Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Amazing agency
Crisis Outreach Support Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 November 2017
CMHA is incredible to work for. Management and frontline staff work in partnership to best serve clients. I am so proud to be apart of such an agency!
Cmha
Mental Health Worker I (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC18 November 2017
great clients and staff, not enough pay for the work. i really enjoy it but i can not support myself with this job alone. Has been working for CMHA for the last three months starting date being September 12th 2016. As a Mental Health Worker I have been in charge of many responsibilities including promoting self-reliance and independence of residents living with multiple, chronic health challenges as they work to achieve the goals in their care plans. This involves building a professional rapport with residents during their activities of daily living such as attending exercise programs, volunteer shifts and doctor appointments, as well as coaching individuals in a manner that maintains and respects the spirit, dignity, inclusivity and individuality of others
Productive and fun workplace which provide various opportunities to improve
Waitlist Management Support (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2017
I get to meet psychiatrist survivors of various personalities and interview them. This allows me to become more knowledgeable and a better communicator.
Pros
Own office
Cons
nothing
Past employee
Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 July 2017
EVERYONE has value in this agency, not just those you like or are comfortable with socially. The agency needs to be managed on principle, not personality. Friends, associates, and those most favored do NOT make superior employees. The toxicity of the attitudes and backstabbing between staff WILL have severe consequences for the organization. The "policies and procedures" should not change from employee to employee and the administrators ego is a poor barometer for assessing the quality and character of staff.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Staff that contantly talks negatively about each other
brief counselling
Brief Counseling Placement Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON17 July 2017
Great places, does great work, friendly and accomodating. Would recommned it as employer, hours ood and pay reasonable. Co-workers friendly and professional.
I prefer not to
COORDINATOR (RELIEF STAFF) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
I prefer not to ...it is a very small social work community in Calgary. I live there and do not trust these confidential reviews.
But thank you for creating a space where people can share their option and experience.
Amazing environment for everyone that enters.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 June 2017
I absolutely loved and love my time in this building. The staff are amazing, and the friends and people I met there changed my life for the best. It is a great place for placements, youth and students to learn in a very comfortable environment, never left this place without a smile on my face.
Pros
The friendly people
Cons
Distance
Enjoyable
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON17 May 2017
I have earned a great deal of experience related to mental health and addictions. I work along side very caring and supportive staff who is understanding and willing to assist whenever needed.
Pros
Lunch and learns, supportive friendly co workers.
Cons
can be hectic schedules
Assistant Consumer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 April 2017
The job was focussed on helping people to live the best life possible.It entailed advocacy and referrals to necessary services. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Work/life balance a must for Mental Health Workers
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON7 April 2017
At most CMHAs, you are an able and trusted professional who is in control of your work life.

A good remuneration and benefits package means you are able to focus on professional development and service users without distraction. With a work culture that values diversity and excellence, you will be proud to know that you work in one of the ten to be envied organizations in Canada.

Job security and personal development are encouraged by a management team that is interested and involved with each staff's identified career goals
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Room for improvement in remuneration
Serving the community, but maybe too big.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 March 2017
This agency has seen rapid growth in a few years. It may now be too big, too much of an "empire". That being said, salary is great, benefits too, and many programs to work in. Recently unionized.
Worked with a partner; had puppets to talk with kids at the under age of 10
men (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 February 2017
We taught kids about bullying, and why it hurts people. As well we told the kids it was okay to tell someone, an adult. Some kids have confronted us, and we would tell our advisors about it.
Pros
Great people to work with
uneventful
student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 February 2017
It was a boring placement, and not one that I would suggest to anyone, the people were friendly but there just isn't any work there to do, it's a sinking ship.
Great and fun place
Bilingual Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 February 2017
Was a great environment to work at, the customer service was excellent. Peers were awesome. Definitely a great place to work at.
Great work environment; working as an office volunteer.
General Office Clerk; (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
Staff is always courteous and helpful. There is a positive and supportive work atmosphere. I feel part of a community. I work one half day per week (since 2013). I am learning more about excel and doing various office tasks for the administrator, volunteer coordinator, and resources manager.
Pros
volunteer group gatherings
Cons
not a paid position
The worst agency to work for..
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pererborough31 December 2016
Working for CMHA Peterborough was the worst experience of my career. The pay is terrible and they can't keep staff so it's chronically understaffed. They constantly put you in unsafe working conditions. They always want staff to volunteer hours of their time. Staff morale is non-existent as is proper training. I worked there for 1 year, made a mistake and was fired and chased out the door in tears. Absolute horrible HR. There were maybe 2 people I liked working with.
Great job
Volunteer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 August 2016
I had a lot of fun and met a lot of very interesting people from all walks of life. It was a great position with a wonderful work environment.
Caring people and wonderful environment
Crisis Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 August 2016
My experience with CMHA was wonderful, I would work for them again. They have a vast amount of opportunities and are continuing to grow in the mental health field.
productive and fun work environment
College Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 June 2016
educate children about stress and stress reduction and healthy relationships, while generating new topics as well. Manager and co-workers are a pleasure to work with and it is a positive environment to be in.
Pros
free stress reduction tools
Cons
a lot of computer usage
puts our clients first
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Great place that truly lives everyday by their vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. Our clients come first and the whole purpose of staff is to make sure our clients come first and are heard.
Pros
great benefits