Canadian Federation of Independent Business Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Seems great at first
District Manager (Current Employee), OntarioNovember 28, 2014
Pros: you manage your own time.
Cons: low pay, poor benefits, no incentive to service members
but they are becoming a meatgrinder. All the veterans are leaving or have left. There is no incentive to service members of develop leads for other territories. Literally all they care about is how many new memberships you sell. You can be exceptional in all other areas (say, retention) but they do not care at all.

They tell you in the interview that you have long-term disability but you don't have it unless you pay for it yourself. They regularly make errors on pay, so you have to watch it like a hawk, and when you catch them they shrug it off. You do not get paid sick days, so when I rushed back to work early after an illness, I OWED THEM MONEY.

With insurance and vehicle costs, it costs me $600 a month to do the job, none of which is compensated. That is half my draw, so if I have a bad month I make $600. The draw is recoverable, meaning that if I have a bad month, I owe them $1200.

They told me I would make over $50K in my first year; made $31K with bonuses, despite winning awards and being at second tier bonus. My pay has gone down since then. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere.

This is standard for anyone working in the District Manager position. The first thing I heard from members when I started was "who, they can't keep you guys very long can they?" from like 40% of members.

Also, they expect you to travel to meetings quarterly, and pay your lodging and mileage, but not time, and they are really cheap with accommodations and food. Despite you giving up your weekend, you get no free time or activities.
CFIB is a very family orientated organization
District Manager (Current Employee), ONNovember 6, 2013
great organization VERY EFFECTIVE lobby group for small business
Very good position for a person who has a strickly sales mentality.
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: the cause, the people
Cons: door knocking, cold calling
The values and cause of the company is great however the old school approach of door knocking to get business is a tough one to do day in and out. Typical day is parking your vehicle in your designated territory and pounding the pavement knocking on independant business owner's doors in hope of getting a moment of their time to do your presentation. This is the hardest and most frustrating part of the position. The interaction with people, the discussions, educating and helping was the highlight.
manage 700 members
District Manager (Current Employee), NLAugust 28, 2012
meet with cfib members and add new members, lobby goverment to protect the investments of businesses owners and prevent rules and regulation or eliminate rules and regulation that would affect businesses