Canadian Federation of Independent Business Employee Reviews in Canada

Work is very Independent.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 25, 2016
CFIB is a great career opportunity for people who like to work very independently and work on 100% commission. If you work hard you can make a great salary.
Great company, but working for Peanuts
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 3, 2016
Great innovation concept, to educate businesses. But will not compensate the outside Reps.
Minium pay structure of $800 a month and hasn't changed since 2009. Commissions based on getting businesses in Great Vancouver Area to sign up as members. 2009 membership fee per year was $350.00, no doubt fee membership has risen since 2009.

The problem is most businesses while they see the benefit of being part of CFIB they won't sign up. Be it the economic uncertainty in the business market are just not willing to sign up.

From what I know and seen there is a high turn-over of independent reps in BC. Every so often one can see new job posting to fill the position.
Pros
Independent.
Cons
No salary, no vehicle expenses, no cell phone expenses etc.

Comment – March 14, 2016

Thank you for posting your experience at CFIB. I’m happy you’ve noted your support of the basic mission of CFIB in serving independent business owners. I agree completely. I take all feedback on jobs at CFIB very seriously. As you know, the minimum pay structure is just that – a minimum that is there to support District Managers until they get into the groove of the job. Very few of our colleagues earn that minimum beyond the first few weeks. In fact, our turnover rates were down nearly 30% in 2015 following a focus on recruitment and recent changes to the compensation system. However, it isn’t a job for everyone. Those that like independence, defending a group of entrepreneurs who have few others in their corner and no upward cap on their earning potential do very well. Our employee survey had an over 80% completion rate and we had strong results in most areas of sales compensation (and we are looking carefully at some areas where we need to do more). I’m sorry that the role didn’t meet your expectations and am happy to have you contact me directly if there is any specific feedback you’d like to share. With 109,000 members across Canada and nearly 400 employees, I like to hold myself accountable to our members and colleagues and would be pleased to follow-up directly. Also, I wish you the absolute best on your future career efforts. Dan Kelly, President and CEO.

A great cause, but a very difficult job
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 23, 2016
Job entails signing new members to the small business advocacy group. So there is a lot of cold calling and the inevitable rejection along with it. The problem is that businesses receive the benefit of membership regardless if they join or not. If you do take over a territory expect either to be asked 'so your the new person and how long are you going to last?' or 'as I said to the last person I'm not interested in joining or rejoining'. So hopefully you will go into a territory will some low hanging fruit, if not, its a real grind.

That being said, it is a very good sales learning ground for newer motivated sales people that can build character and skill. You receive constant encouragement and training to help you succeed. So the people you work with are excellent and really supportive.
Pros
Great support, training and encouragement
Cons
Rejection, poor prospects, 100% commission
Amazing Place To Work
District Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioMarch 23, 2015
Being a district manager at CFIB has changed my life, and the life of many of my colleagues here at the federation. For the right candidate, there is no better job or organization to work for. There is a members first culture here at CFIB and it is more like joining a family run business. 60% of the job is meeting with existing members and 40% is adding new small business owners to CFIB. This can be done in a variety of way including cold calling, referrals from members, and referrals from CFIB partners. If you embrace the referral part of the job, the cold calling aspect of the job can be reduced to very little. There is a very good team atmosphere and our members are extremely supportive of the federation. New member generation is a necessary part of the job, but if you are able to work smart it really is not that difficult.

I was told I should expect 55-60K in my first year with the potential to earn more. In a very small rural territory, I have never earned less than $85,000 per year, not including the RRSP matching program and all the other incentives.

This job is not for everyone. There is very little administration and office work involved. If you are not a self-starter, self-motivated, or have a hard time experiencing and dealing with the rejection that comes with selling to business owners, this might not be the job for you. I am sure the hiring manager would be more than happy to discuss all of this with you should you interview for the District Manager position.

All I can say is that coming to work for CFIB was, by far and away, the best career decision. For the
  more... right person, this is a dream job with an organization that does so much for the independent business community and the Canadian economy.  less
Pros
mission of cfib, professionalism, generous compensation based on performance, culture
Cons
some cold calling necessary and rejection. if you can handle both of those, sky is the limit
Seems great at first
District Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioNovember 28, 2014
but they are becoming a meatgrinder. All the veterans are leaving or have left. There is no incentive to service members of develop leads for other territories. Literally all they care about is how many new memberships you sell. You can be exceptional in all other areas (say, retention) but they do not care at all.

They tell you in the interview that you have long-term disability but you don't have it unless you pay for it yourself. They regularly make errors on pay, so you have to watch it like a hawk, and when you catch them they shrug it off. You do not get paid sick days, so when I rushed back to work early after an illness, I OWED THEM MONEY.

With insurance and vehicle costs, it costs me $600 a month to do the job, none of which is compensated. That is half my draw, so if I have a bad month I make $600. The draw is recoverable, meaning that if I have a bad month, I owe them $1200.

They told me I would make over $50K in my first year; made $31K with bonuses, despite winning awards and being at second tier bonus. My pay has gone down since then. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere.

This is standard for anyone working in the District Manager position. The first thing I heard from members when I started was "who, they can't keep you guys very long can they?" from like 40% of members.

Also, they expect you to travel to meetings quarterly, and pay your lodging and mileage, but not time, and they are really cheap with accommodations and food. Despite you giving up your weekend, you get no free time or activities.
Pros
you manage your own time.
Cons
low pay, poor benefits, no incentive to service members
Very good position for a person who has a strickly sales mentality.
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 4, 2012
The values and cause of the company is great however the old school approach of door knocking to get business is a tough one to do day in and out. Typical day is parking your vehicle in your designated territory and pounding the pavement knocking on independant business owner's doors in hope of getting a moment of their time to do your presentation. This is the hardest and most frustrating part of the position. The interaction with people, the discussions, educating and helping was the highlight.
Pros
the cause, the people
Cons
door knocking, cold calling
manage 700 members
District Manager (Current Employee) –  NLAugust 28, 2012
meet with cfib members and add new members, lobby goverment to protect the investments of businesses owners and prevent rules and regulation or eliminate rules and regulation that would affect businesses
CFIB is a very family orientated organization
District Manager (Current Employee) –  ONNovember 6, 2013