Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Canadian Forces Serviced
Regular Force military exsperience (Former Employee), Esquimalt, BCMarch 17, 2014
Pros: excellent life skills.
Cons: made to carry empty weapons in armed un theater.
Physical training.
Platoon weapons training.
Combat first aid.
Winter warfare.
NCB training.
Human resource management, education, discipline and establishing relationships.
Health Services Group Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaMarch 13, 2014
Pros: national travel
Cons: long hours, no more job progression
Everyone who sees the military from the outside usually have no idea what we do or what goes on in our daily jobs. I worked 30 years coming up from the ground up from a working supervisor to executive level leadership. We have organization and stress management down to a science and have no issues completing tasks presented or seeking out tasks to improve – more... the companies productivity, recruiting and retention. My years of experience of putting the requirements of the service before myself led to long hours of work and extended deployments away from home. I learned to organize, how to properly allocate resources, self discipline, personal pride, teamwork, to teach and exposure to working with different nationalities in extremely trying conditions.
Bringing a team together to accomplish a task, mission or job is a very satisfying experience.
Try telling an employer that you could complete whatever task they give you in 40 degree heat, in absolute darkness with hostile people wanting to do great harm to you and then be able to successfully present it to either the common layman or to the head of the company is not always seen as hireable skills.
This is an excellent choice for young men and women seeking direction in their lives. Pride, loyalty, service before self are vanishing traits in a "me" generation. Glad to have served. – less
Amazing to work for
Steward & Flight Steward (Former Employee), Victoria and OttawaMarch 8, 2014
As a steward in the navy you were responsible to prepare and serve the officers.
Most enjoyable was the constant sailing to Hawaii and Japan.

As a steward in the air force, I was responsible to prepare the food and serve the dignitaries.

Most enjoyable was all the different countries that I got to see
Wonderful place to work with great opportunities to learn
Training Development Officer (Current Employee), Gatineau, QCMarch 3, 2014
Pros: benefits, work-family balance, work flexibility
Cons: moving towns or not knowing if you are moving every couple of years, change job positions when you are mastering it
The Canadian Armed Forces is a great place to work. The hours are flexible and the benefits are excellent. Many resources are available to us for the demands that are put on us for our country. The best part of my job is walking to work and working independently and in a team environment, learning constantly and changing positions and environments every – more... couple of years, allowing you to get challenged mentally. – less
Exciting and Challenging Environment
Target Audience Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2014
Pros: great life experience, and meet allot of new people
Cons: uncertain work hours, hard to balance personal life at times.
Life in the Canadian Armed Forces was a rewarding and challenging experience. There was never a dull moment, and plenty of opportunities for both career and personal life improvement.
Steward
Steward (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 28, 2014
Plan, coordinate, manage, monitor, and evaluate the operations and delivery of messes’ activities and facilities.

Plan, coordinate, manage, monitor, and evaluate the operations and delivery of bars’ services.

Enforce the requirements for health, hygiene, safety, and security standards and programs.

Ensure strict enforcement of provincial liquor legislation – more... and DND, CF, and B/W/U policies concerning the responsible serving of alcohol, employee drinking restrictions, and customer behaviour.

Manage employees.

Manage employees’ work schedules and monitor employees’ performance.

Manage employees’ training and development in required certification to meet provincial legislation in bar services.

Authorize, monitor and document financial transactions/commitments.

Develop and implement marketing strategy for messes’ activities and facilities.

Coordinate functions, determine staff requirements and administer the protocol, table settings and arrangements, seating plans, table service and decoration, special menus, and beverage requirements.

Manage all messes’ departments to meet operational demands (bars and events).

Attend all major messes’ functions to supervise messes’ staff, personally greet and speak with patrons, and administer general arrangements.

Respond to membership feedback and messes’ committee’s directives, keep members, PMCs and the responsible managers informed of current issues and concerns, and recommend changes to products or services where appropriate.

Develop and prepare messes’ activities, bars operations budgets and business plans.

Authorize and monitor expenses for all messes’ activities and operations.

Prepare timely and accurate financial accounting and operational reports.

Conduct periodic audits of operations and records.

Receive and reply to complaints from messes’ customers.

Assume responsibility for the management of the liquor licenses.

Ensure the application of financial, administrative, and operational controls.

Monitor and control the use of messes’ equipment and facilities assets. – less
4 Wing Mess Manager
4 Wing Mess Manager (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABFebruary 28, 2014

Manage employees.

Manage employees’ work schedules and monitor employees’ performance.

Authorize, monitor and document financial transactions/commitments.

Develop and implement marketing strategy for messes’ activities and facilities.

Manage all messes’ departments to meet operational demands (bars and events).

Authorize and monitor expenses for all messes’ activities and operations.

Prepare timely and accurate financial accounting and operational reports.

Conduct periodic audits of operations and records.

Receive and reply to complaints from messes’ customers.

Assume responsibility for the management of the liquor licenses.

Ensure the application of financial, administrative, and operational controls.

