Canadian Pacific Employee Reviews in Canada

You can do better !!!!!!!
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 2, 2016
Really disapointed that CP was not a good place to work. It was very close to home and seems to have a reasonable rate of pay etc etc I did my best to be professional and learn the job. The company is full of doom and gloom which you get hammered into you from the very start of the orientation. I managed to stick it out until the end of my 3 month probation before moving on. Realizing that ANYTHING would be better than WASTING YOUR LIFE in a position like that. Incredibly sad to see people so unhappy for so many years desperately waiting until retirement age with the false hope of starting thier dream life.at 65
Pros
Learning about the railroad industry (and outsourcing to outside contractors)
Cons
Hazardous Physically and Chemically
a place to learn new skills
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Northern OntarioMarch 7, 2016
A typical day at work starts with a job briefing and stretch and flex then a machine warm up followed by travel to the work location to commence work. .Managament is usually pretty easy going but to the point about the task at hand and always willing to give guidance. the hardest part of the job is dealing with co-workers who don't want to pull there weight. The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the outdoors.
great self motivative job
Conductor {retired} (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCJanuary 10, 2016
I loved the different locations I went too, every day had different challenges to deal with, working with health & safety, as well as a trainer for new hirers I learned to communicate a better with management and co-workers. the hours was the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with management and co-workers
Pros
traveling, working outdoors
Cons
very long hours
Conductor Job review
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCMay 10, 2016
Secure job, very enjoyable job while at work, a lot of time spent away from home. A very unstable job schedule and very little work rest rules and time away from the job i.e holidays and time off. Very hard schedule to get use to.
Pros
income is great
Cons
schedule is on call work based day on day off schedule
No Regard for the employees because it is run by Americans
TRAIN CONDUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
It is run by Americans in Canadian soil so it is bad management, always laying off guys and doesn't care if you have a family or not. they will let you work past your shift and pressure you like donkey's.
Pros
very bad management
Cons
salary is good
Dynamic and Challenging work environmnt
National Account Manager - International Sales (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QCApril 7, 2016
I have been very fortunate to have worked for Canadian Pacific for many years. I have experienced a rich and rewarding career that has exceeded my expectations.
Nice people with a very tense atmosphere.
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2015
Working as a crew dispatcher Is very stressful work. You need to be sharp and quick or you could delay events that can cost the company tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
You are not recognized for your hard wok instead you are recognized for what you do wrong. The tension in the building is very tense as everyone seems to be walking on glass.
The people however; 9 out of 10 are very polite and professional. Like very other company there are the few select that are not.
The pay was very good along with benefits and the pension. Main reasons that I would recommend anyone to work there.
Just need to have thick skin and be able to turn the other cheek and never be recognized for what you do right, but singled out for what you did wrong and maybe even fired for one mistake.
Pros
Pension / Wage / Benefits
Cons
Management / Atmosphere / No work to life balance
A Unique Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  CanadaApril 14, 2016
You have to live and breathe the culture of being "railroaders" no matter what you were hired for. Compensation is good at the expense of work/life balance.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Poor career development, negative culture
good Canadian company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
good pay, good benefits and a good Canadian company. My father worked there for thirty six years I worked there for four and a half years. It's a good company but they almost killed me twice.
Great Place to work
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Very fun place to work. Great people and a very good company to work for. Growing company with a ton of upside. People work very hard and are dedicated on making a difference in a positive way.
Great Co-workers with Common Goals and Unique Personalities
Crane Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  BCOctober 13, 2015
With all my years working for Canadian Pacific Railway, I enjoyed every position I had because of the people that work there. There are people who come across the entire country to work seasons on maintaining the track.

Everything from doing hard labour, operating heavy equipment, and repairing machines, there was always something interesting to learn from the job.

Travelling across the various landscapes makes you appreciate some of the areas that the not many people in this country know about. I only wish we were allowed to have a camera on the track to share some these natural fascinations.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Best "Office Window" Views
Cons
Constantly On the Road
It's railroading
Customs Analyst - Billingual (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 17, 2016
This is an industry that is not conducive to family life so beware. That said, CP is a great company to work for. Just be forewarned: railroading is a lifestyle not just a job
Contracter
Carman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
people work as a team. Safety is always first in your job tasks .
Your job task can change in a minute to focus on the requirements
of the business .
Pros
Benifits and pay
Great company,OK management
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 3, 2015
A really great atmosphere for work.Plenty of advancement opportunities and great benefits. The company shares program is unmatched. The management of the company leaves a lot to be desired though as there is too much turnover with unqualified people being promoted to senior positions.Otherwise i would work there again.
Pros
Free WiFi and plus 15 access
Cons
High turnover, Expensive parking
Was the best job I've ever had
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Coming into a high paying, Unionized environment, CP was the shining star of my mechanical career. From the hiring process, training, work duties, front line supervisors... everyone I worked with was the very best. Balances, structured, orderly, understanding, and excellent employee relations from the Union and Company. Until, the new CEO took control in 2012. Since then, it's been a disaster. Employees fearful of management, the smallest infraction can result in termination, safety has crashed, and job security is a distant memory.
Diesel Mechanics are responsible for diagnosing, testing, repairing and maintaining CP's fleet of locomotives. Service, mobile maintenance, and road diesel inspector are some of our qualifications. Safety is always at the front of your mind in every job. 250 tonnes of steel isn't very forgiving. Focus, awareness, and a clear understanding of our job are all key elements of this position.
Pros
Excellent wages, great co-workers
Cons
New CEO, hostile environment, lack of security
Working at CP was a BIG mistake!
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke, BCJanuary 9, 2016
Worked a a Conductor for a couple of years. Apparently at one time it was a good job. Not anymore. It has a very high turnover rate due to people getting fired or burning out. You show up, pull the paperwork, brief, get on the train and go. Or you might be assigned to the yard putting trains together. The current management is brutal. Mandatory 30 day suspensions for running a switch (which used to be a verbal warning the first time) and 3 day suspensions for minor things like losing your safety eyewear while working. Very toxic workplace. Management fires people at the drop of a hat. Everyone is on edge. Co-workers omplain constantly. You work EVERYDAY and only have two weeks of holidays a year to start. And as the junior person they tell you when to take them. Older workers are just hanging on until they can retire. The hardest part of the job is working nights in the yard. It's also the most dangerous. But as you're lowest on the seniority list you get stuck with it. It would help to have some experience out there. Depending on where you are, the scenery can be nice.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
No time off.
Fun Place
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 30, 2016
Get to work outdoors and in different yards. We always get to work with different people as well. Fun place to work. Good hours and wage.
Good place to work.
Specialist, Business Systems (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work with lots of career opportunities. OI enjoyed my time there, and was exposed to many areas within IT. Very smart and professional people.
Pros
Career opportunities
Cons
Conductor Training
Good learning experience
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Chapleau, ONSeptember 23, 2015
I was a conductor trainee. Therefor I called the oncoming speed\traffic lights, coupled and uncoupled trains, performed running inspections, walked the length of a train if an issue occured.
Pros
Experience
Cons
longs hours away from home and no schedule
good workplace and great co workers also
Assist and instruct train crews (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 22, 2015
Give out switch list and build trains with all documents included, plus oversee all yard jobs and crews work 12 hour shifts plus proffiency test