Canadian Mental Health Association

Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very supportive with work life balance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee), Toronnto, OntarioApril 6, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: wage freeze for 5 years, no possiblity of advancment
I would have to say that ffom the time I started until now it has grown a lot, which means more hats to wear. Its non profit so the main focus is on funding for programs, there is not much room for advancement in the admin aspect. Its a very easy going atmosphere as far as anyone watching the clock...the main focus is your job gets done and if it does then no one really watches when you came in and when you leave.
Too many changes
Case Manager (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 12, 2015
When I first started working at cmha-hrb it was an amazing place to work then there were a lot of changes and directors/managers in positions they are far from qualified for.

Company morale is very low, lots of people leaving.

They can't keep people working here, the management doesn't get it. Open your eyes and take a good look around. Things need to be changed drastically.

CEO is never in the office. If you see her once a month you're lucky.
Wonderful
Peer Support Worker (Current Employee), PeterboroughFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: doing a job i love
Cons: very part time, no benefits, low pay.
• Facilitated participation in social and recreation opportunities
• Provided a listening ear/ support for community events
• Provided public education on mental health and stigma
• Currently working with the Haliburton Kawartha Collaborative for transitional age youth services
Great Experience
Education and Training Support Worker (Former Employee), Thompson, MBJanuary 16, 2015
I loved working for CMHA.
On a typical day I ran the drop in club house and the work programs independently. Clients came in to chat and participate in monthly activities. I facilitated group interactions, activities, and conflict resolution. I also helped connect clients with resources and provided peer counselling.

I learned a lot about managing large groups and how to cater interactions to different personality types. This allowed me to find a way to incorporate everyones needs into a cohesive and functioning support group.

The management and coworkers were great. They were friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was leaving. I only left because I needed to move back to Ontario to complete my university degree.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing real changes in my clients and the vast improvement of their group dynamics.
WORST EMPLOYER BY FAR!!
Support Worker (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, AlbertaJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: not a single thing.
Cons: everything
No organization, management doesn't have a clue of what they're doing, they also have no respect for their workers, worst employment atmosphere that I've ever been a part of. Note, just one support worker has been with the company for more than 3 months, that should give you an idea of how much staff loved the job or how much management loved the team.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Regina Saskatchewan DivisionSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: longer lunch breaks
Cons: get off at later
answering phones, check and respond to emails, prepare coffee for business meetings. Receive the mail and stamp, and organize it, bring to the boardroom. Do data entry, check supply list.

Go for break :)

Enter receipts into the system, and do data entry into access database for the cash calendar. 100 entries. Order staples supplies when needed for office. 20 people!

Go for an hour lunch break.

Return to desk, and check emails forward along important ones, answer phones and check messages. Make labels for cash calendars, and envelopes, and put them all on Envelopes.

Go for break. 3:00 pm - 3:15pm

Put postage on 100 envelopes and stamp them all do not bend stamp. Finish all other fundraising envelopes for other employees and put postage on them. Send them out for the day.

Do 4pm office mailroom mail and put postage on all them.

Co workers were nice on coffee break, and they were easy to get along with.

I loved that workload was steady.

