Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Excellent Company and management team to work with
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Various remote camp sites.14 April 2016
As a Camp Coordinator it was a pleasure working with the CNRL team. If not for the downturn in the Oil & Gas industry, I would still be there.
Pros
Great schedule, great team leaders, great co-workers
Cons
Subject to world market conditions.
Ok
Commissioning Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB20 March 2016
Fantastic relationship with co-workers and supervision, progression,,,, not so much. After 8 years of working I am still stuck at an entry level vacation rate
Pros
People are great
Cons
Progression, 120 hours vacation yearly
great place
Equipment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 March 2016
just needing a change, this is a great company with a great future too bad they weren't more integrated into the BC area. I have nothing bad to say at all i'm just needing a change in my work-life balance.
Pros
awesome team
Cons
fly in fly out hard on work-life balance
Greedy big company
Accounts Payable Clerk/Reception (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 March 2016
When I started working for them it was okay. After about a year their true colours showed. Especially when oil dropped and they started dropping people left right and center but the big boys never took a wage cut. Greedy, Greedy, big company.
great workplace
Industrial Hygiene Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB29 February 2016
- great supervisor

- flexible in travel time

- willing to add more responsibilities

- the most enjoyable part was working for a great supervisor
A great experience overall
Skid Steer Operator (Rotation) (Former Employee) –  Kirby Lake, AB29 February 2016
The camp was very clean and it was nice and quiet at the end of the day. Staff were excellent, the food was good. Co-workers and supervisors were friendly and easy to get along with.
Best place to work
Tax Analyst Student (ongoing) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
On a typical day at work, i mostly do reports for SRED purposes, GST HST, reply to queirries regarding Tax conpliance appliations.
Pros
welcoming atmosphere
cnrl good company
Control Room/Plant Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB22 February 2016
good hard working employees, work together to achieve a task
very low salary in comparison to competitive companies in the industry.
more management involvement with the employees would be appreciated
Productive and fun environment
Student, Information Systems - Systems Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
The team is efficient and lean; client issues are resolved in a timely manner and structured approach with minimal downtime.
The environment is fun to work in, relaxed, and open. Collaboration among co-workers is awesome.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the commendation I receive from my supervisor after a job well done as well as the constructive advice given to assigned complete work.
Had a great time
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB12 February 2016
I loved working for CNRL Lloydminster, my superintendants were super, they worked me hard, the other consultants were also very easy to get along with
Love on site work!
Environmental Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 February 2016
As a Co-op student position I was immersed in a very wide variety of tasks in order to give an appreciation for field work.
Great company to further your career in oil and gas operations!
Production Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB29 January 2016
› The management was very knowledgeable, helpful and productive.

› I wasn't just treated like a number.

› The company provided a safety-oriented culture and lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Fun work environment, great management and free lunches
Cons
Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
Pros
stock options can be good
Cons
No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
Great learning opportunity
Production Engineer (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2016
I worked at Canadian Natural Resources as an intern.
It's an amazing company with strong support for students and with great learning opportunities.
Developing people working together, creating value for all workers and company's shareholders by doing right with fun and integrity.
Safety & Integrity Specialist At Mine Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 January 2016
A typical day at work starts with Safety first.
I have learned at CNRL that the changes at this company comes from the hand of persistence, consistency and perseverance focused on the key objectives towards a stronger safety culture.
The co-workers are focuesed on the job and some of them are looking forward improvement for them and for the company.
The hardest part of the job was the Improvement ideas are heard and discussed, rest, work is fun and interesting rhythm.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2016
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Pros
Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons
Bus ride was too much every day.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 December 2015
I was asked to leave Finning at CNRL and take over leadhand, Teamlead Role for CNRL, learned lots at this site with very exsperienced management.
Busy
Haul Truck Driver, Fort Mckay, AB (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB27 November 2015
~hauled material to needed locations
~ hail gate in the mornings to be notified of any changes in the pit or medical issues
~ had to do a walk around equipment to make sure everything was in order if not we had to report it
~Good communication
~The crew was like family if you were unsure about anything you were able to ask
kjdcbs
Information System Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2015
This was backbone of network, Internet Service providers department. I had a great exposure and hands on the actual routers, switches, slams etc. That was a start of my career, absolutely great work environment and being a part of operations unit of a giant telecommunications company built lot of confidence and decision making power in me.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator for Maintenance Projects (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB1 November 2015
Great people, excellent team work.
Opportunities to move forward in your career.
Excellent benefits.
All in all, great place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a