Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Excellent job experience
Office Administration and Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABJune 11, 2015
Was able to advance to other areas within the office environment to attain various experience and responsibilities. Enjoyed working with everyone I worked with and the experience I attained.
Pros
Advancement, salary and benefits
Cons
No advancement to management positions within Administration
Productive and fun environment
Student, Information Systems - Systems Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
The team is efficient and lean; client issues are resolved in a timely manner and structured approach with minimal downtime.
The environment is fun to work in, relaxed, and open. Collaboration among co-workers is awesome.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the commendation I receive from my supervisor after a job well done as well as the constructive advice given to assigned complete work.
Good experience
Turn Around Mechanical planner/Field Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Horizon siteJune 1, 2016
This is was a good place to help me gain some added work experience. I found the job challanging and rewarding at the sometime.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Pros
Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons
Bus ride was too much every day.
Excellent Company and management team to work with
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Various remote camp sites.April 14, 2016
As a Camp Coordinator it was a pleasure working with the CNRL team. If not for the downturn in the Oil & Gas industry, I would still be there.
Pros
Great schedule, great team leaders, great co-workers
Cons
Subject to world market conditions.
Good place to work. Plenty of time off.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 20, 2016
Great work schedule of 7 on and 7 off. The group o employees are great to work with. There is possibilities for advancement. Each day was a new and different challenge. Everyone for the most part ere team players.
well managed organization
Site Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Good company to work for, nice benefits and forward looking management. I was a site project engineer at the Horizon plant, many opportunities for experience.
I did not work directly for Canadian Natural - they are only our Clients.
Senior Document Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 4, 2015
Eight years I have been working for Amec Foster Wheeler Oil and Gas, but with different Clients - Project based and it has been a very unique experience with each Client, which I enjoyed thoroughly and learnt a lot from each Project. Every day is a learning experience for me. Management is nice. Co-workers friendly. The hardest part is when the economy is facing recession, then there is a lot of negativity in the air. Enjoyed my job as the procedures were in place and it was very systematic.
Pros
Healthcare spending account
Cons
Too much of politics nd favoritism
kjdcbs
Information System Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 13, 2015
This was backbone of network, Internet Service providers department. I had a great exposure and hands on the actual routers, switches, slams etc. That was a start of my career, absolutely great work environment and being a part of operations unit of a giant telecommunications company built lot of confidence and decision making power in me.
Greedy big company
Accounts Payable Clerk/Reception (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMarch 9, 2016
When I started working for them it was okay. After about a year their true colours showed. Especially when oil dropped and they started dropping people left right and center but the big boys never took a wage cut. Greedy, Greedy, big company.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 20, 2015
I was asked to leave Finning at CNRL and take over leadhand, Teamlead Role for CNRL, learned lots at this site with very exsperienced management.
Ok
Commissioning Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, ABMarch 20, 2016
Fantastic relationship with co-workers and supervision, progression,,,, not so much. After 8 years of working I am still stuck at an entry level vacation rate
Pros
People are great
Cons
Progression, 120 hours vacation yearly
A great experience overall
Skid Steer Operator (Rotation) (Former Employee) –  Kirby Lake, ABFebruary 29, 2016
The camp was very clean and it was nice and quiet at the end of the day. Staff were excellent, the food was good. Co-workers and supervisors were friendly and easy to get along with.
Great work place and cooperative people
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 7, 2015
CNRL gave me privilege to work with such a nice experienced team and gave me an opportunity to show my skills and provided environment to apply my rich document control experience in projects. I am working as an integral part of document control team of major projects to support and build CWP/EWP work packages for operation.
Pros
Nice work location, good people
Cons
Travelling time, working for long hours
great workplace
Industrial Hygiene Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABFebruary 29, 2016
- great supervisor

- flexible in travel time

- willing to add more responsibilities

- the most enjoyable part was working for a great supervisor
Best place to work
Tax Analyst Student (ongoing) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
On a typical day at work, i mostly do reports for SRED purposes, GST HST, reply to queirries regarding Tax conpliance appliations.
Pros
welcoming atmosphere
Cons
I am not afraid to speak the truth about CNRL
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edson, ABFebruary 27, 2013
CNRL is a good place to start your career in the oil and gas industry. They will teach you lots and you will get great exposure and then you will be very marketable to REPUTABLE companies that will reward you for your skills and work ethic.

Management is corrupt at all levels and the arrogance is overwhelming. The only long standing employees are people that have never seen the outside world.

It is difficult to achieve any kind of moral when the doors revolve constantly and everyone is continuously looking to find new work.

The pay stinks and their stock is worthless. Don't buy into the empty promises.

I won't even discuss the safety program. They sweep so much under the carpet that sooner or later its going to trip them up big time!
n/a
Construction Manager / Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2015
Fun place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics , but this is expected of a large company
Had a great time
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABFebruary 12, 2016
I loved working for CNRL Lloydminster, my superintendants were super, they worked me hard, the other consultants were also very easy to get along with
Productive, Process Driven
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2013
Canadian Natural has a company culture that makes coming to work everyday very enjoyable. Very process driven. But upper management is disconnected with employees.
Pros
fridays off in summer, work life balance
Cons
no job security even though your told cnrl doesn't lay off workers