Canadian National Railway Employee Review

View all Canadian National Railway reviews

Great pay, good job but they own you.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2013
I worked there over one summer as a conductor trainee. From the first encounter with a trainmaster, I got the feeling I was disposable. I was fired in the fall for the actions of another employee that they mistook as me. No warning and no investigation to my alleged demeanor. My many pleas to the company and union fell on deaf ears despite irrefutable evidence. Every employee at CN can be replaced and they make you know it. Even 30+ year veterans get the boot when they don't tow the company line. Just a warning, never take them lightly, and never give them anything to burn you with. As many in the company say; they'll spend one thousands to train you and the next 30 years trying to fire you.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, good coworkers, interesting work
Cons
Immature management, no job security, highly irregular hours

Other Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Efficient company
Electrical/mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON9 December 2017
A great career choice with many departments to chose from, from mechanical, electrical, engineering to transportation and more. CN is in the top 100 employers.
Pros
Too many
Cons
Shift work
Not ideal for mechanic at system engineering
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 December 2017
Buttweld area is un healthy, lots of smoke coming from the machine, environment and the machine is dusty and dirty, not good to inhale those fumes coming out of the machine. Lots of outdoor repairs too and it's not good during winter time. Pay is not great, lots of companies out there that pay more if you have a red seal. Older mechanic do less and will take advantage of the new hire.
Pros
Pension only if you start at early age, good only for laborer where they can get high hourly rate compare to other company
Cons
30% only covered for safety shoes, no tool allowance, dirty place and outdoor work at extreme temperature, not enough time for family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7