Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews in Canada

Best to work elsewhere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 18, 2016
Employees are shown little to no respect. Money is good but NO time off or YOUR FIRED.

I learned that it is an American owned and run company despite the name. Hardest part was trying but never meeting the unachievable set goals.

No one can be trust and they only hire people with few skills so they can keep you off balance with threats of being fired.

I did have skills and left...feel sorry for the others that have to stick it out for a pay cheque.
Pros
Good wage but thats where it ends
Cons
Bully type management
Machinist/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB, St. John's, Nfld, Toronto, ON.May 31, 2016
Worked rebuilding locomotives. Welded when it was required. Learned a lot and still love learning new jobs. Management didn't have to spend much time around me because I am a self starter and love new challenges. The hardest part I find about any job is going home because I love working. And I love working in a group environment because I am a team player.
Pros
Machinist/H.D. Mechanic /Red Seal Millwright
Cons
worked regular shifts and overtime when I could get it
Busy but great place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
CN is a fast paced business and you are always on the go. A lot of the times I would sign in at home and continue to work. The customers are demanding but if you have a good relationship with them it all works out. Lots of staff to contact for assistance, benefits were great and pay was amazing to start.
Pros
Great Salaries
Cons
Lots of work, very demanding
Good job.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Capreol, ONMay 27, 2016
Good all around job, job security wasn't the greatest. On call 24/7, no schedule, money was good. Management was good, seemed to show interest in work we were doing, co-workers all worked together with very little friction, hardest part of job would be the hours, most enjoyable is the end result.
Pros
Good benefits, salary, work
Cons
layoffs.
A great place to earn a high salary, if you don't get laid off
Conductor (Former Employee) –  McLennan, ABMay 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for CN, although it was too short. I made the switch to CN from bar management as I was/am ready for a career to last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, even moving 2000km away from home couldn't guarantee my position with how low my seniority was.
fun place to work. disconnect between management and employees
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 22, 2016
I love the job, it's active, it's fun, you're always learning, you get to see a bunch of cool things. I would recommend this job to anyone but there's a huge disconnect between management and union employees.
Great company
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 17, 2016
Help fellow Canadian National Railway employees on a 24/7 support with any issues they are having whether its hardware or software related.
Many fond memories while there.
Assistant Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 12, 2016
Generally a good employer, and good people to work with. Long work days, working days off, stress and a change of the culture would be cons.
no work/life balance
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
Been working as a conductor for cn rail for 2.5 years now and have been on call 24/7. they dont care about your personal life, if you dont answer your phone they move on they dont pay you and you go under investigation. company is poorly managed. but good pay, decent benifits and good people.
Pros
pay
Cons
on call 24/7, management is against you.
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits.. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move with
Customer Service Rep/Accts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move
Pros
Fun job, fast paced, very rewarding
Cons
Unionized, never knew when you could get "bumped".
Professionalism begets professionalism
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 27, 2016
Very secure career with great benefits. Working hours vary but wages make up for it. Ability to transfer to different departments. EFAP program is a nice touch. Employees take their jobs very seriously.
Pros
Safe place to work
Cons
Inclement weather
working out doors in all types of weather
Group 2 Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  CanadaApril 18, 2016
Fast paced working environment. Usually working with tight deadlines due to lack of track time. Management and co-workers are great to work for and with. Most of the time working in very isolated locations across Canada though mostly thoughout Ontario. Being away from home is the hardest part of working for CNR. The pay and benefits along with the physically demanding aspect of the job are definate pros. for me.
Terrible Management but great company otherwise
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BCApril 8, 2016
The benefits were alright, the pay was great, and the people I worked with were awesome. Management, however, was not. The supervisors would literally hide in bushes or on a nearby hill with binoculars or fly in helicopters to catch their employees doing things wrong. It was ridiculous to see the lengths they'd go to strike the fear of being fired into people even though it was laughably easy to stay on with the Union.
Amazing time and taking care of
Contractor at CN Rail. Operator of a skid steer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2016
Cleared snow in a industrail railway system. Learned to work with multiple teams. Learned how to be safe working with heavy equipment and trains. When you worked long hours Foreman bought the workers food. Co-workers are great to work with. Everyone working together to get the job done. Hardest part is having to deal with break downs with equipment. The co-workers were the best!
Pros
People and Work
Run, run away!
Electrical Apprentice Edmonton, Alta (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
By far the most dysfunctional workplace I have ever been a part of. Also by far the most unhappy, depressing place (diesel shop edmonton) I have ever worked at. Upper, upper management is aware how bad things are but do nothing about it.

Unless you are desperate, I would not recommend working for CN. Better yet, talk to some present employees before you take any position with them.
Don't do it, It's a trap!
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 28, 2016
The pay is great, the lifestyle is okay if you have the right seniority.
Upper management displaced from reality, manipulating budgets for own personal gain.
Very low employee morality.
Exciting and fast paced work environment
Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
A great place to work for someone who likes thinking outside the box and a fast paced environment. Compensation is appropriate for the amount of dedication required for all positions.
good work and stable job with the right amount of seniority.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Capreol, ONJanuary 27, 2016
- Over all a day at work is somewhat challenging and rewarding when working in the yard and have deadlines to meet.
- Long hauls are a nice break from the daily grind but also come with some stressors.
- Preparations and communication amongst the crew is typically very well established.
- A wide range of experience can be found within terminals, which leads to new practices and knowledge.
- Most enjoyable part of this job is the time off between shifts.
Pros
good pay and time off
Cons
long hours and unpredicatble
CN Conductor
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 15, 2016
You live to work.

Then you get laid off and you can't live.

Very true they spend $50k training you and then $100k trying to fire you.

Toxic Management. Continually steal money from workers and break agreements.
Pros
eventually good pay
Cons
everything but the pay
hard job on personal life
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2016
getting called 2 hours before the start of your shift, never knowing when exactly you are going to be working next. Learned how to control a train and run the train from point a to b.

Management likes things done a certain way. always worried about getting the job done on time even if it may not be the safest or right way to do things.

co-workers were awesome to work with on a daily basis. always there to help you if you needed help.

hardest part is the late night shifts when you are not expecting to go to work and then you get called with little to no rest.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
on call all the time hard to plan a life around work.