before and after Hunter Harrison took over.
CP values money and ratios over people and safety.
Management is now interested in saving themselves.
People are encouraged to throw other people 'under the bus'
Many managers are required to work their day job plus train to be management conductors or engineers which is completely unsafe and takes free time away.
Union jobs have been taken away, reducing maintenance and safety.
The atmosphere has changed to one of fear and some antiquated rules around work hours, dress code, etc.
Unless you love the railway, I would not suggest working for CP.
Pros
Wide variety of projects
Cons
fear, corporate culture, brutal upper management
fast paced work enviroment that challanged me daily.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere between Alberta and Ontario21 September 2016
The wok I did was always changing whether it be track maintenance or operating machines. The company itself was a good one to work for. great benefits and decent pay. I learned a lot about working with a team to get projects done more efficiently and how to make tough situations easier. The management with this company varied depending on the crew you were working for, which could have been a positive aspect or a negative.
Pros
Getting reinbursed for expenses
Cons
Constant change in shift time
No work life balance but good Pay
Railway Conductor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2017
Management does not treat their employees fairly! Working hours are unpredictable and no time off work is granted. They will fire anyone for any reason. No Job security whatsoever!
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
No time away from work
Horrible moral
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 February 2017
Company is more based on trying to get people fired than trying to build a business. Using management to perform unionized work so that employees can be laid off
Pros
Money
Cons
Amount of unpaid hours
Canadian Pacific Railway
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON15 March 2017
Compensation and benefits were great. Extensive layoff's. Hostile work environment. 3/4 of the year on the road. Loved the work of the job, the politics not so much.
rewarding fast-paced work environment
Rail Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
It was an extremely busy work environment (24-7)365 days/yr. and there was not much time for leisurely socializing at work. We were expected to work 8 hr. shifts without a meal break and could be asked to extend to 12 hr. shift on short notice.
The hardest part of the job was when things got very busy because the incoming workpace was random and uncontrollable.
The best part of the job was getting through a very busy period having done a good job with good results.
It is hard to comment on mgmt. because it changed often.
What I learned on this job was time management and prioritization skills and how to effectively communicate succinctly with a variety of people throughout the day.
I also learned to adapt quickly to fluid unpredictable situations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
erratic hours and forced overtime
Great workplace!
Dispatch Planner (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 February 2017
It was a pleasure working at CP Railway for 17 plus years. I had the opportunity to work at various positions within the company. I learned a lot about the the intermodal and transportation industry.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Relocation
Productive business environment with great employees
Procurement Specialist US and CANADA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2016
Canadian Pacific was generally the best place to be employed. Over the years I have had numerous mentors and great co-workers who always helped each other out.
My fondest memory was learning about how the railway functioned and how materials improved or changed.
Although learning the particulars of the railway was not in my job description I was always eager to learn new things or help out a fellow coworker.
The most challenging part was when we had been in a hostile takeover by a US company. They have let go many great people who's lived for the Railway and would do anything for the company. Watching our company go from a family like atmosphere to one about money and the shareholders was hard to walk away from and will be truly missed but will only bring other great things in a new adventure.
I loved every aspect of my job, management and coworkers.
There truly is only warm memories from my last place of employment and am hoping to find another great company.
Pros
Great Volunteer Programs
Cons
Hostile takeover
A typical work day
Shop planner (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 February 2017
head to work get my work boots on and work on locomotive for 8 hours then head home benefits are great and pay is great always go to work with a smile on my face and leave with a bigger one
Pros
good pay
Cons
other workers that complain
Job Security and Good Paying
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Ontario12 February 2017
Its a hard working job that demands a lot of hours but it pays generously and the benefits are great. Jobs are safe however there are lay-offs for newer employees.
Unique environment to work with
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2016
I had been working at CP as a contractor for almost 10 years and my contract was ended when the IT department was outsourced to India. Now I heard the IT work started to get re-insourced back again. Would like to see how things are turning out now. However CP was a great and unique environment to work with especially in this Oil & Gas dominated city.
Pros
Not Oil & Gas related industry; great management
Cons
Long commute from NW quadrant of the city
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2017
Great company, great benefits, awesome job. Moved to Edmonton for work. Passed all exams. Unfortunately it did not work out.
Pros
benfits
Cons
Working around the clock

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6