Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

Exceptional learning environment
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSSeptember 21, 2016
The Canadian Armed Forces taught me the basic training and survival skills to survive in a combat environment, as well as the basic life skills and discipline needed to function in everyday life.
Pros
Builds character
Cons
Unpredictable working hours
Not Much to do.
MCpl Lindenberg, 2 IC Det Dundurn IT (Former Employee) –  Dundurn, SKSeptember 17, 2016
If it wasn't literally on fire it was crazy freezing cold. A typical day, get up, run, run then run more. Very challenging for so many reasons.
Pros
Free Firearms Training
Cons
Long Hours
Great learning environment and lots of hands on jobs and tasks.
Artillery Soldier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 15, 2016
This is a great work place for me because, its all hands on learning and the training is usually fun and taught in a way everybody will understand. I love this job but it does not always allow me to work with some medical limitations
Pros
Everything is mostly paid for, and i can choose my work days.
Cons
Pay, long hours
Military life
Private (Former Employee) –  Windsor, NSSeptember 12, 2016
It is what you expect. Hard work and pain that you learn to live and love.
A great career path for any of those who wish to stand and protect their country.
Productive, rewarding work place
Section Commander (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONSeptember 11, 2016
A Challenging productive workplace. See the world as well as gain an experience. learn to overcome new challenges and be a productive member of a team.
Excellent Opportunity for Students
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Westmount, QCSeptember 9, 2016
A great job opportunity in order to build life-essential skills. The Canadian Armed Forces demonstrates the utmost precision when it comes to flexibility and learning. A typical reservist's day comprises of lecturing as well as application of knowledge to further one's skillsets. Recommend serving at least once. Trust me, it'll change your life for the better!
Pros
flexible hours, great pay, proud environment
Cons
...
Challenging work environment that requires solid team building
Logistician - Sergeant CDI (Retired) (Former Employee) –  CanadaSeptember 8, 2016
This is not a typical work environment that is easily explained. It best can be described as a unique way of life the promotes and requires a solid team functionality from top leadership to the lowest level. Probably the most rewarding career that builds character and develops people into great leaders and peers/co-workers in a team environment.
Pros
Meet people from all over Canada and the world, unique work environments and great comradery
Cons
Longs hours, extended time away from family
Amazing Place
Communicator Research Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 5, 2016
As already mentioned, I enjoy working in the Canadian Armed Forces because I am constantly learning and progressing my career everyday.
Pros
benefits, learning, and great co-workers
Hard work but rewarding
Artillery Officer Cadet (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2016
Some aspects of the Canadian Armed Forces are quite difficult, but at the end of all the hardship it is so rewarding. To see your own growth both physically and mentally.
Positive and Challenging Work Environment
Administrative Assistant, Musician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
My unit is the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, situated in Moss Park Armoury in Toronto. My unit offers a positive and stimulating atmosphere and the management offers its members with a wide array of auxiliary positions.

My usual day as a military musician begins with rehearsing with the band and always listening intently to leadership. I also do administrative duties, which involve writing contracts and paying our civilian members. I also provide aid for members who require assistance in their own administrative issues, as well as informing them of reimbursement opportunities. My co-workers are friendly, optimistic, and social. We have formed a close bond throughout the years.

The most difficult part of the job is handling new situations and new locations. Our concerts/parades are often in different parts of the city and we always have to adapt to any challenges that arise from being in an unfamiliar environment. Occasionally, we have soldier qualifications to complete or renew, which often teaches me to adapt to both physically and mentally challenging situations. In these instances, I focus on maintaining a strong bond with my colleagues and we thrive to work through issues together.
Pros
Strong sense of comradery
Cons
Unpredictable Work Schedule
Millitary, it was a blast while it lasted
Image Technician (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 21, 2016
I had a great time weather it be deployed to the gulf or on the inside passage doing a sovepat. I was just sad to get injured and released I wanted to stay.
challenging, exciting, advancement opportunity.
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ONAugust 17, 2016
Work at the military was a life changing experience, something I wouldn't change for the world. And the friends I have made will always have my back when I need it.
Pros
extremely secure job.
Cons
stationed away from family.
Truly work with family
Information Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 14, 2016
It doesn't take long working in the military before you feel like you are working with family. 3 time a week you have the option of partaking in PT along with your other work mates allowing for bonding opportunities.
Occupational Health and Safety
Standards Doc Manager, Preventive Medicine Program (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 10, 2016
Provide comprehensive administrative leadership and direction to instructional staff and students
Review all references
Update the training plan for the course
Translate documents French to English or vice versa
Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials
Pros
job security, teamwork
Cons
long hours, different projects at once
Great
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 8, 2016
I was a member of the Royal Canadian Navy in Victoria, BC. And though my career was ended by an injury, I have la great love and respect for the Navy, Sail on, Heart of Oak
Pros
Self Esteem and Discipline
Cons
Great comrodary with co-workers, excellent training and travel
MilitaryPolice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time in the Military with deployments, training, travel and great co-workers. The only reason why I am leaving is due to Medical Release because I broke my ankle and had to get it partially fused. I have full range of motion and use of my ankle but at high risk of re-injury if I do high impact physical activity such as running.
Pros
job security, benefits, and job advancement
Cons
need to be physically fit to advance or stay in the service
Enjoyable
RCEME Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 5, 2016
Not the experience I was looking for. Alot of waiting around for your trades course. The system is slow due to being mostly understaffed.
Best thing that ever happen to me
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 3, 2016
I completed 28 years reg force and 3 years with the res this gave me a great pension but it does not cover kids in university
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
Hard on faimly
Great job for adventure and development
Air Defence Artillleryman (Former Employee) –  CFB GagetownAugust 1, 2016
I look back very fondly on my military career. Lots of travel adventure, exposure to new things, and personal growth opportunity.
Pros
high wages, benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, work/life balance can be poor
A great career with lots of opportunity for self-improvement and leadership development
Chief Clerk Administration (Former Employee) –  CanadaJuly 31, 2016
A career in the military from age 19 to 42 was one of the best times in my life. I found it to be very challenging and rewarding as I progressed through the many stages of advancement in each rank. As an operational administrator I was required to deal with personalities form all walks of life, e.g the foot soldier, airman/airwoman, sailor, politicians, media, local professionals, and royalty. Even though there were at times that we worked many long hours, in stressful environments during crisis situations, we had the opportunity to have great social interactions with each other and many extended holidays. The hours were fixed. The pay was fixed. The opportunities to travel and to learn were many. Each year I could and did take at least one training course to help develop my skills. Self-discipline was instilled and professionalism developed. For the most part we worked as a team, military family with leaders and managers who understood our issues and needs.
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
Low wages, lack of support from citizens of Canada

4.3