Canadian Natural Employee Reviews in Canada

Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
Pros
stock options can be good
Cons
No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
Great company to further your career in oil and gas operations!
Production Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJanuary 29, 2016
› The management was very knowledgeable, helpful and productive.

› I wasn't just treated like a number.

› The company provided a safety-oriented culture and lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Fun work environment, great management and free lunches
cnrl good company
Control Room/Plant Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABFebruary 22, 2016
good hard working employees, work together to achieve a task
very low salary in comparison to competitive companies in the industry.
more management involvement with the employees would be appreciated
Productive workplace with freedom to seize project opportunities
Reservoir Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
The culture at CNRL is a very work-oriented culture. There are many opportunities to learn and contribute, which is expected of every employee. "Creating Value" is a very strong part of their mission statement and it is shown by the work ethic of all the employees. Part of their mission statement is also "doing it right with fun and integrity". The part which I feel needs the most improvement is "fun". Many of the employees (including myself) were consistently stressed for most of the time I worked there. This had much to do with completing the "deliverables" effectively while meeting the constrained deadlines. It could be much improved by discussing the deadlines instead of stating it outright.
Pros
constant learning and progression; challenging work
Cons
long hours were necessary to meet the required deadlines
Developing people working together, creating value for all workers and company's shareholders by doing right with fun and integrity.
Safety & Integrity Specialist At Mine Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work starts with Safety first.
I have learned at CNRL that the changes at this company comes from the hand of persistence, consistency and perseverance focused on the key objectives towards a stronger safety culture.
The co-workers are focuesed on the job and some of them are looking forward improvement for them and for the company.
The hardest part of the job was the Improvement ideas are heard and discussed, rest, work is fun and interesting rhythm.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator for Maintenance Projects (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABNovember 1, 2015
Great people, excellent team work.
Opportunities to move forward in your career.
Excellent benefits.
All in all, great place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
great place
Equipment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 14, 2016
just needing a change, this is a great company with a great future too bad they weren't more integrated into the BC area. I have nothing bad to say at all i'm just needing a change in my work-life balance.
Pros
awesome team
Cons
fly in fly out hard on work-life balance
Stayed for 12 yeares as I did enjoy my work there and the culture
Joint Venture Operated Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 20, 2016
Over the years, I moved from Admin to Accounts Payable to Joint Venture and loved it.

The challenges of the job where you had to analyse jibs and get back to partners with answers or backup. I enjoyed the interaction I had with my partners.

The management always had an open door policy and it was a great change that you could go in and talk to any of the management team without having that fear of being reprimanded.

The only reason I moved was the job changed from just being operated to being operated and non operated on the same desk with multiple deadlines and I did not want to go the non op route.

That is why I moved to Bonavista Energy.
Excellent job experience
Office Administration and Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABJune 11, 2015
Was able to advance to other areas within the office environment to attain various experience and responsibilities. Enjoyed working with everyone I worked with and the experience I attained.
Pros
Advancement, salary and benefits
Cons
No advancement to management positions within Administration
well managed organization
Site Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Good company to work for, nice benefits and forward looking management. I was a site project engineer at the Horizon plant, many opportunities for experience.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Pros
Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons
Bus ride was too much every day.
kjdcbs
Information System Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 13, 2015
This was backbone of network, Internet Service providers department. I had a great exposure and hands on the actual routers, switches, slams etc. That was a start of my career, absolutely great work environment and being a part of operations unit of a giant telecommunications company built lot of confidence and decision making power in me.
Productive and fun environment
Student, Information Systems - Systems Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
The team is efficient and lean; client issues are resolved in a timely manner and structured approach with minimal downtime.
The environment is fun to work in, relaxed, and open. Collaboration among co-workers is awesome.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the commendation I receive from my supervisor after a job well done as well as the constructive advice given to assigned complete work.
I did not work directly for Canadian Natural - they are only our Clients.
Senior Document Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 4, 2015
Eight years I have been working for Amec Foster Wheeler Oil and Gas, but with different Clients - Project based and it has been a very unique experience with each Client, which I enjoyed thoroughly and learnt a lot from each Project. Every day is a learning experience for me. Management is nice. Co-workers friendly. The hardest part is when the economy is facing recession, then there is a lot of negativity in the air. Enjoyed my job as the procedures were in place and it was very systematic.
Pros
Healthcare spending account
Cons
Too much of politics nd favoritism
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 20, 2015
I was asked to leave Finning at CNRL and take over leadhand, Teamlead Role for CNRL, learned lots at this site with very exsperienced management.
Great work place and cooperative people
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 7, 2015
CNRL gave me privilege to work with such a nice experienced team and gave me an opportunity to show my skills and provided environment to apply my rich document control experience in projects. I am working as an integral part of document control team of major projects to support and build CWP/EWP work packages for operation.
Pros
Nice work location, good people
Cons
Travelling time, working for long hours
Greedy big company
Accounts Payable Clerk/Reception (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMarch 9, 2016
When I started working for them it was okay. After about a year their true colours showed. Especially when oil dropped and they started dropping people left right and center but the big boys never took a wage cut. Greedy, Greedy, big company.
n/a
Construction Manager / Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2015
Fun place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics , but this is expected of a large company
Excellent Company and management team to work with
Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Various remote camp sites.April 14, 2016
As a Camp Coordinator it was a pleasure working with the CNRL team. If not for the downturn in the Oil & Gas industry, I would still be there.
Pros
Great schedule, great team leaders, great co-workers
Cons
Subject to world market conditions.
Good place to work. Plenty of time off.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 20, 2016
Great work schedule of 7 on and 7 off. The group o employees are great to work with. There is possibilities for advancement. Each day was a new and different challenge. Everyone for the most part ere team players.