Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews in Canada

puts our clients first
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
Great place that truly lives everyday by their vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. Our clients come first and the whole purpose of staff is to make sure our clients come first and are heard.
Pros
great benefits
I enjoyed work at this company very much
Receptionist/adminstrative assistant (Former Employee) –  ReceptionistJanuary 13, 2016
I started from a teller and end up being an analyst during the six years working in TD. I have learned a lot from TD supervisors and managers and developed essential skills to be able to work in any company for sales, customer service and administrative support role
Co-op position
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 24, 2015
I worked as a Recreational Worker within the Co-op program.

This was voluntary and assisted me in gaining experience within my field.
Pros
learned much about the position I was studying for
Cons
co-op, no pay
Team oriented, professional, and with out a doubt enjoyable and fun.
residential support worker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCNovember 4, 2015
The residents are extremely polite and decent human beings who deserve the right to a satisfactory quality of life, that of which my co-workers and myself deliver to them on a daily basis. Management is the best i have ever worked with as they send out emails daily regarding anything and everything the organization adapts to and makes each and every employee feel as needed as the other, no matter the position.
Pros
free meals, fun atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
Not Applicable
worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 5, 2015
Fun work place with supportive staff. Lots of training. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.
A Friendly and Inclusive workplace with grat learning opportinuties
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1200 Markham RoadSeptember 14, 2015
Working with more than 200 staffs from different backgrounds teaches you to appreciate and gain experience on how to interact and work with different ideas and different values working towards the goal. I gain not just experience but respect for every individual who walks by our office.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
1 Year Contrac
Awesome workplace and organization.
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 6, 2015
The Canadian Mental Health Association is a great organization and place to work. Very well educated staff who are very helpful to all of the clients. I had a very positive co-op experience there.
Continuous Active Training
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 14, 2015
There are opportunities to advance your skills with many workshops and special speakers brought to quarterly Team days. The client work can be very inspirational when you see progress. The staff are very friendly and act as good resources for each other.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
The wages aren't bad but they aren't the best either for the work conducted.
AMAZING PLACE
Relief Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 26, 2015
I loved my time at CMHA. The staff and managers are very respectful and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend working here.
Very supportive with work life balance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronnto, OntarioApril 6, 2015
I would have to say that ffom the time I started until now it has grown a lot, which means more hats to wear. Its non profit so the main focus is on funding for programs, there is not much room for advancement in the admin aspect. Its a very easy going atmosphere as far as anyone watching the clock...the main focus is your job gets done and if it does then no one really watches when you came in and when you leave.
Pros
close to home
Cons
wage freeze for 5 years, no possiblity of advancment
Too many changes
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 12, 2015
When I first started working at cmha-hrb it was an amazing place to work then there were a lot of changes and directors/managers in positions they are far from qualified for.

Company morale is very low, lots of people leaving.

They can't keep people working here, the management doesn't get it. Open your eyes and take a good look around. Things need to be changed drastically.

CEO is never in the office. If you see her once a month you're lucky.
Wonderful
Peer Support Worker (Current Employee) –  PeterboroughFebruary 6, 2015
• Facilitated participation in social and recreation opportunities
• Provided a listening ear/ support for community events
• Provided public education on mental health and stigma
• Currently working with the Haliburton Kawartha Collaborative for transitional age youth services
Pros
doing a job i love
Cons
very part time, no benefits, low pay.
Great Experience
Education and Training Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 16, 2015
I loved working for CMHA.
On a typical day I ran the drop in club house and the work programs independently. Clients came in to chat and participate in monthly activities. I facilitated group interactions, activities, and conflict resolution. I also helped connect clients with resources and provided peer counselling.

I learned a lot about managing large groups and how to cater interactions to different personality types. This allowed me to find a way to incorporate everyones needs into a cohesive and functioning support group.

