Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Toxic and demoralizing environment
Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 10, 2014
Pros: soft beds, paid flights from hubs (edm and calgary)
Cons: early shift start (6:30 am), lack of retirement plan, mediocre benefits plan
You might get lucky and work for a decent supervisor in some small faction of this big company, but overall leadership at CNRL is unprofessional and arrogant. They tend to not respect those who work beneath them. The culture suffers major trust issues. It's a sweat shop where people's needs always come last.

Shares and incentives sound better than – more... they actually are. Any bonus is subject to the Supervisor's mood at time of pay out; no real criteria to base performance pay outs.

THE WORST DEPT IS THE MINE TRAINING DEPT!!

The savings plan and incentives are designed that if you terminate employment with the company you always leave money behind. And they WILL find a way to terminate your employment if you bring up any concern or issue that ruffles their feathers.

Excessive punitive action for minor infractions. There have been numerous mass exoduses from the Mine group in the past; people just get fed up with the treatment and seek work at other mines in the Ft Mac area that treat their employees better. – less
Mining Warehouse
Warehouse / Materials Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaOctober 1, 2014
- Shipping & Receiving
- Coordination of Core returns and general parts
- Mining Tool Crib management
- Perform daily inventory counts and provide support to Inventory Control group
- Materials Management support for customers, Mining Team Leads, Planners and Buyers
- Provide constant “continuous improvement” to Warehouse Operations
- Provide training – more... to new personnel
- Perform as Lead when needed or called upon to – less
Long Hours
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: stock options
Cons: not enough rest period between shifts
Long Hours and long commute to and from work. Putting production before safety was an issue I could not overlook or be submissive to, as their track record will speak for itself.
needed more of a challenge
Civil Construction Coordinator (Former Employee), northern AlbertaSeptember 19, 2014
A telephone call would be appreciated. Day to day business was normal as my knowledge and expertise
Productive and fun work place
IT Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2014
Good Place to work

Great Place to work

Excellent Place to work
Expected a lot for low pay
Turnaround Planner/Operator (Former Employee), Dawson Creek BCJuly 30, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: wages
Canadian Natural I think could have been a good place to work but rates and benefits were not up to par with industry.

They ran lean and expected a lot out of their personnel.
Productive team to work with, close working relationships
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2014
Financial and Production reporting for Management and the Production Accounting teams.
Royalty, sales and well inventory queries.
ENice place to work, great environment and most people approchable and professional.xample: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 2, 2014
People friendly and comprised with the company. Open and approchable.
Good company with many chances to move up.
Field Operator (Former Employee), Spirit River, ABMay 29, 2014
Provided all of the training you needed to succeed on the job and had good benefits.
Superior Management support
QA Coordinator Tank Farms Horizon Project (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaMay 23, 2014
Pros: good group attitude
Cons: long hours
Schedule based routine with ample time to interact with coworkers and contractors to complete the business at hand. Challenging work environments were always considered when planning the site activities.
Quiet Office Environment with Bursts of Activity
Coordinator Roevin Technical People (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 14, 2014
Pros: one hour lunch with bed and cable upstairs
Cons: starts at 7 am
A typical day at work would be to cancel forwarding the phones, then gather any paperwork that needs to be completed for the day before the office opens. Once opened then it is answering telephone enquiries, tenant concerns and updating inventory and reports throughout the day. If needed, go out and pick up inventory items towards the end of the day. – more... Complete cost code processing for invoices that come in and update lead hand daily on any new requirements or changes to the area. I have learned that to stay on top of the bursts of activity with a temporary accommodations site you would have to be prepared ahead of time and have an order or process to get all the information prepared correctly and in time. Management is a gem to work with. They provide assistance when needed and can go forward and present any ideas or projections that you think would be necessary to improve this project. The hardest part of the job is to locate where all the past files are to know how to process everything in the same manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is able to communicate with the different tenants that come through the door and able to accommodate their needs as best I can. – less
an ok place to work
Warehouse Technician/Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 23, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: long probation
9 month probation is a downer that ive never heard of before, ok co-workers
Good People, Not a Great Place
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 7, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: food isn't very good
The best part about CNRL is the people that work for it. Management is trial and error and everyone is trying to prove something and in doing so fail to listen to experienced people that are not in Management roles
A great place to work.
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 3, 2014
Pros: fifo, camp, free food
Cons: cold.
The best oil and gas company that I worked so far. I work at the warehouse issue counter during my day shift 7/7 and work in recieving area on my night shifts. I learned a lot working as a warehouse technician under materials management/supply management. I love my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is being there for too long. I spent 7 years with – more... CNRL, I am looking for a new company to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is during Christmas time and just working with nice people and a great team. – less
Productive and Fun
Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee), CalgaryFebruary 23, 2014
Is a fun place to work for. Its culture is great. The environment is extremely friendly.
Challenging Fast Paced Environment
Bitumen Production Business Unit Buyer (Current Employee), BPFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, fly in and out, stock, retention
Solve Invoicing Issues
Repair Work
Material Coordination
Productive, Challenging , Satisfying
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJanuary 2, 2014
Lots to learn, Great company to work for, very many challenging technical assignments. I was a contractor.
good place to work
e&i coordinator (Former Employee), horizonDecember 26, 2013
very professional work atmosphere, flights and bonus plan
I would give it 0 stars if I could
Safety Advisor Coker Rebuild (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 12, 2013
Pros: great place to work if you don't care about your own personal safety
Cons: everything.
Where to begin.

They have no safety culture. They hire inexperienced safety people with no experience in the oil sands or construction and they are bullied and ignored by management that couldn't care less about safety. Their philosophy is get it done as quickly and as cheaply as you can. Safety should be seen and not heard. Incidents are covered up – more... or blame shifted to the workers instead of management who creates the problems to begin with.

Crane topples, major shutdown due to explosion and fire, and at least 3 people dead and at least 53 charges from OH&S. Their record speaks for itself and it's the worst in the Alberta oil sands.

The camp is horrible. Food is worse than the worst high school cafeteria you've ever eaten at. Rooms smell like urine. They bring in unqualified migrant and foreign workers who are cheap, easily exploited and sent packing if they complain about the abuse.

Avoid at all costs... – less
Good work- life balance
Employee (Current Employee), North of Fort McMurrayNovember 22, 2013
Pros: good work life balance
Posibilities for advancement available. Good training programs sponsored. Good team.

1 2 3

About Canadian Natural

MAKE YOUR MARK WHILE YOU GROW YOUR CAREER At Canadian Natural we believe our employees are the key to unlocking asset potential. – Read more

Canadian Natural Photos