Canadian Forces

Canadian Forces Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
very rewarding job with great potential
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee), Belleville, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: knowing i'm making a difference
Cons: at times stressfull
A typical day for me starts on (weekends) at 5am followed by 45 minute Physical fitness , after breakfast I have a full day of training and test /exams to study for,
high pace very demanding not much down time learn many new things in a fast amount of time
Combat Engineer (Former Employee), Gagetown, NBJanuary 6, 2015
Combat Engineers
Unit Operations Warrant Officer (Current Employee), Canadian Division Training Center WainwrightDecember 30, 2014
Engineers trained at Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering are trained through their Engineering
career, skills that progress from basic laborer to worksite supervisor. I am responsible for the planning,
support and supervision of Military and Domestic operations in accordance with all safety and environmental
directives regulated by the Federal and Provincial Government.
Great experience
Electrical Generator Systems Technician (Current Employee), Trenton OntDecember 29, 2014
It is a great place to learn and be exposed to many different situations. It is a well oiled machine as far as structure and management. The hardest part of the job is not being able to plant roots, as you are subject to short notice deployments and moves. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the new experiences almost everyday.
Enjoyed
ATIS Technician (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABDecember 10, 2014
Gave me the tools I needed to move forward, completed my contract. Personal values such as Family, relationship do not matter to the Military. they are important to me. I have to move on for my family and values and am pleased with my time served.

I am grateful of the training, and the experience. Personal circumstances dictate that I move closer to my daughter to maintain the relationship. The CAF continued to move me farther away without attempting to resolve the issue with me.
If you like working independence
Infantry soldier (04-13) , Fire Fighter (Present) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 8, 2014
Pros: gym, full kitchen to cook your own meals
Cons: it can be long days when theres no calls...but no calls means its a good day for everyone.
My typical day at work is everyone knows there task and perform them on your own.If i'm not sure about the given tasks my co-workers are always there to help me out.The hardest part of my job is when theres a medical call you never know whats the situation of the patient before you arrive.The most enjoyable part of the job is the gym when you feel like working out.
Co-Driver (Current Employee), London DetachmentDecember 7, 2014
Pros: great working enviroment
Cons: being away from home for extended days.
While working for the forces as a co-driver i learned how to be a team player and how to grow as a team. in the forces we learn that it is not a individuals job the only way to have a strong forces is to work together in all aspects. When on duty i would go in and sit in a briefing room to learn the task at hand for the day. then i would group up with my section and find out what everybody strengths are and work in that manner. the management was great because everybody new what needed to be done and it was clearly communicated. the hardest part of being in the forces is the being away from home from time to time for weekends. The best part of being a member of the forces is the brotherhood bond that is made its one big happy family.
Great enviroment to learn to work as a team player
Cadet Instructor Cadre Officer (Current Employee), Kingston, ONDecember 1, 2014
The skills learned in this environment are invaluable to all possible work place. As a Reserve Force Officer it allows to give back to the community and other employment opportunities.
Good work environment
Firefighter (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2014
Pros: camaraderie, sports, physical fitness promotion
Cons: moving every few years if you have a family
I have enjoyed my career in the Canadian Forces. I was fortunate to be employed as a reservist full time for over a decade. Due to recent cutbacks by the Federal Government, many reserve members of the Forces were scaled back to a part time status for half the year. This simply is not stable enough to live off of. Why not go into the Regular Force?. My wife has a very good career and it would not be fair for me to expect her to pack up every 3-4 years and search for another job in another area.
awesome
Combat Engineer Regiment (Former Employee), chilliwack bcNovember 30, 2014
great job, learning how to shoot guns, do demolition. really physically demanding.
traveling the world serving my country has been a great expirence
Navel Weapons Tech and Fire Control Tech (Current Employee), Halifax, NSNovember 19, 2014
Pros: seeing the world for free
Cons: 300+ days away from home most years
During my 11 years in the Canadian Forces I have been to 15 countries and over 100 cities in those countries. this has given me the ideal that Canada is the best place to live from the places I have been. It is time for me to move on, I am finding it harder to keep the same sailing schedule and see my children more. Having a fly in fly out job will allow me to spend more time with my kids.
Excellent
Armored Crewman (Former Employee), Gagetown New BrunswickNovember 14, 2014
Great career, great people and a great chance to make something out of yourself even with minimum education. Would recommend to anyone who wants a change of life and to see the world, as well as learn a trade on the governments payroll.
Basic Military Qualification
Basic Training (Former Employee), Gagetown, NBNovember 13, 2014
Pros: comradship
Cons: long hours
Fast paced, professional enviroment. I've acquired navigational skills, rifle handling, biological, chemical and nuclear defence, first aid knowledge, drill, and time management.
Overall a Great Experience
Armoured Crewmen (Current Employee), Petawawa, ONNovember 11, 2014
During my time with the CAF, I had the privilege of receiving some of the best training in the world.

I would recommend the experience to anybody seeking a challenge
Life experience
Private then Corporal (Former Employee), Sherbrooke, QCNovember 7, 2014
There is honestly no other place where you will make such memories, friends and learn about yourself
Productive and full of experiences that are enjoyable
Mechanic/Shop Supervisor (Current Employee), Comox, BCNovember 6, 2014
Pros: the ability to run my own section, benefits and pension
Cons: cost of living versus the salary
A typical day of work would start with 1 hour of physical exercise. After this we would move into working on vehicles, organizing workloads and ordering parts. The management above me was very observant and would take recommendations on how to improve work safety and how to decrease downtime of a vehicle. We would have weekly meetings to discuss all of these points and give updates. My co-workers were dedicated to getting the jobs completed in a safe and timely manner. The hardest part of the job was being deployed to the field and waiting on parts to arrive but this was usually the funnest time as you did other things to allow an individual grow into a leader.
Mechanic
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee), Victoria BCNovember 4, 2014
I was a mechanic, and learned many skills I still use to this day, working on motorcycles, and vehicles of all types.
It is, what it is.
Corporal - Tank Crewman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2014
Pros: paid time off in the summer and winter
Cons: away from home
Most of the people you work with are like family. Unfortunately the pay isn't great for your commitment to training and the field. Family life was great when home, but I was away for most of the year on training.
A great environment to learn and grow, as a job with the Canadian Forces will test every aspect of one's character.
Combat engineer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 27, 2014
Pros: fun environment.
Cons: freedom is especially limited, one has no say in their schedule regarding vacation days or even weekends.
My job as a Combat Engineer has been a great experience as I have learned many skills. The army is a great to refine one's work ethic as the pressures and challenges in this environment are increased during operations. I have learned a lot and recommend a job with the army to anyone wishing to grow in the areas of patience, accountability and integrity. The Army reaffirms a sense of duty in one's self.
A competitive and often stressful workplace
Combat Engineer, Canadian Forces Bases (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: good annual vacation time and great benefits..
Cons: long hours - up to forty-eight hours without sleep on occasion.
The Edmonton Journal said the Royal Canadian Combat Engineers have the most dangerous job in the CF. It is because of all the carnage that I witnessed over the past twenty years that I decided to go into environment, health and safety to make a change in the World. I have always been self-motivated and am constantly upgrading myself.

1 2 3 4 5

About Canadian Forces

The Canadian Forces, officially the Canadian Armed Forces, is the unified armed force of Canada, as constituted by the National – Read more