Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Not what you expect
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
If you love army stuff, its bittersweet.
A lot of the time you're sitting around. Hurry up and wait is the old saying and it's spot on.
When you're training the leadership always finds a way to make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Decent salary, quick promotions
Cons
Long hours, away from home a lot.
Amazing Opportunity
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 19, 2016
This is a great career with a wide array of job opportunity and a chance to get a great education. The work is tough, with a high probability of a lack of sleep. You are fed and housed for the duration of your contract and are often provided transportation.

There are many different people from all walks of life and learning can potentially never end. Training and advancement are set out for your entire career.

University is paid for with the requirement of time in service.
College is reimbursed up to a low amount and only in fields that is listed by them.

Hard work, but you earn a family.
Pros
The sky is the limit.
Cons
Pay scale is set by the govn't with no bonuses. Not an easy job, most of the time.
A soldier's life...
Soldier (rank - Master Corporal) (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my service to Canada, to review a 'company' such as the Canadian military is not possible in such a format as this.
edmonton
Telecommunications Technician (lineman) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2016
i work for the canadian forces for 9 years it was alright i guess i'm really just filling this in because i have too apparently
CAF is one of the best companies to work at
Private (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCMay 9, 2016
I learned how to maintain a healthy, and a consistent lifestyle , as well as the importance of my chain of command. Further more, they also give an excellent options in terms of job security and such.
Pros
Healthy lifestlyle
Cons
Productive work place with everyday being different then the day before.
Artillery Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Great place to work, family like atmosphere. Everyday is a new day to learn something new about the military or the trade you have been placed in.
Did not use civilian edducation
MECHANIC/WELDER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 30, 2016
Unless the army taught you, you were not doing it right. They should be open to civilian training. I found it frustrating to be trained by people that knew nothing about the trade.
Pros
Good peer group
Cons
frustrating
A workplace where you can appply your skills and knowlege to making a real difference.
Instructor and e-Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 29, 2016
Excellent job, great co-workers and skills that are transportable to my civilian occupation. Allows me to use my education and civilian background as a Reservist in the CAF.
I needed a change
Soldier in Training (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 21, 2016
I joined the military for job security. It was fun and difficult at first and took a while for me to choose a career that was right for me. In the end I finished my four year contract and decided not to resign
Pros
great pay
Great Employer
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 19, 2016
Depending on the tasking or course we could be working for 8 hours or 24 hours straight.

learned heavy equipment operation
Productive Job, Great people, FAMILY
Casualty Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 19, 2016
I enrolled in the Canadian Forces (CF) back in 1989 and have loved every minute of it. I got to meet great people, travel, play sports and have a career.

Over my time in the CF, I have learned to appreciate the things that we as Canadians take for granted: running water, electricity, transportation, communication devices. As being part of an Observation Force Team, I have gone to countries that are war torn, and do not have the luxuries and programs that we as Canadians have.
Pros
Great people, rewarding job
Challenging Rewarding
Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 18, 2016
Best part about military service is the people you meet and work with. Worst part is the time spent away from family. Every day there is a new learning experience or task.
Meh
MSE OP (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2016
Everyone has a different experience with the military. Mine was particularly full of things falling through and being disliked by childish higher ups. I loved the opportunity and the training, but it was just run like a bully camp, and there are way too many slugs and insecure losers in higher positions that really shouldn't be. I made friends for life, but at the end of it I was screwed out of so many things and treated poorly that it was not a welcoming or enjoyable experience by the end.
Pros
Learn great skills
Cons
way too many weirdos and insecure losers.
Amazing workplace but not for all
Non Commissioned Member (Pte) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 13, 2016
Unlike many other jobs for students this one requires a huge personal commitment and set of mind that is not present in other jobs. I loved my time their but found that I was not suited for the military life style that is found in the reserves.
Pros
Great bonds
Cons
Great deal of change required
Working with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF
Section Commander to the ill and injured soldiers (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Professionally work with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF and assisted with their daily administration while managing their expectations with the CAF.
I learned that with compassion and dedication one can assist some of the most injured members of our society.
The immediate management were some of the best supervisors I have ever worked for.
My co-workers were amazing and we continuously communicated and brainstormed various options to assist our clients.
The hardest part of the job was working with ill and injured soldiers that had suicidal tendencies.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting and observing ill and injured soldiers with suicidal tendencies overcome their illness and proceeding to have successfully lives to date.
Pros
Seeing an ill and injured soldier return to his unit on full active duty.
Cons
Change of policies which affected the termination of my employment.
Excellent work environment
Lieutenant, Fire Chief, Edmonton Garrison (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 6, 2016
An amazing career with no regrets. Many different opportunities and great travel opportunities.
Educational opportunities and career advancement are abundant.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Deployments
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
long hours and movement on a moments notice
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
infantry
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBMarch 28, 2016
my time in the army was great i enjoyed all the experiences and the traveling and all the cool things you get to do but its a goood mix of suck and fun. in the end i enjoyed my time there
Pros
free food
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.

4.3