Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive work place with lots of opportunity for learning
Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 9, 2014
Pros: travel, world and life experience
Cons: time away from family
A typical day starts with any faults or deficiencies which may require the attention of a technician. If there are no deficiencies we carry on with Plan Maintenance on each piece of equipment on our ship.
I entered the Navy as a Red Seal construction / Commercial electrician and have learned more Industrial electrical skills.
Management in the Armed Forces is all about rank structure, information is passed up and down the ranks so that all individuals are informed on up coming and on going jobs.
As a Sailor your co-workers are more then just co-workers. You are a team who looks after one another, when you are at sea all you have is each other for any type of emergency.
The hardest part of the job would be long deployments, 3 or 4 and up to 8 months long.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie and the relationships you build.
R.C.N
NCI-OP (Former Employee), Halifax,N.SJuly 15, 2014
Pros: great job security, great benefits and job perks/vacation time. pay scale, room for promotion.
Cons: stressful, organizational difficiencies, not enough adequate/responsible supervision
Work from 7:30 until 15:45 daily monday to friday. Duty watches 1-15(one every fifteen days weekends included). Duty watches consist of one 12 hour watch with a 15 min break for lunch and supper. Or two 6 hour watches with one 10 min break. I've learned security maintaining skills, firefighting as well. Hardest part of the job for me was being away from family, various stressors incuding: co-workers gossip, personality clashes/conflict. Inconsistent organization from management and co-workers was constant due to posting in and out of personnel. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experiences, sailing around to different parts of the world. Foreign ports were a lot of fun. Hanging out/ working alongside the many friends I had made along the way. Time off was also a bonus.
Stressfull and demanding work enviornment.
Armoured Recce Soldier (Current Employee), Toronto, ON.May 6, 2015
Pros: Many life skills and disciplins achieved.
Cons: Difficult to make time for along with civilian life.
As an Armoured Recce Soldier within the reserves for just over a year i'v gained excellent leadership, ability to work with others, organisational, communication, ability to work under stress, and technical skills. The average days at work can be from a mere evening parade night of 3.5 hours spent maintaining equipment and participating in in class theory and practical skills to living out in the wilderness up to a couple of weeks training within our units in high intensity, fast paced, extremily disciplined enviornments with little to no sleep from days at a time.I work with great people all equally driven to serve ones country who offer support. The hardest part of the job for me personally is balancing it with civilian life and going through schooling. The most enjoyable part of this job for me is being abe to fulfill a chidhood dream of serving my country and obtaining life long skills in the process.
Crewman
Crewman Tank Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 15, 2012
Pros: experiences, friends, discipline
Cons: away from family, to many bosses
I have enjoyed my time in the Canadian Forces and have learned more here about my life then I could have imagined. Its not a job for everyone, and I had to come to the realization that my time in the Military had come to and end. Its time for me to start my new career.

A Typical day at work for me would have been showing up for work at 0730-0800, doing physical exercises until 0900 then starting work at 10:00. Working on vehicles, or doing tank maintenance until noon. Random tasks throughout the day from sweeping floors to helping fellow co-workers with paper work.

The hardest part of the job was being away from my family for weeks at a time with nothing to show for it. Leaving my home on a moments notice can be stressful.

I loved the job the most when I got to show civilians my job, and my day to day work. Driving a tank, taking people for a drive on a tank, working with large groups of people to accomplish large tasks. Working with the public, and people saying "thank you" for doing our jobs as Military members.
Fitness Instructor position
fitness instructor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2015
Pros: Laid back work environment, friendly staff, meet new people
Cons: politics surrounding PSP, wage, no opportunities for advancement
I worked as a Fitness Instructor with the CF for 5 years. Its a great opportunity to learn about military culture and meet many different people, while also being able to use your fitness/health skills to create fitness classes, programming to a wide variety of individuals.

The Fitness Instructor job was great to start but in Winnipeg there are no opportunities for advancement and you get stuck in that role unless you leave to take on other opportunities. The programming is very busy and demanding at times. Recent cutbacks with Fitness staff saw a loss of great instructors and loss of trust within DND to provide job security.

