CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews in Canada

The various committees had everyone involved all aspects of the organization.
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntOctober 16, 2015
Pleasant and friendly place to work. It had many aspects whereby one could improve on knowledge and experience.

Management worked closely with the rest of the staff.

Courses and workshops were presented from time to time which made for a well rounded individual.

Duties consisted of work with both the public and private industry.
There was just enough variety in the job that one did not find it to be tedious.
Pros
One could be able to learn about several different types of food and food products.
Cons
The work pace at certain time of the year, eg., Christmas, Easter
An exciting and happening place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2015
This government agency is a busy but really energized and positive work environment dedicated to the food and safety of the people of Canada and beyond. Working closely with Ottawa's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, they provide all the necessary inspection and safety regulations in our country. Imports and exports are also a big part of this Agency. The hardest part of the job was handling calls where, in the case of the Toronto office, many foreign language speaking people would call. That was a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork environment and seeing a project through to a positive end.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Distance to and from work.
Great staff and environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 19, 2016
The staff there are very kind and great to along with. Great working atmosphere and things get done there and people are willing to help if you have a problem. The job requires good computer skills, doing paperwork, and data entry. If you can read English and you are good at computers then you will enjoy this job.
Pros
good pay and great overall staff
Cons
early morning work
Plum Pox Survey
Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 3, 2016
 Surveyed farms for possible plum pox infections.
 Identified peach trees infected with plum pox infections, collected leaf samples and sent samples to lab for further analysis.
 Drew layout maps of sample locations for future reference.
 Educated and informed farmers about importance of plum pox monitoring program.
Overall great people to work with on a daily basis
Federal Inspector - EG03 (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 3, 2016
There seemed to be a disconnect between front line inspectors and regional supervisors. I did love the diversity of the day to day inspections.
Very Productive and Every day is a New day @ CFIA
lead, as an IM data modeler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
It's one of the best places I ever worked at with wonderful people.
I learned a lot and progressed so much in my career at this place.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 4, 2014
I enjoyed all aspects of my Career at the CFIA
Learned different programs based on the job requirements
Management was very co-operative
My co-workers helped me as a team
The hardest part of my job is we did not have a supervisor
on my shift I had to make decision on my own and we
were always short-staffed which I had to handle another
staff responsibility
I enjoyed working in a fast pace industry and it was very
challenging.
Challenging environment.
Food inspector (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia , New Brunswick and PEIJuly 10, 2012
Typical day consists of convincing people to do things that they don't want to do, but they must do in the interest of food safety.
We have to enforce regulations concerning humane transport and handling of food animals as well as the production of food products.

Good job, good career.
Ready for a change.
Pros
salary, security.
Cons
stress of dealing with difficult people.
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.
Meat Hygiene Inspector (Former Employee) –  Salmona Arm, BCOctober 27, 2013
The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.
Pros
benefits ad pension package
Cons
too much overtime
Unending learning job opportunity and continuous involvement with different cultures and people
Government Inspector (Current Employee) –  High River, AlbertaApril 18, 2012
A strenuous and repetitive work requiring good physical state. I learn new things everyday about the Plant we audit and what we regulate on the establishment. Dealings with more than 2000 individuals may it be with management or the establishment's employees.•As Inspectors,"We are proud of the contributions we make to the quality of life of Canadians. We value dedication and responsiveness from all employees day to day and, particularly, during an emergency."

•Through a strong framework of program, inspection and laboratory expertise we test for, and certify freedom from, for export purposes, animal and plant pathogens present in Canada. If required for export purposes, we also do so for animal and plant pathogens which are not present in Canada.
Pros
there are lots of room for improvement, discovering my effectivity
Cons
long drive
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 24, 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same.
Games
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2013
SDS-PAGE (LPS); Western blotting (immunoblotting); silver and Coomassie blue stain; gel drying; cationic and urea PAGE;

Extraction of bacterial genomic DNA and plasmid DNA; restriction enzyme analysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; Southern blotting; preparation of hybridization probes; nick translation; autoradiography; ribotyping; transformation; PCR; operation of UV spectrophotometer.

