Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
New learning experiences every day
Reserves Intelligence Operator (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 22, 2015
Being part of the Canadian Forces has been a fulfilling experience. I have learned how to work well in a team and how to communicate my ideas properly.
Very good place to work with a lot of security and pride
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBMay 21, 2015
Pros: Pride, job security, pension, very good benefits, seeing many parts of the world
Cons: extended periods away from family
As a member of the Canadian Forces my day varied all the time. Most mornings started with PT (Physical Training) but many days included other training, both domestic and also in preparation for upcoming deployments. I could be working in one of many warehouses one day and be out on the ranges throwing grenades and firing weapons the next. What I learned is that every job I've ever experienced is most successful when you can 100% rely on the people around you that you work with. Management was critical. Most "managers" were very good at their jobs and learned to "lead by example". Most of my co-workers were incredible to work with and I trusted them completely with my safety in some very unsafe environments and situations. The hardest part of my job was the regular long periods away from my family and feeling like I was missing out on my kids lives. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of pride. Feeling like I was a part of something bigger than myself, and the ability to "do my part" on the world stage to represent my country.
Discipline, respect and team work
Clerk (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMay 20, 2015
Before my injury it would be an early morning run, followed by exercise either outside or at the gym. We would then learn new things daily and perfect other skills that we had already learned. All of this was in a very high paced environment where you had to work well both as an individual and a team member. Once I was unable to perform the physical requirements of the career my work day consisted of filing content sensitive data, completing orders for the entire base in regards to all of the reading materials they used, banners, books, business cards, etc While I was unable to complete the physical requirements of the profession, my mind remains just as sharp as ever, if not better. This is not to say that I am handicapped in any way shape or form.
Stressfull and demanding work enviornment.
Armoured Recce Soldier (Current Employee), Toronto, ON.May 6, 2015
Pros: Many life skills and disciplins achieved.
Cons: Difficult to make time for along with civilian life.
As an Armoured Recce Soldier within the reserves for just over a year i'v gained excellent leadership, ability to work with others, organisational, communication, ability to work under stress, and technical skills. The average days at work can be from a mere evening parade night of 3.5 hours spent maintaining equipment and participating in in class theory and practical skills to living out in the wilderness up to a couple of weeks training within our units in high intensity, fast paced, extremily disciplined enviornments with little to no sleep from days at a time.I work with great people all equally driven to serve ones country who offer support. The hardest part of the job for me personally is balancing it with civilian life and going through schooling. The most enjoyable part of this job for me is being abe to fulfill a chidhood dream of serving my country and obtaining life long skills in the process.
Review
Boatswain (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 1, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day when employed by the Canadian Armed Forces which is one of the reasons for joining. A day could involve working on the ship alongside in Halifax or being deployed to sea for any period of time. The hardest part of my employment within the Forces would have to be the long period away from loved ones when deployed, however, knowing that we are helping the world while representing Canada makes the sacrifice worthwhile.
Progressive Secure employment
Section Commander/Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2015
Great Job just hard culture and must being willing to relocate every 3-5 years which makes it hard to raise a family.
Solid experience with great opportunites to deploy and serve your country.
Great career
Firefighter (Former Employee), VariousApril 25, 2015
Pros: great life experiance
Cons: great lengths away from family.
Great career and it was the best choice i could have ever made. Every person i ever meet was professional and we all worked close together and could trust each other to protect our backs as you really require in the type of jobs we were doing.
Fitness Instructor position
fitness instructor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2015
Pros: Laid back work environment, friendly staff, meet new people
Cons: politics surrounding PSP, wage, no opportunities for advancement
I worked as a Fitness Instructor with the CF for 5 years. Its a great opportunity to learn about military culture and meet many different people, while also being able to use your fitness/health skills to create fitness classes, programming to a wide variety of individuals.

The Fitness Instructor job was great to start but in Winnipeg there are no opportunities for advancement and you get stuck in that role unless you leave to take on other opportunities. The programming is very busy and demanding at times. Recent cutbacks with Fitness staff saw a loss of great instructors and loss of trust within DND to provide job security.