The hourly wage is not nearly enough for what you do and although the job has perks (clothing allowance, comp time, workout breaks) the hourly wage does not make up for that, hence why people move on to other jobs where they are compensated fairly.
A satisfying personal achievement, a learning experience on value and honor, a sense of sel worth, self discipline and duty of service for my country.
Infantryman/driver for armored vehicle, LAV111 (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: good pay, with security, pleny of oppertunity for advancement
Cons: away from family, prone to injury for obvious reasons
a typical day at work would be early morning physical training with your platoon usually lasting about an hour, alternating different exercises on a daily basis, maintenance of weapons and military vehicle is followed after physical training. recital classes are required, usually following up on previous courses taken, new courses are also available to you. your constantly working with a platoon size group of 15 to 20 each having an opportunity to take charge, learning all there is to know about leadership. the most rewarding part of the job is putting together all the skills and knowledge about the job and executing it when a situation is presented.
Great job stability and benefits. But new experiences await.
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 13, 2013
Working with the Canadian Forces has been a great experience. I have had the opportunity to travel the world and see things that I never would have been able to otherwise. The training that I have received was exceptional and highly useful in a multitude of different situations. I have learned how to be an effective leader, a reliable employee and a skilled administrative professional.
Over the last five years, I have had the good fortune of working with some of the best, most dedicated soldiers in our forces and have made life long friends all over the country.
The hardest part of the job would be the long hours and the sometimes undesirable postings. The most enjoyable is having the ability to serve my country and help those who are not in a position to help themselves.
At this point, I feel that it is time for me to move on to a different challenge, and work with the Military on a more part time basis.
Discipline, respect and team work
Clerk (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 20, 2015
Before my injury it would be an early morning run, followed by exercise either outside or at the gym. We would then learn new things daily and perfect other skills that we had already learned. All of this was in a very high paced environment where you had to work well both as an individual and a team member. Once I was unable to perform the physical requirements of the career my work day consisted of filing content sensitive data, completing orders for the entire base in regards to all of the reading materials they used, banners, books, business cards, etc While I was unable to complete the physical requirements of the profession, my mind remains just as sharp as ever, if not better. This is not to say that I am handicapped in any way shape or form.
Productive and full of experiences that are enjoyable
Mechanic/Shop Supervisor (Current Employee), Comox, BCNovember 6, 2014
Pros: the ability to run my own section, benefits and pension
Cons: cost of living versus the salary
A typical day of work would start with 1 hour of physical exercise. After this we would move into working on vehicles, organizing workloads and ordering parts. The management above me was very observant and would take recommendations on how to improve work safety and how to decrease downtime of a vehicle. We would have weekly meetings to discuss all of these points and give updates. My co-workers were dedicated to getting the jobs completed in a safe and timely manner. The hardest part of the job was being deployed to the field and waiting on parts to arrive but this was usually the funnest time as you did other things to allow an individual grow into a leader.
Working for the Military is a challenge unlike any other in my opnion
Chief Cook (Current Employee), Petawawa OnFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great benefits and unique working environment
Cons: postings
My day begins with morning Physical training which I'm usually in charge of. The rest of my day is commited to the supervision of my section ensuring that any and all pers admin is completed as well as all food services requirements are met.

My co-workers range from 19 -45 and are all of different races, we all get along extremely well there is a very strong brotherly bond with soldiers. I would have to say that is one of mty favourite parts of working for the Military.

I have not really come across any one specific thing that I personally find difficult with my job. If I had to pick one thing it might be adjusting to the younger generation and how they see things.
extreme training very intense
Infantier (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONDecember 21, 2012
Pros: getting paid to workout
Cons: constant discipline can be rough at times
I wasn't able to give salary/benefits a rating, it's a 5 star.

Everyday was very regulated and precise. We would get up at 0500hrs do a 5k run along with strength traning and or group activites such as football, soccer. Continued with drill and discipline.
Managment was up and down it really depended on who was in charge that particular day.
My co-workers were the links in the chain, if they were'nt there the job would have been a mess.
The hardest part of the job would have been the physical fitness on 0 hrs sleep in a span of 3 days.
The most enjoyable part was the comradery between the soldiers, the ability to work in cohesion with them.
Security Advisor
Military Police (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: great job security and great people to work for.
Cons: longue hours working when working on shift and also working in embassies
My day is all in regards about security and from any incident that could compromise the security of the Country or the CAF.

I have learned very fast and everything was new from being a police officer previously and supervisor of a shift on military base working with military personnel and civilian personnel.

I have learned from previous courses and the experience learned by from my supervisor was a great help when working accordingly assisting people and any one who might need assistance to do it the right way.

