Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Great Culture, but its rapidly changing
Production Engineer - Primrose East Steamflood (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2016
Corporate culture is great with the benefits of a big company but feel of a small company. Staff is mostly pretty young which works well as most groups are dynamic with good ideas. You will likely work more here than you would at other companies and there likely wont be any benefit for doing so. Work life balance is heavy on the work. Strong and capable management structure with good track record. Unlikely you will ever become one of them. Emphasis and rewards on cutting costs.
Co-workers were great
Joint Venture Audit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB17 November 2016
My most recent experience has been as a Business Analyst, involving oil and gas royalty forecasts,
crown royalty reconciliations, freehold mineral taxes, property taxes, joint venture and royalty audits.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
long hour, tight deadlines
Great place to work with fun and integrity
Sr. Cost Specialist (Former Employee) –  Horizon Site, Fort McMurray22 July 2016
excellent company
good training
nice environment
good pay
high end products
good hours
learned new skills which should transfer to new position
hated to leave
Pros
Outstanding Benefits, Pay decent & wonderful weekly meetings
Cons
No Comments
great place to work
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
long hours and hard work. it pays off at this company. you usually stay and work until the job is done. pipeline is iffy though because you always worry about what job is next.
Great team camaraderie and excellent mentoring
Relief Operator/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 January 2017
Great summer student job- opportunity to learn about all aspects of relief operating in sour/sweet, hi/low gas field and plant. Mentoring and management was excellent, provided feedback and guidance when required. Camaraderie was excellent and all team players provided me the opportunity to learn and expand/increase my knowledge and skills.
Pros
Excellent opportunity to expand skillset and knowledge of oil/gas operations
Secure Company
Pipeline Control Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2016
CNRL is a very secure company with great opportunities for growth and advancement.

Pay and benefit structure is very well rounded.

Management is very open door and willing to accomodate.
Great Place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2017
great place to work. Management is fair for the most part. No major issues with anything or anyone. Company runs a tight ship financially which at times sucks bucks but is very appreciated during the tough economic times. CNRL has not laid off staff during these economic times due to how management watches spending. A+ for that!
fun fast pace workplace a lot of great guys
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2016
go to work write paper work start to gather gear to build a scaffold throughout the day management would come check on us and ask how your day was going everybody worked well and got along with each other. the hardest part of the job would of been when their was a lot of people on site and a lot of congestion. most enjoyable part working at heights and learning a lot of new things and getting new people and making lots of friend.
Pros
good money free lunches
Cons
weather working outside all the time
Really enjoyable place to work.
Field operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ab10 February 2017
Learned quite a bit with Cnrl. They are very informative and are very hands on. Very good company to build a career with. Also working with Canadian natural, it's a great place to work independently. And builds self motivation skills.
cnrl good company
Control Room/Plant Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB22 February 2016
good hard working employees, work together to achieve a task
very low salary in comparison to competitive companies in the industry.
more management involvement with the employees would be appreciated
good people to work with
Richardson Executive Camp (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB30 December 2016
most days your workload changed from the previous with no explanation, there were many injuries from the harsh workload...and we never felt the company cared how we were ... it felt like...if one breaks we can get a new one tomorrow...
A productive place to work
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2016
Helped clients with library and records management inquiries. I enjoyed troubleshooting specific well record issues. I learned a new records management software system. My co-workers were always very helpful and I learned valuable knowledge from them.
Not a people company
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Horizon Site6 February 2017
Profit and production driven environment. Loss of production will probably mean an mid level employee will be let go. Uneven balance between fly in/fly out and locally based employees.
Seem like a decent company to work for
Relief contract operator (Current Employee) –  Bow Island, AB24 January 2017
I'm only a relief operator for now and have done just a bit of that so to say a whole lot right now but for sure the little I've done I have to say so far so good
Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2016
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
Pros
stock options can be good
Cons
No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
Good company
Operators Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maskwacis, AB30 January 2017
I learned a lot about oil and gas here, but was hired when the markets fell, and therefore was one of the first to go. Would liked to have had more experience here, but it was good.
friendly co-workers
Millwright and Electrician in Chemco (Current Employee) –  main site14 September 2016
nice co-workers, good management! this is fun workplace, all co-workers is very nice, friendly and hard working,we help each others,this is my enjoyable part!
Great company to work with.
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
Treat people the most important and care about the employee.

Work and life balance.

Much opportunities to various exposures.

Supportive teams whenever help is needed.
Pros
Company cares about employees
Cons
Industry risk is volatile
Great company to further your career in oil and gas operations!
Production Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB29 January 2016
› The management was very knowledgeable, helpful and productive.

› I wasn't just treated like a number.

› The company provided a safety-oriented culture and lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Fun work environment, great management and free lunches
Stayed for 12 yeares as I did enjoy my work there and the culture
Joint Venture Operated Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2016
Over the years, I moved from Admin to Accounts Payable to Joint Venture and loved it.

The challenges of the job where you had to analyse jibs and get back to partners with answers or backup. I enjoyed the interaction I had with my partners.

The management always had an open door policy and it was a great change that you could go in and talk to any of the management team without having that fear of being reprimanded.

The only reason I moved was the job changed from just being operated to being operated and non operated on the same desk with multiple deadlines and I did not want to go the non op route.

That is why I moved to Bonavista Energy.