The satisfaction of getting lots done and doing a good thing for the community.
I enjoy working with the staff and they can help with any problems that you may have.
Office Worker/Volunteer (Current Employee), Kentville, NSJuly 15, 2014
My typical day at CHMA is shedding paper and making sure that everything is done before I leave for the day that has been assign to me. The co-workers are great and if you are feeling sad they have a kind word to bring a smile to your face.
Productive and a fun place to work. Advocating and crisis intervention.
Life Skill's Worker (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 14, 2014
Pros: flexible, use of a gym, staff activities
Cons: long hours
A typical week at work is preparing for the groups that I facilitate, advocate and crisis intervention, assist with case management clients, attend team meetings, assisting clients with life skills.
I learned that what we bring to our clients we serve is vital in assisting them in their own abilities through strength-based approach and positive self talk and seeing the individual in their own environment.
you need to manage your time with your own day to day schedule and sometimes have too at a moment notice change the plans you have for the day, due to other staff needing assistance or coverage, your clients need assistance.
I feel that your co-workers as a team make the difference in supporting everyone's role in the agency.
the hardest part of the job is dealing with manic individuals.
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with your clients on a day to day basis, and the co-workers trying to help keep things light due to the job can be stressful.
It is important to maintain self-care, because self-care for yourself allows you to be in a positive state to help your clients.
Educator,fun,caring, and enthusiastic
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: good team building
Cons: working short
On a typical day as a nurse case manager, I select clients that I will be seeing or contacting for the day at our regular morning meetings. Some of them requires daily med observation which is done early in the morning. I also prioritize my visit according to clients needs. After meeting my clients I do full assessment of their mental health as well as their physical health, then proceed with any help their may require, and also involved them as much as they can in their care.
I learnt that respecting clients regardless of their mental health is vital towards their copping and recovery.
Working in the community I have autonomy with regards to my practice.
I have a good relationship with my co-workers for being a good team player.
The hardest part of my job is when clients refuse help when I know that they will benefit from the help that I offer.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients are doing well.
Great Staff.
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMay 30, 2014
As the Network Administrator for the Canadian Mental Health Association, I had the pleasure of working with a staff of professional, hard working, and supportive individuals who made a very demanding job much more pleasant. I found, in my co-workers, not only comrades in work, but good friends as well.
Supportive team environment with dedicated volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCMay 14, 2014
As a Volunteer Coordinator my main responsibility was recruiting volunteers and maintaining their volunteer base. This opportunity gave me great flexibility in creating my own projects. The most valuable part of my experience was spending time with each volunteer. I was touched to hear our volunteers’ stories, which further fueled my dedication.
Work place balance
Finance & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 7, 2014
Great place to work! Great flexibility! Work, family balance!
Initiated and implemented Crisis intervention Program
Program Manager (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: loved the job - it was new and growing, 7 days per week
Cons: being on call 24 hours per day
I was able to work with multiple agencies such as the police and fire fighters, hospital referrals for psych evaluation
Overall wonderful group of people that all are working towards the same goal
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Windsor, OntarioFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: wonderful manager
Cons: definition of duties is not clear
A typical day will include prioritizing my day follow up on tasks that are currently on the go. Data entry and filing is done daily. I have learnt a great deal about the health care industry and their reporting requirements. I enjoy interacting with department managers, staff and executive members. The hardest part of my job is trying to not take on other departments problem solving. The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving and the analyzing I do.
positive professional enviornment
Employment Support Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Good salary and benefits; opportunities for job changes within company; pension top up yearly
great flexibility
Crisis Support Worker (Former Employee), New Liskeard, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: home based
Cons: not many hours
this was a home based job, it allowed me to multitask with many things. Management was very good. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a great experience.
great place to work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Simcoe, ONJanuary 2, 2014
I learned a lot and am ready to move on to something new. hardest part of the job....doom and gloom from clients. Best part...helping others. The good out weighs the bad, its worth it.
good experience
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: was only a seasonal position
The job gave me good office experience; computer work, (e.g. Excel, faxing, data entry). The management and co-workers became acquaintances and I also came to greatly appreciate the efforts behind the Canadian Mental Health asc.
Amazing organization
Case Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2013
Amazing organization that is always making a positive impact in the community.
Great learning opportunity
Family Support Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 3, 2013
Pros: flexability
Cons: low pay
On a typical day I would recruit volunteers and coordinate them to come in to facilitate workshops. I would prepare each workshop and ensure that is ran smoothly. I had to ensure that each workshop was properly advertised and had enough people signed up to go ahead with it. I processed payments for workshops. I participated in each workshop and learned to facilitate them as well. I attended meetings to promote my programs. I did public speaking to help gain interest in volunteering and participating in workshops.
The hardest part of the job was getting volunteers to commit 14 to 16 hours a month and making sure they stayed committed. The most enjoyable was getting to see people grow through the workshops that were offered.