Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast Passed
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Sydney, NSJune 12, 2014
Was a great first job working part time as a truck driver in the Primary Reserves but now am seeking full time employment as a Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprentice.
Excellent opportunities for travel and career advancement
Unit Sergeant Major (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 9, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, travel and courses.
Cons: available 24 hours a day and gone at times for months
As an Administrator in a Senior Management position, my typical day deals with liaising with various people, promoting team building, reviewing and writing policies and procedures, budgets and man management from a HR perspective.
What I expected.
Infantry Private (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2014
It was the military i got what I was expecting. Marching. cleaning of gear and weapons. Fitness regiments.
Great calling with excellent pride traditions and sense of family
Senior Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2014
A sense of family like no other. Comprised of like-minded people with a similar calling of service before self.

Long hours but satisfying accomplishments and success.
You wont get rich but you are treated well.
A typical day
Officer Cadet (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 30, 2014
Pros: discipline
Cons: hard work
During a normal day, officer cadets return from their various classes and begin working on inspection standards. It entails activities such as ironing dress shirts, polishing your oxfords, making everywhere dust free, and many more. We learn discipline during everyday activity, and we learn to manage our time to the fullest in order to be most effective.
The – more... hardest aspect of being an officer cadet is to make sure what we do is always in accordance with the rules and regulations. What we do, however, is rewarded with satisfaction, since the feeling of accomplishment is more worth than the effort put into it. – less
Security Advisor
Military Police (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: great job security and great people to work for.
Cons: longue hours working when working on shift and also working in embassies
My day is all in regards about security and from any incident that could compromise the security of the Country or the CAF.

I have learned very fast and everything was new from being a police officer previously and supervisor of a shift on military base working with military personnel and civilian personnel.

I have learned from previous courses and – more... the experience learned by from my supervisor was a great help when working accordingly assisting people and any one who might need assistance to do it the right way.

The best part of my jobs working in the CAF was working with great co-worker who care and taken care of the people working under my supervision was my best reward after the end of the day. I had people coming who work with me and years after were still thanksfull for the teaching and the way I let them express their ideas, this was also my favorite part of my job. – less
The Army
Signal Operator. (Corporal) (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBMay 28, 2014
Pros: lots of fun
Cons: no summers
i loved the Army reserve. It was part time, and the people there was awesome. I could still maintain a decent living off of working part time because they paid so well, not to mention that you could go on extended taskings and make really good money.

I did a lot of fun and awesome things there, and also some challenging ones as well. Definitely recommend – more... it to anyone. – less
It's the military
Rank of Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee), toronto ontarioMay 24, 2014
Wonderful Place to work
Nice people to work with
Full of interesting things to do
Productive and challenging work at canadian forces
Trooper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
The typical day at work would be the troopers gathering together and we trained for hours until it was break time and a few hours of classes.
I learned the training movements, I learned the meaning of the badges on thier shoulders. I trained at the 6month camps.
My co-workers are fun, very social, very serious and alwyas there to help and answer questions.
The – more... hardest part of the job is the long hours of standing, moving, and the physical activity.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outings, and going to the 6month training camps. – less
Gym access, Various Sports leagues provided
Weapons Engineering Technician Apprentice (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 14, 2014
Pros: free food and lodging on ship
Cons: can be repetitive if you your not driven to excel in your career.
Repair and Maintain Electronic equipment and various ship duties like cleaning storing food or materials, standing duty watches. You learn troubleshooting skills and how to prioritize goals to meet deadlines. Seamanship duties. Take charge of your career.

Management is good, and help when possible.
Family oriented workplace. Close knit crew.
Hardest – more... part is being away from loved ones when your sailing.
Most enjoyable is your doing your country a service and you meet and work with good people from different backgrounds – less
Good cameraderie
Captain, Logistics, Operations and Training (Former Employee), Trenton, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: moving
Definitely not for everyone but many people thrive there. Good training, good salary once your done training. Lots of moving though. Great benefits and pension plan.
Great carreer if you like to travel and be away from home often.
Army Communication & Information System Specialist (Former Employee), CFB PetawawaMay 5, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: being away from home so often
With the army I learned about discipline, commitment, responsibility, and accountability. I learned a lot about the world of administration and paperwork. I learned to work in a team environment as well as an individual setting. The hardest part of this job was being away from home so often. The most enjoyable part was opportunity for career advancement – more... and the security it offered (benefits, life insurance, vacation pay, pension plan, etc.). – less
Was a awesome way to start a first time job
Infantry Soldier (RES) (Former Employee), Wainwright, ABApril 27, 2014
Was a great way to learn skills for life in the future,
great training, hard work ethic and taught me about meeting timings
Diverce and everchanging work inviroment.
Master Corporal Combat Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaApril 22, 2014
Pros: lots of time off.
Cons: away from home far to long and poor leadership at all levels.
I would get to work at 7am for Physical Training (PT).
Then I would go back to the work site and conduct training and remedial taks.
Excellent Leadership abilities
Operations (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaApril 18, 2014
planning, scheduling training
instruct courses
manage/mentor junior employee's
hard part of the job-long deployments
most enjoyable part of the job-camaraderie, serving your country
Excellent Employer
Deputy Comptroller (Current Employee), Victoria, BCApril 14, 2014
If you want diverse business experience within the Canadian Armed Forces, then I would recommend any Logistics Branch Trade.
Imagery Technician
Imagery Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 12, 2014
Pros: variety of challenges
Cons: constant movement
No such thing as a typical day at work. Each day offered new challenges. Moved often, creating the chance to work in different environment and use many different skill sets. Lots of great co-workers. People changed with each posting but the dedication demonstrated by all my co-workers maintained a high standard. The hardest part of the job was leaving – more... it, retiring from the Canadian Forces after serving for almost 30 years. – less
Canadian Army
Soldier (Current Employee), Laval, QCMarch 27, 2014
- Reserve Forces
- Training
- Study
- Friends
- Weapons
- ..... & more
Always a blast (sometimes literally)
Cook (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 26, 2014
Pros: free lunchs, range days where you get to learn to shoot weapons, wages plus bonuses, garuenteed full time summer employment every summer
Cons: long hours, occassional silly or down right odd instructions, mental and physical stress
When working with the Canadian Forces - you are a soldier/sailor or airman first. This means that you are taught how to shoot, throw grenades and do all other manner of fun things while getting paid for it.
On top of this you can select a trade such as cook, vehicle or weapons technician, clerk etc. This means you will be taught your trade (which can – more... transfer over into civilian life) and be paid for it!
As the Canadian Forces is run by the Department of National Defense, the management can sometimes be an issue but for the most part your higher ups will ensure that you are taken care of.
There are all kinds of people that work in the military and although you may not like each other or generally get along you are taught how to work as a team and push your own biases aside.
The hardest part of the job for me was pushing my limits both mentally and physically. I ended up releasing due to an injury that occurred while working with the military and it still causes me issues today.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was being trained to do all of this and was not having to pay for it but was being paid to learn it. In addition to that it is one of the few jobs a 16 year old can get and make more than minimum wage. – less
its ok
tech (Current Employee), ManitobaMarch 18, 2014
Pros: free clothes
Cons: sucks
been here for 24 years ina dead end job management doesnt care

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more