Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
Pros: medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons: sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons: Pressure, little control over work placements
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee), Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Pay, benefits and leave
Cons: Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Pros: great benefits package
Cons: long hours and movement on a moments notice
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Great benefits and long vacations
Cons: Unknown hours and time away from home
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.
OHS Assistant
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to be introduced to an work environment of military and civilian personnel
Variety of opportunities to:
Assisted in investigation and provided recommendations to avoid future incidents
Participated in Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings to address health issues and return to work procedures
Drafted a proposal and implemented the procedure for dealing with disposal of batteries
Created standard operating procedures for Safety Management Systems
Conducted routine inspections of work sites to ensure all health and safety protocols were being maintained and followed up with any areas of concern
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee), St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Training and experience
Cons: long hours, very little sleep
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Great Career Choice
Infantryman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Long Hours
Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment — Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert — and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations. The primary duties of an Infantry Soldiers are to:

Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of weapons, including rifle, hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns, and anti-tank weapons
Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance
Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles, survival gear and personal defensive equipment
Participate in airborne operations
Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical and artillery
Engage in unarmed combat
Employ camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics.
Great work, but not for a family man
ATIS Tech (Former Employee), Greenwood, NSOctober 9, 2015
Pros: Decent pay, job security, benefits
Cons: Creates hardship on families
The work was great but with extreme lack of accommodation for family. Upper management saw only numbers, rather than people. There was definite possibility for advancement and the job security is unrivalled.
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: oppertunity
Cons: must live where they tell you
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Excellent work environment
Lieutenant, Fire Chief, Edmonton Garrison (Former Employee), CanadaApril 6, 2016
Pros: Job security
Cons: Deployments
An amazing career with no regrets. Many different opportunities and great travel opportunities.
Educational opportunities and career advancement are abundant.
Amazing experience
Master Corporal (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
Pros: Training. Friendships. Aventure
Cons: Too long away from home.
This job varied from day to day, yet could still be repetitive enough to predictable. Any given day you could be tasked to go somewhere, do something that could take you away from home for a night to months. I learned and was expected to be flexible, adaptive and work with little information to having all the information and yet still be flexible to adjust for those blind sided changes. Always had a support system through co-workers, some people did not adjust well to military way of life and it showed. Others and the majority embraced the life style. Bonds of friendships were made and will never be forgotten. Difficult times were spending months away in harsh conditions, yet still brought moments to cherish.
Be very aware of "Non Public Funds- NPF"
Deputy Regional Accounting Manager (Former Employee), CFB EdmontonJuly 26, 2015
The life of working for NPF side of the CF is full of politics and disorganization.
You get treated as if you are in the army and expected to commit your life to them, just as the soldiers do.
There is no end to your work day, as you are expected to eat, breathe and sleep about your work.
Don't expect to have much of a family life, or work life balance. There are smoke and mirrors around this.
Training and support is dismal at best.
If you choose to work here, your eyes will be opened wide after you have been there at least 6 months.
Excelent place of employment
Watch Officer - Joint Operations Centre (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
Pros: Great healthcare plan and pension
Cons: shift work, lots of travelling
I have learned a lot over my 30+year career, I would recommend the military to anyone. I have no regrets and I want to take my skills learned and pass it on to the local Workforce here in Edmonton.
Excellent organization to build a career from
Imagery Technician and Supervisor (Former Employee), Canada and World wideNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Job security
I spent 37 years 7 months and 28 days in the Canadian Armed Forces and I would do it all over again if I could. I spent the first 9 years in the Army as a Field Engineer where I was involved in construction roads and bridges, destruction using demolitions, operating armoured vehicles and Combat diving. In 1987 I transferred to the Air force as an Imagery Technician where I provided imagery support and advice to senior commanders. I was involved in operations in the air, on land, on the water and underwater.
Working with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF
Section Commander to the ill and injured soldiers (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONApril 12, 2016
Pros: Seeing an ill and injured soldier return to his unit on full active duty.
Cons: Change of policies which affected the termination of my employment.
Professionally work with the ill and injured soldiers of the CAF and assisted with their daily administration while managing their expectations with the CAF.
I learned that with compassion and dedication one can assist some of the most injured members of our society.
The immediate management were some of the best supervisors I have ever worked for.
My co-workers were amazing and we continuously communicated and brainstormed various options to assist our clients.
The hardest part of the job was working with ill and injured soldiers that had suicidal tendencies.
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting and observing ill and injured soldiers with suicidal tendencies overcome their illness and proceeding to have successfully lives to date.
infantry
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBMarch 28, 2016
Pros: free food
Cons: long hours
my time in the army was great i enjoyed all the experiences and the traveling and all the cool things you get to do but its a goood mix of suck and fun. in the end i enjoyed my time there
Very good place to work with a lot of security and pride
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBMay 21, 2015
Pros: Pride, job security, pension, very good benefits, seeing many parts of the world
Cons: extended periods away from family
As a member of the Canadian Forces my day varied all the time. Most mornings started with PT (Physical Training) but many days included other training, both domestic and also in preparation for upcoming deployments. I could be working in one of many warehouses one day and be out on the ranges throwing grenades and firing weapons the next. What I learned is that every job I've ever experienced is most successful when you can 100% rely on the people around you that you work with. Management was critical. Most "managers" were very good at their jobs and learned to "lead by example". Most of my co-workers were incredible to work with and I trusted them completely with my safety in some very unsafe environments and situations. The hardest part of my job was the regular long periods away from my family and feeling like I was missing out on my kids lives. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of pride. Feeling like I was a part of something bigger than myself, and the ability to "do my part" on the world stage to represent my country.
Proudly serving Canadian Armed Forces
Governor General Foot Guards/Ceremonial Guard (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Being part of a proud and diverse history
Cons: Managing time within civilian life
- Strong team ethic
- Clear and structured environment
- Lots of room for advancement
- Wide spectrum of training and skill building
- Pride of work