Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Good experince
Crewmen (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON, Gagetown,NBJune 12, 2016
Very good experince working with the Department of National Defense. i had many experinces working with other cultures and working in any weather conditions.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Lack of career progression
Working with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF
Section Commander to the ill and injured soldiers (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Professionally work with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF and assisted with their daily administration while managing their expectations with the CAF.
I learned that with compassion and dedication one can assist some of the most injured members of our society.
The immediate management were some of the best supervisors I have ever worked for.
My co-workers were amazing and we continuously communicated and brainstormed various options to assist our clients.
The hardest part of the job was working with ill and injured soldiers that had suicidal tendencies.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting and observing ill and injured soldiers with suicidal tendencies overcome their illness and proceeding to have successfully lives to date.
Pros
Seeing an ill and injured soldier return to his unit on full active duty.
Cons
Change of policies which affected the termination of my employment.
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
Pros
Hard work and personal development.
Cons
Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
Did not use civilian edducation
MECHANIC/WELDER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 30, 2016
Unless the army taught you, you were not doing it right. They should be open to civilian training. I found it frustrating to be trained by people that knew nothing about the trade.
Pros
Good peer group
Cons
frustrating
Great
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 8, 2016
I was a member of the Royal Canadian Navy in Victoria, BC. And though my career was ended by an injury, I have la great love and respect for the Navy, Sail on, Heart of Oak
Pros
Self Esteem and Discipline
Cons
Adventure of a life time for a single person
SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  CFB EsquimaltFebruary 11, 2016
This is a great way to create a story to tell later on in life, but should be only for single persons. CFB Edmonton is a great place to work, but the Navy is hard on the personal life.
Pros
Great pay and oppertunity to see the world
Cons
Zero sence of community as you are required to move at a moments notice
Best thing that ever happen to me
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 3, 2016
I completed 28 years reg force and 3 years with the res this gave me a great pension but it does not cover kids in university
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
Hard on faimly
Excellent work environment
Lieutenant, Fire Chief, Edmonton Garrison (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 6, 2016
An amazing career with no regrets. Many different opportunities and great travel opportunities.
Educational opportunities and career advancement are abundant.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Deployments
I needed a change
Soldier in Training (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 21, 2016
I joined the military for job security. It was fun and difficult at first and took a while for me to choose a career that was right for me. In the end I finished my four year contract and decided not to resign
Pros
great pay
Productive work place with everyday being different then the day before.
Artillery Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Great place to work, family like atmosphere. Everyday is a new day to learn something new about the military or the trade you have been placed in.
fun when actually doing the job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 16, 2016
gets boring hard work due to absent fellow troops. summer taskings werre good as we practiced our jobs. lots of fun and met new people whom im still in contact with
great place to work
1 Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2016
Fast pace work environment and the best co-workers one could ask for. Always on the road makes it tough to balance work and personal life, best years of my life.
Work environment
Search and Rescue Technician (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 15, 2016
This work experience was very challenging. Working in various professional work environments provided me with unlimited networking and environmental atmospheres that required me to be versatile and open to a fast paste world.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
Pros
Great benefits and long vacations
Cons
Unknown hours and time away from home
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Pros
Training and experience
Cons
long hours, very little sleep
Heres what I learned
Army Communication Information System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Heres what learned
Advance resolution skills to unforeseen problems
Maintain control of high stress situations and environments
Excel in motivating and communicating with team members
Perform task beyond physical limits until objectives are accomplished
Perserverance through hard work
Combat Engineer, Reserves (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 7, 2016
The military offers every chance for each individual to succeed at any given task, through mental and physical instruction, and hard work.
Never Again
Armored Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Cant Say anything about this particular job as it was working with the federal government and as such everything i did was classified.
Pros
Part of a family group mentality
Cons
Too much discipline and physical exercise everyday.
Challenging Rewarding
Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 18, 2016
Best part about military service is the people you meet and work with. Worst part is the time spent away from family. Every day there is a new learning experience or task.
stable and pays well
Naval Weapons Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 29, 2016
a normal day is showing up dressed professionally and clean. Then doing technical work until 2:15 then you clean for an hour and go home.

you will be expected to stay late and possibly work through the weekend to complete work to make the ship operational.

4.3