Canadian Mental Health Association

Canadian Mental Health Association Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and a fun place to work. Advocating and crisis intervention.
Life Skill's Worker (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 14, 2014
Pros: flexible, use of a gym, staff activities
Cons: long hours
A typical week at work is preparing for the groups that I facilitate, advocate and crisis intervention, assist with case management clients, attend team meetings, assisting clients with life skills.
I learned that what we bring to our clients we serve is vital in assisting them in their own abilities through strength-based approach and positive self – more... talk and seeing the individual in their own environment.
you need to manage your time with your own day to day schedule and sometimes have too at a moment notice change the plans you have for the day, due to other staff needing assistance or coverage, your clients need assistance.
I feel that your co-workers as a team make the difference in supporting everyone's role in the agency.
the hardest part of the job is dealing with manic individuals.
the most enjoyable part of the job is working with your clients on a day to day basis, and the co-workers trying to help keep things light due to the job can be stressful.
It is important to maintain self-care, because self-care for yourself allows you to be in a positive state to help your clients. – less
Educator,fun,caring, and enthusiastic
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: good team building
Cons: working short
On a typical day as a nurse case manager, I select clients that I will be seeing or contacting for the day at our regular morning meetings. Some of them requires daily med observation which is done early in the morning. I also prioritize my visit according to clients needs. After meeting my clients I do full assessment of their mental health as well – more... as their physical health, then proceed with any help their may require, and also involved them as much as they can in their care.
I learnt that respecting clients regardless of their mental health is vital towards their copping and recovery.
Working in the community I have autonomy with regards to my practice.
I have a good relationship with my co-workers for being a good team player.
The hardest part of my job is when clients refuse help when I know that they will benefit from the help that I offer.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients are doing well. – less
Great Staff.
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMay 30, 2014
As the Network Administrator for the Canadian Mental Health Association, I had the pleasure of working with a staff of professional, hard working, and supportive individuals who made a very demanding job much more pleasant. I found, in my co-workers, not only comrades in work, but good friends as well.
Supportive team environment with dedicated volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCMay 14, 2014
As a Volunteer Coordinator my main responsibility was recruiting volunteers and maintaining their volunteer base. This opportunity gave me great flexibility in creating my own projects. The most valuable part of my experience was spending time with each volunteer. I was touched to hear our volunteers’ stories, which further fueled my dedication.
Work place balance
Finance & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 7, 2014
Great place to work! Great flexibility! Work, family balance!
Initiated and implemented Crisis intervention Program
Program Manager (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: loved the job - it was new and growing, 7 days per week
Cons: being on call 24 hours per day
I was able to work with multiple agencies such as the police and fire fighters, hospital referrals for psych evaluation
Overall wonderful group of people that all are working towards the same goal
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Windsor, OntarioFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: wonderful manager
Cons: definition of duties is not clear
A typical day will include prioritizing my day follow up on tasks that are currently on the go. Data entry and filing is done daily. I have learnt a great deal about the health care industry and their reporting requirements. I enjoy interacting with department managers, staff and executive members. The hardest part of my job is trying to not take on – more... other departments problem solving. The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving and the analyzing I do. – less
positive professional enviornment
Employment Support Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Good salary and benefits; opportunities for job changes within company; pension top up yearly
great flexibility
Crisis Support Worker (Former Employee), New Liskeard, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: home based
Cons: not many hours
this was a home based job, it allowed me to multitask with many things. Management was very good. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a great experience.
great place to work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Simcoe, ONJanuary 2, 2014
I learned a lot and am ready to move on to something new. hardest part of the job....doom and gloom from clients. Best part...helping others. The good out weighs the bad, its worth it.
good experience
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: was only a seasonal position
The job gave me good office experience; computer work, (e.g. Excel, faxing, data entry). The management and co-workers became acquaintances and I also came to greatly appreciate the efforts behind the Canadian Mental Health asc.
Amazing organization
Case Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2013
Amazing organization that is always making a positive impact in the community.
Great learning opportunity
Family Support Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 3, 2013
Pros: flexability
Cons: low pay
On a typical day I would recruit volunteers and coordinate them to come in to facilitate workshops. I would prepare each workshop and ensure that is ran smoothly. I had to ensure that each workshop was properly advertised and had enough people signed up to go ahead with it. I processed payments for workshops. I participated in each workshop and learned – more... to facilitate them as well. I attended meetings to promote my programs. I did public speaking to help gain interest in volunteering and participating in workshops.
The hardest part of the job was getting volunteers to commit 14 to 16 hours a month and making sure they stayed committed. The most enjoyable was getting to see people grow through the workshops that were offered. – less
Great organization to Volunteer with
Volunteer One Client Support Worker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2013
Pros: helping clients
Cons: limited funding
Meet with clients with concurrent disorders in the community and help them get re-engaged with their interests to help with their recovery.

Best part of the experience was getting to know clients, helping them get out and enjoy life, and taking training that helped with the role.

Worst part was limited funding.
N/A
IT and Facilities Dispatcher (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 23, 2013
Pros: all staff meetings
A typical day at work consists of problem solving & critical thinking

Since the organization almalgamated in April 2013, management is still in the process of hiring more management for different services

My co-workers are very supportive and kind :)
Help clients to develop their independent daily living skills in accordance with their individual care plan.
Case Management Volunteer (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJune 3, 2013
Pros: experience and making a difference.
Cons: at times it can be heart breaking, and not a paying job.
Transport clients to social events, shopping. Assist with everyday care plan to every individual needs.
fun work place
Cook (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMay 15, 2013
Pros: free food
Cons: long hours
long but fun had my own kithen to work in got pay to do what i like to do
Amazing People
Placement Student (Former Employee), SimcoeMarch 28, 2013
excellent working enviroment, mature and professional , while still being warm and welcoming!
very relaxed setting good learning experience
August 28) Program Assistant & Supervisor (Former Employee), Prince Albert, SKFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: free lunches and great hours
Cons: bbqing in the hot sun for hours
a typical day would include hanging out with the clients, doing random errands and BBQ fundraising. i learned that having a good attitude every day is important. my boss was very reasonable. my co-workers were ok as well, the hardest part of the job was probably doing the fundraisig BBQ and standing out in the hot sun for up to 5 hours every day. the – more... most enjoyable part was getting to know the clients and building friendships – less
Enjoyed to learn more and gain experience working with the clients.
Volunteer (supporter) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 23, 2012
Pros: free mental health courses
I had monthly meetings to attend to discuss my client. During the week and I was responsible to keep in contact with the client who has mental disabilities and help the person to get out and around and doing more, help them solve personal problems and improve their life.

I had the opportunity to take mental health training courses as Applied Suicide – more... Intervention Skills Training, Mental Health Intentional Peer Support, Myths and Realities of Mental Health. – less