Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

its ok its where your working
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lillooet, BC2 August 2017
depending on where you working and who is your supavisor or ats .some are just looking for people to fire to look good to hire ups. others are great teachers to learn from.
Pros
money stock options
Cons
people out to ding you with brownies
Excellent Experience
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 July 2017
Worked as a broker at CNTL. learned a lot from last 11 years to handle different problem with customers and solve it in time frame. Road experience with different equipment was excellent.
Occuper un poste à temps plein au CN signifie un travail jusqu'à la retraite
manager S&C (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2017
-Excellentes possibilités d'avancement
-Poste stables et pour longtemps
-Pas de monotonie
-Place pour l'innovation
-Excellent salaire
-Doit gérer le quotidien en fonction des besoins operationnels
-Doit supporter la pression
-Doit livrer en temps
-Doit toujours mettre la priorité sur la sécurité des infrastrictures et des employés
-Les gestionnaires doivent être disponibles en tout temps
-Doit suivre les développements technologiques
Pros
carrière intéressante, excellents revenus, stabilité, technologie
Cons
travailler dans toutes les conditions / neige / chaleur intense / pluie
No balance
Assistant Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2017
Average 14 hrs a day of work for 8 hrs pay. The work culture is very aggressive from upper management and you realize quickly that you do not matter as an individual.
Wonderful Place to work
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2017
I had my first work experience here when I was 17 and stayed 24 years.

Great company that was a crown corporation then a private enterprise. I enjoyed the people and the exciting work here.
High pace safe work place.
Trainmaster (Former Employee) –  Melville, SK11 July 2017
day would would start with mornng group call going over the days plan.
learned how to manage over 300 workers.
safe work place.
hardest part long days
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Long hours with little days off.
fun place to work
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 July 2017
great place to work, always had fun. Management is a bit difficult at times but the wage and benefits are fantastic. if you like to work in a fast paced ever learning environment CN is the place for you
Mechanic
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2017
Cn rail is an excellent job for security. it is not for family life. It is very unsafe, disorganized and full of confusion and BS. not a company i would recommend.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 June 2017
Retired from CN Rail as conductor and locomotive engineer with 36 yrs of service. Currently 58 yrs old looking to work some more years in railway industry. Worked lots of yard switching and main line work as locomotive engineer.
Great company - Job security
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 June 2017
Great company - Job security - work life balance - decent benefits

It is not easy to get promotions

Base salary that you start with is the most important thing at CN. If you start with a good base , you are good for ever.
Good pay & benefits, but its not all sunshine and rainbows...
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Melville, SK11 June 2017
CN has a great extensive training program for new conductors. They fly you to Winnipeg if you hire in Canada, and you're there 7 weeks. They pay for flights, hotel the whole time, and all meals, plus pay you a weekly salary for attending class 5 days a week. During those 7 weeks though, they make CN sound like the best company to work for ever.

Sure, you read online and hear about the on call 24/7/365 thing, and for the most part, with exceptions, that's true. It wouldn't be a huge issue for single guys like me, or even family men, if their train lineups were accurate ever... you'll show going out at 6am so you decide to go to bed at 10pm to be tested. Suddenly your phone rings to go work for 12 hours on a train at 11pm. If you say no, you're hauled in for an investigation and discipline.

If management would update the lineups and not hide random trains on lineups, we would have a better idea when we're going to work.

You do make good money. Will you make over $100,000 a year as a conductor? Not at the beginning, unless you go to a few select terminals like McLennan or Roma Junction where they're always short guys and pay a very good salary to entice people up there. But for other terminals, you could make 75% of that, but after a few years, you definitely could make 6 figures.

It's definitely not your average job and it is what you make of it. But I'm posting this at 4am, because I'm awake waiting for my next call to take a train. That should tell you what to expect from this career.....
Pros
Pay, benefits, coworkers, training program
Cons
Management, never know when youll work
Poor employee respect
Railway Car Technician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2017
I would love the job if they could accommodate to the employes more. I have been on nights with Tuesday Wednesday off for 3 years and and scheduled to be so for the next 20 plus years. Untill I am able to bid a regualr shift. With a young family at home this schedule dose not work for us. I have never spent a Christmas day with my son due to working over time pulling doubles and filling in shifts for the higher sonority employees. I am ready for a change for the better to improve my career choices and see my family .
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2017
Working in management, the company expects their pound of flesh. Their are exceptionally long hours with minimal guidance but high expectations. There is always pressure. I mostly enjoyed my job, it can be unrelenting at times but the job satisfaction is good, when you are given the tie and resources to complete it.
Great company to work for!
Train Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 May 2017
I think if you are ready to begin a career and you are lucky enough to get hired on, this job is probably one of the best opportunities you could have!
Pros
Benefits, Great work environment, Opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Maybe the hours.
Awesome student job
CN autoramp (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC12 May 2017
Get to drive amazing cars all day long
pay is fantastic
work is very laid back and relaxed
can sometimes be stressful because you cannot damage the cars
Pros
salary
Cons
outdoor weather condition
Middle management
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 May 2017
Arrived at work- went into the office to find out if I had to go out of town complete miscellaneous work, Plan day around travel.
Hardest part was planning work around weather.
Best part of the job was working with people day in and day out.
Pros
Wage and Benefits
Cons
Travel
Management has NO CLUE
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kamloops BC26 April 2017
Great group of people to work with at the grunt level. Management is always pushing you to circumvent safety and Transport Canada regulations. Of course YOU take the fall for it. No regard for CVSA regulations. You are expected to lie about and fudge your CVSA log books. Advancement to management is all about nepotism and who's boots you lick. 90 percent of managers are inept and horribly unqualified to make any sort of decision and consequently make a mess of everything. It's a miracle this industry even survives with the way things are run. It's a dinosaur culture.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, working outdoors
Cons
Lack of safety, Management has ZERO integrity and no regard for life.
liked working here
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2017
this was a good place to work and I enjoyed it very much . The job was seasonal and I had to move on to support my family.There was a lot of out of town work which makes it hard on the family . I would recommend this job to a young person who is starting out and is still single
Mechanic
A mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2017
Horrible place. you will be required to travel on your own time. to get to your work location. No coveralls micro managed. a track maintainer will make more annually then a mechanic. Getting the little things like gloves can be difficult. Not a good fit for a married family man as you will never be home. will be home maybe 8 days a month. they preach safety unless it costs money. There are many places to work skip this one
Pros
pension
Cons
Lies and getting tools for the job or even doing your job
My summary
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 April 2017
I really enjoy this job, beacuse it taught me al lot about how to connect train carts, and to inspect it the trains before departure. Also taught me how to work well as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7