Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Reviews

Sick place
Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Deep River, ON15 December 2017
I have been working there for more than a year. I am looking forward to leave and find a new job. The working conditions are poor. A lot of silo and lack of team work. Some managers like more employee than others and so there is a lot of differential treatment and favoritism . If you are not happy there , it is difficult to look for job since the area is isolated and difficult to commute to major cities . I do not recommend this place!
Pros
Nice area in summer
Cons
Lack of respect
Great benefits, nice plant, uncertainty
Corporate Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON22 November 2017
Long waits in traffic to arrive in mornings, lots of parking but far walk to offices.
Necessary security processes make it difficult for break time to get to food accessibility.
Remote location require travel to work with no transit options for the local area.
Overall great place to work if you are willing to do the drive and walks, benefits are incredible as well as the salaries. Atmosphere is good but some uncertainty for the future of the company however promises for a growing organization.
Great work environment, mentally stimulating
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL DEIGNER SUMMER STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON17 November 2017
CNL was a great company to work for over the summer. I gained vast knowledge in my field. I would recommend anyone to work at Canadian nuclear laboratories.
Secure employment with good renumeration
HR Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, Ontario6 November 2017
CNL is a great place to work but definitely needs to work on management. The people there love to work but management is holding them back. Morale would be better if upper management focused more on their employees than their annual bonuses.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Poor Management
CNL is an Inclusive and Growing Company
Project Manager’s Assistant/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON20 September 2017
I greatly enjoyed my time at CNL and felt included and nurtured during my 4 month internship. I was encouraged to ask questions and was mentored by several individuals during my time there. There are so many departments, there is always a new challenge to undertake once hired.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Far from the city
Avoid at all cost !
Contract officer (Current Employee) –  Deep River, ON7 September 2017
The company is going through tremendous changes , however, the old guard is still controlling and the mentality did not change.
The people from the area believe it is their company and they hire from within. Do not not be surprised to see a secretary becoming a manager after 10 year of work. They train their staff so much they lack skills. Interesting , an employee who follow few hours of training will claim he or she is an expert in the field.
Avoid because, the place is full of harassment and bullying
Pros
good benefit
Cons
a lot of unqualified people are have managerial position
Great learning opportunity
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON16 July 2017
Poor management, supply chain manager micro manage employee. Manager has no nuclear experience and cannot advice in nuclear related issue in procurement. All other people are helpful. Opportunity available to learn. Non union employee has difficulty to get into unionized position.
Pros
Opportunity to learn new things
Cons
To return of hard work
Workplace is fine
Contamination Monitor (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON3 May 2017
Workplace is very good
Management are poor take too long to do anything for employee/
People at CNL are great
Morale in Radiation Protection is very low
Pros
People are great
Cons
Radiation Protection management are clueless
Co-op
Junior Physics Analyst in R&D, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON18 April 2017
Great place to work to have a good work and life balance. Its perfect if you want to help create a better future for people, as the work done there will help out with the medical industry.
Research & Development
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON4 April 2017
I appreciated the opportunity to work at the prestigious site at Chalk River. I met and worked with many very talented individuals and learned many items in my field of interest. Although it was not initially clear as to my role at this site, I was given many roles during my nine years working there. I served as trainer, coordinator, research scientist, work permit authorizer, safety officer, decommissioning specialist, document writer for preliminary decommissioning document, emergency preparedness procedures, equipment commissioning, decommissioning readiness preparedness document and form. Every item was a unique experience.
Pros
Many opportunities to learn.
Cons
Societal segregation based on levels of education.
Intimidating supervisor made the Co-op term experience unbearable.
Computer Science Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB25 January 2017
It sucked. The supervisor was intimidating and the work was uninteresting and just plain boring. Apply to some other company.
Excellent place to work
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON9 December 2016
Worked there for 25 years. Challenging positions, but very rewarding experience. Some growing pains as the company transitions from government managed to privately managed, but continually improving.
Pros
Very safety oriented company.
Cons
Some of the infrastructure is old and outdated.
Co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON2 October 2016
I was a co-op summer student that had the opportunity to work at CNL for three weeks.

It was a great experience.

Unfortunately there was not enough time here. Three weeks at a job placement is never enough.

It was a good learning experience.
Pros
Amazing supervisor that really shared her knowledge with me.
Cons
Long hours, not enough to keep busy.
avoid avoid avoid Whiteshell
RP Worker (Former Employee) –  Pinawa, MB12 September 2016
Typical government atmosphere with typical incompetent leadership. This was kosher when it was run by the government. But the place has been "privatized" in 2015 and all that did was add another layer of incompetent leaders from down south. These new leaders seem to have come here for a taxpayer paid fishing vacation. And there is obvious conflicts of interest, with who is married to who and by all the buddy buddy amongst upper management.

When WL was run by the government, it was an OK place to work and collect a pension. The results of privatization is now an even more bloated incompetent leadership team trying to make things more efficient by spewing out more hot air.

Everyone here knows that they will lose their job in the next 8 years but are not being told when they will be let go and with no incentive to stay. New hires have been let go after a few months of working here due to restructuring, not a good environment to be in. Combine this with management's incompetence just avoid avoid avoid.
Pros
pay is good, good pension before it's gone in September of 2018, good benefits, some good people
Cons
incompetent management
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON2 June 2016
Canada's national nuclear research and development facility located in Chalk River Ontario. Formerly the crown corporation Atomic Energy of Canada Limited.
Canada's premier nuclear S&T organization
Technical Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON5 November 2015
Many interesting researchers working on innovations that boggle the mind. Excellent safety culture and program leaders.
Enjoyable position for those who enjoy being social
Training Lead/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chalk River15 October 2015
In my current role I have developed a five-day onboarding program for new employees. I am responsible for coordinating/facilitating their onboarding on a bi-weekly basis. As part of the onboarding I also facilitate a one-hour presentation on HR services, forms and entitlement/compensation. I have also conducted a Training Validation report to ensure the program increases employee engagement and retention.

I am also the facilitator for Conflict Resolution training and Communication Basics Training.

This position requires a large degree of responsibility, organization, and social agility. The encumberment must be confident, knowledgeable about all aspects of the company, comfortable communicating with all levels of the organization and being the "face" of the company.
Pros
Flexibility, Socially Satisfying, Face-Paced
Cons
Lack of people resources causing strain on the department
Cool place
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON21 September 2015
Very well organized reputed company. Work environment is very Good. Nice people, but very from from city. I loved working here.
Pros
beautiful place
Cons
no mans land kindda place, harsh weather
Science and manufacturing and nuclear operations; great coworkers.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON6 August 2015
A science and technology self supporting operations of nuclear research reactor and site; construction and commissioning, decommissioning, and waste management. Strong manufacturing group that can create just about anything. Labs with technicians and researchers dedicated to their craft. Caring for the environment. Above and beyond expectations how all groups from engineering to records management work to achieve results.
Pros
Supportive coworkers.
Cons
None.