Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

Meh
MSE OP (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2016
Everyone has a different experience with the military. Mine was particularly full of things falling through and being disliked by childish higher ups. I loved the opportunity and the training, but it was just run like a bully camp, and there are way too many slugs and insecure losers in higher positions that really shouldn't be. I made friends for life, but at the end of it I was screwed out of so many things and treated poorly that it was not a welcoming or enjoyable experience by the end.
Pros
Learn great skills
Cons
way too many weirdos and insecure losers.
Traffic Tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJuly 28, 2016
I have been a member of the Forces for the last 36 years. I have excellent bosses and one that should have not even have been allowed to have a mouse under their supervision. Buts as a organization it is one of high standards and I have been honoured to have served it and this Country of ours.
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
Truly work with family
Information Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 14, 2016
It doesn't take long working in the military before you feel like you are working with family. 3 time a week you have the option of partaking in PT along with your other work mates allowing for bonding opportunities.
OHS Assistant
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to be introduced to an work environment of military and civilian personnel
Variety of opportunities to:
Assisted in investigation and provided recommendations to avoid future incidents
Participated in Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings to address health issues and return to work procedures
Drafted a proposal and implemented the procedure for dealing with disposal of batteries
Created standard operating procedures for Safety Management Systems
Conducted routine inspections of work sites to ensure all health and safety protocols were being maintained and followed up with any areas of concern
challenging, exciting, advancement opportunity.
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ONAugust 17, 2016
Work at the military was a life changing experience, something I wouldn't change for the world. And the friends I have made will always have my back when I need it.
Pros
extremely secure job.
Cons
stationed away from family.
Amazing experience
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
This job varied from day to day, yet could still be repetitive enough to predictable. Any given day you could be tasked to go somewhere, do something that could take you away from home for a night to months. I learned and was expected to be flexible, adaptive and work with little information to having all the information and yet still be flexible to adjust for those blind sided changes. Always had a support system through co-workers, some people did not adjust well to military way of life and it showed. Others and the majority embraced the life style. Bonds of friendships were made and will never be forgotten. Difficult times were spending months away in harsh conditions, yet still brought moments to cherish.
Pros
Training. Friendships. Aventure
Cons
Too long away from home.
Good work environment,opportunity to advance
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2016
Eight hour day less 1/2 for lunch. Overall stress free comfortable work environment, though there is not much challenge in the day to day repetitiveness.
Pros
Stability and Job security
Cons
Micro management
Great job for adventure and development
Air Defence Artillleryman (Former Employee) –  CFB GagetownAugust 1, 2016
I look back very fondly on my military career. Lots of travel adventure, exposure to new things, and personal growth opportunity.
Pros
high wages, benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, work/life balance can be poor
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Not what you expect
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
If you love army stuff, its bittersweet.
A lot of the time you're sitting around. Hurry up and wait is the old saying and it's spot on.
When you're training the leadership always finds a way to make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Decent salary, quick promotions
Cons
Long hours, away from home a lot.
Great job serving our country
Aviation Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONMay 25, 2016
I love my job. I enjoy serving the country while working as an aircraft mechanic. It is a fulfilling position that allows me daily opportunities to test my knowledge and skill level while working with a very dynamic group of individuals.
Amazing workplace but not for all
Non Commissioned Member (Pte) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 13, 2016
Unlike many other jobs for students this one requires a huge personal commitment and set of mind that is not present in other jobs. I loved my time their but found that I was not suited for the military life style that is found in the reserves.
Pros
Great bonds
Cons
Great deal of change required
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.
Unique Experience
Regular Force Air Force Avionics System Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJune 9, 2016
You will not experience anything quite like the Canadian Military. I was an Avionics Systems Technician and an Infantryman. Both were completely opposite careers. Both were fantastic opportunities.
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Pros
oppertunity
Cons
must live where they tell you
Amazing Place
Communicator Research Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 5, 2016
As already mentioned, I enjoy working in the Canadian Armed Forces because I am constantly learning and progressing my career everyday.
Pros
benefits, learning, and great co-workers
Cons
Enjoyed sailing and being on the water
Sonar Operator I (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 17, 2016
There is no job like it. you get to travel the world and experience unique and fun challenges in an ever changing environment . The leadership I have gained through my experiences has been life changing
A workplace where you can appply your skills and knowlege to making a real difference.
Instructor and e-Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 29, 2016
Excellent job, great co-workers and skills that are transportable to my civilian occupation. Allows me to use my education and civilian background as a Reservist in the CAF.
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
long hours and movement on a moments notice

4.3