The management and coworkers were great. They were friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was leaving. I only left because I needed to move back to Ontario to complete my university degree.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing real changes in my clients and the vast improvement of their group dynamics.
WORST EMPLOYER BY FAR!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AlbertaJanuary 14, 2015
No organization, management doesn't have a clue of what they're doing, they also have no respect for their workers, worst employment atmosphere that I've ever been a part of. Note, just one support worker has been with the company for more than 3 months, that should give you an idea of how much staff loved the job or how much management loved the team.
Pros
not a single thing.
Cons
everything
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina Saskatchewan DivisionSeptember 12, 2014
answering phones, check and respond to emails, prepare coffee for business meetings. Receive the mail and stamp, and organize it, bring to the boardroom. Do data entry, check supply list.

Go for break :)

Enter receipts into the system, and do data entry into access database for the cash calendar. 100 entries. Order staples supplies when needed for office. 20 people!

Go for an hour lunch break.

Return to desk, and check emails forward along important ones, answer phones and check messages. Make labels for cash calendars, and envelopes, and put them all on Envelopes.

Go for break. 3:00 pm - 3:15pm

Put postage on 100 envelopes and stamp them all do not bend stamp. Finish all other fundraising envelopes for other employees and put postage on them. Send them out for the day.

Do 4pm office mailroom mail and put postage on all them.

Co workers were nice on coffee break, and they were easy to get along with.

I loved that workload was steady.

The satisfaction of getting lots done and doing a good thing for the community.
Pros
longer lunch breaks
Cons
get off at later
I enjoy working with the staff and they can help with any problems that you may have.
Office Worker/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kentville, NSJuly 15, 2014
My typical day at CHMA is shedding paper and making sure that everything is done before I leave for the day that has been assign to me. The co-workers are great and if you are feeling sad they have a kind word to bring a smile to your face.
Productive and a fun place to work. Advocating and crisis intervention.
Life Skill's Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 14, 2014
A typical week at work is preparing for the groups that I facilitate, advocate and crisis intervention, assist with case management clients, attend team meetings, assisting clients with life skills.
I learned that what we bring to our clients we serve is vital in assisting them in their own abilities through strength-based approach and positive self talk and seeing the individual in their own environment.
you need to manage your time with your own day to day schedule and sometimes have too at a moment notice change the plans you have for the day, due to other staff needing assistance or coverage, your clients need assistance.
I feel that your co-workers as a team make the difference in supporting everyone's role in the agency.
the hardest part of the job is dealing with manic individuals.
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with your clients on a day to day basis, and the co-workers trying to help keep things light due to the job can be stressful.
It is important to maintain self-care, because self-care for yourself allows you to be in a positive state to help your clients.
Pros
flexible, use of a gym, staff activities
Educator,fun,caring, and enthusiastic
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 4, 2014
On a typical day as a nurse case manager, I select clients that I will be seeing or contacting for the day at our regular morning meetings. Some of them requires daily med observation which is done early in the morning. I also prioritize my visit according to clients needs. After meeting my clients I do full assessment of their mental health as well as their physical health, then proceed with any help their may require, and also involved them as much as they can in their care.
I learnt that respecting clients regardless of their mental health is vital towards their copping and recovery.
Working in the community I have autonomy with regards to my practice.
I have a good relationship with my co-workers for being a good team player.
The hardest part of my job is when clients refuse help when I know that they will benefit from the help that I offer.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients are doing well.
Pros
good team building
Cons
working short
Great Staff.
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 30, 2014
As the Network Administrator for the Canadian Mental Health Association, I had the pleasure of working with a staff of professional, hard working, and supportive individuals who made a very demanding job much more pleasant. I found, in my co-workers, not only comrades in work, but good friends as well.
Supportive team environment with dedicated volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCMay 14, 2014
As a Volunteer Coordinator my main responsibility was recruiting volunteers and maintaining their volunteer base. This opportunity gave me great flexibility in creating my own projects. The most valuable part of my experience was spending time with each volunteer. I was touched to hear our volunteers’ stories, which further fueled my dedication.