Canadian Freightways Employee Reviews

Great company overall, just a few flaws
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2017
Quite simple job, and little interaction required with others! Management isn't the best and taking time off can be quite hard as only one person from the whole office can be away at one time. Working overtime with very little , to no notice given.
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Working overtime, no dental benefits
Good place work
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 July 2017
Good place to work long hours and not much home time. company going through transition, to replace company drivers with owner operators. Management easy to work with and has open door policy.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
never home
It has been an enjoyable company to work for over 26 years.
Sr. Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK28 May 2017
A typical day at work for me required for me to call upon existing customers and obtain new customers. In my 22 years with this company, I have learned how to manage people with confidence in my decisions and how to delegate my time to the best of my ability.
I was part of the local management until I changed positions. I worked with employees that have been with the company as long as I have and have developed good relationships with them.
The current workplace culture is a little negative with some upper management changes; long time employees leaving the company and it is been hard to see them go.
The hardest part of my job is to hear about all the competition and the rates they are offering and what we are offering. I have to wonder how these other companies stay in business with offering such low ball pricing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with our existing customer base. A lot of our customers I have been working with as long as I have been in the transportation industry - 27 years.
Pros
Getting out to see our customers
Cons
Losing to competition
Great work environment
Rate Quote Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2017
Great place to work, work days fly by, and the best part you don't take work home with you. Great group of people that have been with the company long time. Excellent management.
No senority no work . It's like on call work as owner operator .
Line haul owner operator (Current Employee) –  Buranaby22 February 2017
This place only gives work in Senoirity order .
Teamster Union and Canadian Freightways has no equality work . .
There is no bottom line work, only Seniority . Specially for Tractive express owner operator div . If you have no senority you have no. Work . Extra work is offered to senority even if the junior people didn't get any work . Union only collects union dues
Pros
Cons
Extra long hour at home
Productive.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
I gained a lot of skills while working as a general clerk at Canadian Freightways. I was able to manage multi tasking and I gained lots of organizational skills. It's a place that you will learn a lot and you will carry your skills in your new profession.
Pros
Helpful Management
going down fast
Driver (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 December 2016
Not a very good place to work anymore..im just playing it out til it shuts down or i can retire..no more new equipment. .terminals shut down..since transforce took over its always about the mighty dollar..management getting very heavy handed always pushing you to the last minute..two thumbs down
Pros
good bunch of drivers and dock guys in burnaby
Cons
overall shiity place to work
Seniority is life there
Heavy equipment technician, Calgary Ab (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2016
if you are the bottom guy, this guys will make you know it and feel it, i was there for 4.5 years and i could tell that the senior guys there felt they could get away with saying and treating you however they pleased and management was so busy not getting involved and avoiding paperwork that there would never be any Repercussions
Pros
Non rushed
Cons
you will work midnight shift 5pm-2AM
General Clerk /Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 March 2016
In my position as General Clerk has many duties and tasks the very in difficulty. In Bond shipment, OS&D, Logistics to Vender Logs maintenance. One of my favorite things to due is track down shipments from who its for where it came from, like being an investigator using different avenues to track the need information down. Our manager here is beyond compare always very professional.
Pros
Allowed to donated OS&D to charities
Cons
That our terminal will be closing
poor management
Dock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2016
when tfi took over the place went down hill,how do you hire management that have shut down other companys (byers etc)and give him more money ! shut down PG and give him better job in edmonton (northern ops)shut down ftm get jod in regina , manager in cgy quits goes to day&ross cuts down the company and few months later hire back!!! more pay better job (i dont get it) lower management very good people but can't say anything ! the safey is a joke satey til it cost money ? upper management can't Run water
Pros
wage
Cons
poor management, stuck in 80's not willing to move foreward
Avoid
Driver class 1 (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2015
management is poor, teamsters presence makes atmosphere toxic. no rewards, promotions don't exist, poor shifts unless you have 20 yrs employment (seniority)
company has stopped being responsible for benefits-passed off to unions.
continual rumours of complete shutdown of company
company has said jobs may exist for next year and a half
company is shrinking rather than expanding, currently half the size it was two years ago
only two work shops left so mechanic jobs are few
forced to pay parking fee for coming to work
was once the company to work for but those days are long gone
no new equipment coming tells the story
shutting down terminals
rumours of being blended into tst which is a different union and lower paying company
some linehaul drivers are spoiled and out of touch with the real world
incompetent shop staff favored over skilled staff
company doesn't even own any of the properties it currently uses
Pros
good name for resume
Cons
management vs union enviroment
One of the few good ones
P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2015
I worked with Canadian Freightways in Calgary for two years and enjoyed the entire experience. They have a solid management team with opportunity for overtime and are genuinely thankful for the extra effort. They pay a fair days pay for a fair days work. My only regret is that they did not have a Red Deer depot when I moved or I would have waited for an opening here.
Drivers have 30+ years carriers with this company!
Pros
Solid, well established company
Cons
It takes time to get a perminent shift
Excellent work in a fast paced transportation enviornment
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton24 October 2015
A great place to work. It allowed me to gain valuable experience in the transportation and warehouse industry. The work required flexibility and a variety of shifts in order maintain delivery schedules.
High demand, fast paced
OS&D/Customs Bond Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB1 September 2015
I learnt everything I know now from CFL. Multi-Tasking between Customer Service incoming calls, contacting shippers advising about their shipment. Entering all information into the computer system from the start (bol's) to the end (outbound manifesting) and all steps between. Location and transporting missing or damaged shipments.
Middle Management very accommodating when it came to situations in the work place as well as at home.
Because of who I am CFL was one of the best places for me to work, keeping my daily duties and job title while learning all other positions.
Pros
flexable
Cons
lack of job security for office staff
Great pay and benefits, but felt overworked and underappreciated.
Customer Service Representative, Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2015
As a customer care rep, you'd spend the day juggling phone calls, emails and dedicated accounts, as well as offering support for people in other terminals who couldn't be bothered to do their jobs. It did feel rewarding at the end of the day, knowing you'd helped people out and were making at least a small difference in people's lives. However, to cut costs the entire customer care team was laid off without warning, and our jobs were outsourced to another company owned by Transforce. Thus, I was bumped down to the billing department.

