Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
Pros: medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons: sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Takes the right type of person
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
Yours to Discover. Good Security. You're a number, so get in line mentality. Proud to Serve. Good atmosphere. Professional. Maturing
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: oppertunity
Cons: must live where they tell you
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Great work environment
Firefighter (Current Employee), Trenton, ONFebruary 18, 2016
My career so far as a CF Firefighter has been fun and rewarding. I would suggest to anyone looking for an exciting career to apply.
Enjoyable carrer with the forces.
United Nations Peace Keeping Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Aquired excellent skills from disciline to working as a part of a team.

Hardest part of the job would have been having to move at a moments notice.
Adventure of a life time for a single person
SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), CFB EsquimaltFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: Great pay and oppertunity to see the world
Cons: Zero sence of community as you are required to move at a moments notice
This is a great way to create a story to tell later on in life, but should be only for single persons. CFB Edmonton is a great place to work, but the Navy is hard on the personal life.
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: Good Salary
Cons: Could be moved away
Hours are usually 8-4 most days
I've learned a lot through my experiences
Team work is good
Hardest part of job is potentially being away from family
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee), St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Training and experience
Cons: long hours, very little sleep
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
terrible
Marine Engineer (Former Employee), Esquimalt, BCFebruary 5, 2016
worst decision in my life ever , doctor left me disabled for life, forced to sail to Hawaii and mexico with a broken wrist. very disappointed with Canada and sad to call myself a proud canadian
stable and pays well
Naval Weapons Engineering Technician (Current Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 29, 2016
a normal day is showing up dressed professionally and clean. Then doing technical work until 2:15 then you clean for an hour and go home.

you will be expected to stay late and possibly work through the weekend to complete work to make the ship operational.
Heres what I learned
Army Communication Information System Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Heres what learned
Advance resolution skills to unforeseen problems
Maintain control of high stress situations and environments
Excel in motivating and communicating with team members
Perform task beyond physical limits until objectives are accomplished
Meaningful Work
Training Officer and Instructor (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent for those wishing to engage with youth aged 12-19 in a variety of academic and field settings in a military environment.
Great place
Marine Engineer (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: See great places
Cons: Miss family events
Was one of the best places to work except when you had to go on extended trips away from the family.

They have great benefit and do a lot of stuff with or for the family.
Served in the military
field engineer (Former Employee), Canada, Germany and YugoslaviaJanuary 25, 2016
I served in the military for 23 years of my life. I served my country as my father, grandfather, and my brother. I was willing to put my life on the line at any moment. I served oversea and spent 6 months in Yugo on U.N. Duty. My job the on U.N. Duty was to clear mines and booby trap devices. I would serve again if I could. Life was not easy at all times while I serve and did my best to do the job I did. The longest day that I worked was bridge building were we worked for 36 hr before we were aloud to sleep ( it was a great time ).
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee), Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Pay, benefits and leave
Cons: Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Proudly serving Canadian Armed Forces
Governor General Foot Guards/Ceremonial Guard (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Being part of a proud and diverse history
Cons: Managing time within civilian life
- Strong team ethic
- Clear and structured environment
- Lots of room for advancement
- Wide spectrum of training and skill building
- Pride of work
High pace enviroment. Much to learn in very little time.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
From day one when you start boot camp you're on the ground running. A barrage of information is thrown at you at all times and you're expected to remember it and memorize it in an instant. Its very hard at first but after a few weeks you find it start to become easier and easier.

The classroom is just as intense as the physical side of the military. You'll be in a classroom learning and taking notes just as much as you'll be sleeping in a hole or crawling through mud.

Since the Canadian Forces is a volunteer force everyone there wants to be there. You'll make life long friends as you suffer together through the first grueling year of basic training courses.

There are many branches of the military and within those branches there are dozens of jobs which are crucial to its function. From a front line fighting infantrymen to the pencil pushing clerks. Everyone has a purpose and a reason within the big green machine. No one has a pointless job and everyone is crucial to the bigger picture in one way or another.
Military Service is exemplary
AVN Technician (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: Serving your country
Cons: May relocate often
Everyone should spend time in the military. The best skills and disciplines I have learned in my life so far. I worked as an CF-18 Fighter jet technician and Skyhawks parachute demonstrator for 6 years.
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Hard work and personal development.
Cons: Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
6 year contract
Weapons Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 6, 2016
days varied with the routine at the time and the position you were posted to. not many days were spent doing the job in my title but some times that was good and others it wasn't