Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

great place to work
1 Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2016
Fast pace work environment and the best co-workers one could ask for. Always on the road makes it tough to balance work and personal life, best years of my life.
Canadian Forces Cook
Cook/Supervisor (Master Seaman) (Former Employee) –  Various postings throughout Canada.July 19, 2016
Long hours, time away from home were not the greatest. However the people I met, the places I've seen and the experiences I had were one in a million! It was a love/hate relationship I hope to never forget!
Pros
Benefits, travel, great people!
Cons
Long hours, and long periods away from home and family.
The military is a great opportunity for anyone with drive
Full Time Reg F and Full Time Pri Res (Former Employee) –  All across Canada, Isreal, Syria, AfghanistanJuly 16, 2016
Every day is different
I learned ALOT in the 32 years, including how to manage my time effectively under highly stressful situations,
As management, you learn how to effectively supervise multiple personnel
The hardest part of the job - see your military friends (family) hurt
The most enjoyable part of the job - making friends for life. You all go through the same experiences; good and bad.
Pros
You don't have to worry about what to wear to work
Cons
You wear the same thing everyday with 75 pounds of equipment on your back
No life like it!
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 12, 2016
Yes it is very true, there is no life like it. I have seen many young individuals turn their lives around because of the Canadian Forces. I would not trade the experiences, training, friendships for anything. After over 30 years served it is hard to leave, but at the same time a new door opening full of new experiences. I am a firm believer that our military should be bigger in emphasis positive structure for our youth.
Pros
Experiences, training, friendships! Helping people in need!
Cons
Leaving your family for spirts of time.
Good training & good experience
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 5, 2016
Very good experience, you get paid to get trained. It helps to be in good physical shape. Some people pull their rank, and sometimes you will be messed around with on course. Other than that, they do their best to accommodate you for your needs. Good wages, and benefits of course - to both part time and full time.
Tough, challenging and fun
Operational Crew Member (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 29, 2016
I served in the artillery then I jumped over to the RCAF. Great benefits, good training, opportunities for post-secondary allowances and a decent well earned salary.

The military lifestyle is not for everyone. It boils down to service before self. Can you motivate yourself to complete the mission at hand no matter how dangerous, mind numbing or complicated it may be? Can you make due?

The only negative thing I have to say about the CAF in general is that the back log in Ottawa is outrageous. Medals, pension pay outs, record requests, you name it, if the request goes to Ottawa, it can take a long time! Local requests at the base level can happen quickly and are often most effective, however, at times the request needs Ottawa's approval and they will decide which colour to paint the bike shed....
Pros
Fun, Salary, Challenging
Cons
long hours, hurry up and wait, Ottawa
CFB Esquimalt, Great place to work. Great view.
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Esquimalt, BCJune 29, 2016
CFB Esquimalt was a great place to work. I enjoyed the Calibration Centre. I worked with fantastic people at the mechanical laboratory of the calibration centre. Was responsible for the maintenance daily of all branches, air, navy, land. Thanks for the good times!
Pros
The view
Cons
Tsunami drills in effect
Demanding yet proportionally rewarding workplace environment.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 28, 2016
- A typical day involved morning physical training, followed by other training or garrison duties and usually involved normal working hours.
- The most important thing I learned was the ability to bring a group of individuals to work as a team, sometimes in very demanding circumstances.
-The hardest part of the job were the long periods away from home on training or deployments.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning and self improvement.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Long periods away from home
Life Changing
Private (Former Employee) –  Farnham, QCJune 28, 2016
Hard work but really helps build your leadership skills and offers a life changing experience. I was there about 20 years ago in Quebec.
good
good (Former Employee) –  goodJune 24, 2016
I enjoyed serving my country. It gave me fulfillment serving my country.
I gain a lot of life experience here that has followed me through life.
Enjoyed sailing and being on the water
Sonar Operator I (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 17, 2016
There is no job like it. you get to travel the world and experience unique and fun challenges in an ever changing environment . The leadership I have gained through my experiences has been life changing
fun when actually doing the job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 16, 2016
gets boring hard work due to absent fellow troops. summer taskings werre good as we practiced our jobs. lots of fun and met new people whom im still in contact with
Focused on discipline, skill, fitness, and ability to work as a team.
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
The Canadian Armed forces presents many opportunities, though some challenging, that not only teach me skills as a soldier- but also instill discipline and teamwork skills as well as occasional leadership positions.
Pros
Physical and mental fitness, discipline, leadership opportunity.
Cons
Long hours.
Good experince
Crewmen (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON, Gagetown,NBJune 12, 2016
Very good experince working with the Department of National Defense. i had many experinces working with other cultures and working in any weather conditions.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Lack of career progression
Unique Experience
Regular Force Air Force Avionics System Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJune 9, 2016
You will not experience anything quite like the Canadian Military. I was an Avionics Systems Technician and an Infantryman. Both were completely opposite careers. Both were fantastic opportunities.
Perserverance through hard work
Combat Engineer, Reserves (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 7, 2016
The military offers every chance for each individual to succeed at any given task, through mental and physical instruction, and hard work.
Discipline is everything.
Reservist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 5, 2016
The ability to follow commands and work hard is the most important thing being a reservist. The high stress environment builds your ability to handle such situations as well as prepares you for drastic events. I learned to always obey and submit to your higher authority as well as do your very best at your job. Working as a team is much more important and reliable than trying to do everything on your own. The hardest part of this job I would have to say was the sleep deprevation.
Driven environment balanced with great sense of comradery
Logistics - Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 2, 2016
To keep it short and simple, there are many different trades and job opportunities with the RCN.

There is no typical day as there are many different organized events or duties that need to be performed.
You many go from sailing the Vancouver Islands 1 week to being on a shooting range practicing your marksmanship the following week.

Military is an environment where everyone gets along quite well and help one another in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting people from all around Canada
Cons
Lack of funding from government, less chance for advancement
A challenging career but rewarding
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ON, Lahr, Germany, Shilo MB & Regina SKMay 30, 2016
took me from a civilian to a trained soldier;
structured environment with every day knowing what you were doing;
advancement and promotions available through the passing of the appropriate courses and training;
esprit d' corps with the soldiers you served with and everyone always got along as we spent so much time together;
being away for courses, deployments and training 2/3's of the year, thus being away from your family thus affecting work/life balance;
serving Canada and it citizens and interests be they in Canada or abroad;
The Canadian Forces was a great career and taught me confidence, hard work ethic and leadership
Pros
Free food while deployed, extra money while deployed and many days off after training or deployment
Cons
long hours, working in all weather conditions, lots of time away from home
team player
Aviation Technician (Current Employee) –  Gagetown, NBMay 29, 2016
The military is like a second family. People are very friendly. We work as a team helping each other. You learn how to fix aircrafts .

4.3