Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

Serve with honour
Artillery Officer (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBSeptember 21, 2015
Excellent job with wonderful co-workers. Mentally and physically challenging with chance of advancement. A job that allows a chance to make a real difference.
Pros
Travel, excitement, helping others
Cons
Time away from family
Best friends and times of my life
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, New BrunswickSeptember 16, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of physical training first thing in the morning, then for the remainder of the day would be refresher trainer so were always ready to go.

During my 14 years in the Forces I learned to be very punctual, reliable, hardworking and dedicated, no matter how big or small the task maybe, and how to ensure that you are properly prepared for those individually.

Management/the chain of command changed quite frequently and was very difficult to any one person. For the most part though, I was lead by a very well trained extremely knowledgable leadership. which lead me to also be placed on the leadership course, to allow me to progress through the ranks.

Brother in Arms are the most dependable friends you will ever have, we never leave a man behind.

The hardest part of the job was November 24th 2005, I had a friend pass in my arms.

The most enjoyable part would be all the travel, and meeting so many awesome people.
Pros
Always fit
Cons
Could have to leave your family unexpectedly
Great Career Choice
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2015
Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment — Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert — and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations. The primary duties of an Infantry Soldiers are to:

Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of weapons, including rifle, hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns, and anti-tank weapons
Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance
Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles, survival gear and personal defensive equipment
Participate in airborne operations
Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical and artillery
Engage in unarmed combat
Employ camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Officer (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONSeptember 3, 2015
The hours are great. Most bosses are pretty understanding if you need to leave early or come in late to take care of personal business. You are expected to move around (across Canada) a lot, so expect your social life to take a hit.
Had a great career and gained great experience.
Avionics Technician, Flight line Supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2015
They provided a wonderful world class adventure.
There are a large variety of aircraft to work on so the experience gained is by far the best opportunity to learn aircraft.
The hardest part is the sometimes difficult environmental work conditions. They can also be the most rewarding for personal pride of accomplishment.
Pros
Extreemely diverse work.
Cons
Sometimes limited promotions and postings.
Training for our next mission.
Army / Prison Guard with the Military. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2015
There is not much I can talk about what we do and how we do our training. Its a good place to work and learn from. Travel the world and meet new people.
Hard work, fun coworkers
Infantry (Current Employee) –  AlbertaAugust 24, 2015
Working in the CF is a great experience for those that wish to apply.
Suggest doing alot of research before getting into it as there is plenty of trades in the CF
Pros
Free food
Cons
Get yelled at
Master corporal supervisor of men
armour corp (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Edmonton ,Ottawa, overseasAugust 20, 2015
always something new, I have learned all of what makes me today. Management never asked you to do something they were not willing to do or have done themselves. my co-workers; I would consider brothers. Hardest part of this job was leaving my family. The best part of this job was being able to help people and protect our freedom as Canadians.
It's the military
Artillerymen (Private) (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NBAugust 5, 2015
IF YOU LIKE STRUCTURE, IF YOU LIKE BE YELLED AT, THEN THIS JOB IS FOR YOU! WANNA STAY UP TILL 2AM CLEANING YOUR RIFLE AFTER A DAY OF MARCHING AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT! THEN JOIN! WANNA SEE A BUNCH OF MASOCHIST PUNISH THEMSELVES WHILE THEY PUNISH YOU! THEN JOIN! THIS JOB IS GREAT, I LOVE BEING A GRUNT IN THE MILITARY! I'M GOING TO BE A PRIVATE FOREVER! I LOVE GETTING THE SAME $90 A DAY WHETHER I WORK 6 HOURS OR 24 HOURS!
Pros
THEY FEED YOU, AND YOU CAN RETIRE EARLY!
Cons
YOU COULD DIE!
Be very aware of "Non Public Funds- NPF"
Deputy Regional Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  CFB EdmontonJuly 26, 2015
The life of working for NPF side of the CF is full of politics and disorganization.
You get treated as if you are in the army and expected to commit your life to them, just as the soldiers do.
There is no end to your work day, as you are expected to eat, breathe and sleep about your work.
Don't expect to have much of a family life, or work life balance. There are smoke and mirrors around this.
Training and support is dismal at best.
If you choose to work here, your eyes will be opened wide after you have been there at least 6 months.
good place to work
Military (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ontarioJuly 17, 2015
good place to work good benefits and good vacation. opportunities for advancement and many of the positives out weight the negatives
Alright for a few years.
Artillery Soldier ( 1 RCHA) (Current Employee) –  Shilo, MBJuly 14, 2015
First few years were fun. But then you actually get to see how horrible they treat you and how it is hard to actually have a life outside of the army
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Unpredictabilty
the canadian armed forces as a whole
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJuly 11, 2015
its a good career with many options of field enhancement option courses and such. always able to advance in ranks, ranks come with pay raises
To serve and protect our Country
CAPTAIN (Former Employee) –  Halifax, and VictoriaJuly 3, 2015
servered in the CAF both reservist and regular forces. Promoted to the rank of Capt.. Received my university degree. Best yrs of my life and the training was par excellent
A productive and fun place to work
Instructor for The Canadian Armed Forces (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONJune 29, 2015
The Candadian Forces is a demanding fast paced place to work.
This institution is not for everyone. This Job requires you to have a sence of duty and honour and love of your country. The hardest part of the job is leaving kids and wife and family when required to do missions the "average" person would never get out of bed for...takes courage and conviction of duty.

seeing the world, getting 24 days off + per year to spend with friends and family
Pros
24+ paid days off per year
Cons
sometimes missions keep you away from family for long periods of time
a great place to work
Naval Combat Information Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria BCJune 29, 2015
a great place to work. lots of travel and foreign ports visit when ship is at sea. Watches are extremely hard on the body, sleep is not a huge priority.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
lots of down time
Great environment, learning new skills each day
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Aurora, OnJune 23, 2015
Exciting work and with great people. It allows you to put yourself in any role. The most enjoyable part is going out to the field and completing exercises.
Canadian Armed Forces
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  ottawa onJune 14, 2015
The CF is a very fulfilling career. If you work hard, the opportunity to advance through the ranks is there. You will gain an additional family.
Pros
job security
Cons
relocation
Professional organization!
Boatswain, Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 8, 2015
Learned a great deal about myself and the Canadian Forces during my over twenty year career.

Every day was a different challenge.

Supervised and worked with numerous people from a wide variety of trades and backgrounds.
Pros
Proud to serve my country!
Cons
Long periods of time away from home
New learning experiences every day
Reserves Intelligence Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 22, 2015
Being part of the Canadian Forces has been a fulfilling experience. I have learned how to work well in a team and how to communicate my ideas properly.

4.3