Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

the canadian armed forces as a whole
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJuly 11, 2015
its a good career with many options of field enhancement option courses and such. always able to advance in ranks, ranks come with pay raises
good place to work
Military (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ontarioJuly 17, 2015
good place to work good benefits and good vacation. opportunities for advancement and many of the positives out weight the negatives
Served in the military
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, Germany and YugoslaviaJanuary 25, 2016
I served in the military for 23 years of my life. I served my country as my father, grandfather, and my brother. I was willing to put my life on the line at any moment. I served oversea and spent 6 months in Yugo on U.N. Duty. My job the on U.N. Duty was to clear mines and booby trap devices. I would serve again if I could. Life was not easy at all times while I serve and did my best to do the job I did. The longest day that I worked was bridge building were we worked for 36 hr before we were aloud to sleep ( it was a great time ).
Excellent job, great benefits
Chief Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Typical day at work includes approving pay, supervising 4 other clerks, doing reports for headquarters, keeping Commanding Officer informed of all activities and ensuring that all deadlines are met. I have learned just about everything I know administratively from this job and also have held a leadership role in my day to day activities. I have always had a great working relationship with my coworkers whether they were my subordinates, peers or supervisors. The hardest part of my job was moving from one position to another position within the Canadian Forces which sometimes included moving to a different city. My most enjoyable part of my job with the Canadian Forces was learning different jobs and meeting new people.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
travelling involved, working some weekends and week nights
Not what you expect
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
If you love army stuff, its bittersweet.
A lot of the time you're sitting around. Hurry up and wait is the old saying and it's spot on.
When you're training the leadership always finds a way to make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Decent salary, quick promotions
Cons
Long hours, away from home a lot.
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
Pros
Hard work and personal development.
Cons
Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
Great job serving our country
Aviation Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONMay 25, 2016
I love my job. I enjoy serving the country while working as an aircraft mechanic. It is a fulfilling position that allows me daily opportunities to test my knowledge and skill level while working with a very dynamic group of individuals.
Amazing workplace but not for all
Non Commissioned Member (Pte) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 13, 2016
Unlike many other jobs for students this one requires a huge personal commitment and set of mind that is not present in other jobs. I loved my time their but found that I was not suited for the military life style that is found in the reserves.
Pros
Great bonds
Cons
Great deal of change required
Excellent organization to build a career from
Imagery Technician and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada and World wideNovember 4, 2015
I spent 37 years 7 months and 28 days in the Canadian Armed Forces and I would do it all over again if I could. I spent the first 9 years in the Army as a Field Engineer where I was involved in construction roads and bridges, destruction using demolitions, operating armoured vehicles and Combat diving. In 1987 I transferred to the Air force as an Imagery Technician where I provided imagery support and advice to senior commanders. I was involved in operations in the air, on land, on the water and underwater.
Pros
Job security
Unique Experience
Regular Force Air Force Avionics System Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJune 9, 2016
You will not experience anything quite like the Canadian Military. I was an Avionics Systems Technician and an Infantryman. Both were completely opposite careers. Both were fantastic opportunities.
Good work environment,opportunity to advance
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2016
Eight hour day less 1/2 for lunch. Overall stress free comfortable work environment, though there is not much challenge in the day to day repetitiveness.
Pros
Stability and Job security
Cons
Micro management
A workplace where you can appply your skills and knowlege to making a real difference.
Instructor and e-Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 29, 2016
Excellent job, great co-workers and skills that are transportable to my civilian occupation. Allows me to use my education and civilian background as a Reservist in the CAF.
Enjoyed sailing and being on the water
Sonar Operator I (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 17, 2016
There is no job like it. you get to travel the world and experience unique and fun challenges in an ever changing environment . The leadership I have gained through my experiences has been life changing
Proudly serving Canadian Armed Forces
Governor General Foot Guards/Ceremonial Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
- Strong team ethic
- Clear and structured environment
- Lots of room for advancement
- Wide spectrum of training and skill building
- Pride of work
Pros
Being part of a proud and diverse history
Cons
Managing time within civilian life
CAF is one of the best companies to work at
Private (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCMay 9, 2016
I learned how to maintain a healthy, and a consistent lifestyle , as well as the importance of my chain of command. Further more, they also give an excellent options in terms of job security and such.
Pros
Healthy lifestlyle
Cons
Productive and full of experiences that are enjoyable
Mechanic/Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Comox, BCNovember 6, 2014
A typical day of work would start with 1 hour of physical exercise. After this we would move into working on vehicles, organizing workloads and ordering parts. The management above me was very observant and would take recommendations on how to improve work safety and how to decrease downtime of a vehicle. We would have weekly meetings to discuss all of these points and give updates. My co-workers were dedicated to getting the jobs completed in a safe and timely manner. The hardest part of the job was being deployed to the field and waiting on parts to arrive but this was usually the funnest time as you did other things to allow an individual grow into a leader.
Pros
the ability to run my own section, benefits and pension
Cons
cost of living versus the salary
Good experince
Crewmen (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON, Gagetown,NBJune 12, 2016
Very good experince working with the Department of National Defense. i had many experinces working with other cultures and working in any weather conditions.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Lack of career progression
Did not use civilian edducation
MECHANIC/WELDER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 30, 2016
Unless the army taught you, you were not doing it right. They should be open to civilian training. I found it frustrating to be trained by people that knew nothing about the trade.
Pros
Good peer group
Cons
frustrating
fun when actually doing the job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 16, 2016
gets boring hard work due to absent fellow troops. summer taskings werre good as we practiced our jobs. lots of fun and met new people whom im still in contact with
Great work environment
Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONFebruary 18, 2016
My career so far as a CF Firefighter has been fun and rewarding. I would suggest to anyone looking for an exciting career to apply.

4.3