Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Rewarding
Rifleman (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Very hard work, excellent environment to work in, very rewarding at the end of the day.
Productive and intense work environment.
Infantryman (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free meals, transport, physical conditioning, and pretty good pay for consecutive days/weeks of work.
Cons: slave pay for harder work then any other job, and the occasional trash meal.
Coming strait out of high school, I would recommend joining the reserves, only if you plan on furthering your education. If not then joining the Regular Force would be the most beneficial. I joined in my final year in high school as a three credit co-op course that will also help me pay for College/University.

Aside from the pay, you do learn a lot – more... about how far the human body can push itself before failing, and how 90% of the hardships are mental barriers that you can break if you have the will do do it. You learn very quickly whether or not the Canadian Forces is for you. Especially if your wanting to join the Infantry which I did, it is well known to be the most physically/mentally demanding careers in the Canadian Forces, let alone regular careers out side of the military.

This career should pay better than pro football players, but it doesn't. that's just the way it is. Hopefully that will change very soon.

Overall I give this job five stars not because of the pay and benefits, but because of the knowledge you gain about surviving, living fighting and how far your body can REALLY push itself above and beyond the limit you thought it had.

If you're serious about joining, make should to quit smoking if you do. You can start again if you really want to, only once you've realized how it really doesn't matter when you know it won't affect your ability to push yourself to the limits.

I don't smoke, only because it obviously does have long term effects.

It is a brotherhood, and you will not know how it feels until you are officially initiated into it.

For me, when I joined I didn't do it for the money, I just wanted a job like this, that most people really do know nothing about. Now that i'm older I do know that I need the money to live in comfort, but if the world's currency was in food and water and not in coins and paper with ink, I would choose this career without a second thought. – less
Great oppurtunities to do anything
Heavy Duty Technician - Staff Supervisor/Team Lead (Current Employee), Edmonton A.BJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: healthcare, dental, job security
Cons: salary, no overtime
My job allowed me to travel all over canada to become a mechanic from small engines to huge Tanks. I learned to work in team, a team that sometimes you depend your life on. On day to day your a regular mechanic helping to fix all of the companys vehicles. Co-workers is the best part of the job you meet so many different people and get to learn alot – more... of different techniques and tricks of the trade. Hardest part is being away from you family sometimes for long months and not being paid overtime. – less
time consuming, little work
Marine Engineer (Former Employee), halifax, nova scotiaJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
good for young people without kids, not recommended for the family man. lots of room for advancement with little benefits.
Hard rewarding work
Combat Engineering Officer (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: secure work
Cons: military politics
Great opportunities in life but work is very hard and military politics are the worst.
Gives great skills that can be used in every aspect of life
Corporal (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 15, 2014
The CF is a great place for a career path and also picking up skills that can be used anywhere in life. The Forces train you in a way so that time management responsibility and teamwork become a huge asset for your life.
An unforgettable experience
Private (Basic) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: get exercise
Cons: the stress
The Canadian Forces was brutal, and so rewarding because of it, I will never forget the skills and morals I learned while in training.
Pride and Honor
Administrations Clerk (Former Employee), Windsor OntarioJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: life lessons
Cons: early wake up
Great experience. New faces and long lasting friendships.
Productive, family friendly environment to work.
Resource Administrator (Current Employee), Gagetown, Oromocto, NBJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: great opportunity for professional advancement
Cons: they are times when one is required to be away from family for a long period of time; so, an individual must be ready for those times before joining
My day starts with Physical Fitness; the rest of the day revolves around customer service, project management, research on multiple topics, writing reports, presentations of findings.

I have learned the importance of being able to work in team and individually. Communication, planning and being organized helps me and the team to meet deadlines and – more... avoid unnecessary stress.

The management pays attention to personnel's professional needs (skills and training) and accommodates family needs as much as possible

My co-workers are very important to my everyday work life, without their trust and commitment to personal and team responsibilities nothing could be achieved. Simply put - my co-workers are very important.