Monitor and control the use of messes’ equipment and facilities assets. – less
Hardworking trade
Line Systems Technician (Current Employee), Oromocto, NBFebruary 27, 2014
I enjoy being in the CAF because the Lineman i work with are very proud of their work and are extremely hard workers and very knowledgeable.
good career opportunities,poor life balance
Senior Vehicle Technician and Shop Supervisor (Current Employee), Gagetown, NBFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: salary, benefit, avancement
good career avancement,salary,benefit.
relocation very frequent and dont try to accommodate their member.
Great benefits, time off and job security.
Electronic Optronic Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton ABFebruary 23, 2014
Working for the Canadian Forces has been a mostly enjoyable adventure.

Depending on the trade you go into there is a lot of opportunity to gain knowledge and skills.

You have the opportunity to work for and with vast and varied types of people

The hardest part is definitely the time away from home on either courses field exercises or deployments. – more... While the most enjoyable is all the benefits, including pay and time off – less
Interesting experiance, life changing moments
Fire Suppresions (Former Employee), Comox, BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: 3 hots and a cot for free
Cons: long hours, low pay
When one feels called to serve in the armed forces a vision of gallant men marching out to save the world in cool uniforms and wild equipment to ride. Back to reality, yes there were time as described but mostly it was a job like most but the difference is they threw you in jail if you disrespected your boss or did not show up for work. I did however – more... take away with me my self worth and dignity along with a strong character and a well entrenched sense of integrity. I never take the privileges of freedom for granted. – less
It was the Army
Regular Support Staff (Former Employee), Amherst, NSFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: security and benefits
Cons: leadership, being away from home a lot and
It was a culture that is hard to forget, when you have done it for 32 years. I learned a lot from those years. The management had it's ups and downs and could be hard to work with on some days. I miss a lot of my Army buddies and miss the way of life. The hardest part of the job was always being away from home and family. I enjoyed the comradeship with – more... the job and the Army way of life, it was hard to leave. – less
Fun workplace, very good team work
Military Police (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: salary and experience
Cons: never home
Performed patrols of CFB Petawawa, residential and business sectors and responded to dispatch calls to enforce law and ensure public safety.
Investigated criminal activity; interviewed victims, witnesses and suspects.
Preserved crime scenes, gathered evidence and arrested suspects.
Enforced Criminal Code offences, National Defense act, traffic laws – more... and investigated vehicle collisions.
Wrote accurate and complete reports.
Testified in court when require – less
great career
Resource Management Support (Former Employee), Halifax, NSFebruary 6, 2014
Great choice for career, lots of fun and challenges
Hard work you have to pay attention to detail, co workers are great as everyone works in a team, hardest part is being away from home
best part is the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done
good place to work,awsome benifits
Mobile Support Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Gagetown, NBFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: always getting paid no matter what
Cons: if it makes sense the military dosnt do it
go to work drive busses/and off road vehicles,pick up troops bring them to the feild
An exciting and rewarding carreer
Resource Management Services - Sr NCO (Current Employee), GuelphFebruary 1, 2014
During a 35 year career with the Canadian Forces, I have developed strong office management skills, leadership, and instructional techniques.
Rewarding
Rifleman (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Very hard work, excellent environment to work in, very rewarding at the end of the day.
Productive and intense work environment.
Infantryman (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free meals, transport, physical conditioning, and pretty good pay for consecutive days/weeks of work.
Cons: slave pay for harder work then any other job, and the occasional trash meal.
Coming strait out of high school, I would recommend joining the reserves, only if you plan on furthering your education. If not then joining the Regular Force would be the most beneficial. I joined in my final year in high school as a three credit co-op course that will also help me pay for College/University.

Aside from the pay, you do learn a lot – more... about how far the human body can push itself before failing, and how 90% of the hardships are mental barriers that you can break if you have the will do do it. You learn very quickly whether or not the Canadian Forces is for you. Especially if your wanting to join the Infantry which I did, it is well known to be the most physically/mentally demanding careers in the Canadian Forces, let alone regular careers out side of the military.

This career should pay better than pro football players, but it doesn't. that's just the way it is. Hopefully that will change very soon.

Overall I give this job five stars not because of the pay and benefits, but because of the knowledge you gain about surviving, living fighting and how far your body can REALLY push itself above and beyond the limit you thought it had.

If you're serious about joining, make should to quit smoking if you do. You can start again if you really want to, only once you've realized how it really doesn't matter when you know it won't affect your ability to push yourself to the limits.

I don't smoke, only because it obviously does have long term effects.

It is a brotherhood, and you will not know how it feels until you are officially initiated into it.

For me, when I joined I didn't do it for the money, I just wanted a job like this, that most people really do know nothing about. Now that i'm older I do know that I need the money to live in comfort, but if the world's currency was in food and water and not in coins and paper with ink, I would choose this career without a second thought. – less
Great oppurtunities to do anything
Heavy Duty Technician - Staff Supervisor/Team Lead (Current Employee), Edmonton A.BJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: healthcare, dental, job security
Cons: salary, no overtime
My job allowed me to travel all over canada to become a mechanic from small engines to huge Tanks. I learned to work in team, a team that sometimes you depend your life on. On day to day your a regular mechanic helping to fix all of the companys vehicles. Co-workers is the best part of the job you meet so many different people and get to learn alot – more... of different techniques and tricks of the trade. Hardest part is being away from you family sometimes for long months and not being paid overtime. – less
time consuming, little work
Marine Engineer (Former Employee), halifax, nova scotiaJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
good for young people without kids, not recommended for the family man. lots of room for advancement with little benefits.

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more

Canadian Forces Photos