Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

infantry
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBMarch 28, 2016
my time in the army was great i enjoyed all the experiences and the traveling and all the cool things you get to do but its a goood mix of suck and fun. in the end i enjoyed my time there
Pros
free food
Cons
Driven environment balanced with great sense of comradery
Logistics - Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 2, 2016
To keep it short and simple, there are many different trades and job opportunities with the RCN.

There is no typical day as there are many different organized events or duties that need to be performed.
You many go from sailing the Vancouver Islands 1 week to being on a shooting range practicing your marksmanship the following week.

Military is an environment where everyone gets along quite well and help one another in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting people from all around Canada
Cons
Lack of funding from government, less chance for advancement
great job
infantry (Former Employee) –  edmonton ,abOctober 1, 2015
Great job, get to travel a lot, and made great friends along the way. benefits are among the best in Canada, and the work days are always different
Very physically demanding, and meet a lot of new people of different backgrounds
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 15, 2015
After basic training I lived on a PAT platoon which is where you are put until your course trade starts. A normal day would be waking up at 6 am to start morning pt at 6:30 and then breakfast at 8:00 to sit in a classroom all day doing absolutely nothing, unless you had a tasking given to you. Lunch at 12:00 till 1:00 and back to the classroom. Then afternoon pt at 3:00 till 4:00 and the rest of the day was mine to do as pleased. When you are on a training course though, it is fun and a great experience. You meet a lot of unique people and learn to work with people even if you do not like them. Teamwork is everything. I learned how to transition into military life which is a culture shock, qualified as a soldier, and got to see different parts of Canada.
Pros
Cooked meals, awesome benefits, free gym, discounts at certain stores
Cons
long waiting periods to start training courses
Very good place to work with a lot of security and pride
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 21, 2015
As a member of the Canadian Forces my day varied all the time. Most mornings started with PT (Physical Training) but many days included other training, both domestic and also in preparation for upcoming deployments. I could be working in one of many warehouses one day and be out on the ranges throwing grenades and firing weapons the next. What I learned is that every job I've ever experienced is most successful when you can 100% rely on the people around you that you work with. Management was critical. Most "managers" were very good at their jobs and learned to "lead by example". Most of my co-workers were incredible to work with and I trusted them completely with my safety in some very unsafe environments and situations. The hardest part of my job was the regular long periods away from my family and feeling like I was missing out on my kids lives. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of pride. Feeling like I was a part of something bigger than myself, and the ability to "do my part" on the world stage to represent my country.
Pros
Pride, job security, pension, very good benefits, seeing many parts of the world
Cons
extended periods away from family
Excellent work environment
Lieutenant, Fire Chief, Edmonton Garrison (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 6, 2016
An amazing career with no regrets. Many different opportunities and great travel opportunities.
Educational opportunities and career advancement are abundant.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Deployments
Productive Job, Great people, FAMILY
Casualty Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 19, 2016
I enrolled in the Canadian Forces (CF) back in 1989 and have loved every minute of it. I got to meet great people, travel, play sports and have a career.

Over my time in the CF, I have learned to appreciate the things that we as Canadians take for granted: running water, electricity, transportation, communication devices. As being part of an Observation Force Team, I have gone to countries that are war torn, and do not have the luxuries and programs that we as Canadians have.
Pros
Great people, rewarding job
Discipline is everything.
Reservist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 5, 2016
The ability to follow commands and work hard is the most important thing being a reservist. The high stress environment builds your ability to handle such situations as well as prepares you for drastic events. I learned to always obey and submit to your higher authority as well as do your very best at your job. Working as a team is much more important and reliable than trying to do everything on your own. The hardest part of this job I would have to say was the sleep deprevation.
Excelent place of employment
Watch Officer - Joint Operations Centre (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
I have learned a lot over my 30+year career, I would recommend the military to anyone. I have no regrets and I want to take my skills learned and pass it on to the local Workforce here in Edmonton.
Pros
Great healthcare plan and pension
Cons
shift work, lots of travelling
High pace enviroment. Much to learn in very little time.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
From day one when you start boot camp you're on the ground running. A barrage of information is thrown at you at all times and you're expected to remember it and memorize it in an instant. Its very hard at first but after a few weeks you find it start to become easier and easier.

