CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY

CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Intern
Intern (Former Employee), dartmouthJune 11, 2014
Pros: pay and staff
Best job I ever had but I was a intern for 6 months. Testing all foods before they go to groceries stores
Good work enviroment
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee), Brandon, MBJune 5, 2014
Pros: interesting work and good salery
Cons: repetative
I would like to tell you about my position as a Developmental Food Inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To ensure food safety, the Agency utilizes the CVS Program (Compliance Verification System) which involves aspects of Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement. As a Food Inspector for over thirteen years, I had the opportunity to maximize – more... my skills involving: CVS management/leadership, Communication, CVS organization, Research, Quality Assurance, Sample Testing and processing, Auditing computer/hard file data records, CVS program development and CVS training experience. I was also involved as PSAC Union Vice President Local 55 and Health and Safety representative.
I have also received Vocational Training as a Shop Stewart which involved organizing, managing of the Tool Shop, and the distribution, auditing of tools and equipment. As the Shop Stewart I also became familiar with operating construction power tools and hand tools. While managing as Shop Stewart I also carried out duties as Health and Safety representative. Ensuring construction crews followed Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, carried out daily Safety Checks within onsite construction project – less
Government
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMay 28, 2014
Political agendas made working here difficult. Management would often show favouritism. Constant changes to the business model announced, but no details given to employees, leading to much speculation and insecurity.
Student - shellfish sampling technician
Shellfish Sampling Technician (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEMay 19, 2014
Pros: good hours and management
Cons: only a student position
typical day would start off by planning our day / rest of the week. Then taking the government truck, pick up the boat, and collecting samples from specific locations.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 4, 2014
I enjoyed all aspects of my Career at the CFIA
Learned different programs based on the job requirements
Management was very co-operative
My co-workers helped me as a team
The hardest part of my job is we did not have a supervisor
on my shift I had to make decision on my own and we
were always short-staffed which I had to handle another
staff responsibility
I – more... enjoyed working in a fast pace industry and it was very
challenging. – less
N/a
Physical Security Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 7, 2013
i did not like nor did i not not like working for cfia ever day.
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.
Meat Hygiene Inspector (Former Employee), Salmona Arm, BCOctober 27, 2013
Pros: benefits ad pension package
Cons: too much overtime
The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.
Excellent learning Work place
Supervisor of Import Operations (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2013
I had the opportunity to develop an in-depth knowledge about imports and export regulations.
Working in this government agency, I perfected the required qualifications-leadership, judgment, work organization- to be an excellent manager. I consider managing people the most challenging and fulfilling tasks of all, and I am glad I have had the opportunity – more... to excel in this domaine. – less
good first experience for a student
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 15, 2013
As my first intern-ship, I learned about different stages of research and about government strategies to harmonize.
To enjoy and maintaine a positive outlook to my days work!!!
Inspector (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 30, 2013
Pros: hours of work was great.
Cons: unit i worked in is being closed.
A typical day was to prepare your area of patrol and to enforce the acts and regulations of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Interact with the lumber industry, forestry industry and other levels of government to educate and enforce the program and ensure they were following the laws of the Agency.

I've learn so much about the Forestry and the Lumber – more... Industry and the problem they face everyday to maintain business.

Very much enjoyed working with a great Team of dedicated workers.

The hardest part of the job was working on surveys in the woods during bug season.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the drive into wilderness country and enjoy the wildlife and scenery . – less
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMay 24, 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. – more... Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same. – less
Amazing agency to work for
Inspector, Plant Health Programs (Former Employee), vancouver bcMay 12, 2013
Pros: outside work
Cons: contract work
My only wish is that there was more full time positions available
The people and company were great, it was a term employment
Administrative Assistant CR-04 (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I provided Administrative support to the Special Pathogens Unit, that included everything from obtaining and keeping track of Grants, Travel, Communication, organizing and maintaining purchase orders.
Great people
Data Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: contract
They were nice people to work for. My co-workers were great and I have kept in touch with a couple of them. I would have liked to work there on a perm basis.
Games
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: excellent salary
Cons: nil
SDS-PAGE (LPS); Western blotting (immunoblotting); silver and Coomassie blue stain; gel drying; cationic and urea PAGE;

Extraction of bacterial genomic DNA and plasmid DNA; restriction enzyme analysis; agarose gel electrophoresis; Southern blotting; preparation of hybridization probes; nick translation; autoradiography; ribotyping; transformation; – more... PCR; operation of UV spectrophotometer.

ELIFA (Enzyme Linked Immunofiltration Assay)
ELISA for diagnosis of Epizootic Haemorrhage Disease virus (EHD 1 & 2) Bluetongue; Pseudo-rabies and Vascular Stomatitis virus (New Jersey & Indiana) infection. Identification of campylobacter – less
Filing clerk
Records Clerk (Former Employee), OttawaOctober 19, 2012
Filing documents
Computer work
data entry
opening and closing of files
Work sites very political
Meat Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee), High River, AB.October 3, 2012
Pros: interesting work load
Cons: work site politics
Work day normally started @ 06:00 hrs and ended @ 14:00 hrs.
Instructed High Line Speed Certification course
Instructed Compliance Verification Course
Equipment and Building Approvals
Supervised 40 inspectors
Communicating with certain managers could be difficult at times
Being part of the solution to a concern or problem was most enjoyable
Amazing work environment with a wonderful team.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioAugust 29, 2012
I learned so much working for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Including but not limited to managing a large budget, arranging all aspects of travel including interpreters, hosting hospitality events, obtaining visa and all necessary travel documents. I also had the opportunity to meet and work with many wonderful people which made work very enjoyable.
Fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Guelph, ONAugust 14, 2012
Pros: hour long lunches
This job was a lot of fun. I was learning something new everyday. The most that I did was selection processes. The people there were really nice to me and always made me feel welcome.
Great place to gain IT experience
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), OttawaJuly 11, 2012
Pros: experience, learned alot
Cons: very low pay
I'm a technician, so I install and configure software, troubleshoot hardware issues, deploy desktops and laptops, deploy Blackberry devices, administer user accounts through active directory, and prepare new computers to agency standards.

I've learned a lot while at CFIA. I've honed my skills as a technician, and I've learned several new aspects of – more... IT support that I previously had no experience with. That it that most rewarding part of my job; my manager is very supportive of me trying new tasks. I have many co-workers around me that also support me when needed; I never hesistate to ask them questions. We all work great as a team. – less