The hardest part of the job is the requirement to move often anywhere in the country whenever needed. This can be hard on families.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to learn multiple skills and being able to handle multiple tasks. I enjoy working in a fat paced environment and the opportunity to work both indoor and outdoor environment. – less
Great place for a young person
Infantry (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: friends, experiences
Cons: away from home a lot with no compensation
I was in the infantry. I would suggest joining right out of high school and serving a contract. Some of the best times and some of the worst times I have had will always be in the army
GREAT EXPERIENCE
CORPORAL - DETACHMENT COMMANDER (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 3, 2014
LEARNED A LOT
GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR A YOUNG PERSON. BETTER THAN FLIPPING BURGERS McDonald's. YOU WILL LEARN TO PUSH YOUR MIND AND BODY TO LIMITS YOU NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE AND THEN EXCEED THEM. YOU WILL LEARN TO ADAPT AND OVERCOME
Fun and very diverse place to work.
Various positions & ranks/Safety Representative (Former Employee), VariousDecember 19, 2013
Member of a rifle team. Repair and maintain aircraft. Work closely with team members and as an individual.
Busy but Rewarding work environment
Regional Atlantic Network Administrator (Current Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 16, 2013
Pros: excellent work environment
Cons: job security
Respectful place to work, employee recognition constantly given for efforts through management - very motivating place to work.People are amazing to support.
Incredible opportunities await
Infantry - Section command (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 10, 2013
Pros: unique, once in a lifetime experiences
Cons: can be very demanding
The Canadian Armed Forces is one the only career paths I know that can completely transform and individual into a better version of themselves. The Canadian Armed Forces is a community not a corporation. A multitude of career paths can be followed, every job that exist in a functioning society is offered within the CAF and there are many unique experiences – more... to live that only the Canadian Armed Forces can provide. – less
Good travel opportunities.
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLDecember 8, 2013
Pros: travel.
Cons: long hours not equal to pay.
Long days. Repetitious work. Poor management. Co-workers were fine but higher ranking positions were usually power hungry. Really enjoyed using weaponry.
Completely unique environment with great perks
Personnel Support Programs Manager (Current Employee), Canadian Forces Base SuffieldDecember 5, 2013
What more can I say? The environment is unique, extremely dynamic, and provides much advancement opportunity.
Constantly busy, very rewarding, extremely secure employment
AVIATION TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron, Patricia Bay, BCDecember 3, 2013
Pros: extremely secure employment
Cons: retirment age limit restrictions
A typical day would see me meeting my small work crew and briefing them on the days work plans and expectations. I would disperse the daily tasks to suit each employees specialty skills and periodically confer with the team. At the end of the day, it was my job to inspect and sign for their work.

My responsibility is to report to mid-level management – more... my teams productivity for each day. I am held accountable for the results of their production.

I found the most challenging part of the job (sometimes) is having to do more with less. Not enough trained personnel.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my employees receiving the recognition for a job well done!

I have learned two very important things in 33+ years employment here.

1. There is always something new to learn. You must be able to adapt to changing situations at any time.

2. Respect is earned. It is not issued nor is it an entitlement simply because of rank or position. – less
Multitude of experiences. Very rewarding career.
Infantryman (Former Employee), Petawawa, EdmontonDecember 2, 2013
Great career for camaraderie. I learned a multitude of skills and leadership techniques. If you worked hard and learned quickly, promotions and further learning opportunity came easily. I did things that I will never experience anywhere else.
Very gratifing job with a lot of exciting courses
Driver and detachment member on M777 Howitzer (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONNovember 25, 2013
Pros: traveling
Cons: no opinion
0730 Physical training
0830 Shower/ breakfast
0930 Clean and maintain howitzers, rifles, all gun stores. Classes on fire discipline and other military tactics.
1200 Lunch
1300 Cleaning building, various classes.
1600 Dismissed

I learnt from the beginning to follow orders and carry out task as asked in the minimum amount of time but done effectively. – more... Further on I learnt how to take orders and direct them to fellow soldiers and make sure the task was done.

The management is always sending stuff down the structural pyramid with the confidence that it will get done, sometimes with absolutely no direction and timeline. There is a lack of communication and insight on what they would like to happen.

From the lowest rank to the highest rank in directly in charge of me my co workers for the most part are great guys and girls. The cohesion between all of us is great and we can all work as a team at any given time.

Going out into the field is always the most difficult part of any military job as you never know what to expect could happen. Training is always physically and mentally exhausting.

Traveling and being part of a family like no other, I've always been honored to wear my country's flag on my shoulder. – less
explore the world and kill people
Corporal (Former Employee), Afghanistan, Lybia, PhilippiesNovember 25, 2013
Pros: travel, meet alot of people, learn about different cultures, training
Cons: working alongside us troops
discipline is crucial in military life, it could mean the difference between life and death

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more

Canadian Forces Photos