CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

Legally not permitted to provide
General (Current Employee) –  Not permitted27 June 2016
Public Service Employment Contracts do not legally permit the divulging of information which may be construed as a criticism of the employer or work environment.

Enough said?
Great staff and environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2016
The staff there are very kind and great to along with. Great working atmosphere and things get done there and people are willing to help if you have a problem. The job requires good computer skills, doing paperwork, and data entry. If you can read English and you are good at computers then you will enjoy this job.
Pros
good pay and great overall staff
Cons
early morning work
Plum Pox Survey
Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 March 2016
 Surveyed farms for possible plum pox infections.
 Identified peach trees infected with plum pox infections, collected leaf samples and sent samples to lab for further analysis.
 Drew layout maps of sample locations for future reference.
 Educated and informed farmers about importance of plum pox monitoring program.
Overall great people to work with on a daily basis
Federal Inspector - EG03 (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2016
There seemed to be a disconnect between front line inspectors and regional supervisors. I did love the diversity of the day to day inspections.
The various committees had everyone involved all aspects of the organization.
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ont16 October 2015
Pleasant and friendly place to work. It had many aspects whereby one could improve on knowledge and experience.

Management worked closely with the rest of the staff.

Courses and workshops were presented from time to time which made for a well rounded individual.

Duties consisted of work with both the public and private industry.
There was just enough variety in the job that one did not find it to be tedious.
Pros
One could be able to learn about several different types of food and food products.
Cons
The work pace at certain time of the year, eg., Christmas, Easter
An exciting and happening place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2015
This government agency is a busy but really energized and positive work environment dedicated to the food and safety of the people of Canada and beyond. Working closely with Ottawa's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, they provide all the necessary inspection and safety regulations in our country. Imports and exports are also a big part of this Agency. The hardest part of the job was handling calls where, in the case of the Toronto office, many foreign language speaking people would call. That was a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork environment and seeing a project through to a positive end.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Distance to and from work.
Very Productive and Every day is a New day @ CFIA
lead, as an IM data modeler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2015
It's one of the best places I ever worked at with wonderful people.
I learned a lot and progressed so much in my career at this place.
very good
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 July 2014
 Inspection of Plant Facility and Equipment/Pre-Operational Inspections.
 Auditing Plant Computer Data Records and hard files.
 Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement of Plant Manual of Procedures.
 Acts and Regulations – Managing/ enforcement/ implementation, between CFIA and Plant Staff with regards to food safety.
 Enforcing Shipping and Labeling Regulations.
 Working in a Team Environment with CFIA staff, Laboratory technicians, Plant Quality Assurance and with Plant Supervisors.
 Online Inspections – Pathology detection/disposition.
 Ante-mortem/ Post-mortem Inspections - Pathology detection
 Sample Testing and processing/ Antibiotics/Trichina/E-Coli.
Pros
variety of training
Cons
fixed plant work
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2014
I enjoyed all aspects of my Career at the CFIA
Learned different programs based on the job requirements
Management was very co-operative
My co-workers helped me as a team
The hardest part of my job is we did not have a supervisor
on my shift I had to make decision on my own and we
were always short-staffed which I had to handle another
staff responsibility
I enjoyed working in a fast pace industry and it was very
challenging.
Great place to gain IT experience
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa11 July 2012
I'm a technician, so I install and configure software, troubleshoot hardware issues, deploy desktops and laptops, deploy Blackberry devices, administer user accounts through active directory, and prepare new computers to agency standards.

I've learned a lot while at CFIA. I've honed my skills as a technician, and I've learned several new aspects of IT support that I previously had no experience with. That it that most rewarding part of my job; my manager is very supportive of me trying new tasks. I have many co-workers around me that also support me when needed; I never hesistate to ask them questions. We all work great as a team.
Pros
experience, learned alot
Cons
very low pay
Games
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 March 2013
SDS-PAGE (LPS); Western blotting (immunoblotting); silver and Coomassie blue stain; gel drying; cationic and urea PAGE;

Extraction of bacterial genomic DNA and plasmid DNA; restriction enzyme analysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; Southern blotting; preparation of hybridization probes; nick translation; autoradiography; ribotyping; transformation; PCR; operation of UV spectrophotometer.

