Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
R.C.N
NCI-OP (Former Employee), Halifax,N.SJuly 15, 2014
Pros: great job security, great benefits and job perks/vacation time. pay scale, room for promotion.
Cons: stressful, organizational difficiencies, not enough adequate/responsible supervision
Work from 7:30 until 15:45 daily monday to friday. Duty watches 1-15(one every fifteen days weekends included). Duty watches consist of one 12 hour watch with a 15 min break for lunch and supper. Or two 6 hour watches with one 10 min break. I've learned security maintaining skills, firefighting as well. Hardest part of the job for me was being away – more... from family, various stressors incuding: co-workers gossip, personality clashes/conflict. Inconsistent organization from management and co-workers was constant due to posting in and out of personnel. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experiences, sailing around to different parts of the world. Foreign ports were a lot of fun. Hanging out/ working alongside the many friends I had made along the way. Time off was also a bonus. – less
Excellent Career Experience
Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2014
Serving over 10 years within the Canadian Armed Forces I have been given opportunities and experiences that most people could only dream about. I have sailed the world. I have had the chance to learn many skills on a frequent basis, and best of all, I was able to utilize each skill that I have been trained in.
Rewarding times
Senior Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Esquimalt, bcJuly 9, 2014
Pros: see the world
Cons: extendended time away from home, 6-8 months at a time
I enjoyed the time that I spent in the Royal Canadian Navy for the last 23 years. It did have challenging times as well as times of great happiness. I retired on my on terms when I felt it was right for myself.
good place to work good surroundings and great people
Cpl (Corporal) (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great training traveling
Cons: away from home at long periods
Being in the Canadian armed forces infantry was amazing. It was like being apart of a brotherhood with tuff love. the hardest part of the job were the "gut checks" witch means to do something so hard it made you want to quit... but when you didn't quit it was an achievement. the most enjoyable part of the job to me was get dirty and those hard days – more... because it reminded me that I was actually earning my pay. The typical day at work was, in the morning we would start off with PT (physical training) and then after such we would do maintenance on all the gear or we would head out to the field to do some drills and shooting at the range. – less
Excellent
Administrator / Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee), CFB BordenJuly 7, 2014
Not just a job, it's a life style. Depending on your specific job, you can move all over the world andwork in places no one else will be able to.
Excellent salary and benefits, very secure job and guaranteed advancement
Weapons Engineering Technician (NAVY) (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 3, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: long periods from home, frustrating politics.
The Canadian Forces is great for the right person. While salary and benefits were excellent and guaranteed there was a level of mismanagement at the governmental level that made me personally decide to leave. You can also expect long periods away from home which is a positive and negative at the same time.
Medical Technician
Reg Force Medicial Technician (Current Employee), Canadian Armed ForcesJuly 1, 2014
Pros: good friends and camaraderie in some units, free medical, dental, physiotherapy, eye care, mental health.
Cons: away from home a lot, away no notice at any time and possibly for extended periods, family/marriage strain, career progression is slow.
As a Medical Technician:
- serve the Army, Airforce and Navy, in various countries,environments and tasks, when and where required.
- disaster/emergency response/mass casualty training, on ship/land
- training and education of ship’s emergency medical responders
- triage and treatment of patients in hectic ship and clinical settings
- providing patient – more... care and advice, to post-hospital treatment/surgical
patients, including directed rehab.
- providing community health direction to ship’s crews and preventive
medicine advice as required, for risk /environmental issues, including
crew habitation cleanliness and sanitization inspection /rounds of the
ship (galley, mess, sleeping quarters, wash rooms, food storage etc.).
- maintaining high levels of fitness, with emphasis on strength and endurance, as you may be required to quickly move/carry heavy patients or supply loads over significant distances, over difficult terrain and/or unsafe areas of operation (war / disaster zones)
- mental/wellness checks, of self and crew/team members, especially during long operations, long duty periods without sleep or adequate food/rest
- maintaining and advancing medical training/knowledge through self study and Unit courses

Management is responsible for the overall Unit or operation and has little time deal with your personal or petty issues. There is a clear "chain of command" and you learn to respect it. You learn when/whom to ask for assistance/guidance and the most appropriate way to ask for it. They expect you to be a responsible adult. For example, you would not ask the Unit Commanding Officer where to get a pair of shoe laces!
People look to you for guidance in many health matters, some not easy things to personally deal with. You must get your personal issues/feelings sorted and be able to put them aside. You are there for the patient, as a medical professional.

The hardest part of the job is the potential for burn out. If you are away a lot or tasked out often, long hours, in a different place every other day/week, dealing with difficult people/co-workers/patients or health issues, not seeing positive outcomes with sick or injured, you can become tired, and jaded quickly. You have to learn to harden yourself mentally and physically, or little things can get to you. Being away from family especially needy family members (ie. young children, ill spouse) can weigh heavily on your mind. Learning when to sit and "dump emotional baggage", with either team members or mental health is a must.

