CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
The work was boring as most government job but there was alot of politic involved and many other stuff that made the work at this place horrible and nightmare
Pros
well paid
Cons
Culture suck
Excellent place to work!
Front Reception and Administrative Support (CR-04) (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE1 February 2017
Wonderful and cooperative staff. Training provided. Accessible supervisors and Managers. Interesting work. Great working hours. Ability to grow and learn from within the organization.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Cons
Uncertainty of work terms and staff placements.
Just started
01 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON27 February 2017
I unfortunately don't have a review as I have just today started looking at this company but so far so good. Im hoping to find something part time in the evenings so that I can earn some extra money to take my grandson to Disneyland.
Great for benefits and security
Administrative Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2017
Mostly in front of the computer to do data entry, translations, emails, schedule meetings and organise conferences. I learned how to work with different types of people.
Perfect Company
EDW/ETL Architect (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2016
This is a perfect place to work with, and I have learned a lot, not just technology, but also communication, coordination, experience to handle different people and different job and different area of EDW, ETL, Data Mapping, Data Stage and IIS,and so on.

Different projects are also resources for learning, not just for job and work, but also life.
Legally not permitted to provide
General (Current Employee) –  Not permitted27 June 2016
Public Service Employment Contracts do not legally permit the divulging of information which may be construed as a criticism of the employer or work environment.

Enough said?
The various committees had everyone involved all aspects of the organization.
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ont16 October 2015
Pleasant and friendly place to work. It had many aspects whereby one could improve on knowledge and experience.

Management worked closely with the rest of the staff.

Courses and workshops were presented from time to time which made for a well rounded individual.

Duties consisted of work with both the public and private industry.
There was just enough variety in the job that one did not find it to be tedious.
Pros
One could be able to learn about several different types of food and food products.
Cons
The work pace at certain time of the year, eg., Christmas, Easter
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2014
I enjoyed all aspects of my Career at the CFIA
Learned different programs based on the job requirements
Management was very co-operative
My co-workers helped me as a team
The hardest part of my job is we did not have a supervisor
on my shift I had to make decision on my own and we
were always short-staffed which I had to handle another
staff responsibility
I enjoyed working in a fast pace industry and it was very
challenging.
An exciting and happening place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2015
This government agency is a busy but really energized and positive work environment dedicated to the food and safety of the people of Canada and beyond. Working closely with Ottawa's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, they provide all the necessary inspection and safety regulations in our country. Imports and exports are also a big part of this Agency. The hardest part of the job was handling calls where, in the case of the Toronto office, many foreign language speaking people would call. That was a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork environment and seeing a project through to a positive end.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Distance to and from work.
Challenging environment.
Food inspector (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia , New Brunswick and PEI10 July 2012
Typical day consists of convincing people to do things that they don't want to do, but they must do in the interest of food safety.
We have to enforce regulations concerning humane transport and handling of food animals as well as the production of food products.

Good job, good career.
Ready for a change.
Pros
salary, security.
Cons
stress of dealing with difficult people.
Overall great people to work with on a daily basis
Federal Inspector - EG03 (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2016
There seemed to be a disconnect between front line inspectors and regional supervisors. I did love the diversity of the day to day inspections.
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.
Meat Hygiene Inspector (Former Employee) –  Salmona Arm, BC27 October 2013
The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.
Pros
Benefits ad pension package
Cons
Too much overtime
Unending learning job opportunity and continuous involvement with different cultures and people
Government Inspector (Current Employee) –  High River, Alberta18 April 2012
A strenuous and repetitive work requiring good physical state. I learn new things everyday about the Plant we audit and what we regulate on the establishment. Dealings with more than 2000 individuals may it be with management or the establishment's employees.•As Inspectors,"We are proud of the contributions we make to the quality of life of Canadians. We value dedication and responsiveness from all employees day to day and, particularly, during an emergency."

•Through a strong framework of program, inspection and laboratory expertise we test for, and certify freedom from, for export purposes, animal and plant pathogens present in Canada. If required for export purposes, we also do so for animal and plant pathogens which are not present in Canada.
Pros
there are lots of room for improvement, discovering my effectivity
Cons
long drive
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 May 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same.
Games
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2013
SDS-PAGE (LPS); Western blotting (immunoblotting); silver and Coomassie blue stain; gel drying; cationic and urea PAGE;

Extraction of bacterial genomic DNA and plasmid DNA; restriction enzyme analysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; Southern blotting; preparation of hybridization probes; nick translation; autoradiography; ribotyping; transformation; PCR; operation of UV spectrophotometer.

ELIFA (Enzyme Linked Immunofiltration Assay)
ELISA for diagnosis of Epizootic Haemorrhage Disease virus (EHD 1 & 2) Bluetongue; Pseudo-rabies and Vascular Stomatitis virus (New Jersey & Indiana) infection. Identification of campylobacter
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
nil
Great staff and environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2016
The staff there are very kind and great to along with. Great working atmosphere and things get done there and people are willing to help if you have a problem. The job requires good computer skills, doing paperwork, and data entry. If you can read English and you are good at computers then you will enjoy this job.
Pros
good pay and great overall staff
Cons
early morning work
Plum Pox Survey
Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 March 2016
 Surveyed farms for possible plum pox infections.
 Identified peach trees infected with plum pox infections, collected leaf samples and sent samples to lab for further analysis.
 Drew layout maps of sample locations for future reference.
 Educated and informed farmers about importance of plum pox monitoring program.
Very Productive and Every day is a New day @ CFIA
lead, as an IM data modeler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2015
It's one of the best places I ever worked at with wonderful people.
I learned a lot and progressed so much in my career at this place.
Work sites very political
Meat Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, AB.3 October 2012
Work day normally started @ 06:00 hrs and ended @ 14:00 hrs.
Instructed High Line Speed Certification course
Instructed Compliance Verification Course
Equipment and Building Approvals
Supervised 40 inspectors
Communicating with certain managers could be difficult at times
Being part of the solution to a concern or problem was most enjoyable
Pros
interesting work load
Cons
work site politics
Good work enviroment
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 June 2014
I would like to tell you about my position as a Developmental Food Inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To ensure food safety, the Agency utilizes the CVS Program (Compliance Verification System) which involves aspects of Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement. As a Food Inspector for over thirteen years, I had the opportunity to maximize my skills involving: CVS management/leadership, Communication, CVS organization, Research, Quality Assurance, Sample Testing and processing, Auditing computer/hard file data records, CVS program development and CVS training experience. I was also involved as PSAC Union Vice President Local 55 and Health and Safety representative.
I have also received Vocational Training as a Shop Stewart which involved organizing, managing of the Tool Shop, and the distribution, auditing of tools and equipment. As the Shop Stewart I also became familiar with operating construction power tools and hand tools. While managing as Shop Stewart I also carried out duties as Health and Safety representative. Ensuring construction crews followed Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, carried out daily Safety Checks within onsite construction project
Pros
interesting work and good salery
Cons
repetative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4