Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

liked working here
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 April 2017
this was a good place to work and I enjoyed it very much . The job was seasonal and I had to move on to support my family.There was a lot of out of town work which makes it hard on the family . I would recommend this job to a young person who is starting out and is still single
Mechanic
A mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2017
Horrible place. you will be required to travel on your own time. to get to your work location. No coveralls micro managed. a track maintainer will make more annually then a mechanic. Getting the little things like gloves can be difficult. Not a good fit for a married family man as you will never be home. will be home maybe 8 days a month. they preach safety unless it costs money. There are many places to work skip this one
Pros
pension
Cons
Lies and getting tools for the job or even doing your job
My summary
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 April 2017
I really enjoy this job, beacuse it taught me al lot about how to connect train carts, and to inspect it the trains before departure. Also taught me how to work well as a team.
Very Hard life style
Locamotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 April 2017
Very hard life style
The pay is good and beniffits need to be greatly improved, cn rails attendence management system is something else. You are oncall 24/7 with very little to no notice of working. You will be driving into work already fatigued and you will have to work the next 8 to 12 hours oneway also gone from home typicaly 28 hours " 50 hours was my maximum tour of duty.
Missed calls, sick days or unfit for duty is frownd upon by cn rail and resualts in discipline
Enjoyed my the work enviroment
Labourer, Equipt operator, Assist Buyer and C S R (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
I enjoyed the different positions that I held at CN. Worked my way up from a Labourer to Stock Selector, Clerk, Assisstant Buyer to Customer Support Rep.
Work Life Balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON2 April 2017
A lot of great opportunities for those willing to travel and take on rotating shift work.
Work, life, balance is something to consider before applying as this company does run on a 24/7 schedule.
great job lousy management
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC29 March 2017
Management doesn't know how to treat employees with respect. No work life balance. The work itself is enjoyable. I have learned a lot working here but the environment is toxic. If you are an outdoors person you will truly enjoy the work.
nice place, loads of opportunity
Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
work place is focused on safety and productivity. I found working at CN very fun and challenging in its own ways. Lots of staff to contact for assistance.
Pros
a good performing company
Cons
seniority based
Team spirit
End-User Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 March 2017
Team dynamic and chemistry really is what made a difference during long days of tedious labor but is also what pushed me to thrive in this domain; not to mention being given the knowledge that really enriched my horizons. The managers' dedication to the employees in the 'workshop' was what really helped keep a close-knit unit, making sure everyone feels safe and happy.
Pros
Schedule trade-offs, benefits, good people
workplace focused on safety and productivity
Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
Doing a job safely is always an important part of the daily working activities. Doing a job efficiently and economically is also important, but not is safety is affected.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits
Cons
long hours away from home
Good for a young man or women
work equipment supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 March 2017
The pay is very good, but you are away from home most of the time. The engineering department is especially bad for taking people away from home. The union employees have usually 5 or less days off during the summer work season. Management is required much more than that, to the point if you do not work 60+ hours a week you are shunned as lazy.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
away from home
Very poor management, bad shifts
Railcar Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Mechanical department:
Very, very poor management. Supervisors hired without experience and taught to lie and cut corners to get the job done fast due to a "productivity bonus" for supervisors only and a lack of any "safety bonus". The employees doing the work get no type of bonus. Told we would get help transferring across Canada But was denied when my family tried. Very few people with high enough seniority to get weekends off. I have been there 5 years and I can only do 12am-8am with Tuesday Wednesday off and still nowhere close to a weekend or even a day shift. It's Shift work with no understanding from supervisors. Don't expect to be able to go to your kids hockey games or birthdays because they don't allow it . No sick days and harassment and investigations leading to demerits when a sick day is needed. Employees are expected to buy all their own work clothes and safety equipment. All around very poor lifestyle when you work at CN (railcar mechanic). If you like having and or seeing you're family or friends, or having hobbies / enjoy sports or activities then CN is NOT the job for you. The pay is good and two weeks vacation is OK but not worth being treated like dirt every day for.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Almost everything
Rules and efficiency tests
Intermodal Lead Hand Operations (Former Employee) –  Symington Yards - Winnipeg Manitoba21 February 2017
Safe work rule compliance and performance must be 100%. Efficiency testing of employees conducted by Management daily to maintain this percentage. Failed rules observed are tracked.
Great place long hours abused by management
Railway conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2017
Worked here three years as a conductor. Amazing pay for what you do . Management does not care for you nor is under pressure by upper management to beat down on the lower employees. Could be better if the guys at the top were not a giant boys club. No room for advancement they hire people off the street to manage a railway. Ex . McDonalds manager telling 35yesr employees they are wrong when it comes to certain thing s in the railway
Pros
Great pay . Good holiday amounts
Cons
Seniority based . Poor management
decent, no work life balance
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB13 February 2017
worth it, good job, decent crews, management can be a bit roughshod and the hours can be brutal. overall, if you want to make money fast,, yeah, if you want a decent home life or have children no
Employee safety number one priority
Intermodal Lead Hand Operations (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2017
CN allows you to take control of your career. Service commitment to customers is strongly supported through employee performance tracking and development.
Pros
Above average wage grade
Cons
Various shifts
Was a fun place to work one time.
Car mechanic: halifax, ns (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 February 2017
Put in 40 years and last 10 were the worst. Incompetent front line management that seemed to take pride in making life miserable. When I retired from CN not one person from the company came to see me off or say good bye or thank me for my service. Shame on you CN. First thirty were fun and good and you took pride in your work. It all went the last date of my career in Car Shop Halifax.
Pros
Your work mates were like family
Cons
Uncaring, Incompetent front line management who went out of their way to cause friction with employees.
Terrible team lead
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2017
terrible, mean team lead,
micromanagement,
very lazy and sloppy work environment,
If you stand at port of HQ, there are continuous people coming in and out to buy coffee, shopping, etc.
Negative work culture, good co workers
Diesel Engine Mechanic Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2017
Shift work is required, shop runs 24/7- main reason for leaving. Very poor work culture, immediate co workers were overall good to work with. Shop could be cleaner overall.
Pros
Great RRSP plan
Cons
Shift work 24/7, do not send mechanics for apprentice training
Good money, Lots to learn.
Contract Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
You definitely earn your money. Company significantly downsized over the years and is now strictly railway - no hotels or passenger trains.
Pros
Great Safety program.
Cons
Heavy workload.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7