Canadian Forces Employee Reviews in Canada

Demanding yet proportionally rewarding workplace environment.
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ONJune 28, 2016
- A typical day involved morning physical training, followed by other training or garrison duties and usually involved normal working hours.
- The most important thing I learned was the ability to bring a group of individuals to work as a team, sometimes in very demanding circumstances.
-The hardest part of the job were the long periods away from home on training or deployments.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning and self improvement.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Long periods away from home
Life Changing
Private (Former Employee) –  Farnham, QCJune 28, 2016
Hard work but really helps build your leadership skills and offers a life changing experience. I was there about 20 years ago in Quebec.
Enjoyed sailing and being on the water
Sonar Operator I (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 17, 2016
There is no job like it. you get to travel the world and experience unique and fun challenges in an ever changing environment . The leadership I have gained through my experiences has been life changing
Focused on discipline, skill, fitness, and ability to work as a team.
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
The Canadian Armed forces presents many opportunities, though some challenging, that not only teach me skills as a soldier- but also instill discipline and teamwork skills as well as occasional leadership positions.
Pros
Physical and mental fitness, discipline, leadership opportunity.
Cons
Long hours.
Good experince
Crewmen (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON, Gagetown,NBJune 12, 2016
Very good experince working with the Department of National Defense. i had many experinces working with other cultures and working in any weather conditions.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Lack of career progression
Unique Experience
Regular Force Air Force Avionics System Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ONJune 9, 2016
You will not experience anything quite like the Canadian Military. I was an Avionics Systems Technician and an Infantryman. Both were completely opposite careers. Both were fantastic opportunities.
Perserverance through hard work
Combat Engineer, Reserves (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 7, 2016
The military offers every chance for each individual to succeed at any given task, through mental and physical instruction, and hard work.
Discipline is everything.
Reservist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 5, 2016
The ability to follow commands and work hard is the most important thing being a reservist. The high stress environment builds your ability to handle such situations as well as prepares you for drastic events. I learned to always obey and submit to your higher authority as well as do your very best at your job. Working as a team is much more important and reliable than trying to do everything on your own. The hardest part of this job I would have to say was the sleep deprevation.
Driven environment balanced with great sense of comradery
Logistics - Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 2, 2016
To keep it short and simple, there are many different trades and job opportunities with the RCN.

There is no typical day as there are many different organized events or duties that need to be performed.
You many go from sailing the Vancouver Islands 1 week to being on a shooting range practicing your marksmanship the following week.

Military is an environment where everyone gets along quite well and help one another in any way possible.
Pros
Meeting people from all around Canada
Cons
Lack of funding from government, less chance for advancement
A challenging career but rewarding
Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  Petawawa ON, Lahr, Germany, Shilo MB & Regina SKMay 30, 2016
took me from a civilian to a trained soldier;
structured environment with every day knowing what you were doing;
advancement and promotions available through the passing of the appropriate courses and training;
esprit d' corps with the soldiers you served with and everyone always got along as we spent so much time together;
being away for courses, deployments and training 2/3's of the year, thus being away from your family thus affecting work/life balance;
serving Canada and it citizens and interests be they in Canada or abroad;
The Canadian Forces was a great career and taught me confidence, hard work ethic and leadership
Pros
Free food while deployed, extra money while deployed and many days off after training or deployment
Cons
long hours, working in all weather conditions, lots of time away from home
team player
Aviation Technician (Current Employee) –  Gagetown, NBMay 29, 2016
The military is like a second family. People are very friendly. We work as a team helping each other. You learn how to fix aircrafts .
Great job serving our country
Aviation Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ONMay 25, 2016
I love my job. I enjoy serving the country while working as an aircraft mechanic. It is a fulfilling position that allows me daily opportunities to test my knowledge and skill level while working with a very dynamic group of individuals.
Not what you expect
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
If you love army stuff, its bittersweet.
A lot of the time you're sitting around. Hurry up and wait is the old saying and it's spot on.
When you're training the leadership always finds a way to make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Decent salary, quick promotions
Cons
Long hours, away from home a lot.
Amazing Opportunity
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 19, 2016
This is a great career with a wide array of job opportunity and a chance to get a great education. The work is tough, with a high probability of a lack of sleep. You are fed and housed for the duration of your contract and are often provided transportation.

There are many different people from all walks of life and learning can potentially never end. Training and advancement are set out for your entire career.

University is paid for with the requirement of time in service.
College is reimbursed up to a low amount and only in fields that is listed by them.

Hard work, but you earn a family.
Pros
The sky is the limit.
Cons
Pay scale is set by the govn't with no bonuses. Not an easy job, most of the time.
A soldier's life...
Soldier (rank - Master Corporal) (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my service to Canada, to review a 'company' such as the Canadian military is not possible in such a format as this.
edmonton
Telecommunications Technician (lineman) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 9, 2016
i work for the canadian forces for 9 years it was alright i guess i'm really just filling this in because i have too apparently
CAF is one of the best companies to work at
Private (Current Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCMay 9, 2016
I learned how to maintain a healthy, and a consistent lifestyle , as well as the importance of my chain of command. Further more, they also give an excellent options in terms of job security and such.
Pros
Healthy lifestlyle
Cons
Productive work place with everyday being different then the day before.
Artillery Soldier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Great place to work, family like atmosphere. Everyday is a new day to learn something new about the military or the trade you have been placed in.
Did not use civilian edducation
MECHANIC/WELDER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 30, 2016
Unless the army taught you, you were not doing it right. They should be open to civilian training. I found it frustrating to be trained by people that knew nothing about the trade.
Pros
Good peer group
Cons
frustrating
A workplace where you can appply your skills and knowlege to making a real difference.
Instructor and e-Learning Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Borden, ONApril 29, 2016
Excellent job, great co-workers and skills that are transportable to my civilian occupation. Allows me to use my education and civilian background as a Reservist in the CAF.

4.3