Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Project Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2016
Project Work contingent on capital budgets. If there is no allocated budgets, project work is cancelled along with corresponding jobs.
Good place to work. Plenty of time off.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 April 2016
Great work schedule of 7 on and 7 off. The group o employees are great to work with. There is possibilities for advancement. Each day was a new and different challenge. Everyone for the most part ere team players.
Developing people working together, creating value for all workers and company's shareholders by doing right with fun and integrity.
Safety & Integrity Specialist At Mine Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 January 2016
A typical day at work starts with Safety first.
I have learned at CNRL that the changes at this company comes from the hand of persistence, consistency and perseverance focused on the key objectives towards a stronger safety culture.
The co-workers are focuesed on the job and some of them are looking forward improvement for them and for the company.
The hardest part of the job was the Improvement ideas are heard and discussed, rest, work is fun and interesting rhythm.
Great place tohave worked
Pipeline & Facility Inspector (Former Employee) –  Wabasca1 September 2016
Great crews to work with. Always a pleasure to show up daily. Managment was easy to get along with and informative. Enduring the constant mud was an issue.
Pros
Busy job
Cons
Mud
great place
Equipment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 March 2016
just needing a change, this is a great company with a great future too bad they weren't more integrated into the BC area. I have nothing bad to say at all i'm just needing a change in my work-life balance.
Pros
awesome team
Cons
fly in fly out hard on work-life balance
Excellent job experience
Office Administration and Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB11 June 2015
Was able to advance to other areas within the office environment to attain various experience and responsibilities. Enjoyed working with everyone I worked with and the experience I attained.
Pros
Advancement, salary and benefits
Cons
No advancement to management positions within Administration
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator for Maintenance Projects (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB1 November 2015
Great people, excellent team work.
Opportunities to move forward in your career.
Excellent benefits.
All in all, great place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
I did not work directly for Canadian Natural - they are only our Clients.
Senior Document Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2015
Eight years I have been working for Amec Foster Wheeler Oil and Gas, but with different Clients - Project based and it has been a very unique experience with each Client, which I enjoyed thoroughly and learnt a lot from each Project. Every day is a learning experience for me. Management is nice. Co-workers friendly. The hardest part is when the economy is facing recession, then there is a lot of negativity in the air. Enjoyed my job as the procedures were in place and it was very systematic.
Pros
Healthcare spending account
Cons
Too much of politics nd favoritism
Good experience
Turn Around Mechanical planner/Field Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Horizon site1 June 2016
This is was a good place to help me gain some added work experience. I found the job challanging and rewarding at the sometime.
Very productive and very safe work place.
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB22 May 2016
Very good managed work place, safety and work ethic were always top priority. Everybody maintained good working relationships with colleagues and contractors that were based on mutual respect.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
I am not afraid to speak the truth about CNRL
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB27 February 2013
CNRL is a good place to start your career in the oil and gas industry. They will teach you lots and you will get great exposure and then you will be very marketable to REPUTABLE companies that will reward you for your skills and work ethic.

Management is corrupt at all levels and the arrogance is overwhelming. The only long standing employees are people that have never seen the outside world.

It is difficult to achieve any kind of moral when the doors revolve constantly and everyone is continuously looking to find new work.

The pay stinks and their stock is worthless. Don't buy into the empty promises.

I won't even discuss the safety program. They sweep so much under the carpet that sooner or later its going to trip them up big time!
Productive, Process Driven
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2013
Canadian Natural has a company culture that makes coming to work everyday very enjoyable. Very process driven. But upper management is disconnected with employees.
Pros
fridays off in summer, work life balance
Cons
no job security even though your told CNRL doesn't lay off workers
I would give it 0 stars if I could
Safety Advisor Coker Rebuild (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2013
Where to begin.

They have no safety culture. They hire inexperienced safety people with no experience in the oil sands or construction and they are bullied and ignored by management that couldn't care less about safety. Their philosophy is get it done as quickly and as cheaply as you can. Safety should be seen and not heard. Incidents are covered up or blame shifted to the workers instead of management who creates the problems to begin with.

Crane topples, major shutdown due to explosion and fire, and at least 3 people dead and at least 53 charges from OH&S. Their record speaks for itself and it's the worst in the Alberta oil sands.

The camp is horrible. Food is worse than the worst high school cafeteria you've ever eaten at. Rooms smell like urine. They bring in unqualified migrant and foreign workers who are cheap, easily exploited and sent packing if they complain about the abuse.

Avoid at all costs...
Pros
Great place to work if you don't care about your own personal safety
Cons
Everything.
well managed organization
Site Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2015
Good company to work for, nice benefits and forward looking management. I was a site project engineer at the Horizon plant, many opportunities for experience.
Excellent Company and management team to work with
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Various remote camp sites.14 April 2016
As a Camp Coordinator it was a pleasure working with the CNRL team. If not for the downturn in the Oil & Gas industry, I would still be there.
Pros
Great schedule, great team leaders, great co-workers
Cons
Subject to world market conditions.
Productive and fun environment
Student, Information Systems - Systems Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
The team is efficient and lean; client issues are resolved in a timely manner and structured approach with minimal downtime.
The environment is fun to work in, relaxed, and open. Collaboration among co-workers is awesome.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the commendation I receive from my supervisor after a job well done as well as the constructive advice given to assigned complete work.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2016
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Pros
Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons
Bus ride was too much every day.
kjdcbs
Information System Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2015
This was backbone of network, Internet Service providers department. I had a great exposure and hands on the actual routers, switches, slams etc. That was a start of my career, absolutely great work environment and being a part of operations unit of a giant telecommunications company built lot of confidence and decision making power in me.
Sweat Shop Operation
Land Department (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2012
CNRL stands for: Company No one Really Likes.

They pay bottom of the barrel wages. They tell everyone that the Stock Options make up for the low wages, only problem is the Stock has been under-performing for the last 5 years.

Only work for CNRL if you have no other options... Its a revolving door in all the Engineering and Geology teams.
Pros
fridays off during the summer
Cons
industry low wages, poor management, limited advancement opportunities
Greedy big company
Accounts Payable Clerk/Reception (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 March 2016
When I started working for them it was okay. After about a year their true colours showed. Especially when oil dropped and they started dropping people left right and center but the big boys never took a wage cut. Greedy, Greedy, big company.