Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Review
Boatswain (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 1, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day when employed by the Canadian Armed Forces which is one of the reasons for joining. A day could involve working on the ship alongside in Halifax or being deployed to sea for any period of time. The hardest part of my employment within the Forces would have to be the long period away from loved ones when deployed, however, knowing that we are helping the world while representing Canada makes the sacrifice worthwhile.
Progressive Secure employment
Section Commander/Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2015
Great Job just hard culture and must being willing to relocate every 3-5 years which makes it hard to raise a family.
Solid experience with great opportunites to deploy and serve your country.
Great career
Firefighter (Former Employee), VariousApril 25, 2015
Pros: great life experiance
Cons: great lengths away from family.
Great career and it was the best choice i could have ever made. Every person i ever meet was professional and we all worked close together and could trust each other to protect our backs as you really require in the type of jobs we were doing.
Fitness Instructor position
fitness instructor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2015
Pros: Laid back work environment, friendly staff, meet new people
Cons: politics surrounding PSP, wage, no opportunities for advancement
I worked as a Fitness Instructor with the CF for 5 years. Its a great opportunity to learn about military culture and meet many different people, while also being able to use your fitness/health skills to create fitness classes, programming to a wide variety of individuals.

The Fitness Instructor job was great to start but in Winnipeg there are no opportunities for advancement and you get stuck in that role unless you leave to take on other opportunities. The programming is very busy and demanding at times. Recent cutbacks with Fitness staff saw a loss of great instructors and loss of trust within DND to provide job security.

The hourly wage is not nearly enough for what you do and although the job has perks (clothing allowance, comp time, workout breaks) the hourly wage does not make up for that, hence why people move on to other jobs where they are compensated fairly.
Adventurous work place
Geospatial Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Away from home lots
There’s no such thing as a typical day in the Army. It’s always different and often exciting. While there may be plenty of opportunities for travel, life around base is just as rewarding.
was a fun active evironment
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCApril 20, 2015
I enjoyed being in the CF for the time i was in i learnd a lot and a lot about myself. unfortunately i was injured during training
Great Work Place
Private Trained (Gunner) (Former Employee), Shilo, MBApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lunch was 1hr and a half
Cons: working long hours in the field for 7 to 14 days straight.
We would start our day off at 0730hrs with physical training until about 0830hrs then we would get sent home to shower and change then back to work for usually 0900hrs or 0930hrs. Our day would consist of weapons and vehicle maintenance, cleaning our work area or doing drill practice which consist of either weapons or parade practice. We would go for lunch from 1130hrs to 1300hrs, then repeat our morning routines if necessary then our day would end at 1600hrs. Its a great work environment, with lots of driven people and a great chain of command. Work days were Monday to Friday with weekends off, unless we deployed to the field for a Regimental Exercise which usually goes from 7 to 14 days straight.
Very physically demanding, and meet a lot of new people of different backgrounds
Combat Engineer (Former Employee), CanadaApril 15, 2015
Pros: Cooked meals, awesome benefits, free gym, discounts at certain stores
Cons: long waiting periods to start training courses
After basic training I lived on a PAT platoon which is where you are put until your course trade starts. A normal day would be waking up at 6 am to start morning pt at 6:30 and then breakfast at 8:00 to sit in a classroom all day doing absolutely nothing, unless you had a tasking given to you. Lunch at 12:00 till 1:00 and back to the classroom. Then afternoon pt at 3:00 till 4:00 and the rest of the day was mine to do as pleased. When you are on a training course though, it is fun and a great experience. You meet a lot of unique people and learn to work with people even if you do not like them. Teamwork is everything. I learned how to transition into military life which is a culture shock, qualified as a soldier, and got to see different parts of Canada.
No life like it!
Serviceman (Former Employee), Canada, Europe and the Middle EastApril 11, 2015
Pros: Comradeship, travel, and administrative support. Good holidays!
Cons: Being placed in the middle of Riots, War and Insurrection
You were on call 24/7. Training was not only encouraged - it was manditory! Skills taught were all encompassing. Survivial, field and battlecraft, parade square, driving, communications, map and compass, typing, management, physical and mental conditioning, et al. Co-workers were the best and the job was diverse; from the mundane to the insane! I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything!
Artilleryman and Ammunition Technician
Ammunition Technician (Former Employee), accross countryApril 7, 2015
26 plus years of military service has given me a lot of experiences, both bad and good but overall there are way too many benefits to mention.
Surrounded by hardworking motivated individuals
Non Commissioned Member (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 5, 2015
Training in the garrison and the field, learn infantry tactics and weapons handling and maintenance. Surrounded by hardworking, motivated, team players.
Not your average part time job
Infantry Reservist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 2, 2015
great work environment
you learn numerous different things
you work with a lot of different people
management is always understanding
somewhat flexible hours
Interesting Place to Work
Section Commander (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Currently I am primarily employed as an instructor and supervisor. I teach courses for the 32 CBG Battle School, and am a supervisor at my home unit (32 Signal Regiment).

On a typical day I am reviewing information regarding upcoming scheduled training, ensuring the administration is complete for the soldiers I am supervising, and ensuring all other aspects of the unit are functioning well.
A Life / Carreer in the Army is the best thing you could ever do for yourself !
Warrant Officer (Former Employee), All over Canada and EuropeApril 2, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
There is never a dull day when you're in the Army, and if there is it's always your boss' fault !

I served for 20 years and wouldn't have done anything different if I had the chance to do it all over again. Saw the world, learned to be a soldier and a leader. What more do you want ?
Interesting Carrier lots of travel
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Canada, Germany, Israel, UAE,March 29, 2015
Pros: medical dental health care
Cons: long hours and being away from family.
Managed coworkers to ensure tasks are completed.
office management
Dealing with problems and arguments between coworkers.
human resource hiring and evaluating term employees
organised training and carrier coursers for coworkers.
I enjoyed the travel to different countries.
Great training, everybody should experience it
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Really enjoyed time spent with the Military. Opportunity to travel and see parts of the world I otherwise would not have. I feel the training was second to none as it was not a production based outfit.
The pay and benefits are a bonus
Gunner (Artillery) (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONMarch 27, 2015
Pros: new friends
Cons: long hours
Great Benefits; Salary was good; Diverse people; Ever changing work place.Lifestyle can be hard on family unit with long periods of being away from family
Canadian Forces
SEARCH AND RESCUE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Comox, BCMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: Part of the military
Military provided a salary based career that allowed me to build life experience and travel around the world. It installed discipline and a regimented lifestyle, allowing me to discover possibilities I would never had know existed prior to my enlistment.
good
Armored Crew Man (Former Employee), Toronto ontarioMarch 20, 2015
i was a good job got to work with a good group of guys always a good time never had any complaints it was a job it wasnt always easy but thats work for you
Exciting and Challenging Career
Military Logistics Officer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2015
Opportunities to learn a trade or skill as well as develop as a person. Diversity of locations in which to employ/grow/develop your skills in garrisons or deployed on operations or training in Canada or around the world.

1 2 3 4 5

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more