Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Pros
oppertunity
Cons
must live where they tell you
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
long hours and movement on a moments notice
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Pros
Pay, benefits and leave
Cons
Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
Pros
Great benefits and long vacations
Cons
Unknown hours and time away from home
Great Career Choice
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2015
Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment — Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert — and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations. The primary duties of an Infantry Soldiers are to:

Expertly operate and maintain a wide range of weapons, including rifle, hand-grenades, light, medium and heavy machine-guns, and anti-tank weapons
Use sophisticated equipment for field communications, navigation and night-vision surveillance
Inspect and maintain weapon systems, vehicles, survival gear and personal defensive equipment
Participate in airborne operations
Operate with support elements such as fighter aircraft, tactical and artillery
Engage in unarmed combat
Employ camouflage and concealment, patrol, assault, defence, and escape-and-evasion tactics.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Hours are usually 8-4 most days
I've learned a lot through my experiences
Team work is good
Hardest part of job is potentially being away from family
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Could be moved away
Could be better
Aerospace Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 25, 2015
The job brings great benefits in terms of dental and medical as well as posting allowances which help you relocate. The military is poorly run on many levels and the salary based on what we do is considerably low.
Pros
Good benefits, pension
Cons
Managed poorly and salary is not the greatest
Great work, but not for a family man
ATIS Tech (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NSOctober 9, 2015
The work was great but with extreme lack of accommodation for family. Upper management saw only numbers, rather than people. There was definite possibility for advancement and the job security is unrivalled.
Pros
Decent pay, job security, benefits
Cons
Creates hardship on families
Words cannot explain
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 23, 2015
Words cannot possibly explain the benefits of the Canadian Forces, the people you meet, the things you do and places you see.

Stop reading and apply.
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Pros
Training and experience
Cons
long hours, very little sleep
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.
Fun and hardworking
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NBOctober 26, 2015
Hard working job. Work around the clock. Demands a lot of dedication and perseverance. I learned a lot about military lifestyle and how to improve teamwork skills and leadership skills.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad leaders
Average
Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 14, 2015
Average type of normal work. Standard level of physical fitness required to be successful. Company has many benefits for workers.
OHS Assistant
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to be introduced to an work environment of military and civilian personnel
Variety of opportunities to:
Assisted in investigation and provided recommendations to avoid future incidents
Participated in Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings to address health issues and return to work procedures
Drafted a proposal and implemented the procedure for dealing with disposal of batteries
Created standard operating procedures for Safety Management Systems
Conducted routine inspections of work sites to ensure all health and safety protocols were being maintained and followed up with any areas of concern
Amazing experience
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
This job varied from day to day, yet could still be repetitive enough to predictable. Any given day you could be tasked to go somewhere, do something that could take you away from home for a night to months. I learned and was expected to be flexible, adaptive and work with little information to having all the information and yet still be flexible to adjust for those blind sided changes. Always had a support system through co-workers, some people did not adjust well to military way of life and it showed. Others and the majority embraced the life style. Bonds of friendships were made and will never be forgotten. Difficult times were spending months away in harsh conditions, yet still brought moments to cherish.
Pros
Training. Friendships. Aventure
Cons
Too long away from home.
great job
infantry (Former Employee) –  edmonton ,abOctober 1, 2015
Great job, get to travel a lot, and made great friends along the way. benefits are among the best in Canada, and the work days are always different
Very good place to work with a lot of security and pride
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NBMay 21, 2015
As a member of the Canadian Forces my day varied all the time. Most mornings started with PT (Physical Training) but many days included other training, both domestic and also in preparation for upcoming deployments. I could be working in one of many warehouses one day and be out on the ranges throwing grenades and firing weapons the next. What I learned is that every job I've ever experienced is most successful when you can 100% rely on the people around you that you work with. Management was critical. Most "managers" were very good at their jobs and learned to "lead by example". Most of my co-workers were incredible to work with and I trusted them completely with my safety in some very unsafe environments and situations. The hardest part of my job was the regular long periods away from my family and feeling like I was missing out on my kids lives. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of pride. Feeling like I was a part of something bigger than myself, and the ability to "do my part" on the world stage to represent my country.
Pros
Pride, job security, pension, very good benefits, seeing many parts of the world
Cons
extended periods away from family
Very physically demanding, and meet a lot of new people of different backgrounds
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  CanadaApril 15, 2015
After basic training I lived on a PAT platoon which is where you are put until your course trade starts. A normal day would be waking up at 6 am to start morning pt at 6:30 and then breakfast at 8:00 to sit in a classroom all day doing absolutely nothing, unless you had a tasking given to you. Lunch at 12:00 till 1:00 and back to the classroom. Then afternoon pt at 3:00 till 4:00 and the rest of the day was mine to do as pleased. When you are on a training course though, it is fun and a great experience. You meet a lot of unique people and learn to work with people even if you do not like them. Teamwork is everything. I learned how to transition into military life which is a culture shock, qualified as a soldier, and got to see different parts of Canada.
Pros
Cooked meals, awesome benefits, free gym, discounts at certain stores
Cons
long waiting periods to start training courses

4.3