Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

productive and fun work environment
College Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 26, 2016
educate children about stress and stress reduction and healthy relationships, while generating new topics as well. Manager and co-workers are a pleasure to work with and it is a positive environment to be in.
Pros
free stress reduction tools
Cons
a lot of computer usage
Caring people and wonderful environment
Crisis Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 7, 2016
My experience with CMHA was wonderful, I would work for them again. They have a vast amount of opportunities and are continuing to grow in the mental health field.
puts our clients first
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
Great place that truly lives everyday by their vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. Our clients come first and the whole purpose of staff is to make sure our clients come first and are heard.
Pros
great benefits
I enjoyed work at this company very much
Receptionist/adminstrative assistant (Former Employee) –  ReceptionistJanuary 13, 2016
I started from a teller and end up being an analyst during the six years working in TD. I have learned a lot from TD supervisors and managers and developed essential skills to be able to work in any company for sales, customer service and administrative support role
Team oriented, professional, and with out a doubt enjoyable and fun.
residential support worker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCNovember 4, 2015
The residents are extremely polite and decent human beings who deserve the right to a satisfactory quality of life, that of which my co-workers and myself deliver to them on a daily basis. Management is the best i have ever worked with as they send out emails daily regarding anything and everything the organization adapts to and makes each and every employee feel as needed as the other, no matter the position.
Pros
free meals, fun atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
A Friendly and Inclusive workplace with grat learning opportinuties
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1200 Markham RoadSeptember 14, 2015
Working with more than 200 staffs from different backgrounds teaches you to appreciate and gain experience on how to interact and work with different ideas and different values working towards the goal. I gain not just experience but respect for every individual who walks by our office.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
1 Year Contrac
Co-op position
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 24, 2015
I worked as a Recreational Worker within the Co-op program.

This was voluntary and assisted me in gaining experience within my field.
Pros
learned much about the position I was studying for
Cons
co-op, no pay
Continuous Active Training
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 14, 2015
There are opportunities to advance your skills with many workshops and special speakers brought to quarterly Team days. The client work can be very inspirational when you see progress. The staff are very friendly and act as good resources for each other.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
The wages aren't bad but they aren't the best either for the work conducted.
Awesome workplace and organization.
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 6, 2015
The Canadian Mental Health Association is a great organization and place to work. Very well educated staff who are very helpful to all of the clients. I had a very positive co-op experience there.
Very supportive with work life balance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronnto, OntarioApril 6, 2015
I would have to say that ffom the time I started until now it has grown a lot, which means more hats to wear. Its non profit so the main focus is on funding for programs, there is not much room for advancement in the admin aspect. Its a very easy going atmosphere as far as anyone watching the clock...the main focus is your job gets done and if it does then no one really watches when you came in and when you leave.
Pros
close to home
Cons
wage freeze for 5 years, no possiblity of advancment
Too many changes
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 12, 2015
When I first started working at cmha-hrb it was an amazing place to work then there were a lot of changes and directors/managers in positions they are far from qualified for.

Company morale is very low, lots of people leaving.

They can't keep people working here, the management doesn't get it. Open your eyes and take a good look around. Things need to be changed drastically.

CEO is never in the office. If you see her once a month you're lucky.
Not Applicable
worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 5, 2015
Fun work place with supportive staff. Lots of training. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.
WORST EMPLOYER BY FAR!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AlbertaJanuary 14, 2015
No organization, management doesn't have a clue of what they're doing, they also have no respect for their workers, worst employment atmosphere that I've ever been a part of. Note, just one support worker has been with the company for more than 3 months, that should give you an idea of how much staff loved the job or how much management loved the team.
Pros
not a single thing.
Cons
everything
Wonderful
Peer Support Worker (Current Employee) –  PeterboroughFebruary 6, 2015
• Facilitated participation in social and recreation opportunities
• Provided a listening ear/ support for community events
• Provided public education on mental health and stigma
• Currently working with the Haliburton Kawartha Collaborative for transitional age youth services
Pros
doing a job i love
Cons
very part time, no benefits, low pay.
Great Experience
Education and Training Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 16, 2015
I loved working for CMHA.
On a typical day I ran the drop in club house and the work programs independently. Clients came in to chat and participate in monthly activities. I facilitated group interactions, activities, and conflict resolution. I also helped connect clients with resources and provided peer counselling.

I learned a lot about managing large groups and how to cater interactions to different personality types. This allowed me to find a way to incorporate everyones needs into a cohesive and functioning support group.

The management and coworkers were great. They were friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of my job was leaving. I only left because I needed to move back to Ontario to complete my university degree.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing real changes in my clients and the vast improvement of their group dynamics.
Overall wonderful group of people that all are working towards the same goal
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, OntarioFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day will include prioritizing my day follow up on tasks that are currently on the go. Data entry and filing is done daily. I have learnt a great deal about the health care industry and their reporting requirements. I enjoy interacting with department managers, staff and executive members. The hardest part of my job is trying to not take on other departments problem solving. The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving and the analyzing I do.
Pros
wonderful manager
Cons
definition of duties is not clear
Enjoyed to learn more and gain experience working with the clients.
Volunteer (supporter) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 23, 2012
I had monthly meetings to attend to discuss my client. During the week and I was responsible to keep in contact with the client who has mental disabilities and help the person to get out and around and doing more, help them solve personal problems and improve their life.

I had the opportunity to take mental health training courses as Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Mental Health Intentional Peer Support, Myths and Realities of Mental Health.
Pros
free mental health courses
very relaxed setting good learning experience
August 28) Program Assistant & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 13, 2013
a typical day would include hanging out with the clients, doing random errands and BBQ fundraising. i learned that having a good attitude every day is important. my boss was very reasonable. my co-workers were ok as well, the hardest part of the job was probably doing the fundraisig BBQ and standing out in the hot sun for up to 5 hours every day. the most enjoyable part was getting to know the clients and building friendships
Pros
free lunches and great hours
Cons
bbqing in the hot sun for hours
Supportive team environment with dedicated volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BCMay 14, 2014
As a Volunteer Coordinator my main responsibility was recruiting volunteers and maintaining their volunteer base. This opportunity gave me great flexibility in creating my own projects. The most valuable part of my experience was spending time with each volunteer. I was touched to hear our volunteers’ stories, which further fueled my dedication.
Great organization to Volunteer with
Volunteer One Client Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2013
Meet with clients with concurrent disorders in the community and help them get re-engaged with their interests to help with their recovery.

Best part of the experience was getting to know clients, helping them get out and enjoy life, and taking training that helped with the role.

Worst part was limited funding.
Pros
helping clients
Cons
limited funding

Canadian Mental Health Association Reviews by Location