Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Great comrodary with co-workers, excellent training and travel
MilitaryPolice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time in the Military with deployments, training, travel and great co-workers. The only reason why I am leaving is due to Medical Release because I broke my ankle and had to get it partially fused. I have full range of motion and use of my ankle but at high risk of re-injury if I do high impact physical activity such as running.
Pros
job security, benefits, and job advancement
Cons
need to be physically fit to advance or stay in the service
Occupational Health and Safety
Standards Doc Manager, Preventive Medicine Program (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONAugust 10, 2016
Provide comprehensive administrative leadership and direction to instructional staff and students
Review all references
Update the training plan for the course
Translate documents French to English or vice versa
Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials
Pros
job security, teamwork
Cons
long hours, different projects at once
The military is a great opportunity for anyone with drive
Full Time Reg F and Full Time Pri Res (Former Employee) –  All across Canada, Isreal, Syria, AfghanistanJuly 16, 2016
Every day is different
I learned ALOT in the 32 years, including how to manage my time effectively under highly stressful situations,
As management, you learn how to effectively supervise multiple personnel
The hardest part of the job - see your military friends (family) hurt
The most enjoyable part of the job - making friends for life. You all go through the same experiences; good and bad.
Pros
You don't have to worry about what to wear to work
Cons
You wear the same thing everyday with 75 pounds of equipment on your back
No life like it!
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 12, 2016
Yes it is very true, there is no life like it. I have seen many young individuals turn their lives around because of the Canadian Forces. I would not trade the experiences, training, friendships for anything. After over 30 years served it is hard to leave, but at the same time a new door opening full of new experiences. I am a firm believer that our military should be bigger in emphasis positive structure for our youth.
Pros
Experiences, training, friendships! Helping people in need!
Cons
Leaving your family for spirts of time.
Demanding yet proportionally rewarding workplace environment.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 28, 2016
- A typical day involved morning physical training, followed by other training or garrison duties and usually involved normal working hours.
- The most important thing I learned was the ability to bring a group of individuals to work as a team, sometimes in very demanding circumstances.
-The hardest part of the job were the long periods away from home on training or deployments.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning and self improvement.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Long periods away from home
Discipline is everything.
Reservist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 5, 2016
The ability to follow commands and work hard is the most important thing being a reservist. The high stress environment builds your ability to handle such situations as well as prepares you for drastic events. I learned to always obey and submit to your higher authority as well as do your very best at your job. Working as a team is much more important and reliable than trying to do everything on your own. The hardest part of this job I would have to say was the sleep deprevation.
Driven environment balanced with great sense of comradery
Logistics - Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 2, 2016
To keep it short and simple, there are many different trades and job opportunities with the RCN.

There is no typical day as there are many different organized events or duties that need to be performed.
You many go from sailing the Vancouver Islands 1 week to being on a shooting range practicing your marksmanship the following week.

Military is an environment where everyone gets along quite well and help one another in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting people from all around Canada
Cons
Lack of funding from government, less chance for advancement
Amazing Opportunity
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 19, 2016
This is a great career with a wide array of job opportunity and a chance to get a great education. The work is tough, with a high probability of a lack of sleep. You are fed and housed for the duration of your contract and are often provided transportation.

There are many different people from all walks of life and learning can potentially never end. Training and advancement are set out for your entire career.

University is paid for with the requirement of time in service.
College is reimbursed up to a low amount and only in fields that is listed by them.