The classroom is just as intense as the physical side of the military. You'll be in a classroom learning and taking notes just as much as you'll be sleeping in a hole or crawling through mud.

Since the Canadian Forces is a volunteer force everyone there wants to be there. You'll make life long friends as you suffer together through the first grueling year of basic training courses.

There are many branches of the military and within those branches there are dozens of jobs which are crucial to its function. From a front line fighting infantrymen to the pencil pushing clerks. Everyone has a purpose and a reason within the big green machine. No one has a pointless job and everyone is crucial to the bigger picture in one way or another.
the canadian armed forces as a whole
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJuly 11, 2015
its a good career with many options of field enhancement option courses and such. always able to advance in ranks, ranks come with pay raises
good place to work
Military (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ontarioJuly 17, 2015
good place to work good benefits and good vacation. opportunities for advancement and many of the positives out weight the negatives
Excellent organization to build a career from
Imagery Technician and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada and World wideNovember 4, 2015
I spent 37 years 7 months and 28 days in the Canadian Armed Forces and I would do it all over again if I could. I spent the first 9 years in the Army as a Field Engineer where I was involved in construction roads and bridges, destruction using demolitions, operating armoured vehicles and Combat diving. In 1987 I transferred to the Air force as an Imagery Technician where I provided imagery support and advice to senior commanders. I was involved in operations in the air, on land, on the water and underwater.
Pros
Job security
Served in the military
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, Germany and YugoslaviaJanuary 25, 2016
I served in the military for 23 years of my life. I served my country as my father, grandfather, and my brother. I was willing to put my life on the line at any moment. I served oversea and spent 6 months in Yugo on U.N. Duty. My job the on U.N. Duty was to clear mines and booby trap devices. I would serve again if I could. Life was not easy at all times while I serve and did my best to do the job I did. The longest day that I worked was bridge building were we worked for 36 hr before we were aloud to sleep ( it was a great time ).
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
Pros
Hard work and personal development.
Cons
Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
Focused on discipline, skill, fitness, and ability to work as a team.
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
The Canadian Armed forces presents many opportunities, though some challenging, that not only teach me skills as a soldier- but also instill discipline and teamwork skills as well as occasional leadership positions.
Pros
Physical and mental fitness, discipline, leadership opportunity.
Cons
Long hours.
Excellent job, great benefits
Chief Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Typical day at work includes approving pay, supervising 4 other clerks, doing reports for headquarters, keeping Commanding Officer informed of all activities and ensuring that all deadlines are met. I have learned just about everything I know administratively from this job and also have held a leadership role in my day to day activities. I have always had a great working relationship with my coworkers whether they were my subordinates, peers or supervisors. The hardest part of my job was moving from one position to another position within the Canadian Forces which sometimes included moving to a different city. My most enjoyable part of my job with the Canadian Forces was learning different jobs and meeting new people.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
travelling involved, working some weekends and week nights
Proudly serving Canadian Armed Forces
Governor General Foot Guards/Ceremonial Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
- Strong team ethic
- Clear and structured environment
- Lots of room for advancement
- Wide spectrum of training and skill building
- Pride of work
Pros
Being part of a proud and diverse history
Cons
Managing time within civilian life
Amazing workplace but not for all
Non Commissioned Member (Pte) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 13, 2016
Unlike many other jobs for students this one requires a huge personal commitment and set of mind that is not present in other jobs. I loved my time their but found that I was not suited for the military life style that is found in the reserves.
Pros
Great bonds
Cons
Great deal of change required
a great place to work
Naval Combat Information Operator (Former Employee) –  Victoria BCJune 29, 2015
a great place to work. lots of travel and foreign ports visit when ship is at sea. Watches are extremely hard on the body, sleep is not a huge priority.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
lots of down time

4.3