Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews in Canada

Run, run away!
Electrical Apprentice Edmonton, Alta (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
By far the most dysfunctional workplace I have ever been a part of. Also by far the most unhappy, depressing place (diesel shop edmonton) I have ever worked at. Upper, upper management is aware how bad things are but do nothing about it.

Unless you are desperate, I would not recommend working for CN. Better yet, talk to some present employees before you take any position with them.
good work and stable job with the right amount of seniority.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  QuebecJuly 6, 2016
CN is a fast paced business and you are always on the go. A lot of the times I would sign in at home and continue to work. The customers are demanding but if you have a good relationship with them it all works out. Lots of staff to contact for assistance, benefits were great and pay was amazing to start.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, unionized work.
Tons of money, Zero Life
Freight conductor (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 11, 2016
was a freight conductor for two years.You more or less just slept or went to work. Layoffs are common and expect to move around the country anywhere from 1 week to 7 weeks at a time. Hard life to live and not for everyone. Great money and benefits if you can stick it out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, management is out to get you, management is as knowledgeable as a rock
working out doors in all types of weather
Group 2 Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  CanadaApril 18, 2016
Fast paced working environment. Usually working with tight deadlines due to lack of track time. Management and co-workers are great to work for and with. Most of the time working in very isolated locations across Canada though mostly thoughout Ontario. Being away from home is the hardest part of working for CNR. The pay and benefits along with the physically demanding aspect of the job are definate pros. for me.
Terrible Management but great company otherwise
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BCApril 8, 2016
The benefits were alright, the pay was great, and the people I worked with were awesome. Management, however, was not. The supervisors would literally hide in bushes or on a nearby hill with binoculars or fly in helicopters to catch their employees doing things wrong. It was ridiculous to see the lengths they'd go to strike the fear of being fired into people even though it was laughably easy to stay on with the Union.
Busy but great place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
Pros
Great Salaries
Cons
Lots of work, very demanding
Good job if you can hold a position
conductor (Current Employee) –  saskatoonJune 6, 2015
Excellent wages and benefits. however since CN rail is a seniority based work place there is a very high possibility to get laid off after your done training. (excluding management) You should also expect to get called for work at all hours of the day with 2 hours notice max. If you can hold a position you will get paid very well but don't expect to have much of a home life.
Pros
pay
Cons
your never at home
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits.. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move with
Customer Service Rep/Accts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move
Pros
Fun job, fast paced, very rewarding
Cons
Unionized, never knew when you could get "bumped".
Face paced work, time line to get trains build and out
GROUNDSMAN/TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 6, 2016
I found working at CN Intermodal very fun and challenging in its own ways. Its a non stop always moving environment with many challenges. Safety is #1 for everyone
Pros
great pay, benefits, perks, pension
Cons
Management needs improvement
Good job.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Capreol, ONMay 27, 2016
Good all around job, job security wasn't the greatest. On call 24/7, no schedule, money was good. Management was good, seemed to show interest in work we were doing, co-workers all worked together with very little friction, hardest part of job would be the hours, most enjoyable is the end result.
Pros
Good benefits, salary, work
Cons
layoffs.
no work/life balance
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Been working as a conductor for cn rail for 2.5 years now and have been on call 24/7. they dont care about your personal life, if you dont answer your phone they move on they dont pay you and you go under investigation. company is poorly managed. but good pay, decent benifits and good people.
Pros
pay
Cons
on call 24/7, management is against you.
A great place to earn a high salary, if you don't get laid off
Conductor (Former Employee) –  McLennan, ABMay 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for CN, although it was too short. I made the switch to CN from bar management as I was/am ready for a career to last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, even moving 2000km away from home couldn't guarantee my position with how low my seniority was.
Hard place to work
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 8, 2016
Hard place to work, great rewards if you are willing to sacrifice time for money.

The benefits do not outweigh the cons in this company. hard place to make a living
Pros
they pay for all expenses
Cons
long hours, little appreciation
fun place to work. disconnect between management and employees
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 22, 2016
I love the job, it's active, it's fun, you're always learning, you get to see a bunch of cool things. I would recommend this job to anyone but there's a huge disconnect between management and union employees.
Professionalism begets professionalism
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 27, 2016
Very secure career with great benefits. Working hours vary but wages make up for it. Ability to transfer to different departments. EFAP program is a nice touch. Employees take their jobs very seriously.
Pros
Safe place to work
Cons
Inclement weather
Supervisor
Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJuly 11, 2016
Long hours are required of management. Pay is not competitive. Opportunity for advancement if you relocate. Ok benefits. Support is good from middle management.
CN Conductor
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 15, 2016
You live to work.

Then you get laid off and you can't live.

Very true they spend $50k training you and then $100k trying to fire you.

Toxic Management. Continually steal money from workers and break agreements.
Pros
eventually good pay
Cons
everything but the pay
Great pay, good job but they own you.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 24, 2013
I worked there over one summer as a conductor trainee. From the first encounter with a trainmaster, I got the feeling I was disposable. I was fired in the fall for the actions of another employee that they mistook as me. No warning and no investigation to my alleged demeanor. My many pleas to the company and union fell on deaf ears despite irrefutable evidence. Every employee at CN can be replaced and they make you know it. Even 30+ year veterans get the boot when they don't tow the company line. Just a warning, never take them lightly, and never give them anything to burn you with. As many in the company say; they'll spend one thousands to train you and the next 30 years trying to fire you.
Pros
great pay and benefits, good coworkers, interesting work
Cons
immature management, no job security, highly irregular hours
Don't do it, It's a trap!
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 28, 2016
The pay is great, the lifestyle is okay if you have the right seniority.
Upper management displaced from reality, manipulating budgets for own personal gain.
Very low employee morality.
Many fond memories while there.
Assistant Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 12, 2016
Generally a good employer, and good people to work with. Long work days, working days off, stress and a change of the culture would be cons.

2.7