Hard work, but you earn a family.
Pros
The sky is the limit.
Cons
Pay scale is set by the govn't with no bonuses. Not an easy job, most of the time.
Work in a fast paced enviorment with some of the best people that canada has to offer
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Shilo, MBJuly 26, 2016
An amazing work experience that enabled me to travel all around the world and be apart of something much larger than myself. some days on the job can be a real grind, but being apart of a team really helps a person dig down to be all he can be
Pros
free haircuts
Cons
Can get abit dangerous at times
day at work
Standards Document Manager, Preventive Medicine (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 26, 2016
supervising and mentoring subordinate
performing inspections when requested
completing reports of inspections in a timely matter
maintain environmental records
office administration
answering questions via email or telephone
Pros
amount of annual days for holidays
Cons
secondary duties (sometimes too much)
A challenging career but rewarding
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ON, Lahr, Germany, Shilo MB & Regina SKMay 30, 2016
took me from a civilian to a trained soldier;
structured environment with every day knowing what you were doing;
advancement and promotions available through the passing of the appropriate courses and training;
esprit d' corps with the soldiers you served with and everyone always got along as we spent so much time together;
being away for courses, deployments and training 2/3's of the year, thus being away from your family thus affecting work/life balance;
serving Canada and it citizens and interests be they in Canada or abroad;
The Canadian Forces was a great career and taught me confidence, hard work ethic and leadership
Pros
Free food while deployed, extra money while deployed and many days off after training or deployment
Cons
long hours, working in all weather conditions, lots of time away from home
Tough, challenging and fun
Operational Crew Member (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 29, 2016
I served in the artillery then I jumped over to the RCAF. Great benefits, good training, opportunities for post-secondary allowances and a decent well earned salary.

The military lifestyle is not for everyone. It boils down to service before self. Can you motivate yourself to complete the mission at hand no matter how dangerous, mind numbing or complicated it may be? Can you make due?

The only negative thing I have to say about the CAF in general is that the back log in Ottawa is outrageous. Medals, pension pay outs, record requests, you name it, if the request goes to Ottawa, it can take a long time! Local requests at the base level can happen quickly and are often most effective, however, at times the request needs Ottawa's approval and they will decide which colour to paint the bike shed....
Pros
Fun, Salary, Challenging
Cons
long hours, hurry up and wait, Ottawa
Focused on discipline, skill, fitness, and ability to work as a team.
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
The Canadian Armed forces presents many opportunities, though some challenging, that not only teach me skills as a soldier- but also instill discipline and teamwork skills as well as occasional leadership positions.
Pros
Physical and mental fitness, discipline, leadership opportunity.
Cons
Long hours.
CFB Esquimalt, Great place to work. Great view.
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Esquimalt, BCJune 29, 2016
CFB Esquimalt was a great place to work. I enjoyed the Calibration Centre. I worked with fantastic people at the mechanical laboratory of the calibration centre. Was responsible for the maintenance daily of all branches, air, navy, land. Thanks for the good times!
Pros
The view
Cons
Tsunami drills in effect
Productive Job, Great people, FAMILY
Casualty Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 19, 2016
I enrolled in the Canadian Forces (CF) back in 1989 and have loved every minute of it. I got to meet great people, travel, play sports and have a career.

Over my time in the CF, I have learned to appreciate the things that we as Canadians take for granted: running water, electricity, transportation, communication devices. As being part of an Observation Force Team, I have gone to countries that are war torn, and do not have the luxuries and programs that we as Canadians have.
Pros
Great people, rewarding job
Good training & good experience
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 5, 2016
Very good experience, you get paid to get trained. It helps to be in good physical shape. Some people pull their rank, and sometimes you will be messed around with on course. Other than that, they do their best to accommodate you for your needs. Good wages, and benefits of course - to both part time and full time.
Meh
MSE OP (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 17, 2016
Everyone has a different experience with the military. Mine was particularly full of things falling through and being disliked by childish higher ups. I loved the opportunity and the training, but it was just run like a bully camp, and there are way too many slugs and insecure losers in higher positions that really shouldn't be. I made friends for life, but at the end of it I was screwed out of so many things and treated poorly that it was not a welcoming or enjoyable experience by the end.
Pros
Learn great skills
Cons
way too many weirdos and insecure losers.
Canadian Forces Cook
Cook/Supervisor (Master Seaman) (Former Employee) –  Various postings throughout Canada.July 19, 2016
Long hours, time away from home were not the greatest. However the people I met, the places I've seen and the experiences I had were one in a million! It was a love/hate relationship I hope to never forget!
Pros
Benefits, travel, great people!
Cons
Long hours, and long periods away from home and family.
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
Traffic Tech (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJuly 28, 2016
I have been a member of the Forces for the last 36 years. I have excellent bosses and one that should have not even have been allowed to have a mouse under their supervision. Buts as a organization it is one of high standards and I have been honoured to have served it and this Country of ours.

4.3