Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Everything is horrible except the pay
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 October 2016
STAY AWAY!
- the management is utterly the worst I have ever experienced. They have NO KNOWLEDGE IN EVEN WHAT THEY ARE SUPERVISING. They praise you with ridicule are demeaning and try to find a reason to fire you. Coming in everyday to a demanding job to walk on pins and needles worried about being fired because most of the management are on power trips is the most stressful work atmosphere ever. They have quotas they have to reach each month to rate a certain amount of people negatively.
-management is more concerned about their yearly bonuses then the welfare of their employees.
-you constantly have to be worried about not IF but WHEN you'll be laid off.
- The hours are ridiculous (if you have a family don't expect to see them and don't expect to have a life). You can be on shift work and two hour call outs. No choice but to work every weekend and holiday unless you been there for 20years.
-you wonder why the pay is decent because if it wasn't nobody would work there and THATS A FACT.
I'd much rather take a pay cut then ever go back to this place.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Ridiculous hours, stressful atmosphere, horrible and incompetent management, absolutely no life
Fast paced and very important industry, your time and work invested in this job can have big and positive impacts
Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario29 November 2016
-Tough working hour, weekends, nights, stat holidays;
-Learned about the industry inside and out, fascinating industry
-Management tends to latch on to good employees making career progression difficult for your intended direction
Pros
Excellent Compensation and benefits
Cons
Sporadic working hours
Independence and Ownership
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Canora, SK10 July 2016
Through the course of my career between both railroads, I have had the opportunity to develop. Beginning as a track laborer with CP, growing into a track foreman, then accepting an assistant track supervisor job in 2013. I enjoyed both the independence of the job as well as the team work between my management team. Assigning, and prioritizing tasks for work crews was a daily activity. Track inspections in adverse weather conditions was at times challenging, but rewarding knowing I had a role that made a difference to the industry and the company.

My relationships between, union, non union employees, from engineering/maintenance employees, transportation, and operational employees was of great significance to me. I will always cherish those relations.
Pros
independence
Cons
weather, materials and employee shortage
Tons of money, Zero Life
Freight conductor (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2016
was a freight conductor for two years.You more or less just slept or went to work. Layoffs are common and expect to move around the country anywhere from 1 week to 7 weeks at a time. Hard life to live and not for everyone. Great money and benefits if you can stick it out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, management is out to get you, management is as knowledgeable as a rock
Supervisor
Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 July 2016
Long hours are required of management. Pay is not competitive. Opportunity for advancement if you relocate. Ok benefits. Support is good from middle management.
Good job with great coworkers, good pay
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
I enjoy working at CN rail with great people and good wages and benefits. During my time at CN it seemed like Manegment was out to over discipline transportation employees, they even had a budget for it. It made it hard to work with them, when all we wanted was to get along and go home safe. I'm looking for a new career with good wages and room for advancement.
Pros
wages
Cons
no schedule
Committed to success and organizational grown
Senior Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Throughout my career with CN, I've been fortunate to have the ability to extensively grown within the organization, as well as expand my knowledge and expertise through a vast array of in house management and transportation courses.
Pros
The opportunity for advancement
Best to work elsewhere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 June 2016
Employees are shown little to no respect. Money is good but NO time off or YOUR FIRED.

I learned that it is an American owned and run company despite the name. Hardest part was trying but never meeting the unachievable set goals.

No one can be trust and they only hire people with few skills so they can keep you off balance with threats of being fired.

