Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Fast paced and very important industry, your time and work invested in this job can have big and positive impacts
Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario29 November 2016
-Tough working hour, weekends, nights, stat holidays;
-Learned about the industry inside and out, fascinating industry
-Management tends to latch on to good employees making career progression difficult for your intended direction
Pros
Excellent Compensation and benefits
Cons
Sporadic working hours
Committed to success and organizational grown
Senior Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2016
Throughout my career with CN, I've been fortunate to have the ability to extensively grown within the organization, as well as expand my knowledge and expertise through a vast array of in house management and transportation courses.
Pros
The opportunity for advancement
Confusion and no reasoning
A mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 November 2016
Management so out of touch it's painful look for something else . Save yourself from losing touch with family and friends. Will never apply or recommend this company to anyone
good pay, no team moral
locamotive conductor/yard forman/switchman (Current Employee) –  Ontario12 November 2016
No drive todo your best. Most of the time you put your life on the line evwryday so managment can collect a bonus. If the shareholders, and the public knew how they treated there employees. They would be discusted. Harassed on a daily bassis. Bullying and intimidation on a daily basis. They try to hide behind safety. But if you are behind they rushyou by following you around and bothering you on the radio. Horrible work enviorment. I love what i do, i just hate the people ihave to deal with.
Pros
pay
Cons
horrible managment
Life sucks, money good
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Melville, SK31 October 2016
Company is large so many jobs available. Conductor work leaves you with no life but the money is tolerable.

Management grinds you to the bone with little appreciation.
Great place to work and well compensated
train conductor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2016
Great place to work. Fun, interesting. the management - union thing was pretty stressful but other than that I loved the job
Everything is horrible except the pay
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 October 2016
STAY AWAY!
- the management is utterly the worst I have ever experienced. They have NO KNOWLEDGE IN EVEN WHAT THEY ARE SUPERVISING. They praise you with ridicule are demeaning and try to find a reason to fire you. Coming in everyday to a demanding job to walk on pins and needles worried about being fired because most of the management are on power trips is the most stressful work atmosphere ever. They have quotas they have to reach each month to rate a certain amount of people negatively.
-management is more concerned about their yearly bonuses then the welfare of their employees.
-you constantly have to be worried about not IF but WHEN you'll be laid off.
- The hours are ridiculous (if you have a family don't expect to see them and don't expect to have a life). You can be on shift work and two hour call outs. No choice but to work every weekend and holiday unless you been there for 20years.
-you wonder why the pay is decent because if it wasn't nobody would work there and THATS A FACT.
I'd much rather take a pay cut then ever go back to this place.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Ridiculous hours, stressful atmosphere, horrible and incompetent management, absolutely no life
Good job with great coworkers, good pay
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
I enjoy working at CN rail with great people and good wages and benefits. During my time at CN it seemed like Manegment was out to over discipline transportation employees, they even had a budget for it. It made it hard to work with them, when all we wanted was to get along and go home safe. I'm looking for a new career with good wages and room for advancement.
Pros
wages
Cons
no schedule
good place
conductor trainee (Former Employee) –  Biggar, SK7 September 2016
I thought it was great to work there I got layed off from there and moved elsewhere but overall not a bad place very nice people and they help you if need
Pros
nice employees
Cons
away from home long time
CN was a very innovative fast paced envirnoment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 August 2016
Dealt with customers daily both assigned and through the 1-800 line
Customer Service department was a great team and dealt with the unpredictable world of railroading as problems arose.
Boom Truck Operator/Welder/Track Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Various Locations11 August 2016
Great place to work. Great pay and benefits.
Having to drive long distance is the only bad part.
Great Vacation time and good overall work atmosphere.
Hard place to work
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK8 August 2016
Hard place to work, great rewards if you are willing to sacrifice time for money.

The benefits do not outweigh the cons in this company. hard place to make a living
Pros
they pay for all expenses
Cons
long hours, little appreciation
Supervisor
Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC11 July 2016
Long hours are required of management. Pay is not competitive. Opportunity for advancement if you relocate. Ok benefits. Support is good from middle management.
Tons of money, Zero Life
Freight conductor (Former Employee) –  Alberta11 July 2016
was a freight conductor for two years.You more or less just slept or went to work. Layoffs are common and expect to move around the country anywhere from 1 week to 7 weeks at a time. Hard life to live and not for everyone. Great money and benefits if you can stick it out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, management is out to get you, management is as knowledgeable as a rock
Independence and Ownership
Assistant Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Canora, SK10 July 2016
Through the course of my career between both railroads, I have had the opportunity to develop. Beginning as a track laborer with CP, growing into a track foreman, then accepting an assistant track supervisor job in 2013. I enjoyed both the independence of the job as well as the team work between my management team. Assigning, and prioritizing tasks for work crews was a daily activity. Track inspections in adverse weather conditions was at times challenging, but rewarding knowing I had a role that made a difference to the industry and the company.

My relationships between, union, non union employees, from engineering/maintenance employees, transportation, and operational employees was of great significance to me. I will always cherish those relations.
Pros
independence
Cons
weather, materials and employee shortage
Face paced work, time line to get trains build and out
GROUNDSMAN/TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 July 2016
I found working at CN Intermodal very fun and challenging in its own ways. Its a non stop always moving environment with many challenges. Safety is #1 for everyone
Pros
great pay, benefits, perks, pension
Cons
Management needs improvement
good work and stable job with the right amount of seniority.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Quebec6 July 2016
CN is a fast paced business and you are always on the go. A lot of the times I would sign in at home and continue to work. The customers are demanding but if you have a good relationship with them it all works out. Lots of staff to contact for assistance, benefits were great and pay was amazing to start.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, unionized work.
Best to work elsewhere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 June 2016
Employees are shown little to no respect. Money is good but NO time off or YOUR FIRED.

I learned that it is an American owned and run company despite the name. Hardest part was trying but never meeting the unachievable set goals.

No one can be trust and they only hire people with few skills so they can keep you off balance with threats of being fired.

I did have skills and left...feel sorry for the others that have to stick it out for a pay cheque.
Pros
Good wage but thats where it ends
Cons
Bully type management
Machinist/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB, St. John's, Nfld, Toronto, ON.31 May 2016
Worked rebuilding locomotives. Welded when it was required. Learned a lot and still love learning new jobs. Management didn't have to spend much time around me because I am a self starter and love new challenges. The hardest part I find about any job is going home because I love working. And I love working in a group environment because I am a team player.
Pros
Machinist/H.D. Mechanic /Red Seal Millwright
Cons
worked regular shifts and overtime when I could get it
Busy but great place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2016
Pros
Great Salaries
Cons
Lots of work, very demanding

2.7