The hourly wage is not nearly enough for what you do and although the job has perks (clothing allowance, comp time, workout breaks) the hourly wage does not make up for that, hence why people move on to other jobs where they are compensated fairly.
Adventurous work place
Geospatial Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Away from home lots
There’s no such thing as a typical day in the Army. It’s always different and often exciting. While there may be plenty of opportunities for travel, life around base is just as rewarding.
was a fun active evironment
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCApril 20, 2015
I enjoyed being in the CF for the time i was in i learnd a lot and a lot about myself. unfortunately i was injured during training
Great Work Place
Private Trained (Gunner) (Former Employee), Shilo, MBApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lunch was 1hr and a half
Cons: working long hours in the field for 7 to 14 days straight.
We would start our day off at 0730hrs with physical training until about 0830hrs then we would get sent home to shower and change then back to work for usually 0900hrs or 0930hrs. Our day would consist of weapons and vehicle maintenance, cleaning our work area or doing drill practice which consist of either weapons or parade practice. We would go for lunch from 1130hrs to 1300hrs, then repeat our morning routines if necessary then our day would end at 1600hrs. Its a great work environment, with lots of driven people and a great chain of command. Work days were Monday to Friday with weekends off, unless we deployed to the field for a Regimental Exercise which usually goes from 7 to 14 days straight.
Very physically demanding, and meet a lot of new people of different backgrounds
Combat Engineer (Former Employee), CanadaApril 15, 2015
Pros: Cooked meals, awesome benefits, free gym, discounts at certain stores
Cons: long waiting periods to start training courses
After basic training I lived on a PAT platoon which is where you are put until your course trade starts. A normal day would be waking up at 6 am to start morning pt at 6:30 and then breakfast at 8:00 to sit in a classroom all day doing absolutely nothing, unless you had a tasking given to you. Lunch at 12:00 till 1:00 and back to the classroom. Then afternoon pt at 3:00 till 4:00 and the rest of the day was mine to do as pleased. When you are on a training course though, it is fun and a great experience. You meet a lot of unique people and learn to work with people even if you do not like them. Teamwork is everything. I learned how to transition into military life which is a culture shock, qualified as a soldier, and got to see different parts of Canada.
No life like it!
Serviceman (Former Employee), Canada, Europe and the Middle EastApril 11, 2015
Pros: Comradeship, travel, and administrative support. Good holidays!
Cons: Being placed in the middle of Riots, War and Insurrection
You were on call 24/7. Training was not only encouraged - it was manditory! Skills taught were all encompassing. Survivial, field and battlecraft, parade square, driving, communications, map and compass, typing, management, physical and mental conditioning, et al. Co-workers were the best and the job was diverse; from the mundane to the insane! I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything!
Artilleryman and Ammunition Technician
Ammunition Technician (Former Employee), accross countryApril 7, 2015
26 plus years of military service has given me a lot of experiences, both bad and good but overall there are way too many benefits to mention.
Surrounded by hardworking motivated individuals
Non Commissioned Member (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 5, 2015
Training in the garrison and the field, learn infantry tactics and weapons handling and maintenance. Surrounded by hardworking, motivated, team players.
Not your average part time job
Infantry Reservist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 2, 2015
great work environment
you learn numerous different things
you work with a lot of different people
management is always understanding
somewhat flexible hours
Interesting Place to Work
Section Commander (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Currently I am primarily employed as an instructor and supervisor. I teach courses for the 32 CBG Battle School, and am a supervisor at my home unit (32 Signal Regiment).

On a typical day I am reviewing information regarding upcoming scheduled training, ensuring the administration is complete for the soldiers I am supervising, and ensuring all other aspects of the unit are functioning well.
A Life / Carreer in the Army is the best thing you could ever do for yourself !
Warrant Officer (Former Employee), All over Canada and EuropeApril 2, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
There is never a dull day when you're in the Army, and if there is it's always your boss' fault !

I served for 20 years and wouldn't have done anything different if I had the chance to do it all over again. Saw the world, learned to be a soldier and a leader. What more do you want ?
Interesting Carrier lots of travel
Postal Clerk (Former Employee), Canada, Germany, Israel, UAE,March 29, 2015
Pros: medical dental health care
Cons: long hours and being away from family.
Managed coworkers to ensure tasks are completed.
office management
Dealing with problems and arguments between coworkers.
human resource hiring and evaluating term employees
organised training and carrier coursers for coworkers.
I enjoyed the travel to different countries.
Great training, everybody should experience it
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2015
Really enjoyed time spent with the Military. Opportunity to travel and see parts of the world I otherwise would not have. I feel the training was second to none as it was not a production based outfit.

1 2 3 4 5

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more