Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Work/life balance a must for Mental Health Workers
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON7 April 2017
At most CMHAs, you are an able and trusted professional who is in control of your work life.

A good remuneration and benefits package means you are able to focus on professional development and service users without distraction. With a work culture that values diversity and excellence, you will be proud to know that you work in one of the ten to be envied organizations in Canada.

Job security and personal development are encouraged by a management team that is interested and involved with each staff's identified career goals
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Room for improvement in remuneration
Serving the community, but maybe too big.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 March 2017
This agency has seen rapid growth in a few years. It may now be too big, too much of an "empire". That being said, salary is great, benefits too, and many programs to work in. Recently unionized.
Worked with a partner; had puppets to talk with kids at the under age of 10
men (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 February 2017
We taught kids about bullying, and why it hurts people. As well we told the kids it was okay to tell someone, an adult. Some kids have confronted us, and we would tell our advisors about it.
Pros
Great people to work with
uneventful
student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 February 2017
It was a boring placement, and not one that I would suggest to anyone, the people were friendly but there just isn't any work there to do, it's a sinking ship.
Great and fun place
Bilingual Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 February 2017
Was a great environment to work at, the customer service was excellent. Peers were awesome. Definitely a great place to work at.
Great work environment; working as an office volunteer.
General Office Clerk; (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
Staff is always courteous and helpful. There is a positive and supportive work atmosphere. I feel part of a community. I work one half day per week (since 2013). I am learning more about excel and doing various office tasks for the administrator, volunteer coordinator, and resources manager.
Pros
volunteer group gatherings
Cons
not a paid position
The worst agency to work for..
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pererborough31 December 2016
Working for CMHA Peterborough was the worst experience of my career. The pay is terrible and they can't keep staff so it's chronically understaffed. They constantly put you in unsafe working conditions. They always want staff to volunteer hours of their time. Staff morale is non-existent as is proper training. I worked there for 1 year, made a mistake and was fired and chased out the door in tears. Absolute horrible HR. There were maybe 2 people I liked working with.
Great job
Volunteer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 August 2016
I had a lot of fun and met a lot of very interesting people from all walks of life. It was a great position with a wonderful work environment.
Caring people and wonderful environment
Crisis Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 August 2016
My experience with CMHA was wonderful, I would work for them again. They have a vast amount of opportunities and are continuing to grow in the mental health field.
productive and fun work environment
College Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 June 2016
educate children about stress and stress reduction and healthy relationships, while generating new topics as well. Manager and co-workers are a pleasure to work with and it is a positive environment to be in.
Pros
free stress reduction tools
Cons
a lot of computer usage
puts our clients first
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Great place that truly lives everyday by their vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. Our clients come first and the whole purpose of staff is to make sure our clients come first and are heard.
Pros
great benefits
I enjoyed work at this company very much
Receptionist/adminstrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Receptionist13 January 2016
I started from a teller and end up being an analyst during the six years working in TD. I have learned a lot from TD supervisors and managers and developed essential skills to be able to work in any company for sales, customer service and administrative support role
Co-op position
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON24 November 2015
I worked as a Recreational Worker within the Co-op program.

This was voluntary and assisted me in gaining experience within my field.
Pros
learned much about the position I was studying for
Cons
co-op, no pay
Team oriented, professional, and with out a doubt enjoyable and fun.
residential support worker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC4 November 2015
The residents are extremely polite and decent human beings who deserve the right to a satisfactory quality of life, that of which my co-workers and myself deliver to them on a daily basis. Management is the best i have ever worked with as they send out emails daily regarding anything and everything the organization adapts to and makes each and every employee feel as needed as the other, no matter the position.
Pros
free meals, fun atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
Not Applicable
worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 October 2015
Fun work place with supportive staff. Lots of training. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.
A Friendly and Inclusive workplace with grat learning opportinuties
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1200 Markham Road14 September 2015
Working with more than 200 staffs from different backgrounds teaches you to appreciate and gain experience on how to interact and work with different ideas and different values working towards the goal. I gain not just experience but respect for every individual who walks by our office.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
1 Year Contrac
Awesome workplace and organization.
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 September 2015
The Canadian Mental Health Association is a great organization and place to work. Very well educated staff who are very helpful to all of the clients. I had a very positive co-op experience there.
Continuous Active Training
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 August 2015
There are opportunities to advance your skills with many workshops and special speakers brought to quarterly Team days. The client work can be very inspirational when you see progress. The staff are very friendly and act as good resources for each other.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
The wages aren't bad but they aren't the best either for the work conducted.
Amazing place
Relief Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 April 2015
I loved my time at CMHA. The staff and managers are very respectful and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend working here.
Very supportive with work life balance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronnto, Ontario6 April 2015
I would have to say that ffom the time I started until now it has grown a lot, which means more hats to wear. Its non profit so the main focus is on funding for programs, there is not much room for advancement in the admin aspect. Its a very easy going atmosphere as far as anyone watching the clock...the main focus is your job gets done and if it does then no one really watches when you came in and when you leave.
Pros
close to home
Cons
wage freeze for 5 years, no possiblity of advancment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Canadian Mental Health Association Reviews by Location