CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great staff and environment
File Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Pros: good pay and great overall staff
Cons: early morning work
The staff there are very kind and great to along with. Great working atmosphere and things get done there and people are willing to help if you have a problem. The job requires good computer skills, doing paperwork, and data entry. If you can read English and you are good at computers then you will enjoy this job.
The various committees had everyone involved all aspects of the organization.
Technical Officer (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntOctober 16, 2015
Pros: One could be able to learn about several different types of food and food products.
Cons: The work pace at certain time of the year, eg., Christmas, Easter
Pleasant and friendly place to work. It had many aspects whereby one could improve on knowledge and experience.

Management worked closely with the rest of the staff.

Courses and workshops were presented from time to time which made for a well rounded individual.

Duties consisted of work with both the public and private industry.
There was just enough variety in the job that one did not find it to be tedious.
Very Productive and Every day is a New day @ CFIA
lead, as an IM data modeler (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
It's one of the best places I ever worked at with wonderful people.
I learned a lot and progressed so much in my career at this place.
An exciting and happening place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment
Cons: Distance to and from work.
This government agency is a busy but really energized and positive work environment dedicated to the food and safety of the people of Canada and beyond. Working closely with Ottawa's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, they provide all the necessary inspection and safety regulations in our country. Imports and exports are also a big part of this Agency. The hardest part of the job was handling calls where, in the case of the Toronto office, many foreign language speaking people would call. That was a challenge. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork environment and seeing a project through to a positive end.
Lots of technology
Master Degree student and Summer student (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 2, 2014
I love to have easy access tothe newest and finest technology.
People are smart and I loveto be surrounded by different skilled sciences people.
I love my supervisor and the workplace is awesome
very good
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee), Brandon, MBJuly 27, 2014
Pros: variety of training
Cons: fixed plant work
 Inspection of Plant Facility and Equipment/Pre-Operational Inspections.
 Auditing Plant Computer Data Records and hard files.
 Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement of Plant Manual of Procedures.
 Acts and Regulations – Managing/ enforcement/ implementation, between CFIA and Plant Staff with regards to food safety.
 Enforcing Shipping and Labeling Regulations.
 Working in a Team Environment with CFIA staff, Laboratory technicians, Plant Quality Assurance and with Plant Supervisors.
 Online Inspections – Pathology detection/disposition.
 Ante-mortem/ Post-mortem Inspections - Pathology detection
 Sample Testing and processing/ Antibiotics/Trichina/E-Coli.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee), dartmouthJune 11, 2014
Pros: pay and staff
Best job I ever had but I was a intern for 6 months. Testing all foods before they go to groceries stores
Good work enviroment
Developmental Food Inspector (Former Employee), Brandon, MBJune 5, 2014
Pros: interesting work and good salery
Cons: repetative
I would like to tell you about my position as a Developmental Food Inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To ensure food safety, the Agency utilizes the CVS Program (Compliance Verification System) which involves aspects of Monitoring/Verification/Enforcement. As a Food Inspector for over thirteen years, I had the opportunity to maximize my skills involving: CVS management/leadership, Communication, CVS organization, Research, Quality Assurance, Sample Testing and processing, Auditing computer/hard file data records, CVS program development and CVS training experience. I was also involved as PSAC Union Vice President Local 55 and Health and Safety representative.
I have also received Vocational Training as a Shop Stewart which involved organizing, managing of the Tool Shop, and the distribution, auditing of tools and equipment. As the Shop Stewart I also became familiar with operating construction power tools and hand tools. While managing as Shop Stewart I also carried out duties as Health and Safety representative. Ensuring construction crews followed Health and Safety Acts and Regulations, carried out daily Safety Checks within onsite construction project
Government
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Guelph, ONMay 28, 2014
Political agendas made working here difficult. Management would often show favouritism. Constant changes to the business model announced, but no details given to employees, leading to much speculation and insecurity.
Student - shellfish sampling technician
Shellfish Sampling Technician (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEMay 19, 2014
Pros: good hours and management
Cons: only a student position
typical day would start off by planning our day / rest of the week. Then taking the government truck, pick up the boat, and collecting samples from specific locations.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 4, 2014
I enjoyed all aspects of my Career at the CFIA
Learned different programs based on the job requirements
Management was very co-operative
My co-workers helped me as a team
The hardest part of my job is we did not have a supervisor
on my shift I had to make decision on my own and we
were always short-staffed which I had to handle another
staff responsibility
I enjoyed working in a fast pace industry and it was very
challenging.
N/a
Physical Security Analyst (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 7, 2013
i did not like nor did i not not like working for cfia ever day.
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.
Meat Hygiene Inspector (Former Employee), Salmona Arm, BCOctober 27, 2013
Pros: benefits ad pension package
Cons: too much overtime
The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.
Excellent learning Work place
Supervisor of Import Operations (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2013
I had the opportunity to develop an in-depth knowledge about imports and export regulations.
Working in this government agency, I perfected the required qualifications-leadership, judgment, work organization- to be an excellent manager. I consider managing people the most challenging and fulfilling tasks of all, and I am glad I have had the opportunity to excel in this domaine.
good first experience for a student
Student Researcher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 15, 2013
As my first intern-ship, I learned about different stages of research and about government strategies to harmonize.
To enjoy and maintaine a positive outlook to my days work!!!
Inspector (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 30, 2013
Pros: hours of work was great.
Cons: unit i worked in is being closed.
A typical day was to prepare your area of patrol and to enforce the acts and regulations of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Interact with the lumber industry, forestry industry and other levels of government to educate and enforce the program and ensure they were following the laws of the Agency.

I've learn so much about the Forestry and the Lumber Industry and the problem they face everyday to maintain business.

Very much enjoyed working with a great Team of dedicated workers.

The hardest part of the job was working on surveys in the woods during bug season.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the drive into wilderness country and enjoy the wildlife and scenery .
great experience for a co-op work terrm
Primary Inspector (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMay 24, 2013
Typical day could be in the office doing data entry, in the field setting or monitoring insect traps, or in greenhouses collecting tissue samples. Learned a lot about working in the field independently, how to navigate in remote areas and how to process samples to be sent to a laboratory. Management was fair and easily assigned daily work assignments. Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with. Most difficult part of the job was talking to home owners who did not want government insect traps on their property. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a variety of assignments and no two days were the same.
Amazing agency to work for
Inspector, Plant Health Programs (Former Employee), vancouver bcMay 12, 2013
Pros: outside work
Cons: contract work
My only wish is that there was more full time positions available
The people and company were great, it was a term employment
Administrative Assistant CR-04 (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
I provided Administrative support to the Special Pathogens Unit, that included everything from obtaining and keeping track of Grants, Travel, Communication, organizing and maintaining purchase orders.
Great people
Data Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: contract
They were nice people to work for. My co-workers were great and I have kept in touch with a couple of them. I would have liked to work there on a perm basis.