Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing Opportunity
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 19, 2016
This is a great career with a wide array of job opportunity and a chance to get a great education. The work is tough, with a high probability of a lack of sleep. You are fed and housed for the duration of your contract and are often provided transportation.

There are many different people from all walks of life and learning can potentially never end. Training and advancement are set out for your entire career.

University is paid for with the requirement of time in service.
College is reimbursed up to a low amount and only in fields that is listed by them.

Hard work, but you earn a family.
Pros
The sky is the limit.
Cons
Pay scale is set by the govn't with no bonuses. Not an easy job, most of the time.
Productive Job, Great people, FAMILY
Casualty Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 19, 2016
I enrolled in the Canadian Forces (CF) back in 1989 and have loved every minute of it. I got to meet great people, travel, play sports and have a career.

Over my time in the CF, I have learned to appreciate the things that we as Canadians take for granted: running water, electricity, transportation, communication devices. As being part of an Observation Force Team, I have gone to countries that are war torn, and do not have the luxuries and programs that we as Canadians have.
Pros
Great people, rewarding job
OHS Assistant
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to be introduced to an work environment of military and civilian personnel
Variety of opportunities to:
Assisted in investigation and provided recommendations to avoid future incidents
Participated in Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings to address health issues and return to work procedures
Drafted a proposal and implemented the procedure for dealing with disposal of batteries
Created standard operating procedures for Safety Management Systems
Conducted routine inspections of work sites to ensure all health and safety protocols were being maintained and followed up with any areas of concern
met alot of new friends and like the moving around to different provinces
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
usually from 7:30am until 4pm unless you were on-call. Get in coveralls and pick up your work orders and start your job. Had gym/sports training 3 or 4 times a week. Learned to be a team player in the job and on sports teams. Never had to much to do with management if I could. Some of the best people in the world to work/play with. Whenever you or someone got posted and you had to leave your friends behind or if someone died. Meeting new friends and keeping in shape. All of the sports and extra activities that were available.
Pros
medical and dental benefits and family support.
Cons
sometimes long hrs and getting posted every 3 or so years leaving friends
Excellent benefits, very rewarding
Resource Management Support (RMS) Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2016
Incredibly rewarding career with great benefits and unending possibilities for personal and professional growth. The most difficult part is sometimes having to leave family behind, but the "new family" you have within the military is an amazing and unique bond that lasts for life.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Comraderie
Cons
Pressure, little control over work placements
Amazing experience
Master Corporal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
This job varied from day to day, yet could still be repetitive enough to predictable. Any given day you could be tasked to go somewhere, do something that could take you away from home for a night to months. I learned and was expected to be flexible, adaptive and work with little information to having all the information and yet still be flexible to adjust for those blind sided changes. Always had a support system through co-workers, some people did not adjust well to military way of life and it showed. Others and the majority embraced the life style. Bonds of friendships were made and will never be forgotten. Difficult times were spending months away in harsh conditions, yet still brought moments to cherish.
Pros
Training. Friendships. Aventure
Cons
Too long away from home.
Good place to work lots of fun
Armoured Soldier/ Crewman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
I would recommend the CF to anyone who has perseverance and who wants a change in their life.

Lots of benefits, medical dental. Free gym and personal fitness training.

Its like having access to anything you want but you have to live the military life and that can sometimes be a negative.

Lots of pros and cons but overall its worth a three year contract for sure.

I don't regret it one bit.