I did have skills and left...feel sorry for the others that have to stick it out for a pay cheque.
Pros
Good wage but thats where it ends
Cons
Bully type management
Good job.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Capreol, ON27 May 2016
Good all around job, job security wasn't the greatest. On call 24/7, no schedule, money was good. Management was good, seemed to show interest in work we were doing, co-workers all worked together with very little friction, hardest part of job would be the hours, most enjoyable is the end result.
Pros
Good benefits, salary, work
Cons
layoffs.
Terrible Management but great company otherwise
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC8 April 2016
The benefits were alright, the pay was great, and the people I worked with were awesome. Management, however, was not. The supervisors would literally hide in bushes or on a nearby hill with binoculars or fly in helicopters to catch their employees doing things wrong. It was ridiculous to see the lengths they'd go to strike the fear of being fired into people even though it was laughably easy to stay on with the Union.
good work and stable job with the right amount of seniority.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Quebec6 July 2016
CN is a fast paced business and you are always on the go. A lot of the times I would sign in at home and continue to work. The customers are demanding but if you have a good relationship with them it all works out. Lots of staff to contact for assistance, benefits were great and pay was amazing to start.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, unionized work.
Face paced work, time line to get trains build and out
GROUNDSMAN/TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 July 2016
I found working at CN Intermodal very fun and challenging in its own ways. Its a non stop always moving environment with many challenges. Safety is #1 for everyone
Pros
great pay, benefits, perks, pension
Cons
Management needs improvement
Hard place to work
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 August 2016
Hard place to work, great rewards if you are willing to sacrifice time for money.

The benefits do not outweigh the cons in this company. hard place to make a living
Pros
they pay for all expenses
Cons
long hours, little appreciation
CN RAIL = Just a pay cheque, no quality of life EVER
Various (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2016
Everyone talks about how great the pay is when working for this railway... however this company HAS to provide a good wage because otherwise nobody would want to work here. Ever.
Advice: STAY AWAY.

The main problem appears to be very bad/inexperienced management with front line Supervisors having zero experience. Since very few long-term employees want to accept a management position the company is reduced to hiring "off the street". This unfortunately amounts to bad decisions day in and day out with blame for errors or low productivity unfairly being directed to the unionized employees.

With over 30+ years of service with this company I can honestly say that my co-workers were great but the disappointing management has ruined a once great company.
Cons
Long hours, shift work your entire career, no family life. Ever.
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits.. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move with
Customer Service Rep/Accts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2016
Great company to work for, very supportive management, great benefits. Unfortunately, my department moved to Montrreal and I was unable to move
Pros
Fun job, fast paced, very rewarding
Cons
Unionized, never knew when you could get "bumped".
working out doors in all types of weather
Group 2 Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Canada18 April 2016
Fast paced working environment. Usually working with tight deadlines due to lack of track time. Management and co-workers are great to work for and with. Most of the time working in very isolated locations across Canada though mostly thoughout Ontario. Being away from home is the hardest part of working for CNR. The pay and benefits along with the physically demanding aspect of the job are definate pros. for me.
A great place to earn a high salary, if you don't get laid off
Conductor (Former Employee) –  McLennan, AB25 May 2016
I enjoyed working for CN, although it was too short. I made the switch to CN from bar management as I was/am ready for a career to last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, even moving 2000km away from home couldn't guarantee my position with how low my seniority was.
no work/life balance
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Been working as a conductor for cn rail for 2.5 years now and have been on call 24/7. they dont care about your personal life, if you dont answer your phone they move on they dont pay you and you go under investigation. company is poorly managed. but good pay, decent benifits and good people.
Pros
pay
Cons
on call 24/7, management is against you.
Don't expect a fair deal
Assistant Track Supervisor / Road Master (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 October 2015
Although this company is trying to change it's corporate culture it is too mired in the past to make any real gains.
Senior Managers (generally those who have been there 30 years) have a vested interest in keeping costs down as they are financially rewarded for reducing expenditures. The result is a lack of staff and equipment to make the job functional. It is like pulling teeth trying to get the proper tools for the job.
Additionally the management style is stuck in the 1970's. Very shouty. shouty and heavy into a blame culture. The first and most valuable lesson to learn is "trust no-one" (a direct quote from my regional chief).
If you do not want work/life balance and feel you deserve to be punished for things out of your control than apply here.
If you don't want to be on call 24 -7 and want to be able to sleep at night, look elsewhere.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Poor people Management and a non-existent work life balance
Professionalism begets professionalism
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2016
Very secure career with great benefits. Working hours vary but wages make up for it. Ability to transfer to different departments. EFAP program is a nice touch. Employees take their jobs very seriously.
Pros
Safe place to work
Cons
Inclement weather

2.7