Canadian National Railway Employee Review

View all Canadian National Railway reviews

Great pay, good job but they own you.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2013
I worked there over one summer as a conductor trainee. From the first encounter with a trainmaster, I got the feeling I was disposable. I was fired in the fall for the actions of another employee that they mistook as me. No warning and no investigation to my alleged demeanor. My many pleas to the company and union fell on deaf ears despite irrefutable evidence. Every employee at CN can be replaced and they make you know it. Even 30+ year veterans get the boot when they don't tow the company line. Just a warning, never take them lightly, and never give them anything to burn you with. As many in the company say; they'll spend one thousands to train you and the next 30 years trying to fire you.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, good coworkers, interesting work
Cons
Immature management, no job security, highly irregular hours

Other Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Thermite wielder/Track maintainer (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 February 2018
I worked primarily in Northern Ontario, I found the travel was too much for my young family and felt I needed to work closer to home. The hardest part of the job was driving ten or more hours to get to a job site. Then driving home for a four day weekend every two weeks. Management could be hard to reach at times, but seemed to be fair in most situations. The best part of the job was seeing some of Northern Ontario. .
Pros
Pay was very good lots of overtime.
Cons
Northern Travel was hard on my vehicle
Demanding job but with big opportunities
Engineering Supervisor- Track and Roadways (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2018
Good company with good people , very demanding work schedule as we are on call 24/7. Rewarding you keep grounded and don’t let things get to you too much

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.