Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
long hours and movement on a moments notice
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.
OHS Assistant
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to be introduced to an work environment of military and civilian personnel
Variety of opportunities to:
Assisted in investigation and provided recommendations to avoid future incidents
Participated in Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings to address health issues and return to work procedures
Drafted a proposal and implemented the procedure for dealing with disposal of batteries
Created standard operating procedures for Safety Management Systems
Conducted routine inspections of work sites to ensure all health and safety protocols were being maintained and followed up with any areas of concern
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Pros
Pay, benefits and leave
Cons
Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
Tough, challenging and fun
Operational Crew Member (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 29, 2016
I served in the artillery then I jumped over to the RCAF. Great benefits, good training, opportunities for post-secondary allowances and a decent well earned salary.

The military lifestyle is not for everyone. It boils down to service before self. Can you motivate yourself to complete the mission at hand no matter how dangerous, mind numbing or complicated it may be? Can you make due?

The only negative thing I have to say about the CAF in general is that the back log in Ottawa is outrageous. Medals, pension pay outs, record requests, you name it, if the request goes to Ottawa, it can take a long time! Local requests at the base level can happen quickly and are often most effective, however, at times the request needs Ottawa's approval and they will decide which colour to paint the bike shed....
Pros
Fun, Salary, Challenging
Cons
long hours, hurry up and wait, Ottawa
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Pros
Training and experience
Cons
long hours, very little sleep
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
Pros
Great benefits and long vacations
Cons
Unknown hours and time away from home
A challenging career but rewarding
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ON, Lahr, Germany, Shilo MB & Regina SKMay 30, 2016
took me from a civilian to a trained soldier;
structured environment with every day knowing what you were doing;
advancement and promotions available through the passing of the appropriate courses and training;
esprit d' corps with the soldiers you served with and everyone always got along as we spent so much time together;
being away for courses, deployments and training 2/3's of the year, thus being away from your family thus affecting work/life balance;
serving Canada and it citizens and interests be they in Canada or abroad;
The Canadian Forces was a great career and taught me confidence, hard work ethic and leadership
Pros
Free food while deployed, extra money while deployed and many days off after training or deployment
Cons
long hours, working in all weather conditions, lots of time away from home
Challenging work environment that requires solid team building
Logistician - Sergeant CDI (Retired) (Former Employee) –  CanadaSeptember 8, 2016
This is not a typical work environment that is easily explained. It best can be described as a unique way of life the promotes and requires a solid team functionality from top leadership to the lowest level. Probably the most rewarding career that builds character and develops people into great leaders and peers/co-workers in a team environment.
Pros
Meet people from all over Canada and the world, unique work environments and great comradery
Cons
Longs hours, extended time away from family
The military is a great opportunity for anyone with drive
Full Time Reg F and Full Time Pri Res (Former Employee) –  All across Canada, Isreal, Syria, AfghanistanJuly 16, 2016
Every day is different
I learned ALOT in the 32 years, including how to manage my time effectively under highly stressful situations,
As management, you learn how to effectively supervise multiple personnel
The hardest part of the job - see your military friends (family) hurt
The most enjoyable part of the job - making friends for life. You all go through the same experiences; good and bad.
Pros
You don't have to worry about what to wear to work
Cons
You wear the same thing everyday with 75 pounds of equipment on your back
Excellent work environment
Lieutenant, Fire Chief, Edmonton Garrison (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 6, 2016
An amazing career with no regrets. Many different opportunities and great travel opportunities.
Educational opportunities and career advancement are abundant.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Deployments
Amazing Opportunity
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 19, 2016
This is a great career with a wide array of job opportunity and a chance to get a great education. The work is tough, with a high probability of a lack of sleep. You are fed and housed for the duration of your contract and are often provided transportation.

There are many different people from all walks of life and learning can potentially never end. Training and advancement are set out for your entire career.

University is paid for with the requirement of time in service.
College is reimbursed up to a low amount and only in fields that is listed by them.

Hard work, but you earn a family.
Pros
The sky is the limit.
Cons
Pay scale is set by the govn't with no bonuses. Not an easy job, most of the time.
A great career with lots of opportunity for self-improvement and leadership development
Chief Clerk Administration (Former Employee) –  CanadaJuly 31, 2016
A career in the military from age 19 to 42 was one of the best times in my life. I found it to be very challenging and rewarding as I progressed through the many stages of advancement in each rank. As an operational administrator I was required to deal with personalities form all walks of life, e.g the foot soldier, airman/airwoman, sailor, politicians, media, local professionals, and royalty. Even though there were at times that we worked many long hours, in stressful environments during crisis situations, we had the opportunity to have great social interactions with each other and many extended holidays. The hours were fixed. The pay was fixed. The opportunities to travel and to learn were many. Each year I could and did take at least one training course to help develop my skills. Self-discipline was instilled and professionalism developed. For the most part we worked as a team, military family with leaders and managers who understood our issues and needs.
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
Low wages, lack of support from citizens of Canada
Demanding yet proportionally rewarding workplace environment.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 28, 2016
- A typical day involved morning physical training, followed by other training or garrison duties and usually involved normal working hours.
- The most important thing I learned was the ability to bring a group of individuals to work as a team, sometimes in very demanding circumstances.
-The hardest part of the job were the long periods away from home on training or deployments.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning and self improvement.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Long periods away from home
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Pros
oppertunity
Cons
must live where they tell you
Driven environment balanced with great sense of comradery
Logistics - Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 2, 2016
To keep it short and simple, there are many different trades and job opportunities with the RCN.

There is no typical day as there are many different organized events or duties that need to be performed.
You many go from sailing the Vancouver Islands 1 week to being on a shooting range practicing your marksmanship the following week.

Military is an environment where everyone gets along quite well and help one another in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting people from all around Canada
Cons
Lack of funding from government, less chance for advancement
No life like it!
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJuly 12, 2016
Yes it is very true, there is no life like it. I have seen many young individuals turn their lives around because of the Canadian Forces. I would not trade the experiences, training, friendships for anything. After over 30 years served it is hard to leave, but at the same time a new door opening full of new experiences. I am a firm believer that our military should be bigger in emphasis positive structure for our youth.
Pros
Experiences, training, friendships! Helping people in need!
Cons
Leaving your family for spirts of time.
Great comrodary with co-workers, excellent training and travel
MilitaryPolice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time in the Military with deployments, training, travel and great co-workers. The only reason why I am leaving is due to Medical Release because I broke my ankle and had to get it partially fused. I have full range of motion and use of my ankle but at high risk of re-injury if I do high impact physical activity such as running.
Pros
job security, benefits, and job advancement
Cons
need to be physically fit to advance or stay in the service

4.3