Thanks
Pros
oppertunity
Cons
must live where they tell you
High Pace, Constantly Changing Priorities, Satisfying, Comradeship
G4/6 - Officer - logistics, communications/IT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2016
There were no typical days as every day brought new challenges along with those that remained from previous days. I learned coordination with outside agencies must be constantly monitored. Although the management in the group was continuously changing, I easily adapted and with our combined knowledge, we made a great team. The comradeship with all the personnel including the civilians was fantastic, as everyone cared for each other. I found the hardest part of the job was the inability to provide the needed equipment to our personnel due to budget constraints beyond our control. The most satisfying part of the job was coming to work each day knowing that I was going to resolve some issues and help someone or group of personnel accomplish their mission.
Served in the military
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, Germany and YugoslaviaJanuary 25, 2016
I served in the military for 23 years of my life. I served my country as my father, grandfather, and my brother. I was willing to put my life on the line at any moment. I served oversea and spent 6 months in Yugo on U.N. Duty. My job the on U.N. Duty was to clear mines and booby trap devices. I would serve again if I could. Life was not easy at all times while I serve and did my best to do the job I did. The longest day that I worked was bridge building were we worked for 36 hr before we were aloud to sleep ( it was a great time ).
Alot different from the civilian work world.
Procurement and Contracting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shilo, MBJanuary 20, 2016
The day starts with PT. I learned new soft skills as well as new hard skills.
Management is very good, just do your job and do as you are asked. For the most part I get along with everyone I have ever worked with, although I have worked with people who enjoy chatting more than working.
I enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Pros
Pay, benefits and leave
Cons
Alot of time away from home if training for a tour.
Amazing workplace but not for all
Non Commissioned Member (Pte) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 13, 2016
Unlike many other jobs for students this one requires a huge personal commitment and set of mind that is not present in other jobs. I loved my time their but found that I was not suited for the military life style that is found in the reserves.
Pros
Great bonds
Cons
Great deal of change required
A day in the life of the C.F.
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 13, 2016
We start our day with 2hrs of PT (phyisical training) which could consist of cross or circuit training, ruck march, or a sport ie: hockey, soccer, etc... then to work on what ever vehicle require maintenence. We would participate in field excersises working in every type of weather condition Canada has, for months at a time. Work environment was very challenging making us think outside the box. I enjoyed the teamwork and comroddery.
Pros
Hard work and personal development.
Cons
Unlimited Liability(can be ordered to do something which can get you killed)
Resource Management Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Has given a vast knowledge of the HR world and transferable skill set to the civilian workforce, and great financial stability.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
long hours and movement on a moments notice
Work Hard, Play Hard
Armament Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2016
A very high stress environment where deadlines and workloads are constantly changing providing a challenging atmosphere. Time at home is cherished by both the members and the management by having month long exercises living in a tent or less but also having more time off than a typical job.

A truly unique experience
Pros
Great benefits and long vacations
Cons
Unknown hours and time away from home
Excelent place of employment
Watch Officer - Joint Operations Centre (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2016
I have learned a lot over my 30+year career, I would recommend the military to anyone. I have no regrets and I want to take my skills learned and pass it on to the local Workforce here in Edmonton.
Pros
Great healthcare plan and pension
Cons
shift work, lots of travelling
Adventure of a life time for a single person
SUPPLY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  CFB EsquimaltFebruary 11, 2016
This is a great way to create a story to tell later on in life, but should be only for single persons. CFB Edmonton is a great place to work, but the Navy is hard on the personal life.
Pros
Great pay and oppertunity to see the world
Cons
Zero sence of community as you are required to move at a moments notice
Not what you expect
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
If you love army stuff, its bittersweet.
A lot of the time you're sitting around. Hurry up and wait is the old saying and it's spot on.
When you're training the leadership always finds a way to make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Decent salary, quick promotions
Cons
Long hours, away from home a lot.
A workplace where you can appply your skills and knowlege to making a real difference.
Instructor and e-Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 29, 2016
Excellent job, great co-workers and skills that are transportable to my civilian occupation. Allows me to use my education and civilian background as a Reservist in the CAF.
Great job serving our country
Aviation Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONMay 25, 2016
I love my job. I enjoy serving the country while working as an aircraft mechanic. It is a fulfilling position that allows me daily opportunities to test my knowledge and skill level while working with a very dynamic group of individuals.
Great life experience
Combat engineer, 31 combat Engineer Regiment (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONFebruary 9, 2016
The Canadian Forces is like no other job you can learn from in the country. The training and experience has prepared me for life and other jobs a way nothing else can.

I have learned everything from survival skills to combat knowledge. How to detect and disarm mines. How to build a bridge or navigate at night. How to use radio communication to call air support and medical evacuation.

The people you work with in the Army are extremely hard working and dedicated people. They are extremely serious and strict but look out for their fellow soldiers.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of sleep one encounters while still having to perform duties such as route searching, urban combat, observation point.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you build with fellow members during your time in the forces.
Pros
Training and experience
Cons
long hours, very little sleep

4.3