Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Job security and an ever changing work environment
Ships Logistics Officer (Current Employee), Esquimalt BCOctober 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free transport when on duty, moving costs covered, full medical benefits, free uniform and reimbursement for items bought for duty purpose, 20 days plus vacation per year, great salaries, job stability
Cons: frequent geographical moves, long absences from family, dangerous life threatening working environment, stressful, austere working conditions
The Canadian Armed Forces is a good organization. It provides excellent benefit package for its employees including a multitude of social support services.
Good
Instructor/Overseas Deployment (Current Employee), Woodstock, NBOctober 11, 2014
Good place to work and earn experience.............................................................................................................................................................
Productive work place with lots of opportunity for learning
Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 9, 2014
Pros: travel, world and life experience
Cons: time away from family
A typical day starts with any faults or deficiencies which may require the attention of a technician. If there are no deficiencies we carry on with Plan Maintenance on each piece of equipment on our ship.
I entered the Navy as a Red Seal construction / Commercial electrician and have learned more Industrial electrical skills.
Management in the Armed – more... Forces is all about rank structure, information is passed up and down the ranks so that all individuals are informed on up coming and on going jobs.
As a Sailor your co-workers are more then just co-workers. You are a team who looks after one another, when you are at sea all you have is each other for any type of emergency.
The hardest part of the job would be long deployments, 3 or 4 and up to 8 months long.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie and the relationships you build. – less
Great job to push you to your limits, and farther.
39 Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee), Trail, BCOctober 8, 2014
Being a member of the Canadian Forces has been a very challenging, and rewarding experience for me.
Amazing experience
Canadian Forces (Former Employee), Oromocto, NBOctober 6, 2014
Pros: amazing community, great salary
Cons: no cons
learn to become a professional and reliable worker, became a leader of 60 person troop. learned about multiple military vehicles.
Excellent
Infantrymen (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 2, 2014
Pros: being able to be proud of what you do
Hardworking and lots of exercise
A large verity of Knowledge to be gained
Excellent Staff
Amazing Friends
Maintaining Constant Awareness with lack of sleep and food as well as dealing with Fatigue
Rewarding knowing I'm making Canada a better place
Best Experience
Combat Engineer (Military Service) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Best experience in one's life. It is what made me a man from a boy. There are a lot of teamwork for the job.
High tempo workplace.
Support Troop Sergeant Major (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits.
Cons: working away from home.
Coordinating all support requirements for the unit. Constantly working with and mentoring section heads in order to improve processes. The best part of the job was interacting with all the soldiers. The hardest part of the job was probably the ever changing priorities and ensuring we aligned our support in order to successfully achieve them.
A different line of work
Resource Management Support Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: career advancement, pay, benefits, support
Cons: moving, can be dangerous
Great career opportunity for anyone.
They will take you from zero to hero (literally) as they provide tons of training and extra curricular.
Not for everyone, but everyone should enjoy the experience.
Great career
Infantry Officer (Current Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
.Rewarding and challenging. For anyone looking for an adventure.
if I had to start my life again I will use the same road.
VEHICULE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: a lot of advantage
Cons: you have to like travel but some time leave friends behind :(
There is so many opportunities in the Canadian forces, I would refer anybody to sign in for a nice carrier.
My Jobs included, teaching cadets, managing supplies and dealing with administrative issues.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee), Richmond, BCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: the work was intrinsically rewarding.
Cons: was expected to dedicate a large amount of time outside of working hours.
My day at work depended on which position I was filling.

As an administrator, I was in charge of the files of 120 cadets. This included keeping track of their attendance, making sure that they were up to date with their expenses and handling the writing of memo's and alerts which required a specific format

As a supply officer, I was in charge of fitting – more... ordering and distributing uniforms as well as being in charge of all supplies outside of uniforms.

As a divisional officer, I was in charge of leading and teaching my cadets about naval tradition past and current as well as maintaining their well-being and handling any issues they bring up in and outside the unit.

I've learned a large amount of administrative skills, how to communicate and deal with youth; in summary, both qualitative and quantitative skills.

I was expected to take on management duties in regards to the youth that were in my division. This meant assigning them work, following up and doing performance reviews.

I worked very well with my co-workers and have learnt as a result of the military setting, how to work in a cooperative environment to a high level.

The hardest part of the job was making sure that everyone under me was receiving a good experience; this meant devoting a large amount of my time outside of work to the maintenance and well-being of my subordinates.

Seeing the results of my work through my cadets was the best part of work, knowing that they are thriving and are happy makes me happy. – less
Good meaningful job
Canadian Forces officer. (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: the pride and satisfaction of doing challenging and meaningful work.
Cons: work/life balance sometimes hard to achieve. some supervisors promoted too soon.
You are trained to a very high standard and get to do work in different countries which is both challenging, gratifying and meaningful.

Most members are very proud of their accomplishments in the CF and develop lifelong friendships with others who have served with them on these different missions and deployments, some of which involve a real element – more... of danger.

If you want to make a difference, join. Otherwise play it safe in your office cubicle. – less
An experience like no other
corporal (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2014
The work place was like having an extended family that were always there for each other through all facets of the job and environment. Sometimes it would be intense depending on certain tasks that needed to be fulfilled.However,it was comforting to know you were not alone and that everyone was also in the same circumstances.
We had each others back.
fast paced
infanteer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 3, 2014
always different, management is usually qualified beyond expectations and very professional
Fast paced, long hours. stressful environments
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee), Petawawa ONSeptember 2, 2014
Inspect, repair, overhaul, and modify all types of automotive equipment and related components. Train and supervise new members during their OJT.
Didn't suit me at all
Recruit (Former Employee), Saint-hubert, QCAugust 28, 2014
Pros: sense of cooperation
Cons: too much pressure (physical and mental)
I think I wasn't mentally ready for this, neither physically.
no life like it
Building Manger (Former Employee), Edmonton ABAugust 26, 2014
love my job but looking for a new change
Tell us about:
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Very strong racist beliefs within the higher ranks!
Serviceman (Former Employee), CFB EsquimaltAugust 23, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: it huge culture of racial profiling and racial discrimination.
Rapidly discrimination at it's fullest! I was born in Iran. Although I left Iran at a very young age, and have never returned, I was subjected to huge amount of racial profiling and discrimination.

The forces would not allow me to stay employed with them because they would not give me the necessary security clearance required for my position! The only – more... reason why they would not give me my security clearance was, because I have distant relatives who still live in Iran! It made no difference for them that I am a Canadian citizen, and I left Iran at a very young age, and have never returned back to that country! – less
loved the teamwork
Marine engineer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 21, 2014
Pros: travel and meeting new people
Cons: away from loved ones at a young age
A day included working with my peers and learning new things. Challenging myself and my skillset daily. Continually honing my trade and learning to work well as a team was fulfilling. The most difficult task was always the most fulfilling aspect of my job.

1 2 3 4 5

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more