CME is Canada’s largest trade and industry association, representing over 10,000 companies nationally for businesses in all sectors of manufacturing and exporting coast to coast. As leaders of a coalition of manufacturers and exporters that contribute to 3 million jobs and 15% of GDP, CME members represent major businesses as well as Small and Medium Enterprises (SME), builders of our economy. Our focus is to promote business competitiveness through programs, services and advocacy to improve the success of Canadian manufacturers and exporters.
Our programs include executive peer mentoring councils, technical training, leadership skills, energy efficiency programs, as well as LEAN. We also deliver the annual BC Export Awards to celebrate business success in British Columbia.
The Manager of Marketing and Events will oversee marketing efforts for programs and events offered by CME-BC Division. This role will also be responsible for marketing campaigns, social media and overall messaging of the CME brand in British Columbia.
The Manager is responsible for the design, planning and execution of events, while liaising with CME members, partners and suppliers to ensure they receive excellent customer service. This includes all aspects of event operations, sponsorship, logistics, promotion, supplier and committee liaison and volunteer recruitment.
The Manager will also be responsible for planning, developing and executing all CME events such as information sessions, networking and seminars, as well as CME’s participation in other events such as trade shows, conventions and conferences. They will also assist with delivery of our peer mentoring councils where appropriate.
This role will work in conjunction with the membership, business development and program coordinator positions.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Leads and coordinates all BC marketing and communications as well as events.
- Engages in marketing activities to support the divisional strategy to attract, engage, retain, and ·grow CME-BC membership.
- Designs, organizes and manages key CME BC events, luncheons, workshops and the BC
- Export ·Awards as well as CME’s participation in conventions, trade shows and other key public and private forums.
- Develops creative promotional material and markets events to maximize registrations and participation, increase revenues, as well as to create exposure for the CME brand.
- Ensures membership, staff and national communications teams are kept informed of upcoming events; maintains and communicates event calendar to staff, members, stakeholders and clients.
- Provides feedback to improve the CME website and improve communication with members and the general public.
- Takes the lead on social media and other forms of e-marketing, including member newsletter.
- Plans and manages events from conception to completion - including venue selection, secures speakers, secures sponsors and partners, recruits event attendees and provides decision-making input to external resources, event logistics & processes
- Negotiates contracts for services, approve suppliers’ invoices.
- Prepares and monitors event budgets and works proactively to achieve divisional budget targets for projects.
- Works with the Vice-President and the Directors to conceptualize new events & programs to bring value to current members and support new membership recruitment.
- Meets with other CME staff, Board Members and members to determine priorities and how to continuously improve all public events and marketing initiatives.
- Researches trends and uses information to refine event and program concepts.
Reports to: Reports to the Vice President of the CME-BC Division.
Supervises: Contractors responsible for Program and Event delivery.
Degree of Authority: Responsible for managing projects with budgets up to $250,000.
Work Environment: Open office environment.
Able to work from home on occasion as required.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Business/Marketing/Communications, preferably with experience in the manufacturing/exporting business sector
- A demonstrated strong customer/member focus with 3-5 years marketing experience
- Experience in social media and e-communications
- Significant experience in project management
Attributes, Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Proficient English speaking, writing and reading skills are a must.
- Strong business written and oral communications and required to write business correspondence and to speak with senior manufacturing executives.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations as well as to the general public and other employees of the organization Ability to work within team and across departments.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills required.
- Team player.
- Superior knowledge of the needs, wants and concerns of manufacturers and exporters.
- Must be able to understand issues facing members and make logical connections to programs offered by CME.
- Knowledge of how industry associations and non-profits operate.
- Good understanding of the operation and structure of government and relevant trade organization and funding agencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and appropriate CRM software
- Ability to work outside customary business hours during periods leading up to and during major events.
- Possess a valid BC drivers license and vehicle and be able to travel for short periods of time to key centers in Metro Vancouver.