Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Great company - Job security
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 June 2017
Great company - Job security - work life balance - decent benefits

It is not easy to get promotions

Base salary that you start with is the most important thing at CN. If you start with a good base , you are good for ever.
Good pay & benefits, but its not all sunshine and rainbows...
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Melville, SK11 June 2017
CN has a great extensive training program for new conductors. They fly you to Winnipeg if you hire in Canada, and you're there 7 weeks. They pay for flights, hotel the whole time, and all meals, plus pay you a weekly salary for attending class 5 days a week. During those 7 weeks though, they make CN sound like the best company to work for ever.

Sure, you read online and hear about the on call 24/7/365 thing, and for the most part, with exceptions, that's true. It wouldn't be a huge issue for single guys like me, or even family men, if their train lineups were accurate ever... you'll show going out at 6am so you decide to go to bed at 10pm to be tested. Suddenly your phone rings to go work for 12 hours on a train at 11pm. If you say no, you're hauled in for an investigation and discipline.

If management would update the lineups and not hide random trains on lineups, we would have a better idea when we're going to work.

You do make good money. Will you make over $100,000 a year as a conductor? Not at the beginning, unless you go to a few select terminals like McLennan or Roma Junction where they're always short guys and pay a very good salary to entice people up there. But for other terminals, you could make 75% of that, but after a few years, you definitely could make 6 figures.

It's definitely not your average job and it is what you make of it. But I'm posting this at 4am, because I'm awake waiting for my next call to take a train. That should tell you what to expect from this career.....
Pros
Pay, benefits, coworkers, training program
Cons
Management, never know when youll work
Poor employee respect
Railway Car Technician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2017
I would love the job if they could accommodate to the employes more. I have been on nights with Tuesday Wednesday off for 3 years and and scheduled to be so for the next 20 plus years. Untill I am able to bid a regualr shift. With a young family at home this schedule dose not work for us. I have never spent a Christmas day with my son due to working over time pulling doubles and filling in shifts for the higher sonority employees. I am ready for a change for the better to improve my career choices and see my family .
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2017
Working in management, the company expects their pound of flesh. Their are exceptionally long hours with minimal guidance but high expectations. There is always pressure. I mostly enjoyed my job, it can be unrelenting at times but the job satisfaction is good, when you are given the tie and resources to complete it.
Great company to work for!
Train Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 May 2017
I think if you are ready to begin a career and you are lucky enough to get hired on, this job is probably one of the best opportunities you could have!
Pros
Benefits, Great work environment, Opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Maybe the hours.
Awesome student job
CN autoramp (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC12 May 2017
Get to drive amazing cars all day long
pay is fantastic
work is very laid back and relaxed
can sometimes be stressful because you cannot damage the cars
Pros
salary
Cons
outdoor weather condition
Middle management
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 May 2017
Arrived at work- went into the office to find out if I had to go out of town complete miscellaneous work, Plan day around travel.
Hardest part was planning work around weather.
Best part of the job was working with people day in and day out.
Pros
Wage and Benefits
Cons
Travel
Management has NO CLUE
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kamloops BC26 April 2017
Great group of people to work with at the grunt level. Management is always pushing you to circumvent safety and Transport Canada regulations. Of course YOU take the fall for it. No regard for CVSA regulations. You are expected to lie about and fudge your CVSA log books. Advancement to management is all about nepotism and who's boots you lick. 90 percent of managers are inept and horribly unqualified to make any sort of decision and consequently make a mess of everything. It's a miracle this industry even survives with the way things are run. It's a dinosaur culture.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, working outdoors
Cons
Lack of safety, Management has ZERO integrity and no regard for life.
liked working here
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2017
this was a good place to work and I enjoyed it very much . The job was seasonal and I had to move on to support my family.There was a lot of out of town work which makes it hard on the family . I would recommend this job to a young person who is starting out and is still single
Mechanic
A mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2017
Horrible place. you will be required to travel on your own time. to get to your work location. No coveralls micro managed. a track maintainer will make more annually then a mechanic. Getting the little things like gloves can be difficult. Not a good fit for a married family man as you will never be home. will be home maybe 8 days a month. they preach safety unless it costs money. There are many places to work skip this one
Pros
pension
Cons
Lies and getting tools for the job or even doing your job
My summary
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 April 2017
I really enjoy this job, beacuse it taught me al lot about how to connect train carts, and to inspect it the trains before departure. Also taught me how to work well as a team.
Very Hard life style
Locamotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 April 2017
Very hard life style
The pay is good and beniffits need to be greatly improved, cn rails attendence management system is something else. You are oncall 24/7 with very little to no notice of working. You will be driving into work already fatigued and you will have to work the next 8 to 12 hours oneway also gone from home typicaly 28 hours " 50 hours was my maximum tour of duty.
Missed calls, sick days or unfit for duty is frownd upon by cn rail and resualts in discipline
Enjoyed my the work enviroment
Labourer, Equipt operator, Assist Buyer and C S R (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
I enjoyed the different positions that I held at CN. Worked my way up from a Labourer to Stock Selector, Clerk, Assisstant Buyer to Customer Support Rep.
Work Life Balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON2 April 2017
A lot of great opportunities for those willing to travel and take on rotating shift work.
Work, life, balance is something to consider before applying as this company does run on a 24/7 schedule.
great job lousy management
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC29 March 2017
Management doesn't know how to treat employees with respect. No work life balance. The work itself is enjoyable. I have learned a lot working here but the environment is toxic. If you are an outdoors person you will truly enjoy the work.
nice place, loads of opportunity
Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
work place is focused on safety and productivity. I found working at CN very fun and challenging in its own ways. Lots of staff to contact for assistance.
Pros
a good performing company
Cons
seniority based
Team spirit
End-User Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 March 2017
Team dynamic and chemistry really is what made a difference during long days of tedious labor but is also what pushed me to thrive in this domain; not to mention being given the knowledge that really enriched my horizons. The managers' dedication to the employees in the 'workshop' was what really helped keep a close-knit unit, making sure everyone feels safe and happy.
Pros
Schedule trade-offs, benefits, good people
workplace focused on safety and productivity
Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
Doing a job safely is always an important part of the daily working activities. Doing a job efficiently and economically is also important, but not is safety is affected.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
long hours away from home
Good for a young man or women
work equipment supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 March 2017
The pay is very good, but you are away from home most of the time. The engineering department is especially bad for taking people away from home. The union employees have usually 5 or less days off during the summer work season. Management is required much more than that, to the point if you do not work 60+ hours a week you are shunned as lazy.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
away from home
Very poor management, bad shifts
Railcar Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Mechanical department:
Very, very poor management. Supervisors hired without experience and taught to lie and cut corners to get the job done fast due to a "productivity bonus" for supervisors only and a lack of any "safety bonus". The employees doing the work get no type of bonus. Told we would get help transferring across Canada But was denied when my family tried. Very few people with high enough seniority to get weekends off. I have been there 5 years and I can only do 12am-8am with Tuesday Wednesday off and still nowhere close to a weekend or even a day shift. It's Shift work with no understanding from supervisors. Don't expect to be able to go to your kids hockey games or birthdays because they don't allow it . No sick days and harassment and investigations leading to demerits when a sick day is needed. Employees are expected to buy all their own work clothes and safety equipment. All around very poor lifestyle when you work at CN (railcar mechanic). If you like having and or seeing you're family or friends, or having hobbies / enjoy sports or activities then CN is NOT the job for you. The pay is good and two weeks vacation is OK but not worth being treated like dirt every day for.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Almost everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7