CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

Evolving processes
Slaughter/ Animal programs, Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 June 2017
variety of work and locations, lateral moves or opportunity for moving up.
Structured management and organizational charts, diversity in the workforce
Pros
pension
Cons
Several weeks spent away on training
very interesting things to deal with, great staff
Clerk 02 (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency due to the great co-workers and the different departments I had to deal with. I leaned a lot of interesting things and was trained for different computer programs. I dealt with the plant lab, biologists, chemists and food inspection. I assisted with proofreading Standard Operating Procedure Manuals.
Pros
variety of jobs
Cons
being on a contract and not knowing if funding would be available for following year
Just started
01 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON27 February 2017
I unfortunately don't have a review as I have just today started looking at this company but so far so good. Im hoping to find something part time in the evenings so that I can earn some extra money to take my grandson to Disneyland.
Excellent place to work!
Front Reception and Administrative Support (CR-04) (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE1 February 2017
Wonderful and cooperative staff. Training provided. Accessible supervisors and Managers. Interesting work. Great working hours. Ability to grow and learn from within the organization.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Cons
Uncertainty of work terms and staff placements.
Great for benefits and security
Administrative Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2017
Mostly in front of the computer to do data entry, translations, emails, schedule meetings and organise conferences. I learned how to work with different types of people.
work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
The work was boring as most government job but there was alot of politic involved and many other stuff that made the work at this place horrible and nightmare
Pros
well paid
Cons
Culture suck
Legally not permitted to provide
General (Current Employee) –  Not permitted27 June 2016
Public Service Employment Contracts do not legally permit the divulging of information which may be construed as a criticism of the employer or work environment.

Enough said?
Perfect Company
EDW/ETL Architect (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2016
This is a perfect place to work with, and I have learned a lot, not just technology, but also communication, coordination, experience to handle different people and different job and different area of EDW, ETL, Data Mapping, Data Stage and IIS,and so on.

Different projects are also resources for learning, not just for job and work, but also life.
Overall great people to work with on a daily basis
Federal Inspector - EG03 (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 May 2016
There seemed to be a disconnect between front line inspectors and regional supervisors. I did love the diversity of the day to day inspections.
Plum Pox Survey
Inspector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 March 2016
 Surveyed farms for possible plum pox infections.
 Identified peach trees infected with plum pox infections, collected leaf samples and sent samples to lab for further analysis.
 Drew layout maps of sample locations for future reference.
 Educated and informed farmers about importance of plum pox monitoring program.
Great staff and environment
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2016
The staff there are very kind and great to along with. Great working atmosphere and things get done there and people are willing to help if you have a problem. The job requires good computer skills, doing paperwork, and data entry. If you can read English and you are good at computers then you will enjoy this job.
Pros
good pay and great overall staff
Cons
early morning work
The various committees had everyone involved all aspects of the organization.
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ont16 October 2015
Pleasant and friendly place to work. It had many aspects whereby one could improve on knowledge and experience.

Management worked closely with the rest of the staff.

Courses and workshops were presented from time to time which made for a well rounded individual.

Duties consisted of work with both the public and private industry.
There was just enough variety in the job that one did not find it to be tedious.
Pros
One could be able to learn about several different types of food and food products.
Cons
The work pace at certain time of the year, eg., Christmas, Easter
Very Productive and Every day is a New day @ CFIA
lead, as an IM data modeler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2015
It's one of the best places I ever worked at with wonderful people.
I learned a lot and progressed so much in my career at this place.
An exciting and happening place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2015
This government agency is a busy but really energized and positive work environment dedicated to the food and safety of the people of Canada and beyond. Working closely with Ottawa's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, they provide all the necessary inspection and safety regulations in our country. Imports and exports are also a big part of this Agency. The hardest part of the job was handling calls where, in the case of the Toronto office, many foreign language speaking people would call. That was a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork environment and seeing a project through to a positive end.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Distance to and from work.
Lots of technology
Master Degree student and Summer student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 November 2014
I love to have easy access tothe newest and finest technology.
People are smart and I loveto be surrounded by different skilled sciences people.
I love my supervisor and the workplace is awesome
very good
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 July 2014
 Inspection of Plant Facility and Equipment/Pre-Operational Inspections.
 Auditing Plant Computer Data Records and hard files.
 Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement of Plant Manual of Procedures.
 Acts and Regulations – Managing/ enforcement/ implementation, between CFIA and Plant Staff with regards to food safety.
 Enforcing Shipping and Labeling Regulations.
 Working in a Team Environment with CFIA staff, Laboratory technicians, Plant Quality Assurance and with Plant Supervisors.
 Online Inspections – Pathology detection/disposition.
 Ante-mortem/ Post-mortem Inspections - Pathology detection
 Sample Testing and processing/ Antibiotics/Trichina/E-Coli.
Pros
variety of training
Cons
fixed plant work
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  dartmouth11 June 2014
Best job I ever had but I was a intern for 6 months. Testing all foods before they go to groceries stores
Pros
pay and staff
Good work enviroment
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB5 June 2014
I would like to tell you about my position as a Developmental Food Inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To ensure food safety, the Agency utilizes the CVS Program (Compliance Verification System) which involves aspects of Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement. As a Food Inspector for over thirteen years, I had the opportunity to maximize my skills involving: CVS management/leadership, Communication, CVS organization, Research, Quality Assurance, Sample Testing and processing, Auditing computer/hard file data records, CVS program development and CVS training experience. I was also involved as PSAC Union Vice President Local 55 and Health and Safety representative.
I have also received Vocational Training as a Shop Stewart which involved organizing, managing of the Tool Shop, and the distribution, auditing of tools and equipment. As the Shop Stewart I also became familiar with operating construction power tools and hand tools. While managing as Shop Stewart I also carried out duties as Health and Safety representative. Ensuring construction crews followed Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, carried out daily Safety Checks within onsite construction project
Pros
interesting work and good salery
Cons
repetative
Government
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 May 2014
Political agendas made working here difficult. Management would often show favouritism. Constant changes to the business model announced, but no details given to employees, leading to much speculation and insecurity.
Student - shellfish sampling technician
Shellfish Sampling Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE19 May 2014
typical day would start off by planning our day / rest of the week. Then taking the government truck, pick up the boat, and collecting samples from specific locations.
Pros
good hours and management
Cons
Only a student position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3