Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Hours are usually 8-4 most days
I've learned a lot through my experiences
Team work is good
Hardest part of job is potentially being away from family
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Could be moved away
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Pros
Training and experience
Cons
long hours, very little sleep
terrible
Marine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Esquimalt, BCFebruary 5, 2016
worst decision in my life ever , doctor left me disabled for life, forced to sail to Hawaii and mexico with a broken wrist. very disappointed with Canada and sad to call myself a proud canadian
stable and pays well
Naval Weapons Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 29, 2016
a normal day is showing up dressed professionally and clean. Then doing technical work until 2:15 then you clean for an hour and go home.

you will be expected to stay late and possibly work through the weekend to complete work to make the ship operational.
Heres what I learned
Army Communication Information System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Heres what learned
Advance resolution skills to unforeseen problems
Maintain control of high stress situations and environments
Excel in motivating and communicating with team members
Perform task beyond physical limits until objectives are accomplished
Meaningful Work
Training Officer and Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent for those wishing to engage with youth aged 12-19 in a variety of academic and field settings in a military environment.
Great place
Marine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 25, 2016
Was one of the best places to work except when you had to go on extended trips away from the family.

They have great benefit and do a lot of stuff with or for the family.
Pros
See great places
Cons
Miss family events
Served in the military
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, Germany and YugoslaviaJanuary 25, 2016
I served in the military for 23 years of my life. I served my country as my father, grandfather, and my brother. I was willing to put my life on the line at any moment. I served oversea and spent 6 months in Yugo on U.N. Duty. My job the on U.N. Duty was to clear mines and booby trap devices. I would serve again if I could. Life was not easy at all times while I serve and did my best to do the job I did. The longest day that I worked was bridge building were we worked for 36 hr before we were aloud to sleep ( it was a great time ).
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Pros
Pay, benefits and leave
Cons
Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
Proudly serving Canadian Armed Forces
Governor General Foot Guards/Ceremonial Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
- Strong team ethic
- Clear and structured environment
- Lots of room for advancement
- Wide spectrum of training and skill building
- Pride of work
Pros
Being part of a proud and diverse history
Cons
Managing time within civilian life
High pace enviroment. Much to learn in very little time.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2016
From day one when you start boot camp you're on the ground running. A barrage of information is thrown at you at all times and you're expected to remember it and memorize it in an instant. Its very hard at first but after a few weeks you find it start to become easier and easier.

The classroom is just as intense as the physical side of the military. You'll be in a classroom learning and taking notes just as much as you'll be sleeping in a hole or crawling through mud.

Since the Canadian Forces is a volunteer force everyone there wants to be there. You'll make life long friends as you suffer together through the first grueling year of basic training courses.

There are many branches of the military and within those branches there are dozens of jobs which are crucial to its function. From a front line fighting infantrymen to the pencil pushing clerks. Everyone has a purpose and a reason within the big green machine. No one has a pointless job and everyone is crucial to the bigger picture in one way or another.
Military Service is exemplary
AVN Technician (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Everyone should spend time in the military. The best skills and disciplines I have learned in my life so far. I worked as an CF-18 Fighter jet technician and Skyhawks parachute demonstrator for 6 years.
Pros
Serving your country
Cons
May relocate often
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
Pros
Hard work and personal development.
Cons
Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
6 year contract
Weapons Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 6, 2016
days varied with the routine at the time and the position you were posted to. not many days were spent doing the job in my title but some times that was good and others it wasn't
working with todays youth
Cadet Instructor Cadre (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
It is a pleasure to work with the youth, growing their confidents, awareness of others and what it means to be a part of community.
Leadership skills are developed and pasted down to the new generation.
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
Pros
Great benefits and long vacations
Cons
Unknown hours and time away from home
I love it a lot
Artillery Soldier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 27, 2015
The Canadian Armed Forces is the best career I have ever had. It's given me endless opportunities and I want to serve till the day I die.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Lack of serving members
Words cannot explain
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 23, 2015
Words cannot possibly explain the benefits of the Canadian Forces, the people you meet, the things you do and places you see.

Stop reading and apply.
challenging fast paced enviroment
Recruit (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCDecember 5, 2015
In basic training everything is a test.
this is not a job for everyone but if you have what it takes to make it through your career will be set
Loved the various jobs and moving around.
Chief Clerk, Sergeant (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 2, 2015
I loved the various jobs within the military. I got to see a lot of the world especially working for NATO. I loved protecting Canada.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
The military owns you 24/7.

4.3