In billing, all you do is type, transcribing information from bills of lading into the computer system used by the company for tracking and invoicing. All night. From 4:30 pm to 12:30 or later depending on how understaffed we are that day. The understaffing was a huge huge problem. We would get in trouble for overtime, despite being short 2 or 3 people on a given night, and we would get promised by our manager (he was really great, honestly, just faced pressure from higher-ups to cut costs etc etc) that more people would be hired but we remained chronically understaffed, even into the busiest time of year.

Honestly, I really enjoyed this job for a while. It's a laid back environment, you can hang out and chat with coworkers as you work, nobody's looking over your shoulder and micromanaging for the most part, and the pay is really great, but there is a lot of room for improvement on the management side of things. It seems like the company just keeps making horrible decisions that come down hard on the workers and it takes a toll.
Pros
no dress code, relatively simple job
Cons
sometimes long hours, sometimes fewer hours than expected, chronically understaffed, being alone with your thoughts, lack of team spirit, people were really apathetic about the company and their role in it
Productive and fun workplace
Data Entry Clerk/Billing Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary,Alberta9 July 2015
I love my job however since it moved to Calgary Alberta I have been driving 2 hours to get to work for the last 2 years.

A typical day at work consists of sitting at a computer for 8 hrs just entering data into the system to create the final bill for customers orders.
The hardest part of the job is all the exceptions to different shippers and carriers.
Pros
Great Pay, benefits, and coworkers
Cons
Very far from home.
Good wages, terrible upper management
Rate Quote Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2015
This company has laid off so many people in the last few years, that it's become an incredibly unstable workplace. The wages are good 22-37$ per hour in Rate Quote department. The upper management have ZERO concern for employees on ground level. Most don't know how jobs below them are done, and don't care to know. Lower Management seems good and fair and hard working, but have little control when it comes to decisions made on behalf of employees, but upper mgnt.
Pros
salary
Cons
terrible working atmosphere, lack of job security, disrespectful upper management.
Challenging and Enjoyable
Billing Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB9 February 2015
Most of the work was independent, however I was in a very supportive and helpful environment. Always advancing my computer skills. Management was supportive, informative, and comfortable to go to with any problems I may have encountered. I enjoyed being able to go in and be focused on my work, and being able to strive to my goals, to become better individually with the support of a team helping me along the way.
Pros
Being able to work in the evenings
I enjoyed my job and my customers
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2014
I am extremely proficient with the AS400. A typical day would include answering incoming calls into the queu and incoming e-mails to a customer care email address. As well I had my own larger accounts that I looked after their requests.
The part I didn't enjoy was tracking shipments that were on CN
Pros
Fast paced
steady hours