ELIFA (Enzyme Linked Immunofiltration Assay)
ELISA for diagnosis of Epizootic Haemorrhage Disease virus (EHD 1 & 2) Bluetongue; Pseudo-rabies and Vascular Stomatitis virus (New Jersey & Indiana) infection. Identification of campylobacter
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
nil
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 May 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same.
Excellent learning Work place
Supervisor of Import Operations (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 October 2013
I had the opportunity to develop an in-depth knowledge about imports and export regulations.
Working in this government agency, I perfected the required qualifications-leadership, judgment, work organization- to be an excellent manager. I consider managing people the most challenging and fulfilling tasks of all, and I am glad I have had the opportunity to excel in this domaine.
Work sites very political
Meat Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, AB.3 October 2012
Work day normally started @ 06:00 hrs and ended @ 14:00 hrs.
Instructed High Line Speed Certification course
Instructed Compliance Verification Course
Equipment and Building Approvals
Supervised 40 inspectors
Communicating with certain managers could be difficult at times
Being part of the solution to a concern or problem was most enjoyable
Pros
interesting work load
Cons
work site politics
Amazing work environment with a wonderful team.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario29 August 2012
I learned so much working for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Including but not limited to managing a large budget, arranging all aspects of travel including interpreters, hosting hospitality events, obtaining visa and all necessary travel documents. I also had the opportunity to meet and work with many wonderful people which made work very enjoyable.
To enjoy and maintaine a positive outlook to my days work!!!
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 August 2013
A typical day was to prepare your area of patrol and to enforce the acts and regulations of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Interact with the lumber industry, forestry industry and other levels of government to educate and enforce the program and ensure they were following the laws of the Agency.

I've learn so much about the Forestry and the Lumber Industry and the problem they face everyday to maintain business.

Very much enjoyed working with a great Team of dedicated workers.

The hardest part of the job was working on surveys in the woods during bug season.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the drive into wilderness country and enjoy the wildlife and scenery .
Pros
Hours of work was great.
Cons
Unit I worked in is being closed.
Great experience with friendly coworkers
Financial Analyst (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 June 2012
Completed tasks given to me by my manager. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel to analyze financial data. The managers and directors I worked for were friendly and understanding while providing me with challenging tasks to complete. I was difficult to acquire all the training due to my position being only summer employment.
Challenging environment.
Food inspector (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia , New Brunswick and PEI10 July 2012
Typical day consists of convincing people to do things that they don't want to do, but they must do in the interest of food safety.
We have to enforce regulations concerning humane transport and handling of food animals as well as the production of food products.

Good job, good career.
Ready for a change.
Pros
salary, security.
Cons
stress of dealing with difficult people.
The people and company were great, it was a term employment
Administrative Assistant CR-04 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 April 2013
I provided Administrative support to the Special Pathogens Unit, that included everything from obtaining and keeping track of Grants, Travel, Communication, organizing and maintaining purchase orders.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Unending learning job opportunity and continuous involvement with different cultures and people
Government Inspector (Current Employee) –  High River, Alberta18 April 2012
A strenuous and repetitive work requiring good physical state. I learn new things everyday about the Plant we audit and what we regulate on the establishment. Dealings with more than 2000 individuals may it be with management or the establishment's employees.•As Inspectors,"We are proud of the contributions we make to the quality of life of Canadians. We value dedication and responsiveness from all employees day to day and, particularly, during an emergency."

•Through a strong framework of program, inspection and laboratory expertise we test for, and certify freedom from, for export purposes, animal and plant pathogens present in Canada. If required for export purposes, we also do so for animal and plant pathogens which are not present in Canada.
Pros
there are lots of room for improvement, discovering my effectivity
Cons
long drive

4.4