Canadian National Exhibition Employee Reviews

A good job for the summer
Outdoor Concessions Vendor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2017
The typical day of work was exhausting, however, the people were comfortable to be around.

I learned basic skills such as public speaking and persuasive advertisement, how to solve problems, how to deal with customers, and how to handle money.

The hardest part of the job was the hours.
Very productive, extremly fast-paced.
staff and public (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
Working at the CNE was only a seasonal job but for the time I was there the work required a lot of hands on work and it was in a very fast-paced environmet. Some of my tasks included maintaing the cleanliness of the park grounds and making sure customer were assisted correctly.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Long hours, short breaks
From my Youth
Extravaganza Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2017
While I was in highschool I worked at CNE as a booth worker. This was actually my first job. Usually very simple after the rules are explained. Does not help that it happens in the dead of summer but it is good for business.
Labour intensive job
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2017
- On your feet for most of the day
- Little to no customer interaction
- Outside for most of the day
- Mainly individual tasks to be done
- Too many employees to create a tight working environment
Pros
Free entrance
Cons
Labour intensive
Great opportunity for students and anyone else
Paper Picker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2017
Great work environment and respect for the employees. The hours are great and the work is not overbearing. The other employees were great to work with. Gained experience in teamwork and communication skills.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2017
I was a newcomer at that time. I was very happy to find a job at CNE. I met different people with different culture. Sometimes I had
to move to different stores and I enjoyed it.
Pros
discounts employee
Cons
long hour
Horrible
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2017
It's basically slave work. We worked in the 30-degree sun for 7 hours with 2 15 minute breaks. if you are caught slacking you are fired.
Quick money but i don't recommend it.
Pros
Make new friends
Cons
Everything else
Fun
Food server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2017
It was the first job I had and I am grateful for the opportunity. Since this was a seasonal job it would be busy most of the time. The manager was always nice even when I made mistakes. They hire a lot of first time workers which is really beneficial to gain experience in the work field. The hardest part of the job was working 6 days a week but it was a fun experience nonetheless.
Interactive and Fun workplace
Info Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2017
A typical day at work as an Info Line Attendant starts with signing in at the QE building and turning on your computer/phone system. While you patiently wait for a call you get writing utensils, paper and the GO schedule handy for customer inquires. It is great that the workplace is filled with so much diversity and culture to learn about from your fellow coworkers at your lunch break. The hardest part of the job is answering call after call with no breaks. But the most enjoyable is listening to customers talk about their past memories at the CNE. At the end of the day all attendants sign out and turn off both phones and computers.
Pros
working with a friendly team
Cons
can be long hours
Fun environment for kids and employee's
AgVenture Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2017
Monitored a kids station by ensuring their safety and that they have a good time.
Amazing coworkers and supportive supervisors.
Create a positive environment that is enjoyable for everyone of all ages.
Super fun place to work in
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
I really had so much fun working here, so much things to do in your break time. Amazing management. Not a flexible job, but got a lot of hours within a short period of time.
Summer fair job
Gate Attendee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
lots of friendly people from co-workers to supervisors and upper management - good job culture

hardest part of the job was standing outside in hot weather for long periods of time

most enjoyable part of the job was free access to fair grounds and friendly co-workers
Cne
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2017
It was my first official job, the pay was good for a 16 year old and I got good hours. The management was nice and patient with training. The hardest part was impatient customers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long travel
Poorly managed, little regard for employees
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
I can't speak to the entirety of the CNE, but where I worked (in exhibition hall), it was a poorly managed, unnecessarily stressful work environment. It's sessional work and it is clear they do NOT care about employees at all. For 18 days I worked 6 hours a day with 30 min breaks each day (which was typical). They tried to stagger our breaks, but ended up scheduling some people to break 30 min into their shift and then working the rest of the day nonstop. Management got angry when we tried to switch break shifts with each other, even though it had no impact on our ability to man the exhibit. There were 3 managers for the exhibits and they were constantly breathing down our necks about things beyond our control. It seemed like their jobs were highly redundant: why were there 3 of them for a one person job? I got berated for things other staff members did, or things that had nothing to do with us at all (such as lack of traffic in our particular exhibit). Pay was minimum wage and no overtime pay despite working 40+ hrs/week for the 18 days (only exception was 1.5 pay on labour day). Basically they know that it's sessional work and employees have nowhere to formally complain about working environment so will likely just suck it up and not come back the following year.
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
tedious, long hours standing
Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
Hour are flexible, work schedule is a but unorganized. Supervisors and co-workers are friendly, and the pay is decent. A benefit is that you could go to CNE for free
Pros
free entrance
Had an amazing time!!!
Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
Everyday I would come to work and get to work with amazing staff. My manger was easy to talk to, very understanding and supported me when needed. You also get to be surrounded by endless fun working here.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
Distance
Good place to work for 2 weeks if you dont have another job.
Salesperson (Games) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2017
As the games attendant I had to spin the wheel and see where the arrows landed. The winner would get their original money multiplied by the number of arrows.
fun workplace
Game Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Very good workplace; most enjoyable part is colaborating with my co-workers; I learned that working here at CNE takes an enormous commitment. Working for long hours is not an easy thing
Fun place to work
Tickets Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
a typical day at work would be like, come in pick up your bag of money wait for your supervisor to assign you to a destination go, replace one of your coworkers, then work. break 15 twice a shift.
productive place
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical day at work was fast paced, my co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job was remembering multiple orders at the same time
Pros
great working environment
Cons
long, busy hours