Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Quiet Office Environment with Bursts of Activity
Coordinator Roevin Technical People (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 14, 2014
Pros: one hour lunch with bed and cable upstairs
Cons: starts at 7 am
A typical day at work would be to cancel forwarding the phones, then gather any paperwork that needs to be completed for the day before the office opens. Once opened then it is answering telephone enquiries, tenant concerns and updating inventory and reports throughout the day. If needed, go out and pick up inventory items towards the end of the day. Complete cost code processing for invoices that come in and update lead hand daily on any new requirements or changes to the area. I have learned that to stay on top of the bursts of activity with a temporary accommodations site you would have to be prepared ahead of time and have an order or process to get all the information prepared correctly and in time. Management is a gem to work with. They provide assistance when needed and can go forward and present any ideas or projections that you think would be necessary to improve this project. The hardest part of the job is to locate where all the past files are to know how to process everything in the same manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is able to communicate with the different tenants that come through the door and able to accommodate their needs as best I can.
I would give it 0 stars if I could
Safety Advisor Coker Rebuild (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 12, 2013
Pros: great place to work if you don't care about your own personal safety
Cons: everything.
Where to begin.

They have no safety culture. They hire inexperienced safety people with no experience in the oil sands or construction and they are bullied and ignored by management that couldn't care less about safety. Their philosophy is get it done as quickly and as cheaply as you can. Safety should be seen and not heard. Incidents are covered up or blame shifted to the workers instead of management who creates the problems to begin with.

Crane topples, major shutdown due to explosion and fire, and at least 3 people dead and at least 53 charges from OH&S. Their record speaks for itself and it's the worst in the Alberta oil sands.

The camp is horrible. Food is worse than the worst high school cafeteria you've ever eaten at. Rooms smell like urine. They bring in unqualified migrant and foreign workers who are cheap, easily exploited and sent packing if they complain about the abuse.

Avoid at all costs...
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons: Bus ride was too much every day.
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: stock options can be good
Cons: No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
I am not afraid to speak the truth about CNRL
Operator (Former Employee), Edson, ABFebruary 27, 2013
CNRL is a good place to start your career in the oil and gas industry. They will teach you lots and you will get great exposure and then you will be very marketable to REPUTABLE companies that will reward you for your skills and work ethic.

Management is corrupt at all levels and the arrogance is overwhelming. The only long standing employees are people that have never seen the outside world.

It is difficult to achieve any kind of moral when the doors revolve constantly and everyone is continuously looking to find new work.

The pay stinks and their stock is worthless. Don't buy into the empty promises.

I won't even discuss the safety program. They sweep so much under the carpet that sooner or later its going to trip them up big time!
Productive workplace with freedom to seize project opportunities
Reservoir Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: constant learning and progression; challenging work
Cons: long hours were necessary to meet the required deadlines
The culture at CNRL is a very work-oriented culture. There are many opportunities to learn and contribute, which is expected of every employee. "Creating Value" is a very strong part of their mission statement and it is shown by the work ethic of all the employees. Part of their mission statement is also "doing it right with fun and integrity". The part which I feel needs the most improvement is "fun". Many of the employees (including myself) were consistently stressed for most of the time I worked there. This had much to do with completing the "deliverables" effectively while meeting the constrained deadlines. It could be much improved by discussing the deadlines instead of stating it outright.
I did not work directly for Canadian Natural - they are only our Clients.
Senior Document Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 4, 2015
Pros: Healthcare spending account
Cons: Too much of politics nd favoritism
Eight years I have been working for Amec Foster Wheeler Oil and Gas, but with different Clients - Project based and it has been a very unique experience with each Client, which I enjoyed thoroughly and learnt a lot from each Project. Every day is a learning experience for me. Management is nice. Co-workers friendly. The hardest part is when the economy is facing recession, then there is a lot of negativity in the air. Enjoyed my job as the procedures were in place and it was very systematic.
Not that good
Operations (Current Employee), HorizonMarch 1, 2013
Pros: fly in fly out to and from edmonton and calgary and a new camp for employees next year
Cons: pay not as good as other sites and all the above
The morale at this place is very low for the most part. Talking with coworkers it appears as though I am not the only one unhappy there. From finger pointing to upper management not taking responsibility for their own decisions, to Micro-management it's not a surprise why we recently had a mass exodus in my department. There are certain positions where your decisions will not be respected and yet when something fails you will bear the blame.

June 9, 2013

CONS: Many unqualified people in upper management preventing the right people from making their way up through management ladder. There are several grade 10 ers in big positions, preventing qualified right people to enter the organization. No room for freshmen to gain experience or training. Job ads are un realistic seeking 5-10 years of O&G experience. By not hiring freshmen, this company is relying on runaway staff from other companies in the region. That is the way the bad and unqualified stock made through the upper management in this company. PROS: Nice big Canadian company with a lot of potential to be a leader in O&G. Infrastructure & market share wise they are solid. Definitely need some shake up in management hierarchy. Should commit to hiring College and University grads and not 10 graders.