The best part of my jobs working in the CAF was working with great co-worker who care and taken care of the people working under my supervision was my best reward after the end of the day. I had people coming who work with me and years after were still thanksfull for the teaching and the way I let them express their ideas, this was also my favorite part of my job.
good place to work good surroundings and great people
Cpl (Corporal) (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great training traveling
Cons: away from home at long periods
Being in the Canadian armed forces infantry was amazing. It was like being apart of a brotherhood with tuff love. the hardest part of the job were the "gut checks" witch means to do something so hard it made you want to quit... but when you didn't quit it was an achievement. the most enjoyable part of the job to me was get dirty and those hard days because it reminded me that I was actually earning my pay. The typical day at work was, in the morning we would start off with PT (physical training) and then after such we would do maintenance on all the gear or we would head out to the field to do some drills and shooting at the range.
Great Career Choice
Infantryman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Long Hours
Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment — Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert — and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations. The primary duties of an Infantry Soldiers are to:

Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of weapons, including rifle, hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns, and anti-tank weapons
Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance
Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles, survival gear and personal defensive equipment
Participate in airborne operations
Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical and artillery
Engage in unarmed combat
Employ camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics.
Excellent job, great benefits
Chief Clerk (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: travelling involved, working some weekends and week nights
Typical day at work includes approving pay, supervising 4 other clerks, doing reports for headquarters, keeping Commanding Officer informed of all activities and ensuring that all deadlines are met. I have learned just about everything I know administratively from this job and also have held a leadership role in my day to day activities. I have always had a great working relationship with my coworkers whether they were my subordinates, peers or supervisors. The hardest part of my job was moving from one position to another position within the Canadian Forces which sometimes included moving to a different city. My most enjoyable part of my job with the Canadian Forces was learning different jobs and meeting new people.
Interesting experiance, life changing moments
Fire Suppresions (Former Employee), Comox, BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: 3 hots and a cot for free
Cons: long hours, low pay
When one feels called to serve in the armed forces a vision of gallant men marching out to save the world in cool uniforms and wild equipment to ride. Back to reality, yes there were time as described but mostly it was a job like most but the difference is they threw you in jail if you disrespected your boss or did not show up for work. I did however take away with me my self worth and dignity along with a strong character and a well entrenched sense of integrity. I never take the privileges of freedom for granted.
Professional and relaxing atmospher, friendly place to work, enjoy the security, nice how everyone is helpful and patient
Dental Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 26, 2012
Pros: perfect hours, good staff, good salary, healthy work enviroment
I enjoyed showing up to see everyone, great bunch of people to work with. I learned, a varity a experiences Ex. Reception Skills, compture skills, learned new procedures at the Dental chair, learned to relax and enjoy my work place.

Management, was very pleasant and easy to approch if needed. My Co- Workers were amazing group of people to work with. I looked forward to showing up everyday at work. You were always greeted with a smile and laughter in the morning. I can't say, there was really any hard time at my job, the only harest part was saying good-bye to the job and co-workers. Most enjoyable part was the patients and co-workers. Never felt stressed, was a great part of the job.
Co-Driver (Current Employee), London DetachmentDecember 7, 2014
Pros: great working enviroment
Cons: being away from home for extended days.
While working for the forces as a co-driver i learned how to be a team player and how to grow as a team. in the forces we learn that it is not a individuals job the only way to have a strong forces is to work together in all aspects. When on duty i would go in and sit in a briefing room to learn the task at hand for the day. then i would group up with my section and find out what everybody strengths are and work in that manner. the management was great because everybody new what needed to be done and it was clearly communicated. the hardest part of being in the forces is the being away from home from time to time for weekends. The best part of being a member of the forces is the brotherhood bond that is made its one big happy family.
Extremely productive workplace.
Enginner (Former Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 3, 2013
Pros: free meals, endless amounts of physical training.
Cons: 18 hour days.
My review of the Canadian Forces is extremely great! The typical day for us on base during training would be physical training daily, partake in three meals a day, and classroom sessions learning our fundamental skills for the Army and our trade. I learned Advanced CPR, Basic Field Surgeon, Minor Explosives details, extreme discipline. My fellow privates, we all got along great. We all struggled and gave a helping hand to the ones in need. The hardest part of the job was trying to get the required six hours of sleep needed to do the long 18 hour days. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the physical training in the mornings. The three meals we got to eat at the Holiday Inn each day.
Great Work Place
Private Trained (Gunner) (Former Employee), Shilo, MBApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lunch was 1hr and a half
Cons: working long hours in the field for 7 to 14 days straight.
We would start our day off at 0730hrs with physical training until about 0830hrs then we would get sent home to shower and change then back to work for usually 0900hrs or 0930hrs. Our day would consist of weapons and vehicle maintenance, cleaning our work area or doing drill practice which consist of either weapons or parade practice. We would go for lunch from 1130hrs to 1300hrs, then repeat our morning routines if necessary then our day would end at 1600hrs. Its a great work environment, with lots of driven people and a great chain of command. Work days were Monday to Friday with weekends off, unless we deployed to the field for a Regimental Exercise which usually goes from 7 to 14 days straight.