Enjoyable parts of the job would be team camaraderie, lifelong friends and seeing patients fully recover, even after serious injury. – less
Exciting and fulfilling career
Senior Leadership Instructor and manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 1, 2014
A rewarding career with vast opportunities to expand your career and skills.
Positive learning environment
Supply Technician (Former Employee), OntarioJune 15, 2014
The Canadian Forces provides training and work experiences to learn your trade, be an valued team member and become an effective leader.
Best job out there, if you can do it
Second Lieutenant, Infantry (Former Employee), Gagetown, NBJune 14, 2014
Pros: respect, satisfaction, personal and professional growth
Cons: injury, stress, tear gas
The military is the most challenging and rewarding job on the planet. Being able to make a real difference for society is awesome.
Loved the Army
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 12, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: pay
Overall a very rewarding job but you wont get rich doing it. You work hard and you play hard. Meet a lot of great people from all over the place
Fast Passed
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Sydney, NSJune 12, 2014
Was a great first job working part time as a truck driver in the Primary Reserves but now am seeking full time employment as a Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprentice.
Excellent opportunities for travel and career advancement
Unit Sergeant Major (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 9, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, travel and courses.
Cons: available 24 hours a day and gone at times for months
As an Administrator in a Senior Management position, my typical day deals with liaising with various people, promoting team building, reviewing and writing policies and procedures, budgets and man management from a HR perspective.
A typical day
Officer Cadet (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 30, 2014
Pros: discipline
Cons: hard work
During a normal day, officer cadets return from their various classes and begin working on inspection standards. It entails activities such as ironing dress shirts, polishing your oxfords, making everywhere dust free, and many more. We learn discipline during everyday activity, and we learn to manage our time to the fullest in order to be most effective.
The – more... hardest aspect of being an officer cadet is to make sure what we do is always in accordance with the rules and regulations. What we do, however, is rewarded with satisfaction, since the feeling of accomplishment is more worth than the effort put into it. – less
Security Advisor
Military Police (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: great job security and great people to work for.
Cons: longue hours working when working on shift and also working in embassies
My day is all in regards about security and from any incident that could compromise the security of the Country or the CAF.

I have learned very fast and everything was new from being a police officer previously and supervisor of a shift on military base working with military personnel and civilian personnel.

I have learned from previous courses and – more... the experience learned by from my supervisor was a great help when working accordingly assisting people and any one who might need assistance to do it the right way.

The best part of my jobs working in the CAF was working with great co-worker who care and taken care of the people working under my supervision was my best reward after the end of the day. I had people coming who work with me and years after were still thanksfull for the teaching and the way I let them express their ideas, this was also my favorite part of my job. – less
The Army
Signal Operator. (Corporal) (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBMay 28, 2014
Pros: lots of fun
Cons: no summers
i loved the Army reserve. It was part time, and the people there was awesome. I could still maintain a decent living off of working part time because they paid so well, not to mention that you could go on extended taskings and make really good money.

I did a lot of fun and awesome things there, and also some challenging ones as well. Definitely recommend – more... it to anyone. – less
It's the military
Rank of Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee), toronto ontarioMay 24, 2014
Wonderful Place to work
Nice people to work with
Full of interesting things to do
Productive and challenging work at canadian forces
Trooper (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
The typical day at work would be the troopers gathering together and we trained for hours until it was break time and a few hours of classes.
I learned the training movements, I learned the meaning of the badges on thier shoulders. I trained at the 6month camps.
My co-workers are fun, very social, very serious and alwyas there to help and answer questions.
The – more... hardest part of the job is the long hours of standing, moving, and the physical activity.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outings, and going to the 6month training camps. – less
Gym access, Various Sports leagues provided
Weapons Engineering Technician Apprentice (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 14, 2014
Pros: free food and lodging on ship
Cons: can be repetitive if you your not driven to excel in your career.
Repair and Maintain Electronic equipment and various ship duties like cleaning storing food or materials, standing duty watches. You learn troubleshooting skills and how to prioritize goals to meet deadlines. Seamanship duties. Take charge of your career.

Management is good, and help when possible.
Family oriented workplace. Close knit crew.
Hardest – more... part is being away from loved ones when your sailing.
Most enjoyable is your doing your country a service and you meet and work with good people from different backgrounds – less
Good cameraderie
Captain, Logistics, Operations and Training (Former Employee), Trenton, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: moving
Definitely not for everyone but many people thrive there. Good training, good salary once your done training. Lots of moving though. Great benefits and pension plan.

1 2 3 4 5

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more

Canadian Forces Photos