Wellsite Supervisor
Contractor (Former Employee), Cold LakeDecember 4, 2014
A typical day of work consists of travel to location, hold pre job meetings with onsite crews & rig crew & begin our day of operations requested by the Primary Contractor. You never stop learning in any position you fill or take on. In this position I learned a great deal on the down hole and day to day expectations of the primary contractor. The people I work with are as great to work with. As with any place some personalities clash but being a leader you must be able to adapt and work with these individuals in a professional manner. The hardest part of any oilfield job would have to be the time away from home. The most enjoyable would have to be the diversity of tasks and challenges of the day to day operations expected of you.
Oppressive work environment with sweatshop attitude.
Team Lead (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray, CalgaryNovember 2, 2012
Pros: fridays off in summer are earned by working 8 hours per day but being paid for 7.5 hours per day
Cons: typical workdays are way beyond the 7.5 hour paid day.
False incentives lure individuals into a toxic work environment where they are continually mistreated and made to feel inferior.
Short staffed situations exist throughout the company and everyone is made to feel that it's up to them to pick up the slack with little or NO reward or recognition.
Advancement opportunities are few and far between and education and training is purely limited to meeting precise targets, which are never a qualifier for training.
High output working enviroment
Reservoir Consultant (Former Employee), Down Town Office, CalgaryOctober 19, 2012
Pros: strict high output expectation working environment
Cons: not ideal for employee motivation
1 My main assignment was to send out 5 waterflood applications within the one month period.
2 managed to have the 5 applications prepared with all the back up documents attached within the time allowed.
3 During an engineering evaluation of one of the waterflood projects, I had noticed reserves were being swept to a competitor's producer. Management ignore my recomendations but rather just concern to reach his goal of the application aspects and missing the point of losing flood energy and revenue
Welllsite supervisor
Wellsite Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2015
*Responsible for drilling operations representing the company. Working 24 hours/day. Directing & supervising drilling service contractors. Maintaining communications with Superintendent and regularly reporting operational progress & status. Controlled drilling materials, supplies & service contractor arrangements.

* Review & check drilling programs. Ensured procurement of services, materials and supplies in accordance with approved operation programs. Provided drilling service contractors with detailed operational procedures & requirements at every step of the operation. Ensured that all activities are carried out in accordance with the company's safety policies and procedures.

* Prepared and delivered daily drilling operation report via Well-View including various drilling parameters, material supply and consumption, costs, and other associated information.
A great place to work.
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 3, 2014
Pros: fifo, camp, free food
Cons: cold.
The best oil and gas company that I worked so far. I work at the warehouse issue counter during my day shift 7/7 and work in recieving area on my night shifts. I learned a lot working as a warehouse technician under materials management/supply management. I love my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is being there for too long. I spent 7 years with CNRL, I am looking for a new company to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is during Christmas time and just working with nice people and a great team.
Good team work, New machinery, 7 in, 7 out work rotation, good camp
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 24, 2015
Pros: good pay, good camp, good team
Cons: night shift, long commute from saskatoon to edmonton to catch flight to
I operated a cable or hydraulic shovel loading oil sand onto 400 ton haul trucks.
We worked a 12 hour shift, alternating one week days and one week nights. Working night shift was the hardest part of the job, by the end of the week you were really tired, but we were very well paid to do it.
My co-workers were the best, and I enjoyed the team work.
Developing people working together, creating value for all workers and company's shareholders by doing right with fun and integrity.
Safety & Integrity Specialist At Mine Operations (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work starts with Safety first.
I have learned at CNRL that the changes at this company comes from the hand of persistence, consistency and perseverance focused on the key objectives towards a stronger safety culture.
The co-workers are focuesed on the job and some of them are looking forward improvement for them and for the company.
The hardest part of the job was the Improvement ideas are heard and discussed, rest, work is fun and interesting rhythm.
These camps are disgusting
Office (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray, ABMay 27, 2013
As a 'sub contractor' employee, the food is disgusting, the camp overall was so dirty, it made it twice as hard to eat there......the camp I'm speaking of was Calumet. I heard the other two camps (McKay and Chelsea was almost as bad). Also the CNRL 'big wigs' were the most rudest people I have met in a long time and I've been doing this for 17 years.

I would sure have think twice if I had to go back there......or it would sure have to be one high paying position!
Challenging and Fast-paced, with good benefits
Turnaround Planning Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McKay,ABOctober 17, 2012
Pros: good pay, decent camp living
Cons: remote location
Canadian Natural is an oil sands company that employs a large number of services. Working in the Horizon Oil Sands plant gave me the opportunity to experience the oil sands processing first hand and interact with engineers, planners, tradespeople and financial workers. Expectations at this organization are high, so it is always good to try your very best while working here. Great staff, and an excellent learning working environment.
A great place to grow and anvance my professional skills
Construction Coordinator (Current Employee), CNRL HorizonJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: abilitiy to affect outcome with personal level of commitment
Cons: instability- sustaining capital is very susceptible to economic influences
Coordinate contractors ( Electrical, mechanical, support- scaffold & insulators) to executed projects in a brown field environment. Work with engineer team on review of upcoming projects and secure QA/QC requirements, scheduling and budgeting.

Great team environment with fantastic support from supervision.

Challenging, high paced environment which I found to be incredibly rewarding.
Sweat Shop Operation
Land Department (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2012
Pros: fridays off during the summer
Cons: industry low wages, poor management, limited advancement opportunities
CNRL stands for: Company No one Really Likes.

They pay bottom of the barrel wages. They tell everyone that the Stock Options make up for the low wages, only problem is the Stock has been under-performing for the last 5 years.

Only work for CNRL if you have no other options... Its a revolving door in all the Engineering and Geology teams.
Great company!
Joint Venture Auditor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I have worked for five big companies. Nova, where I also worked in the field, Royal Trust Energy which was acquisition related, Pembina Resources as my first staff audit job, Norcen as a brief senior staff auditor in charge of junior auditors and training, and Canadian Natural. I very much enjoyed my time at all places but especially at Canadian Natural where I still have colleagues to visit and particpated in rewarding challenges.
Headquarters
2500, 855 - 2 Street S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 4J8