Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Rewarding times
Senior Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Esquimalt, bcJuly 9, 2014
Pros: see the world
Cons: extendended time away from home, 6-8 months at a time
I enjoyed the time that I spent in the Royal Canadian Navy for the last 23 years. It did have challenging times as well as times of great happiness. I retired on my on terms when I felt it was right for myself.
good place to work good surroundings and great people
Cpl (Corporal) (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great training traveling
Cons: away from home at long periods
Being in the Canadian armed forces infantry was amazing. It was like being apart of a brotherhood with tuff love. the hardest part of the job were the "gut checks" witch means to do something so hard it made you want to quit... but when you didn't quit it was an achievement. the most enjoyable part of the job to me was get dirty and those hard days – more... because it reminded me that I was actually earning my pay. The typical day at work was, in the morning we would start off with PT (physical training) and then after such we would do maintenance on all the gear or we would head out to the field to do some drills and shooting at the range. – less
Excellent
Administrator / Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee), CFB BordenJuly 7, 2014
Not just a job, it's a life style. Depending on your specific job, you can move all over the world andwork in places no one else will be able to.
Excellent salary and benefits, very secure job and guaranteed advancement
Weapons Engineering Technician (NAVY) (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 3, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: long periods from home, frustrating politics.
The Canadian Forces is great for the right person. While salary and benefits were excellent and guaranteed there was a level of mismanagement at the governmental level that made me personally decide to leave. You can also expect long periods away from home which is a positive and negative at the same time.
Rigorous and tireless work
Rifleman/Reservist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
Pros: free meals
A typical day of training consists of numerous practical and tactical training. I would gain an extensive amount of teamwork and communication skills in a high-paced environment. I would learn about leadership skills as well executing direct order form my superiors. Keeping a relentless attitude towards completing an objective, I continued to maintain – more... attention to detail and enhanced my combat skills. – less
Exciting and fulfilling career
Senior Leadership Instructor and manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 1, 2014
A rewarding career with vast opportunities to expand your career and skills.
Positive learning environment
Supply Technician (Former Employee), OntarioJune 15, 2014
The Canadian Forces provides training and work experiences to learn your trade, be an valued team member and become an effective leader.
Best job out there, if you can do it
Second Lieutenant, Infantry (Former Employee), Gagetown, NBJune 14, 2014
Pros: respect, satisfaction, personal and professional growth
Cons: injury, stress, tear gas
The military is the most challenging and rewarding job on the planet. Being able to make a real difference for society is awesome.
Loved the Army
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 12, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: pay
Overall a very rewarding job but you wont get rich doing it. You work hard and you play hard. Meet a lot of great people from all over the place
Fast Passed
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Sydney, NSJune 12, 2014
Was a great first job working part time as a truck driver in the Primary Reserves but now am seeking full time employment as a Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprentice.
Excellent opportunities for travel and career advancement
Unit Sergeant Major (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 9, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, travel and courses.
Cons: available 24 hours a day and gone at times for months
As an Administrator in a Senior Management position, my typical day deals with liaising with various people, promoting team building, reviewing and writing policies and procedures, budgets and man management from a HR perspective.
What I expected.
Infantry Private (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 31, 2014
It was the military i got what I was expecting. Marching. cleaning of gear and weapons. Fitness regiments.
Great calling with excellent pride traditions and sense of family
Senior Officer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2014
A sense of family like no other. Comprised of like-minded people with a similar calling of service before self.

Long hours but satisfying accomplishments and success.
You wont get rich but you are treated well.
A typical day
Officer Cadet (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 30, 2014
Pros: discipline
Cons: hard work
During a normal day, officer cadets return from their various classes and begin working on inspection standards. It entails activities such as ironing dress shirts, polishing your oxfords, making everywhere dust free, and many more. We learn discipline during everyday activity, and we learn to manage our time to the fullest in order to be most effective.
The – more... hardest aspect of being an officer cadet is to make sure what we do is always in accordance with the rules and regulations. What we do, however, is rewarded with satisfaction, since the feeling of accomplishment is more worth than the effort put into it. – less
Security Advisor
Military Police (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: great job security and great people to work for.
Cons: longue hours working when working on shift and also working in embassies
My day is all in regards about security and from any incident that could compromise the security of the Country or the CAF.

I have learned very fast and everything was new from being a police officer previously and supervisor of a shift on military base working with military personnel and civilian personnel.

I have learned from previous courses and – more... the experience learned by from my supervisor was a great help when working accordingly assisting people and any one who might need assistance to do it the right way.

The best part of my jobs working in the CAF was working with great co-worker who care and taken care of the people working under my supervision was my best reward after the end of the day. I had people coming who work with me and years after were still thanksfull for the teaching and the way I let them express their ideas, this was also my favorite part of my job. – less
The Army
Signal Operator. (Corporal) (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBMay 28, 2014
Pros: lots of fun
Cons: no summers
i loved the Army reserve. It was part time, and the people there was awesome. I could still maintain a decent living off of working part time because they paid so well, not to mention that you could go on extended taskings and make really good money.

I did a lot of fun and awesome things there, and also some challenging ones as well. Definitely recommend – more... it to anyone. – less
It's the military
Rank of Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee), toronto ontarioMay 24, 2014
Wonderful Place to work
Nice people to work with
Full of interesting things to do
Productive and challenging work at canadian forces
Trooper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
The typical day at work would be the troopers gathering together and we trained for hours until it was break time and a few hours of classes.
I learned the training movements, I learned the meaning of the badges on thier shoulders. I trained at the 6month camps.
My co-workers are fun, very social, very serious and alwyas there to help and answer questions.
The – more... hardest part of the job is the long hours of standing, moving, and the physical activity.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outings, and going to the 6month training camps. – less
Gym access, Various Sports leagues provided
Weapons Engineering Technician Apprentice (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 14, 2014
Pros: free food and lodging on ship
Cons: can be repetitive if you your not driven to excel in your career.
Repair and Maintain Electronic equipment and various ship duties like cleaning storing food or materials, standing duty watches. You learn troubleshooting skills and how to prioritize goals to meet deadlines. Seamanship duties. Take charge of your career.

Management is good, and help when possible.
Family oriented workplace. Close knit crew.
Hardest – more... part is being away from loved ones when your sailing.
Most enjoyable is your doing your country a service and you meet and work with good people from different backgrounds – less
Good cameraderie
Captain, Logistics, Operations and Training (Former Employee), Trenton, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: moving
Definitely not for everyone but many people thrive there. Good training, good salary once your done training. Lots of moving though. Great benefits and pension plan.

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more

Canadian Forces Photos