Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

The worst agency to work for..
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pererborough31 December 2016
Working for CMHA Peterborough was the worst experience of my career. The pay is terrible and they can't keep staff so it's chronically understaffed. They constantly put you in unsafe working conditions. They always want staff to volunteer hours of their time. Staff morale is non-existent as is proper training. I worked there for 1 year, made a mistake and was fired and chased out the door in tears. Absolute horrible HR. There were maybe 2 people I liked working with.
Cons
Great work environment; working as an office volunteer.
General Office Clerk; (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2017
Staff is always courteous and helpful. There is a positive and supportive work atmosphere. I feel part of a community. I work one half day per week (since 2013). I am learning more about excel and doing various office tasks for the administrator, volunteer coordinator, and resources manager.
Pros
volunteer group gatherings
Cons
not a paid position
uneventful
student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 February 2017
It was a boring placement, and not one that I would suggest to anyone, the people were friendly but there just isn't any work there to do, it's a sinking ship.
Great and fun place
Bilingual Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 February 2017
Was a great environment to work at, the customer service was excellent. Peers were awesome. Definitely a great place to work at.
productive and fun work environment
College Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 June 2016
educate children about stress and stress reduction and healthy relationships, while generating new topics as well. Manager and co-workers are a pleasure to work with and it is a positive environment to be in.
Pros
free stress reduction tools
Cons
a lot of computer usage
Caring people and wonderful environment
Crisis Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 August 2016
My experience with CMHA was wonderful, I would work for them again. They have a vast amount of opportunities and are continuing to grow in the mental health field.
Great job
Volunteer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 August 2016
I had a lot of fun and met a lot of very interesting people from all walks of life. It was a great position with a wonderful work environment.
puts our clients first
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Great place that truly lives everyday by their vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. Our clients come first and the whole purpose of staff is to make sure our clients come first and are heard.
Pros
great benefits
I enjoyed work at this company very much
Receptionist/adminstrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Receptionist13 January 2016
I started from a teller and end up being an analyst during the six years working in TD. I have learned a lot from TD supervisors and managers and developed essential skills to be able to work in any company for sales, customer service and administrative support role
Team oriented, professional, and with out a doubt enjoyable and fun.
residential support worker (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC4 November 2015
The residents are extremely polite and decent human beings who deserve the right to a satisfactory quality of life, that of which my co-workers and myself deliver to them on a daily basis. Management is the best i have ever worked with as they send out emails daily regarding anything and everything the organization adapts to and makes each and every employee feel as needed as the other, no matter the position.
Pros
free meals, fun atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
A Friendly and Inclusive workplace with grat learning opportinuties
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1200 Markham Road14 September 2015
Working with more than 200 staffs from different backgrounds teaches you to appreciate and gain experience on how to interact and work with different ideas and different values working towards the goal. I gain not just experience but respect for every individual who walks by our office.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
1 Year Contrac
Continuous Active Training
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 August 2015
There are opportunities to advance your skills with many workshops and special speakers brought to quarterly Team days. The client work can be very inspirational when you see progress. The staff are very friendly and act as good resources for each other.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
The wages aren't bad but they aren't the best either for the work conducted.
Co-op position
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON24 November 2015
I worked as a Recreational Worker within the Co-op program.

This was voluntary and assisted me in gaining experience within my field.
Pros
learned much about the position I was studying for
Cons
co-op, no pay
Very supportive with work life balance
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronnto, Ontario6 April 2015
I would have to say that ffom the time I started until now it has grown a lot, which means more hats to wear. Its non profit so the main focus is on funding for programs, there is not much room for advancement in the admin aspect. Its a very easy going atmosphere as far as anyone watching the clock...the main focus is your job gets done and if it does then no one really watches when you came in and when you leave.
Pros
close to home
Cons
wage freeze for 5 years, no possiblity of advancment
Too many changes
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON12 February 2015
When I first started working at cmha-hrb it was an amazing place to work then there were a lot of changes and directors/managers in positions they are far from qualified for.

Company morale is very low, lots of people leaving.

They can't keep people working here, the management doesn't get it. Open your eyes and take a good look around. Things need to be changed drastically.

CEO is never in the office. If you see her once a month you're lucky.
Overall wonderful group of people that all are working towards the same goal
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario23 February 2014
A typical day will include prioritizing my day follow up on tasks that are currently on the go. Data entry and filing is done daily. I have learnt a great deal about the health care industry and their reporting requirements. I enjoy interacting with department managers, staff and executive members. The hardest part of my job is trying to not take on other departments problem solving. The most enjoyable part of my job is problem solving and the analyzing I do.
Pros
Wonderful manager
Cons
definition of duties is not clear
Enjoyed to learn more and gain experience working with the clients.
Volunteer (supporter) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2012
I had monthly meetings to attend to discuss my client. During the week and I was responsible to keep in contact with the client who has mental disabilities and help the person to get out and around and doing more, help them solve personal problems and improve their life.

I had the opportunity to take mental health training courses as Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Mental Health Intentional Peer Support, Myths and Realities of Mental Health.
Pros
free mental health courses
very relaxed setting good learning experience
August 28) Program Assistant & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK13 February 2013
a typical day would include hanging out with the clients, doing random errands and BBQ fundraising. i learned that having a good attitude every day is important. my boss was very reasonable. my co-workers were ok as well, the hardest part of the job was probably doing the fundraisig BBQ and standing out in the hot sun for up to 5 hours every day. the most enjoyable part was getting to know the clients and building friendships
Pros
free lunches and great hours
Cons
bbqing in the hot sun for hours
WORST EMPLOYER BY FAR!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, Alberta14 January 2015
No organization, management doesn't have a clue of what they're doing, they also have no respect for their workers, worst employment atmosphere that I've ever been a part of. Note, just one support worker has been with the company for more than 3 months, that should give you an idea of how much staff loved the job or how much management loved the team.
Pros
NOT A SINGLE THING.
Cons
EVERYTHING
Supportive team environment with dedicated volunteers
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 May 2014
As a Volunteer Coordinator my main responsibility was recruiting volunteers and maintaining their volunteer base. This opportunity gave me great flexibility in creating my own projects. The most valuable part of my experience was spending time with each volunteer. I was touched to hear our volunteers’ stories, which further fueled my dedication.

Canadian Mental Health Association Reviews by Location