Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive and Challenging Work Environment
Administrative Assistant, Musician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
My unit is the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, situated in Moss Park Armoury in Toronto. My unit offers a positive and stimulating atmosphere and the management offers its members with a wide array of auxiliary positions.

My usual day as a military musician begins with rehearsing with the band and always listening intently to leadership. I also do administrative duties, which involve writing contracts and paying our civilian members. I also provide aid for members who require assistance in their own administrative issues, as well as informing them of reimbursement opportunities. My co-workers are friendly, optimistic, and social. We have formed a close bond throughout the years.

The most difficult part of the job is handling new situations and new locations. Our concerts/parades are often in different parts of the city and we always have to adapt to any challenges that arise from being in an unfamiliar environment. Occasionally, we have soldier qualifications to complete or renew, which often teaches me to adapt to both physically and mentally challenging situations. In these instances, I focus on maintaining a strong bond with my colleagues and we thrive to work through issues together.
Pros
Strong sense of comradery
Cons
Unpredictable Work Schedule
Millitary, it was a blast while it lasted
Image Technician (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 21, 2016
I had a great time weather it be deployed to the gulf or on the inside passage doing a sovepat. I was just sad to get injured and released I wanted to stay.
challenging, exciting, advancement opportunity.
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Meaford, ONAugust 17, 2016
Work at the military was a life changing experience, something I wouldn't change for the world. And the friends I have made will always have my back when I need it.
Pros
extremely secure job.
Cons
stationed away from family.
Truly work with family
Information Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 14, 2016
It doesn't take long working in the military before you feel like you are working with family. 3 time a week you have the option of partaking in PT along with your other work mates allowing for bonding opportunities.
Occupational Health and Safety
Standards Doc Manager, Preventive Medicine Program (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 10, 2016
Provide comprehensive administrative leadership and direction to instructional staff and students
Review all references
Update the training plan for the course
Translate documents French to English or vice versa
Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials
Pros
job security, teamwork
Cons
long hours, different projects at once
Great
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 8, 2016
I was a member of the Royal Canadian Navy in Victoria, BC. And though my career was ended by an injury, I have la great love and respect for the Navy, Sail on, Heart of Oak
Pros
Self Esteem and Discipline
Cons
Great comrodary with co-workers, excellent training and travel
MilitaryPolice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time in the Military with deployments, training, travel and great co-workers. The only reason why I am leaving is due to Medical Release because I broke my ankle and had to get it partially fused. I have full range of motion and use of my ankle but at high risk of re-injury if I do high impact physical activity such as running.
Pros
job security, benefits, and job advancement
Cons
need to be physically fit to advance or stay in the service
Enjoyable
RCEME Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 5, 2016
Not the experience I was looking for. Alot of waiting around for your trades course. The system is slow due to being mostly understaffed.
Best thing that ever happen to me
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 3, 2016
I completed 28 years reg force and 3 years with the res this gave me a great pension but it does not cover kids in university
Pros
health care and pension
Cons
Hard on faimly
Great job for adventure and development
Air Defence Artillleryman (Former Employee) –  CFB GagetownAugust 1, 2016
I look back very fondly on my military career. Lots of travel adventure, exposure to new things, and personal growth opportunity.
Pros
high wages, benefits, travel
Cons
long hours, work/life balance can be poor
A great career with lots of opportunity for self-improvement and leadership development
Chief Clerk Administration (Former Employee) –  CanadaJuly 31, 2016
A career in the military from age 19 to 42 was one of the best times in my life. I found it to be very challenging and rewarding as I progressed through the many stages of advancement in each rank. As an operational administrator I was required to deal with personalities form all walks of life, e.g the foot soldier, airman/airwoman, sailor, politicians, media, local professionals, and royalty. Even though there were at times that we worked many long hours, in stressful environments during crisis situations, we had the opportunity to have great social interactions with each other and many extended holidays. The hours were fixed. The pay was fixed. The opportunities to travel and to learn were many. Each year I could and did take at least one training course to help develop my skills. Self-discipline was instilled and professionalism developed. For the most part we worked as a team, military family with leaders and managers who understood our issues and needs.
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
Low wages, lack of support from citizens of Canada
Traffic Tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJuly 28, 2016
I have been a member of the Forces for the last 36 years. I have excellent bosses and one that should have not even have been allowed to have a mouse under their supervision. Buts as a organization it is one of high standards and I have been honoured to have served it and this Country of ours.
day at work
Standards Document Manager, Preventive Medicine (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 26, 2016
supervising and mentoring subordinate
performing inspections when requested
completing reports of inspections in a timely matter
maintain environmental records
office administration
answering questions via email or telephone
Pros
amount of annual days for holidays
Cons
secondary duties (sometimes too much)
Work in a fast paced enviorment with some of the best people that canada has to offer
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MBJuly 26, 2016
An amazing work experience that enabled me to travel all around the world and be apart of something much larger than myself. some days on the job can be a real grind, but being apart of a team really helps a person dig down to be all he can be
Pros
free haircuts
Cons
Can get abit dangerous at times
Good work environment,opportunity to advance
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2016
Eight hour day less 1/2 for lunch. Overall stress free comfortable work environment, though there is not much challenge in the day to day repetitiveness.
Pros
Stability and Job security
Cons
Micro management
great place to work
1 Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2016
Fast pace work environment and the best co-workers one could ask for. Always on the road makes it tough to balance work and personal life, best years of my life.
Canadian Forces Cook
Cook/Supervisor (Master Seaman) (Former Employee) –  Various postings throughout Canada.July 19, 2016
Long hours, time away from home were not the greatest. However the people I met, the places I've seen and the experiences I had were one in a million! It was a love/hate relationship I hope to never forget!
Pros
Benefits, travel, great people!
Cons
Long hours, and long periods away from home and family.
The military is a great opportunity for anyone with drive
Full Time Reg F and Full Time Pri Res (Former Employee) –  All across Canada, Isreal, Syria, AfghanistanJuly 16, 2016
Every day is different
I learned ALOT in the 32 years, including how to manage my time effectively under highly stressful situations,
As management, you learn how to effectively supervise multiple personnel
The hardest part of the job - see your military friends (family) hurt
The most enjoyable part of the job - making friends for life. You all go through the same experiences; good and bad.
Pros
You don't have to worry about what to wear to work
Cons
You wear the same thing everyday with 75 pounds of equipment on your back
No life like it!
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 12, 2016
Yes it is very true, there is no life like it. I have seen many young individuals turn their lives around because of the Canadian Forces. I would not trade the experiences, training, friendships for anything. After over 30 years served it is hard to leave, but at the same time a new door opening full of new experiences. I am a firm believer that our military should be bigger in emphasis positive structure for our youth.
Pros
Experiences, training, friendships! Helping people in need!
Cons
Leaving your family for spirts of time.
Good training & good experience
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 5, 2016
Very good experience, you get paid to get trained. It helps to be in good physical shape. Some people pull their rank, and sometimes you will be messed around with on course. Other than that, they do their best to accommodate you for your needs. Good wages, and benefits of course - to both part time and full time.

4.3