CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY

CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
N/a
Physical Security Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 7, 2013
i did not like nor did i not not like working for cfia ever day.
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.
Meat Hygiene Inspector (Former Employee), Salmona Arm, BCOctober 27, 2013
Pros: benefits ad pension package
Cons: too much overtime
The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.
good first experience for a student
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 15, 2013
As my first intern-ship, I learned about different stages of research and about government strategies to harmonize.
To enjoy and maintaine a positive outlook to my days work!!!
Inspector (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 30, 2013
Pros: hours of work was great.
Cons: unit i worked in is being closed.
A typical day was to prepare your area of patrol and to enforce the acts and regulations of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Interact with the lumber industry, forestry industry and other levels of government to educate and enforce the program and ensure they were following the laws of the Agency.

I've learn so much about the Forestry and the Lumber – more... Industry and the problem they face everyday to maintain business.

Very much enjoyed working with a great Team of dedicated workers.

The hardest part of the job was working on surveys in the woods during bug season.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the drive into wilderness country and enjoy the wildlife and scenery . – less
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMay 24, 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. – more... Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same. – less
Amazing agency to work for
Inspector, Plant Health Programs (Former Employee), vancouver bcMay 12, 2013
Pros: outside work
Cons: contract work
My only wish is that there was more full time positions available
The people and company were great, it was a term employment
Administrative Assistant CR-04 (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I provided Administrative support to the Special Pathogens Unit, that included everything from obtaining and keeping track of Grants, Travel, Communication, organizing and maintaining purchase orders.
Great people
Data Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: contract
They were nice people to work for. My co-workers were great and I have kept in touch with a couple of them. I would have liked to work there on a perm basis.
Games
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: excellent salary
Cons: nil
SDS-PAGE (LPS); Western blotting (immunoblotting); silver and Coomassie blue stain; gel drying; cationic and urea PAGE;

Extraction of bacterial genomic DNA and plasmid DNA; restriction enzyme analysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; Southern blotting; preparation of hybridization probes; nick translation; autoradiography; ribotyping; transformation; – more... PCR; operation of UV spectrophotometer.

ELIFA (Enzyme Linked Immunofiltration Assay)
ELISA for diagnosis of Epizootic Haemorrhage Disease virus (EHD 1 & 2) Bluetongue; Pseudo-rabies and Vascular Stomatitis virus (New Jersey & Indiana) infection. Identification of campylobacter – less
Filing clerk
Records Clerk (Former Employee), OttawaOctober 19, 2012
Filing documents
Computer work
data entry
opening and closing of files
Work sites very political
Meat Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee), High River, AB.October 3, 2012
Pros: interesting work load
Cons: work site politics
Work day normally started @ 06:00 hrs and ended @ 14:00 hrs.
Instructed High Line Speed Certification course
Instructed Compliance Verification Course
Equipment and Building Approvals
Supervised 40 inspectors
Communicating with certain managers could be difficult at times
Being part of the solution to a concern or problem was most enjoyable
Amazing work environment with a wonderful team.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioAugust 29, 2012
I learned so much working for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Including but not limited to managing a large budget, arranging all aspects of travel including interpreters, hosting hospitality events, obtaining visa and all necessary travel documents. I also had the opportunity to meet and work with many wonderful people which made work very enjoyable.
Fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 14, 2012
Pros: hour long lunches
This job was a lot of fun. I was learning something new everyday. The most that I did was selection processes. The people there were really nice to me and always made me feel welcome.
Great place to gain IT experience
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), OttawaJuly 11, 2012
Pros: experience, learned alot
Cons: very low pay
I'm a technician, so I install and configure software, troubleshoot hardware issues, deploy desktops and laptops, deploy Blackberry devices, administer user accounts through active directory, and prepare new computers to agency standards.

I've learned a lot while at CFIA. I've honed my skills as a technician, and I've learned several new aspects of – more... IT support that I previously had no experience with. That it that most rewarding part of my job; my manager is very supportive of me trying new tasks. I have many co-workers around me that also support me when needed; I never hesistate to ask them questions. We all work great as a team. – less
Challenging environment.
Food inspector (Former Employee), Nova Scotia , New Brunswick and PEIJuly 10, 2012
Pros: salary, security.
Cons: stress of dealing with difficult people.
Typical day consists of convincing people to do things that they don't want to do, but they must do in the interest of food safety.
We have to enforce regulations concerning humane transport and handling of food animals as well as the production of food products.

Good job, good career.
Ready for a change.
Great experience with friendly coworkers
Financial Analyst (Summer Student) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2012
Completed tasks given to me by my manager. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel to analyze financial data. The managers and directors I worked for were friendly and understanding while providing me with challenging tasks to complete. I was difficult to acquire all the training due to my position being only summer employment.
Unending learning job opportunity and continuous involvement with different cultures and people
Government Inspector (Current Employee), High River, AlbertaApril 18, 2012
Pros: there are lots of room for improvement, discovering my effectivity
Cons: long drive
A strenuous and repetitive work requiring good physical state. I learn new things everyday about the Plant we audit and what we regulate on the establishment. Dealings with more than 2000 individuals may it be with management or the establishment's employees.•As Inspectors,"We are proud of the contributions we make to the quality of life of Canadians. – more... We value dedication and responsiveness from all employees day to day and, particularly, during an emergency."

•Through a strong framework of program, inspection and laboratory expertise we test for, and certify freedom from, for export purposes, animal and plant pathogens present in Canada. If required for export purposes, we also do so for animal and plant pathogens which are not present in Canada. – less
Excellent learning Work place
Supervisor of Import Operations (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2013
I had the opportunity to develop an in-depth knowledge about imports and export regulations.
Working in this government agency, I perfected the required qualifications-leadership, judgment, work organization- to be an excellent manager. I consider managing people the most challenging and fulfilling tasks of all, and I am glad I have had the opportunity – more... to excel in this domaine. – less
EMPLOYER AND HELPFUL
food inspector(poultry inspector) (Former Employee), TORONTO ,ONTARIO,CANADAFebruary 10, 2012
Pros: no
Cons: health care
VERY NICE GOVERNMENT AGENCY,WORKING AS FOOD INSPECTOR ,AUDIT THE COMPANY,DAY TO DAY HYGIENE REPORT AND PROCESSING CONTROL.CHECK ALL EXPORT.IMPROVE THE COMPANY IMAGE IN THE MARKET BY HARD WORK.
Adaptation et environnement de travail
NSERC Visiting Research Scientist (Current Employee), Lethbridge / AlbertaJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: beaucoup de nouvelle technologie en biologie moléculaire apprises
Cons: pas d'augmentation de salaire, ni une garantie de job pour longtemps.
J'ai été vite adapté dans cet environnement de travail. Le CFIA est une maison parfaite de recherche ou rien ne manque pour accomplir les travaux de recherche quelque soit la complexité. Chaque jour dans cet environnement on a plaisir a travail si bien que le temps passe très vite et on ne se rend même pas compte. Ceci est du au fait que l'ambiance – more... de travail est bien saine avec une complicité avec les collègues qui sont toujours prêts a t'apporter de l'aide face a des difficultés de compréhension d'un processus. Seulement ce qui est difficile dans ce milieu c,est l'obtention des opportunités pour des positions permanentes. Ce n'est pas facile de travailler dans un système de travail ou le lendemain est incertain pour l'emploi. – less