Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Union enviroment, many good people, excellent training, very hands on, but also the most beautiful scenery you will ever see!
CN Maintenance / Ambassador for hiring (Current Employee) –  Alberta14 January 2017
Excellent over all. Manual labor, great training, many great people to work with, Union, with a chance to explore and work in many of the most beautiful areas anywhere in Canada, if you wish to relocate anywhere! Great for someone who appreciates the beauty of nature and breathing clean air!
Pros
Beautiful scenery, very hands on and Union.
Cons
Not many, lol.
Top Heavy Company
Prefer Not To Tell (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 January 2017
Always low staff so job/life balance is not that great and the railroad is a 24/7 365 day operation so the chances you will be called in is high.

Its a very top heavy company to many managers things never get done because of it. By the time a problem reaches the top guy, it's been filtered so many times nothing ever changes. And that applies to when you do a good or bad job. However, bad jobs have a way of making it to the top a little faster.

Moreover, don't forget its all about who you know and which rear end you kiss, hard work does not get you ahead in this company you have been warned.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Terrible Management
Big Changes try and keep up or you will be cut
Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2016
day would start by sifting thru 121 emails and then running out the door. As a supervisor you are not given breaks you are required to oversee up to 20 people and if something goes wrong they ask WHY you were not looking at the issue even if it was unforeseeable.

overall it is not bad if you are not wanting to see your family and friends.
Pros
Retirment plan if you can make it
Cons
Read the Peter Principle it explains how managment is working
good pay, no team moral
locamotive conductor/yard forman/switchman (Current Employee) –  Ontario12 November 2016
No drive todo your best. Most of the time you put your life on the line evwryday so managment can collect a bonus. If the shareholders, and the public knew how they treated there employees. They would be discusted. Harassed on a daily bassis. Bullying and intimidation on a daily basis. They try to hide behind safety. But if you are behind they rushyou by following you around and bothering you on the radio. Horrible work enviorment. I love what i do, i just hate the people ihave to deal with.
Pros
pay
Cons
horrible managment
Fast paced and very important industry, your time and work invested in this job can have big and positive impacts
Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario29 November 2016
-Tough working hour, weekends, nights, stat holidays;
-Learned about the industry inside and out, fascinating industry
-Management tends to latch on to good employees making career progression difficult for your intended direction
Pros
Excellent Compensation and benefits
Cons
Sporadic working hours
Good job with great coworkers, good pay
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
I enjoy working at CN rail with great people and good wages and benefits. During my time at CN it seemed like Manegment was out to over discipline transportation employees, they even had a budget for it. It made it hard to work with them, when all we wanted was to get along and go home safe. I'm looking for a new career with good wages and room for advancement.
Pros
wages
Cons
no schedule
Committed to success and organizational grown
Senior Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Throughout my career with CN, I've been fortunate to have the ability to extensively grown within the organization, as well as expand my knowledge and expertise through a vast array of in house management and transportation courses.
Pros
The opportunity for advancement
Lazy
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON6 January 2017
Over paid under worked in trained incompetent lack of knowledge and wast of future job for someone who cares about the work they take pride in doing
Pros
Over payed
Cons
Whatcha your back very sharp knives people don't like change and or work
Tons of money, Zero Life
Freight conductor (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2016
was a freight conductor for two years.You more or less just slept or went to work. Layoffs are common and expect to move around the country anywhere from 1 week to 7 weeks at a time. Hard life to live and not for everyone. Great money and benefits if you can stick it out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, management is out to get you, management is as knowledgeable as a rock
good work and stable job with the right amount of seniority.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Quebec6 July 2016
CN is a fast paced business and you are always on the go. A lot of the times I would sign in at home and continue to work. The customers are demanding but if you have a good relationship with them it all works out. Lots of staff to contact for assistance, benefits were great and pay was amazing to start.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, unionized work.
Independence and Ownership
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Canora, SK10 July 2016
Through the course of my career between both railroads, I have had the opportunity to develop. Beginning as a track laborer with CP, growing into a track foreman, then accepting an assistant track supervisor job in 2013. I enjoyed both the independence of the job as well as the team work between my management team. Assigning, and prioritizing tasks for work crews was a daily activity. Track inspections in adverse weather conditions was at times challenging, but rewarding knowing I had a role that made a difference to the industry and the company.

My relationships between, union, non union employees, from engineering/maintenance employees, transportation, and operational employees was of great significance to me. I will always cherish those relations.
Pros
independence
Cons
weather, materials and employee shortage
Best to work elsewhere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 June 2016
Employees are shown little to no respect. Money is good but NO time off or YOUR FIRED.

I learned that it is an American owned and run company despite the name. Hardest part was trying but never meeting the unachievable set goals.

No one can be trust and they only hire people with few skills so they can keep you off balance with threats of being fired.

I did have skills and left...feel sorry for the others that have to stick it out for a pay cheque.
Pros
Good wage but thats where it ends
Cons
Bully type management
Confusion and no reasoning
A mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 November 2016
Management so out of touch it's painful look for something else . Save yourself from losing touch with family and friends. Will never apply or recommend this company to anyone
terrible company
Operator and Track Maintenance Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
go slaray though which is nice. managment is terrribe and expect to work in the freezing cold in alberta on a 10 - 4 cycle. so if you dont like having a life then go for it
Demanding
Assistant Track Supervisor- Engineering (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
In this front line supervisor role it is an extremely demanding role. You are involved in pretty much every aspect you can think of, from budgets to project management
CN was a very innovative fast paced envirnoment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 August 2016
Dealt with customers daily both assigned and through the 1-800 line
Customer Service department was a great team and dealt with the unpredictable world of railroading as problems arose.
Machinist/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB, St. John's, Nfld, Toronto, ON.31 May 2016
Worked rebuilding locomotives. Welded when it was required. Learned a lot and still love learning new jobs. Management didn't have to spend much time around me because I am a self starter and love new challenges. The hardest part I find about any job is going home because I love working. And I love working in a group environment because I am a team player.
Pros
Machinist/H.D. Mechanic /Red Seal Millwright
Cons
worked regular shifts and overtime when I could get it
Life sucks, money good
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Melville, SK31 October 2016
Company is large so many jobs available. Conductor work leaves you with no life but the money is tolerable.

Management grinds you to the bone with little appreciation.
Face paced work, time line to get trains build and out
GROUNDSMAN/TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 July 2016
I found working at CN Intermodal very fun and challenging in its own ways. Its a non stop always moving environment with many challenges. Safety is #1 for everyone
Pros
great pay, benefits, perks, pension
Cons
Management needs improvement
Hard place to work
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 August 2016
Hard place to work, great rewards if you are willing to sacrifice time for money.

The benefits do not outweigh the cons in this company. hard place to make a living
Pros
they pay for all expenses
Cons
long hours, little appreciation

2.7