Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Great Culture, but its rapidly changing
Production Engineer - Primrose East Steamflood (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2016
Corporate culture is great with the benefits of a big company but feel of a small company. Staff is mostly pretty young which works well as most groups are dynamic with good ideas. You will likely work more here than you would at other companies and there likely wont be any benefit for doing so. Work life balance is heavy on the work. Strong and capable management structure with good track record. Unlikely you will ever become one of them. Emphasis and rewards on cutting costs.
Secure Company
Pipeline Control Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2016
CNRL is a very secure company with great opportunities for growth and advancement.

Pay and benefit structure is very well rounded.

Management is very open door and willing to accomodate.
Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
Pros
stock options can be good
Cons
No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
fun fast pace workplace a lot of great guys
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2016
go to work write paper work start to gather gear to build a scaffold throughout the day management would come check on us and ask how your day was going everybody worked well and got along with each other. the hardest part of the job would of been when their was a lot of people on site and a lot of congestion. most enjoyable part working at heights and learning a lot of new things and getting new people and making lots of friend.
Pros
good money free lunches
Cons
weather working outside all the time
Great company to further your career in oil and gas operations!
Production Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB29 January 2016
› The management was very knowledgeable, helpful and productive.

› I wasn't just treated like a number.

› The company provided a safety-oriented culture and lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Fun work environment, great management and free lunches
great place to work
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
long hours and hard work. it pays off at this company. you usually stay and work until the job is done. pipeline is iffy though because you always worry about what job is next.
You are really just a number here.
Process and Sulphur Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB6 May 2016
Wasn't a bad place to work, wage was good and personally I liked the camps. What sucked was how management treated people, and you were truly just a number.
With better, smarter and more caring management this really would of been a good place to work. Even on my exit interview I don't really even think they cared; but then again no one even showed up for my hiring interview. go figure.
I do believe this was just the local management; as I have a better feeling about the Calgary management
Pros
none. what they wrote down is exactly what you got.
Cons
Read above and read the small print
Co-workers were great
Joint Venture Audit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB17 November 2016
My most recent experience has been as a Business Analyst, involving oil and gas royalty forecasts,
crown royalty reconciliations, freehold mineral taxes, property taxes, joint venture and royalty audits.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
long hour, tight deadlines
Stayed for 12 yeares as I did enjoy my work there and the culture
Joint Venture Operated Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2016
Over the years, I moved from Admin to Accounts Payable to Joint Venture and loved it.

The challenges of the job where you had to analyse jibs and get back to partners with answers or backup. I enjoyed the interaction I had with my partners.

The management always had an open door policy and it was a great change that you could go in and talk to any of the management team without having that fear of being reprimanded.

The only reason I moved was the job changed from just being operated to being operated and non operated on the same desk with multiple deadlines and I did not want to go the non op route.

That is why I moved to Bonavista Energy.
cnrl good company
Control Room/Plant Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB22 February 2016
good hard working employees, work together to achieve a task
very low salary in comparison to competitive companies in the industry.
more management involvement with the employees would be appreciated
A productive place to work
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2016
Helped clients with library and records management inquiries. I enjoyed troubleshooting specific well record issues. I learned a new records management software system. My co-workers were always very helpful and I learned valuable knowledge from them.
friendly co-workers
Millwright and Electrician in Chemco (Current Employee) –  main site14 September 2016
nice co-workers, good management! this is fun workplace, all co-workers is very nice, friendly and hard working,we help each others,this is my enjoyable part!
Great place to work with fun and integrity
Sr. Cost Specialist (Former Employee) –  Horizon Site, Fort McMurray22 July 2016
excellent company
good training
nice environment
good pay
high end products
good hours
learned new skills which should transfer to new position
hated to leave
Pros
Outstanding Benefits, Pay decent & wonderful weekly meetings
Cons
No Comments
Good place to work and they provide good benefits
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2016
Fair and open workforce, Good place to learn for your career and is ideal for self starters. Given lots of room to develop and train for advancement.
good place to learn
Plant operator (Former Employee) –  Wabasca, AB5 July 2016
I was able to learn a great deal working here. far to much politics , if you aren't related to a senior staff member you are extremely expendable.
Pros
good camps
Cons
you are a number not a person
its a camp life
Journeyman Millwright / Reliability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 May 2016
7 days 12 hours shift / Day Fly in & out
learned the equipment reliability procedures
Management is strict on Safety
Cooperative co workers
to work on Holidays is the hardest part
to work in a safe work atmosphere is the best feature
Pros
Camp Life with free meals
Good place to work. Plenty of time off.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 April 2016
Great work schedule of 7 on and 7 off. The group o employees are great to work with. There is possibilities for advancement. Each day was a new and different challenge. Everyone for the most part ere team players.
Productive workplace with freedom to seize project opportunities
Reservoir Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2015
The culture at CNRL is a very work-oriented culture. There are many opportunities to learn and contribute, which is expected of every employee. "Creating Value" is a very strong part of their mission statement and it is shown by the work ethic of all the employees. Part of their mission statement is also "doing it right with fun and integrity". The part which I feel needs the most improvement is "fun". Many of the employees (including myself) were consistently stressed for most of the time I worked there. This had much to do with completing the "deliverables" effectively while meeting the constrained deadlines. It could be much improved by discussing the deadlines instead of stating it outright.
Pros
constant learning and progression; challenging work
Cons
long hours were necessary to meet the required deadlines
Great company to work with.
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
Treat people the most important and care about the employee.

Work and life balance.

Much opportunities to various exposures.

Supportive teams whenever help is needed.
Pros
Company cares about employees
Cons
Industry risk is volatile
A good company, though quite large.
Production Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2016
Was a good company to work for though a bit tougher to get ahead.
So many opportunities but also a lot of qualified people.