ELIFA (Enzyme Linked Immunofiltration Assay)
ELISA for diagnosis of Epizootic Haemorrhage Disease virus (EHD 1 & 2) Bluetongue; Pseudo-rabies and Vascular Stomatitis virus (New Jersey & Indiana) infection. Identification of campylobacter
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
nil
Good work enviroment
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBJune 5, 2014
I would like to tell you about my position as a Developmental Food Inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To ensure food safety, the Agency utilizes the CVS Program (Compliance Verification System) which involves aspects of Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement. As a Food Inspector for over thirteen years, I had the opportunity to maximize my skills involving: CVS management/leadership, Communication, CVS organization, Research, Quality Assurance, Sample Testing and processing, Auditing computer/hard file data records, CVS program development and CVS training experience. I was also involved as PSAC Union Vice President Local 55 and Health and Safety representative.
I have also received Vocational Training as a Shop Stewart which involved organizing, managing of the Tool Shop, and the distribution, auditing of tools and equipment. As the Shop Stewart I also became familiar with operating construction power tools and hand tools. While managing as Shop Stewart I also carried out duties as Health and Safety representative. Ensuring construction crews followed Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, carried out daily Safety Checks within onsite construction project
Pros
interesting work and good salery
Cons
repetative
Work sites very political
Meat Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, AB.October 3, 2012
Work day normally started @ 06:00 hrs and ended @ 14:00 hrs.
Instructed High Line Speed Certification course
Instructed Compliance Verification Course
Equipment and Building Approvals
Supervised 40 inspectors
Communicating with certain managers could be difficult at times
Being part of the solution to a concern or problem was most enjoyable
Pros
interesting work load
Cons
work site politics
very good
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBJuly 27, 2014
 Inspection of Plant Facility and Equipment/Pre-Operational Inspections.
 Auditing Plant Computer Data Records and hard files.
 Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement of Plant Manual of Procedures.
 Acts and Regulations – Managing/ enforcement/ implementation, between CFIA and Plant Staff with regards to food safety.
 Enforcing Shipping and Labeling Regulations.
 Working in a Team Environment with CFIA staff, Laboratory technicians, Plant Quality Assurance and with Plant Supervisors.
 Online Inspections – Pathology detection/disposition.
 Ante-mortem/ Post-mortem Inspections - Pathology detection
 Sample Testing and processing/ Antibiotics/Trichina/E-Coli.
Pros
variety of training
Cons
fixed plant work
Student - shellfish sampling technician
Shellfish Sampling Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEMay 19, 2014
typical day would start off by planning our day / rest of the week. Then taking the government truck, pick up the boat, and collecting samples from specific locations.
Pros
good hours and management
Cons
only a student position
To enjoy and maintaine a positive outlook to my days work!!!
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSAugust 30, 2013
A typical day was to prepare your area of patrol and to enforce the acts and regulations of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Interact with the lumber industry, forestry industry and other levels of government to educate and enforce the program and ensure they were following the laws of the Agency.

I've learn so much about the Forestry and the Lumber Industry and the problem they face everyday to maintain business.

Very much enjoyed working with a great Team of dedicated workers.

The hardest part of the job was working on surveys in the woods during bug season.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the drive into wilderness country and enjoy the wildlife and scenery .
Pros
hours of work was great.
Cons
unit i worked in is being closed.
Government
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 28, 2014
Political agendas made working here difficult. Management would often show favouritism. Constant changes to the business model announced, but no details given to employees, leading to much speculation and insecurity.
Great place to gain IT experience
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  OttawaJuly 11, 2012
I'm a technician, so I install and configure software, troubleshoot hardware issues, deploy desktops and laptops, deploy Blackberry devices, administer user accounts through active directory, and prepare new computers to agency standards.

I've learned a lot while at CFIA. I've honed my skills as a technician, and I've learned several new aspects of IT support that I previously had no experience with. That it that most rewarding part of my job; my manager is very supportive of me trying new tasks. I have many co-workers around me that also support me when needed; I never hesistate to ask them questions. We all work great as a team.
Pros
experience, learned alot
Cons
very low pay
Lots of technology
Master Degree student and Summer student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2014
I love to have easy access tothe newest and finest technology.
People are smart and I loveto be surrounded by different skilled sciences people.
I love my supervisor and the workplace is awesome

4.5