Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

Love on site work!
Environmental Co-op student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 3, 2016
As a Co-op student position I was immersed in a very wide variety of tasks in order to give an appreciation for field work.
Great company to further your career in oil and gas operations!
Production Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJanuary 29, 2016
› The management was very knowledgeable, helpful and productive.

› I wasn't just treated like a number.

› The company provided a safety-oriented culture and lots of room for advancement.
Pros
Fun work environment, great management and free lunches
Cons
Can be a good place to work but totally depends on the team/manager.
PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Unfortunately the current culture in IT does not value experience. The younger and cheaper you are the more attractive you are.

The managers in software development have no formal IT background so rely solely on process to manage. You need to be a process drone to excel in the IT software development group of this company. My definition of a process drone is someone who works to the metrics of process without regard to the possibly detrimental consequences to the goals those processes and metrics were originally intended to achieve. In this team you will NEVER be faulted if you follow the process. If you can turn off your brain and follow process you will excel here.

Things are much more results oriented in the field. There it tends to be more results oriented. Get it done as quickly, safely and efficiently (low cost) as possible and work any process later. More agile to use the jargon.
Pros
stock options can be good
Cons
No pention. Stupidly long hours if you are on the management track.
Great learning opportunity
Production Engineer (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 12, 2016
I worked at Canadian Natural Resources as an intern.
It's an amazing company with strong support for students and with great learning opportunities.
Developing people working together, creating value for all workers and company's shareholders by doing right with fun and integrity.
Safety & Integrity Specialist At Mine Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work starts with Safety first.
I have learned at CNRL that the changes at this company comes from the hand of persistence, consistency and perseverance focused on the key objectives towards a stronger safety culture.
The co-workers are focuesed on the job and some of them are looking forward improvement for them and for the company.
The hardest part of the job was the Improvement ideas are heard and discussed, rest, work is fun and interesting rhythm.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
I started out in the Security Area as the HSRS Admin which is accepting and getting job applications checked for any reasons why person applying could not come on site. Data Entry work and checking for details was required for this position.
I managed the EBI Station which was attended by the Security group that was on site. This Station is where everyone received their badges to come on site.
I was transferred to the Fire Hall at Canadian Natural to help the fire fighters with any clerical jobs that were required. I enjoyed working with all of the Fire Fighters on sight because it was a very relaxing surroundings. I learned how the pacs are set up in case there is any emergencies eg. H2S. I enjoyed all the jokes and laughter everyday from the time you walked in the Fire Hall until you left for the day.
All of the coworkers were great people to work in both areas that I
worked. They always made you feel at home.
Pros
Sometimes recognized the work you had completed
Cons
Bus ride was too much every day.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 20, 2015
I was asked to leave Finning at CNRL and take over leadhand, Teamlead Role for CNRL, learned lots at this site with very exsperienced management.
Busy
Haul Truck Driver, Fort Mckay, AB (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABNovember 27, 2015
~hauled material to needed locations
~ hail gate in the mornings to be notified of any changes in the pit or medical issues
~ had to do a walk around equipment to make sure everything was in order if not we had to report it
~Good communication
~The crew was like family if you were unsure about anything you were able to ask
kjdcbs
Information System Operation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 13, 2015
This was backbone of network, Internet Service providers department. I had a great exposure and hands on the actual routers, switches, slams etc. That was a start of my career, absolutely great work environment and being a part of operations unit of a giant telecommunications company built lot of confidence and decision making power in me.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Warehouse Coordinator for Maintenance Projects (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABNovember 1, 2015
Great people, excellent team work.
Opportunities to move forward in your career.
Excellent benefits.
All in all, great place to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
n/a
Excellent work environment
Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 31, 2015
Structured approach to real-life engineering problems.
Excellent work environment.
Friendly colleagues.
Comfortable accommodations.
Drilling wellsite supervisor (Current Employee) –  LloydminsterSeptember 24, 2015
CNRL is a well managed company. My drilling supervisor is knowledgeable and has a good team behind him. They have however slowed down the drilling projects due to current oil prices.
well managed organization
Site Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 18, 2015
Good company to work for, nice benefits and forward looking management. I was a site project engineer at the Horizon plant, many opportunities for experience.
Productive workplace with freedom to seize project opportunities
Reservoir Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2015
The culture at CNRL is a very work-oriented culture. There are many opportunities to learn and contribute, which is expected of every employee. "Creating Value" is a very strong part of their mission statement and it is shown by the work ethic of all the employees. Part of their mission statement is also "doing it right with fun and integrity". The part which I feel needs the most improvement is "fun". Many of the employees (including myself) were consistently stressed for most of the time I worked there. This had much to do with completing the "deliverables" effectively while meeting the constrained deadlines. It could be much improved by discussing the deadlines instead of stating it outright.
Pros
constant learning and progression; challenging work
Cons
long hours were necessary to meet the required deadlines
Great work place and cooperative people
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 7, 2015
CNRL gave me privilege to work with such a nice experienced team and gave me an opportunity to show my skills and provided environment to apply my rich document control experience in projects. I am working as an integral part of document control team of major projects to support and build CWP/EWP work packages for operation.
Pros
Nice work location, good people
Cons
Travelling time, working for long hours
Fun place to work at
Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with professional people.
Learned a lot at this location
Crew Foreman (Former Employee) –  Various ABAugust 28, 2015
Learned a lot about the pipefitting trade during these jobs. Various jobs requiring different problem solving abilities really helped me grow as a tradesman and a supervisor.
Busy company that treats employees good.
Sr. Business Analyst/Support Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2015
Many support tasks managed across the company that provided very busy days. Management was great and provided direction when needed.
Pros
Great management and company treated employees well.
Cons
Too many meetings.
Fit and hard working
Instrumentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 25, 2015
The salary is good but no co-ordination with Engineers and Maintenance or Operations....hypocrites!!!

Working in a closed environment with no windows (Not CCR) is like a prison.
Productive and extremely fun workplace
Thermal Operations Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 20, 2015
One of the best companies to work for in the world. Experince new and innovative ways everyday to better ones company and self.
Pros
The creative environment and work mates
Cons
No Cons